inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fresh or Artificial?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/28/05 at 12:23 pm

My family has always had a fresh tree at Christmas, and I could never see breaking that tradition!  :)

Subject: Re: Fresh or Artificial?

Written By: whistledog on 11/28/05 at 12:25 pm

I always go for the artificial tree.  I'd someday love to have a real one, but it's alot of work maintaining them over Christmas

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/28/05 at 12:37 pm

I have always LOVED fresh. But when I was married the first time, we had an artificial that I hated. And then when I was living alone, I also had a artificial one. That could have been the reason why I hated Christmas so much at that time. Now, that I am with Carlos, WHEN we do get a tree (we don't get one if we are going away which we have done in the last several years), it is ALWAYS a fresh one.

Cat

Written By: YWN on 11/28/05 at 12:50 pm

My family has been using the same artificial tree for years.

Written By: Apricot on 11/28/05 at 12:53 pm

We have a Fake Plastic Tree... like in that Radiohead song!

Written By: Southern Image on 11/28/05 at 1:12 pm

Although I do like the smell of fresh trees. I hate the mess they leave behind. We are doing FAKE this year. I won't have to worry about watering it and hoping my house doesn't go up in flames. I won't have to deal with the garbage men hassling me either, on where my tree should be left on the curb  ;)

Written By: MLB on 11/28/05 at 2:28 pm

Sad but my momma was allergic so we had only one or two live trees my entire youth, and now that we've lost her and it's our first christmas w'out mom  we aren't in any mood to go pick a live tree from the farm .

Written By: gemini on 11/28/05 at 2:40 pm

The last live tree we had made a terrible mess, and I don't like worrying about the fire hazard, so we have an artificial one. Although, I'd love to have a vintage silver tree from the 50s, complete with color wheel! They go for pretty penny though  :(

Written By: Paul on 11/28/05 at 2:43 pm

When I was still at home with my folks, we broke all tradition and had a real tree one year...

Big mistake! We were forever vacuuming under and near the thing with the amount of 'shedding'...no joke, you only had to breathe on this thing and a mountain of needles would suddenly materialise on the floor...!

So, from then on, all the family has stuck to artificial...

Now, if someone could invent a tree that will bring itself down from the loft when needed, decorate itself, clean itself up and put itself back up in the loft when finished, I'd be dead impressed...!!

Written By: MLB on 11/28/05 at 2:48 pm

I think the onlyt way you ^ are going to get that today is to make a video of someone else decorating their own tree then take it home and watch that. no muss no fuss, pretty lights whenever you wish to see them.  A lot like the digital yule log fireplace for those who have no such luck as to have bare wall where I have fire place.

Written By: IanWinn on 11/28/05 at 3:24 pm

When I was still at home with my folks, we broke all tradition and had a real tree one year...

Big mistake! We were forever vacuuming under and near the thing with the amount of 'shedding'...no joke, you only had to breathe on this thing and a mountain of needles would suddenly materialise on the floor...!

So, from then on, all the family has stuck to artificial...

Now, if someone could invent a tree that will bring itself down from the loft when needed, decorate itself, clean itself up and put itself back up in the loft when finished, I'd be dead impressed...!!

We go with artificial for the same reason.  Last year, we got a new artificial tree that was pre-lit.  Guh-Roovy!  The lights, though, are clear, not colored like they were advertised, but I just wrap a string of colored lights around it during decorating.  The rest of the lights go outside for the house.  Some people have already put up their lights!  I'm gonna have to get busy...

Written By: danootaandme on 11/28/05 at 3:32 pm

Fake, I am allergic, when I was a kid I  always got sick around Christmas and they thought it was
"all the excitement".  I always felt guilty throwing the tree away, too, so I was kinda glad when I
found out the sickness was really allergy, giving me an excuse not to have one.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/28/05 at 5:38 pm

We get a fresh/live tree every year.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 11/28/05 at 5:50 pm

Artificial all the way. You can never find fresh trees that live up to your standards, and the prices they charge are outrageous.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/28/05 at 7:41 pm

Artificial

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/28/05 at 10:53 pm

REAL!! don't get me started[i'm the poster child for real trees :D..there's nothing like 'em

Written By: jackas on 11/28/05 at 10:57 pm

Fresh, as if!!!! 

I thought only old people used fake trees. ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/28/05 at 11:03 pm

Our family needs to save money, so we just use the same tree each year  ;D

Also, we'd rather not clean up all the stuff the tree leaves... and.. well.. I guess that's it.

Written By: jackas on 11/28/05 at 11:05 pm

Our family needs to save money, so we just use the same tree each year

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/28/05 at 11:23 pm

Yeah, I can understand if it's a money issue.

Written By: Tam on 11/29/05 at 12:44 am

Definitely artificial

I too am allergic.
Plus, I couldn't imagine the mess from my two cats trying to climb in the dang thing!
Bad enough that the balls get tossed all over the house!!! :o :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/29/05 at 8:36 am

Surprisingly, our cats leave our tree alone. Several years ago, my parents had this little black cat named Chester, he was running down the open stairs and he literally jumped into the tree and knocked the entire thing over!! :o ;D

Written By: karen on 11/29/05 at 8:47 am

We had a fresh tree the first year we were married because my husband had always had one at home (his father worked for the Forestry Commission).  It was so much work cleaning up afterwards.  I swear there were still needles in the carpet years afterwards.

We've had the same artificial tree for the past 10 years or so now.

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 11/29/05 at 10:07 am

I alternate. Fresh one year , fake the next.  Depends on the price and look of the trees. This year I got small fresh tree.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/29/05 at 1:58 pm

REAL!! don't get me started[i'm the poster child for real trees :D..there's nothing like 'em

Written By: nally on 11/29/05 at 2:01 pm

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/29/05 at 2:16 pm

Fresh

Written By: rich1981 on 11/29/05 at 3:05 pm

A fresh tree, for my family has been buying them for years.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/29/05 at 3:29 pm

We always had a fresh douglas fir tree every Christmas. One year we had an artificial and the painstaking time it took to insert each branch into the trunk of the tree made me vow that artificial wasn't worth it. I know they have those pop up styles, but come on' this is Christmas - it isn't Christmas in a box!

Written By: Paul on 11/29/05 at 3:49 pm

I thought only old people used fake trees. ;D

Well, we do...

...here! Hang on a minute!

Written By: whitewolf on 11/29/05 at 4:01 pm

real one

Check for new replies or respond here...