inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music Format

Written By: whistledog on 11/29/05 at 1:49 am

I still love Cassette tapes.

Subject: Re: Music Format

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/29/05 at 1:51 am

is there any question? vinyl of course! i adore my records 8)..however,for everyday listening it's Cds and MP3s :)

Written By: Paul on 11/29/05 at 7:09 am

During my lifetime, I think I've gone through all the above...!

But I'm impressed by mp3's (mind you, I was 'impressed' by everything else at one point!)...

Like Maria, I've still got colossal amounts of plastic littering the place (sentimental value, or too lazy to get rid of 'em...I couldn't say!)

Written By: Apricot on 11/29/05 at 7:42 am

Personally, I think Vinyl is the coolest.

But seeing as my musicians (except Ween, oddly enough, they do) don't make vinyl, I go with MP3.

And then, when I need a backup of my MP3s (I don't trust an MP3 over a solid copy... I always just something I can touch over something that's understood to be there), I use a CD, because they convert easily into MP3s.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/29/05 at 4:48 pm

I use vinyl, CD, and MP3

Vinyl... well, it looks nice. You can also skip to any part easily. BUT.. you get the hissing and crackling. It's also easy to mess up.
CD's... I use them for my stereo in my room. I use them a lot, also for mixed CD's, but the one I use the most is:

MP3... I carry it all in my pocket  :)

But I still buy CD's, and vinyl. I like having the artwork too

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/29/05 at 5:02 pm

Vinyl would be of use if I had a player.  ::) (although I have some old records around the place I bought in bulk from second hand music stores)

CDs are still nice to have. No point ruling them out just yet. It actually feels as if you are in possesion of something, as opposed to an MP3 which can be deleted straight away.

But MP3s are the best, they are portable and can be moved anywhere. I just need an mp3 player...  :D

Written By: Howard on 11/29/05 at 5:21 pm

Cassette Tape & Compact Disc.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 11/29/05 at 5:28 pm

I love vinyl.

Cassettes just suck all the way around. I've never liked those.

Written By: YWN on 11/29/05 at 5:34 pm

I hate cassettes...  I just...hate them.  I would always get pissed about how the tape got messed up. 

I would LIKE to use mp3s...but I don't have an mp3 player...you know, besides my computer.  I buy a CD and rip it to my computer later.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/29/05 at 5:47 pm

Cassettes are useful when your car (well, not mine as I don't own a car) radio doesn't have a disk player, and radio only goes up to 90FM.

Apart from that, can't see much use for them now, not even for taping from the radio as you can do that via computers.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/29/05 at 6:33 pm

I don't care for tapes much, especially the fact that they take so long to rewind... but my mic works best on the tape recorder!  :)

But 8 tracks.. I wonder how those are...

Written By: Apricot on 11/29/05 at 6:45 pm

I hate cassettes...

Written By: Paul on 11/30/05 at 7:33 am

But 8 tracks.. I wonder how those are...

Obsolete, I think you'll find...!!

Written By: Paul on 11/30/05 at 7:35 am

[quote author=

Written By: whistledog on 11/30/05 at 11:40 am

Obsolete, I think you'll find...!!

The last known 8-Track was made in 1988.  If memory serves, it was 'Small World' by Huey Lewis and the News

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/30/05 at 12:47 pm

I adore listening to my old cassettes and records, but CD's are overall the best format to listen to for overall qaulity and durability. Although, MP3's are getting better and better..

Written By: Apricot on 11/30/05 at 2:23 pm

You'll find (such is the downturn of cassettes now) that CD players are fitted into cars as 'standard' now...

...once they ironed out the problems of CD's jumping all over the place when you went over a bump, there was no stopping 'em...

Yeah, but I know a lot of people who stick to their old cars as long as they can.

Written By: Howard on 11/30/05 at 4:11 pm

I think Vinyls are ok but very outdated. ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/02/05 at 7:33 am

I feel "old school" even as far as "old school" goes, but gosh dangit, I like cassettes. :)

Maybe I'm just attached because I grew up with them. Whether it was us (i.e. my parents, or me once I got to be about 11-12) buying new ones, or all the mixes my uncle, and later mom and dad, made, I just got completely attached to it as a format.

Of course I don't have everything from the old days (alot got taped over/lost/eaten, whatever), but what is left feels like memories. The format feels very "comfortable" to me, if that makes sense. I still buy tons of used tapes at Goodwill/thrift shops and secondhand record stores. I'm also probably one of the few people on Earth who still make "tape to tape" mixes and use a Walkman almost daily. ;D

Now, don't get me wrong, that all having been said, I'm equally appreciative of today's technology. I have tons of songs burned to my computer (around 1800 now -- and only 1750 are 80's, LOL), a pretty big CD collection. Recently I've gotten into "burning" CD's too. When I have the money, I might look into getting an Ipod or something of the like too.

Written By: karen on 12/02/05 at 7:39 am

I have an LP collection (not very big but they are all goodies in my opinion), some decent cassettes and some CDs.  I had to buy the CDs because my car came with a CD and radio whereas previously it was cassettes.  I like the ability to skip about between tracks or use the random setting on long journeys.  Sound quality doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/02/05 at 10:04 am

^ You know, as far as sound quality goes, there isn't near as much difference between CD's and tapes as is commonly said. Unless the tape is shot, chances are it'll be just as good soundwise.

I did a test once using one of those "dual tape + CD" boomboxes. I taped a few seconds of a song from a cassette copy of the album, then followed it with a few seconds of a CD copy of the same album.

Listening to it back to back, the CD recording was, like 2% better, if that. If I weren't listening, I wouldn't have been able to tell. Also, some machines record better or louder than others, but that's another story.

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/05 at 12:32 pm

One thing I don't like about tapes is when the little felt squares fall out and I have to glue them back on  :\'(

Alot of old cassette tapes from the late 70's and early 80's (usually made by Capitol Records), I find don't work.  The sound gets mangled because the tape is so old, it gets caught inside the spool  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 12/02/05 at 2:00 pm

I'm not an Mp3 person I'm more of an old school Vinyl,Cassette and CD kind of guy.

Check for new replies or respond here...