inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Homeschooling...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/06/05 at 8:41 pm

Personally, I am against homeschooling. I don't think that kids get the same sort of opportunities in homeschool, then they would going to a regular public school.  I feel that it is important for a child to be able to interact with other kids, participate in different school activities and/or sports, and not be sheltered their entire life.  I mean, what will happen once the child graduates and attempts to go to college?  They will not be used to the "typical" school scene, and I feel that it would be more difficult for them to adapt to the new surroundings.

Subject: Re: Homeschooling...

Written By: FelineFrenzy on 12/06/05 at 8:54 pm

I voted other.  I think that homeschooling is not the best idea in most cases.  On occasion it's ok when the child has dicipline problems or learning disabilities that can't be addressed at school.

Written By: shiprunner12 on 12/06/05 at 9:02 pm

I voted other. I believe in some cases that homeschooling is best for a child, but a lot of the time public school is better. It seems that some parents would like to shield there kids from things that go on in public schools such as bullying, racial tensions, threats, and in an attempt to fit in they may make some mistakes. For children that aren't able to get along very well with others I believe homeschooling should be the way to go until they are able to get the child to act appropriately around others their age. Although, once they get to middle school they should be given the choice of whether they want to be homeschooled still or go to a public school. I do agree that public school teaches us things socially that we wouldn't learn being homeschooled. I'm glad that my parents chose to put me and keep me in a public school, because otherwise I wouldn't have many friends or be able to participate in cross country or track.

Written By: YWN on 12/06/05 at 9:18 pm

Hey, I'm homeschooled, so...  I guess this would be my area of expertise.

Well, academically speaking, it is better.  Since your "teacher" is focusing on you (and perhaps siblings) and not an entire class, you benefit more.

However...it is pretty lonely, in my case, depressing to some extent.  Homeschoolers don't get to see their friends everyday like public schoolers, although there are some extracurricular programs where they can get together (homeschoolers have a "base" school they send their report cards to, etc.).

Written By: whistledog on 12/06/05 at 9:29 pm

Homeschooling is not a good idea.  Kids definately need to be able to interact with other kids.  It gives them a fun learning experience. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/06/05 at 11:34 pm

I went to regular school between pre-school and 8th grade. I chose homeschooling afterwards. I liked my homeschooling as I still had to go to the school and interact, so it wasn't like I was stuck at home all day long - it was just less interaction.

I don't think homeschooling is really a bad thing after grade school. Most kids who go into Junior high and High School tend to not focus much due to being insecure in front of their peers, or partying or getting in with the wrong crowds. I think these days, schools are a lot scarier than they were in the 50's/60's/70's and partially 80's. If I lived in a city like Richmond, CA (which has the highest murder rate in our county) I'd be frightened to go to school everyday. If it means for safety, sometimes homeschooling may be worth it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/05 at 12:36 pm

I voted FOR.  All of Carlos' kids were homeschooled. His oldest got her PhD at the age of 25 (?).  However there are pros and cons  to homeschooling (just like there are pros and cons to public education).  As a few people mentioned, lack of peer interaction. However, there are ways around that. Someone did mention about getting together with other homeschoolers. I met this kid who was homeschooled yet he took gym (and I think other classes-i.e. music, art, etc.) at the local school. Another drawback could be how/what parents teach. If the parents are not eduated in a subject (and don't know how to get educated) that can be dangerous. One major pro is that study plans are geared toward the kid. In a classroom setting, you have to try to figure out how to keep the advanced kids engaged while trying to keep the less advanced kids from falling too far behind.

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/07/05 at 1:38 pm

Well, there are a lot of different ways to "homeschool" someone. The word "home" doesn't denote that the parent is the teacher. Homeschooling really has taken on different meanings in recent years.

1) Go to a Base School (like Sheth mentioned) and have a once-a-week one on one hour with a teacher.

2) Strictly be taught at home by parents who've been certified to do so.

3) Be taught at home but when you are of age, can take community college courses to "interact" with others as well as earn double credit.

For everyone, the approach can be different. If one kid seems more appropriate for homeschooling and is responsible, I would approve of it. If the child seems clearly uncomfortable being home all the time and seeks interaction, public school may be the better option. Sometimes it just works better for others. There are always shades of grey.

I went to a base school which required I also do a certain amount of time in a math lab, computer lab and also conduct my own field trips. I also had to go to a study hall twice a week and interact with kids my age. I also had art classes, some P.E., etc. Yet, because I still knew kids from my days in public school I still interacted with them and went to my Senior Ball as well as some Highschool football games. I really don't feel all that deprived.

Written By: Apricot on 12/07/05 at 2:04 pm

While there is the advantage of having one-on-one tutoring with a parent and the added bonus of being able to keep your child away from the issues facing school today, I am against homeschooling. For the most part, those problems you see in the schools are NOT that severe. If you are in a district where it is so, I understand homeschooling. However, it robs children of the time to develop their social skills properly. Public school teaches you how to work with others in a somewhat office-like setting... homeschool isolates.

Written By: YWN on 12/07/05 at 2:16 pm

1) Go to a Base School (like Sheth mentioned) and have a once-a-week one on one hour with a teacher.

The only time I did this was for the Standard Achievement Test in seventh grade.  I don't go to any school, but my mom sends my report cards to this school.  I'll have to ask her about some kind of activity.

Written By: Morton on 12/07/05 at 2:19 pm

I suppose home-schooling has its positives and negatives.
It's good because it means you're focusing on one person, so they're not getting distracted or causing trouble like they would if they were in a class with other kids, and as a result they learn more
But it's bad because it's lonely for the kid because they won't get to make new friends or see any other kids as often

Personally, I don't mind either, but overall i'm pretty neutral about the whole thing  :-\\

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/07/05 at 2:23 pm

While there is the advantage of having one-on-one tutoring with a parent and the added bonus of being able to keep your child away from the issues facing school today, I am against homeschooling. For the most part, those problems you see in the schools are NOT that severe. If you are in a district where it is so, I understand homeschooling. However, it robs children of the time to develop their social skills properly. Public school teaches you how to work with others in a somewhat office-like setting... homeschool isolates.

I agree children who are between pre-school and junior high should go to a regular school. If I hadn't gone during those years, I truly would have felt deprived. In one sense I was isolated because I went to a private school during my formative years, yet I thrived in that setting. I think it's good to test the waters rather than assume the child be homeschooled as soon as that time happens.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/07/05 at 2:25 pm

The only time I did this was for the Standard Achievement Test in seventh grade.

Written By: Apricot on 12/07/05 at 2:38 pm

I agree children who are between pre-school and junior high should go to a regular school.

Well, to send them to homeschool after that would be wrong. As they leave Middle School, they enter adolesence, where their friends become very important to them.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/07/05 at 2:40 pm

Well, to send them to homeschool after that would be wrong. As they leave Middle School, they enter adolesence, where their friends become very important to them.

It really depends on the person.

To add to that, it's not like I'm saying they're forced to go to homeschool after that. But, if it's a mutual decision between the child and parent, I don't see the harm in it.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/07/05 at 3:38 pm

It really depends on the person.

To add to that, it's not like I'm saying they're forced to go to homeschool after that. But, if it's a mutual decision between the child and parent, I don't see the harm in it.

I don't see kids that age as being able to make that kind of decision.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/07/05 at 3:47 pm

I don't see kids that age as being able to make that kind of decision.

It would be a mutual decision, if it even arose. If homeschooling is an option I don't see why people can't explore it.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/07/05 at 3:50 pm

We choose to home school our kids because we had negative experiences with both the public schools and the "campus school" at Potsdam college.  We formed several home schooling groups which met 1 or 2 times a week so all the kids - of many ages - could interact.  My oldest daughter enrolled in specific classes in high school, like advanced math, and was bored out of her gourd, so she enrolled in pre-calculus at our local college - aced the course at 16 and was asked to be a mentor.  She now has a Ph D in biology, which she got at 25.  My 2nd daughter  graduated from High School after being home schooled for many years. and is now studying to be a nurse, after takling time out to become a mother to my wonderful grand daughter.  I could go on.

The point is that home schooling can work, especially in a secular environment that encourages learning and not faith.  My fear is that too many people opt for home schooling to shield there kids from rational, secular education, so as to provide them with a religious based educatioin.

Written By: Howard on 12/07/05 at 3:55 pm

What is homeschooling?  ???

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/07/05 at 3:57 pm

Thank you, Don Carlos. You put that very well. It really proves that homeschooling can go both ways.

Written By: YWN on 12/07/05 at 5:04 pm

I agree children who are between pre-school and junior high should go to a regular school. If I hadn't gone during those years, I truly would have felt deprived. In one sense I was isolated because I went to a private school during my formative years, yet I thrived in that setting. I think it's good to test the waters rather than assume the child be homeschooled as soon as that time happens.

I also went to a private school...kindergarten to fifth grade.  Then the principal turned out to be a lying bitch and a gang of boys replaced my bottle water with toilet water and my parents had had it, so they started homeschooling me in sixth grade.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/07/05 at 5:11 pm

What is homeschooling?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/07/05 at 7:01 pm

You guys all made some excellent points concerning this issue (for and against)!  Here's another similar topic that I would like to address as well. Are you guys familiar with cyber-schooling?  This seems to be the latest trend in our area and I was wondering if it is popular where you all are from?  Basically what it consists of is a student, staying at home and learning via the computer (online courses, online classroom, online tests, etc.)  When you sign up for the charter cyber-school...they supply you with a computer, internet service, etc.  You spend so many hours with online learning. I know a few families that have put their child through this (mainly high school level), and some have liked it and others have not.  What are you opinions on this option? Do you think that it is better, worse or equal to traditional home-schooling?
Personally, I do not like any option that forces the child to "teach themselves" or secludes them from other children or activities.  Also, how healthy is it to be online for that long, nearly everyday of the week?  AND, it takes a very disciplined child to focus on the class/studies itself without letting themself wander to other websites not pertaining to their studies, etc.  What do you guys think?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/07/05 at 7:49 pm

You guys all made some excellent points concerning this issue (for and against)!

Written By: Dagwood on 12/07/05 at 8:58 pm

I am all for it.  I would love to homeschool my daughter, but I don't have the patience and she doesn't listen to me as well as she does her teacher.  If I could she would be homeschooled in a heartbeat.  She would get plenty of social interaction with her peers at church and other activities she is involved in (girl scouts, etc)  Right now, though, she does much better in school.

Written By: YWN on 12/07/05 at 9:49 pm

Personally, I do not like any option that forces the child to "teach themselves" or secludes them from other children or activities.  Also, how healthy is it to be online for that long, nearly everyday of the week?  AND, it takes a very disciplined child to focus on the class/studies itself without letting themself wander to other websites not pertaining to their studies, etc.  What do you guys think?

I usually have to teach myself, since my mom is in the dark about a lot of my subjects.  My brother spends way too much time on anime/rpg message boards when he's supposed to be doing school, which really annoys me.  I go to inthe00s occasionally in the middle of a math lesson or something, but not nearly as much as he plays around with the computer.

I hate it...my mom makes us check our own work (we're honest) except for tests, and she seemingly gives us arbitrary grades for no-test subjects like Vocab.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/07/05 at 11:04 pm

The only way I see cyber classes as being totally acceptable is if someone is physically disabled to a point that going to school everyday inhibits them to attend school on a daily basis. This is where cyber classes would be extremely beneficial. Other than that, I think it should be used as a last resort for a child, teen or adult as a means of learning.

Written By: jackas on 12/07/05 at 11:04 pm

How does one start homeschooling.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/07/05 at 11:06 pm

As for the internet classes, I think that they are good for adults.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/08/05 at 2:45 am

That's a very good point! It would be very beneficial for someone in that circumstance.

As far as the whole home-schooling thing...I was always a person who learned better in a more "hands on" environment...and I enjoyed classes like art, shop, home ec, pottery, etc.

Written By: YWN on 12/08/05 at 9:04 am

That's a very good point! It would be very beneficial for someone in that circumstance.

As far as the whole home-schooling thing...I was always a person who learned better in a more "hands on" environment...and I enjoyed classes like art, shop, home ec, pottery, etc.  I think that it is a good thing that home-schooling groups are beginning to branch out and start different activities for homeschool students, but I still feel that they are missing out on some things.  For instance....in regular public school it is required to take a foreign language, so how do homeschooled students accomplish that? Also, in public school you are required to take so many hours in gym class....maybe some homeschooled students DO participate in different community sports leagues, etc...but do you really think that most of them are getting what is really required of them concerning PE??  Also, I know when I was in high school...the things that kept me going were: chorus, plays/musicals, art courses, etc...Those kinds of activities and more (sports, band, foreign language groups, student council, etc) are things that build character in children and give them the kinds of experiences that will assist them when they decide to go to college or work.  Also, I would think that it would be very difficult for someone who has been home-schooled to make that transition to a "regular" college? I know there are some exceptions (of students that are naturally gifted in academics)...but I would think for the most part, it would be a challenging thing.

I learn Latin...  In most homeschooling texts, the textbooks act as the "teacher", with instructions, going step by step on each subject, although the problem is that if you don't understand something, you can't ask the teacher because it's a book.  Sometimes I'll ask my mom about it and sometimes she can help me and sometimes she can't.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/05 at 10:53 am

I took a couple of video courses when I was overseas. I learned a lot from the composition course but the math course...I think part of reason why I was failing it was because everytime I put the tape in, I fell asleep. That may have something to do with it.  ;D

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...