inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Christmas episodes of television series

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/03/05 at 4:28 am

What are your favorite christmas episodes of television series (both past and present)?  I guess you should probably say *why* they are your faves.  Are they funny?  What made them so funny?  Are they touching?  Why?

One of my faves is Merry Christmas Mr. Bean. 

Why?
Mr Bean purchases his Christmas decorations at Harrods; collects money for and then conducts a Salvation Army band; steals the town centre Christmas tree; enjoys the free entertainment provided by carol singers; stuffs himself inside the biggest turkey in the world; and manages to upset his woebegone girlfriend Irma over Christmas Day lunch.

Subject: Re: Favorite Christmas episodes of television series

Written By: stingr22 on 12/03/05 at 8:35 am

The Waltons "Homecoming" episode.

This was the pilot episode for The Waltons.  The parents are different, but all the kids and grandparents are the same.  I remember watching it as a kid.  It takes place in Virginia during the depression.  John Walton (the dad) is off in another town working.  He is supposed to be home for Christmas.  The family hears on the radio that a bus had wrecked between that town and their town and several people had been killed.  The whole family was very scared, fearing that was the bus that their dad was on.  If you want to know how it turns out, get the DVD.  I bought it for my mom at Wal-Mart last year.  I saw it there again the other day.  I've also seen it at Blockbuster.  Very good quality.  Worth watching.  You may be able to catch it on TV at some point this season.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/03/05 at 1:57 pm

What are your favorite christmas episodes of television series (both past and present)?

Written By: nally on 12/03/05 at 3:27 pm

Trapped inside the quote box, huh? ;)

Written By: whistledog on 12/03/05 at 5:56 pm

I liked that old Family Matters one where Steve accidentally throws away Laura's old Teddy Bear (I believe it was), so he goes down to the dump, and spends all night looking for it

Written By: loki 13 on 12/03/05 at 6:06 pm

two of my favorites were both M*A*S*H episodes.
One when Hawkeye,BJ and Margaret changed the
time of death of a soldier so he would not have died on
Christmas.The other is when Hawkeye descends from a
helicopter in a Santa suit.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/03/05 at 7:25 pm

One when Hawkeye,BJ and Margaret changed the
time of death of a soldier so he would not have died on
Christmas.

That was a great episode.  Makes me cry every time I see it.

I can't really think of any others right now.  Most of them are take offs on either It's a Wonderful Life or A Christmas Carol.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/03/05 at 10:06 pm

Trapped inside the quote box, huh? ;)

ah shucks...I hate when that happens! LOL! :D

Written By: nally on 12/04/05 at 10:29 am

"Full House" had three Christmas themed episodes: #31 (where they had to spend the holiday in an airport), #132 (where they had it at home...that one was good), and #179 (when Jesse and Michelle went to the novelty store on Christmas Eve to exchange a gift but the store owner (played by special guest star Mickey Rooney) flat out refused.

Edit: somehow the rest of my post got cut off, and I don't know why. I shall retype it later.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/04/05 at 11:57 am

I remember enjoying The Brady Bunch Christmas Reunion (I think that's what it was called, as they were grown up with children). I liked it better than I thought I would. Yet, I was a wide eyed 10 year old in 1992 and anything probably would've caught my fancy.

Written By: whistledog on 12/04/05 at 5:23 pm

"Full House" had three Christmas themed episodes: #31 (where they had to spend the holiday in an airport), #132 (where they had it at home...that one was good), and #179 (when Jesse and Michelle went to the novelty store on Christmas Eve to exchange a gift but the store owner

Written By: nally on 12/04/05 at 5:44 pm

^ Yes, Mickey Rooney was great in his special guest role.

I will now elaborate on that one: Michelle gets a gift for Danny but then wants to go exchange it, so she and Jesse head out to the store, but the arrogant shopkeeper, Mr. Dreghorn (Rooney) refuses because Jesse and Michelle don't have the receipt, so he detains them in the store, attempting to have them arrested or something. Meanwhile, back home, Stephanie and DJ struggle to help Joey put on his Santa Claus suit, and Nicky and Alex come by and see this, and think Santa is attacking the girls, which makes the boys think Santa is a bad guy. So Rebecca and Danny attempt to cure the boys of their Santa-phobia by convincing them that Santa is not so bad after all. At the store, Michelle and Jesse eventually find out why Mr. Dreghorn is in such a bitter mood: he hasn't seen his family in ages; they've all moved far away. So as a friendly gesture, Michelle invites him to come over to the Tanner residence...which he agrees to...in a Santa suit. Back home, while Danny and Becky successfully help the twins overcome their Santa-phobia, in comes Dreghorn in a Santa suit...and a bag of goodies for everyone. In addition, Dreghorn is able to use a cordless phone to call his family.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/04/05 at 6:27 pm

I remember enjoying The Brady Bunch Christmas Reunion (I think that's what it was called, as they were grown up with children). I liked it better than I thought I would. Yet, I was a wide eyed 10 year old in 1992 and anything probably would've caught my fancy.

That was called A Very Brady Christmas and it is my favourite too.

What's not to like, especially with Maureen McCormack in it?  :P

Written By: Skippy on 12/06/05 at 7:00 pm

The Andy Griffith Show Christmas episode wher mean ol' Ben Weaver had Andy evict a family because they couldn't pay their rent. Andy arranged it so the family could have Christmas in the courthouse.

Written By: nally on 12/07/06 at 5:16 pm

Tis' the season once again...anyone else have a favorite christmas episode of a particular tv series they'd like to share?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/07/06 at 6:01 pm

That was called A Very Brady Christmas and it is my favourite too.

What's not to like, especially with Maureen McCormack in it?   :P

And, it looks like the A Very Brady Christmas was made in 1988, not 1992 (like I noted up above). I guess I remember seeing it reran on the "Family Channel" in 1992.

Written By: spaceace on 12/07/06 at 6:12 pm

The Christmas Episode of Punky Brewster :)  All time fav.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/08/06 at 8:21 pm

I liked the Christmas episode of St. Elsewhere where Dr. Axelrod kills Santa (well...a guy dressed up as Santa (naturally) and he did everything he could to save him.)  It was a good episode and I found it on videotape years ago and got Stephen Furst (Dr. Axelrod) to autograph it at a Star Trek convention.

Written By: nally on 12/18/07 at 6:29 pm

With the holiday season once again upon us, I'd like to bump this thread back up again.

I have some favourite holiday episodes, as I shared already...but I think I'd like to talk about one or more of them again.

"Full House" had three Christmas themed episodes: #31 (where they had to spend the holiday in an airport), #132 (where they had it at home...that one was good), and #179 (when Jesse and Michelle went to the novelty store on Christmas Eve to exchange a gift but the store owner (played by special guest star Mickey Rooney) arrogantly refused).

In the Christmas episode of the 8th season of "FH", as I started to mention, Jesse and Michelle return to a novelty store exchange a gift, but the store owner, played by special guest star Mickey Rooney, arrogantly refuses, so he decides to detain them, planning to arrest them for shoplifting. Eventually, Jesse and Michelle find out why Mr. Dregghorn (Mickey Rooney) is so bitter: he hasn't seen his family in a very long time...so Michelle and Jesse make amends with him, and invite him back to their place for Christmas. Back home, Nicky and Alex develop Santa-phobia, because they notice that Stephaine and DJ seem to be struggling to help Joey put on his Santa Claus outfit; seeing this, the twins think Santa was attacking the girls, so they get the idea that Santa is a bad guy; this prompts Danny and Rebecca to help the twins overcome their fear. As soon as they become "unafraid", Michelle and Jesse, along with Mr. Dregghorn (dressed as Santa Claus) enter the house...and the family lets Mr. D. use their phone to call his family. :)

Written By: whistledog on 12/18/07 at 7:10 pm

Season 2 of Family Ties.  Alex is Bah-humbug for Christmas, so while he sleeps, the ghosts of Christmas past and future (who strangely resemble his sisters) show him that Christmas isn't all that bad

Season 2 of Moonlighting.  At the end of the episode, David and Maddie walk out the door to where it is revealed they are on a set, and you can see the whole cast and crew as they all sing a christmas carol while it snows

Check for new replies or respond here...