inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best album of all-time?

Written By: Zoso on 12/09/05 at 12:52 am

I think it was about a week ago I started a thread asking people for their 10 favourite albums of all-time. Some listed 10 albums, some listed 5, some listed 20. However, we got a list of 75 albums. Now I've put those 75 albums into a poll so you guys can vote for your 5 favourite for the list. Take into consideration cultural impact and musical genius. So vote away!

Subject: Re: Best album of all-time?

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/05 at 12:54 am

Wow!  That's alot of albums.  I doubt it will be the winner, but i'll stand by "Fantastic" by Wham! because well, it is Fantastic!  :)

Written By: Zoso on 12/09/05 at 3:38 am

There's been a fair number of votes. Thanks for contributing guys!

Thriller by Michael Jackson & The Beatles (aka White Album) by The Beatles are infront (all though, not by much).

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/09/05 at 3:43 am

Both well deserving, however I lean strongly towards the Fab Four. Nice work Zoso

Written By: Zoso on 12/09/05 at 5:57 am

Both well deserving, however I lean strongly towards the Fab Four. Nice work Zoso

Either way, Jacko owns the rights to both these albums. Thanks for the compliment Badfinger-fan

Written By: YWN on 01/02/06 at 6:45 pm

My selections:

Abbey Road - The Beatles
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
Nevermind - Nirvana

Written By: AmandaSparks on 01/02/06 at 7:14 pm

I picked Abbey Road, Grease and Purple Rain cause I like concept albums. (And if anyone can think of any recent concept albums, pm me cause they seem to be a retro thang.)
Appetite just rawks and took the world by storm, one of the few good "albums" I've seen released in my lifetime and bought when it was hot instead of 20 years after tha band broke up. lol
Oh and Deja Vu I just never get tired of.

Written By: YWN on 01/02/06 at 7:30 pm

I picked Abbey Road, Grease and Purple Rain cause I like concept albums. (And if anyone can think of any recent concept albums, pm me cause they seem to be a retro thang.)
Appetite just rawks and took the world by storm, one of the few good "albums" I've seen released in my lifetime and bought when it was hot instead of 20 years after tha band broke up. lol
Oh and Deja Vu I just never get tired of.

Sgt. Pepper is also a concept album, you know...

As for recent concept albums, the only one that comes to mind is American Idiot by Green Day.  I liked it, as well as Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper, although the latter two are a lot better.

Concept albums are very interesting to me.  Abbey Road...well, it's the second side of the album where it gets into the concept, because it's one long medley.  It's my favorite album.  I like how it recalls the "You Never Give Me Your Money" music in a few places.

The Sgt. Pepper album plays on the idea of the Beatles being in another band, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", and they experimented a lot with the mixing.

American Idiot has been described as a "punk rock opera", that is, it tells a story.  I'm still trying to work out the details, but there's a young character who calls himself "Jesus of Suburbia", but later in the album when he's supposed to be more mature, he ditches this persona and calls himself "St. Jimmy".  Later on, it says that St. Jimmy "blew his brains out".  Meanwhile, he's struggling with his relationship to a girl he calls "Whatsername", who breaks up with him. 

Written By: AmandaSparks on 01/02/06 at 7:44 pm

I do not have one Green Day album but I didn't know that about American Idiot. Maybe I can pick it up used on Amazon. I don't much like the sound they've pioneered, it led to bands like Simple Plan.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/02/06 at 8:48 pm

I do not have one Green Day album but I didn't know that about American Idiot. Maybe I can pick it up used on Amazon. I don't much like the sound they've pioneered, it led to bands like Simple Plan.

Holy coincidences, Batman!! Sorry to get off-topic, but we have the same last name. I think this is literally the first time I've ever encountered someone who shares my surname(that I'm not related to). Wait..your grandfather or great grandfather didn't happen to be a short, rotund, bald, derby hat-wearing, travelling salesman did he?  :D

Written By: AmandaSparks on 01/02/06 at 8:55 pm

Holy coincidences, Batman!! Sorry to get off-topic, but we have the same last name. I think this is literally the first time I've ever encountered someone who shares my surname(that I'm not related to). Wait..your grandfather or great grandfather didn't happen to be a short, rotund, bald, derby hat-wearing, travelling salesman did he?  :D

LOL much as I'd be proud to be your cousin, Amanda Sparks is a pseudonym.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/02/06 at 9:00 pm

LOL much as I'd be proud to be your cousin, Amanda Sparks is a pseudonym.

Ah, ok. Wow..so my last name sounds cool enough to be used for a psuedonym? B!tchin. Your blog is a riot, btw.

Written By: AmandaSparks on 01/02/06 at 9:01 pm

Ah, ok. Wow..so my last name sounds cool enough to be used for a psuedonym? B!tchin. Your blog is a riot, btw.

Thanks a lot. Thanks for reading it.

Written By: YWN on 01/02/06 at 9:29 pm

Main problem with American Idiot: It sounds like the music in each song (or section of song in the case of the two lengthy ones, Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming) are the same few chords being played over and over again while Billie Joe Armstrong sings.  It still manages to be enjoyable, partly because you can follow the plot of the album.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/02/06 at 9:31 pm

I can't believe only one person other than myself voted for "The Dark Side Of The Moon"(1973). Reminds of some famous words from Bill Murray, in Ghostbusters.

Bill Murray: Whats this?

Sigourney Weaver: Oh thats the bedroom; but nothing ever happened in there.

Bill Murray: What a crime.

;D ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/02/06 at 9:31 pm

My god that was tough! Ultimately, I picked

Ok Go-Ok Go
Ok Computer- Radiohead
The Soft Bulletin-The Flaming Lips
Abbey Road-The Beatles
and
Dead Man's Party- Oingo Boingo

I was surprised to see most of those ^

The weird thing is... today I was listening to Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots by The Flaming Lips and thought... "This is the greatest album I think I've ever heard".. it's like my anti-drug high. so I thought about making a thread about the best album ever, but you did it!

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/02/06 at 9:35 pm

My god that was tough! Ultimately, I picked

Ok Go-Ok Go
Ok Computer- Radiohead
The Soft Bulletin-The Flaming Lips
Abbey Road-The Beatles
and
Dead Man's Party- Oingo Boingo

I was surprised to see most of those ^

The weird thing is... today I was listening to Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots by The Flaming Lips and thought... "This is the greatest album I think I've ever heard".. it's like my anti-drug high. so I thought about making a thread about the best album ever, but you did it!

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
The Blue Album
The White Album
Amnesiac
and Guero are close follow-ups

Written By: AmandaSparks on 01/02/06 at 10:14 pm

I can't believe only one person other than myself voted for "The Dark Side Of The Moon"(1973). Reminds of some famous words from Bill Murray, in Ghostbusters.

Bill Murray: Whats this?

Sigourney Weaver: Oh thats the bedroom; but nothing ever happened in there.

Bill Murray: What a crime.

;D ;D

I started to vote for it, but then I remembered those goddamn alarm clocks.

Written By: AmandaSparks on 01/02/06 at 10:15 pm

Main problem with American Idiot: It sounds like the music in each song (or section of song in the case of the two lengthy ones, Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming) are the same few chords being played over and over again while Billie Joe Armstrong sings.  It still manages to be enjoyable, partly because you can follow the plot of the album.

Hey, all ya need are three chords!  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/02/06 at 10:38 pm

I started to vote for it, but then I remembered those goddamn alarm clocks.

Yeah, for a supposedly drug-oriented album, those alarm clocks sure were a buzz kill, weren't they?

Written By: AmandaSparks on 01/02/06 at 10:40 pm

Yeah, for a supposedly drug-oriented album, those alarm clocks sure were a buzz kill, weren't they?

Heck yeah they were.
But did you ever do the Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz thing? That was sorta cool. The alarm clocks rang exactly at the first appearance of the witch, during the b&w on her bicycle.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/03/06 at 1:52 am

Heck yeah they were.
But did you ever do the Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz thing? That was sorta cool. The alarm clocks rang exactly at the first appearance of the witch, during the b&w on her bicycle.

Yes! That actually blew me away the first time a friend showed it to me. At first I thought, "nah these similarities are just a few its just in your head blah blah blah" but after viewing it the whole way through I must say that if they didn't do it intentionally then I'd like to nominate it for the biggest coincedince of all time, lol.

Written By: AmandaSparks on 01/03/06 at 2:49 am

Yes! That actually blew me away the first time a friend showed it to me. At first I thought, "nah these similarities are just a few its just in your head blah blah blah" but after viewing it the whole way through I must say that if they didn't do it intentionally then I'd like to nominate it for the biggest coincedince of all time, lol.

I think its Meddle that goes with the last 20 min of 2001 A Space Odyssey. Fun stuff.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/10/06 at 4:45 am

NO PET SOUNDS? If stranded on a desert island with a single portable CD player with solar power batteries :-) that would be the album i'd take...Brian Wilson has some supernatural ability to fashion pop melody.

Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd comes a close second.

Check for new replies or respond here...