inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What should I do for my 50th birthday PARTY/CELEBRATION?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/17/05 at 2:35 am

I'ts hard to believe I'lll be 50yrs old in Feb. 2006. Mrs. Badfinger suggests a get-together at

Subject: Re: What should I do for my 50th birthday PARTY/CELEBRATION?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/17/05 at 9:46 am

For my  :-X 0 birthday, I had a big party. We got a case of spumonti (my favorite), plus beer/soda and a meat platter from the local grocery store and told everyone to bring a dish. I also told people NO GIFTS but they could bring a can of food for the local food shelf. I also got a big poster board-color markers/crayons and told people to sign it-whatever they wanted. It ended up with a whole bunch of artwork. One person did give me a gift, their cold.  ::)  So three days later (on my actual birthday) I was sick.  >:(

My sister just celebrated her 50th and rented a hall and a DJ. She had an open bar plus A LOT of food.

Next year will be a milestone birthday for Carlos. I have asked him if he wants a party or not. He hasn't answered me but there are still 6 months to go to plan.

I hope this helps with some ideas.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/05 at 9:55 am

Last year, my workmate celebrated his 50th with us at work and after work, for in the following he flew to America for his son's wedding. Further on in that year there was a reception for the wedding in England for those that could not make to the USA. So in all he celebrated about four times.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/17/05 at 2:28 pm

For my

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/17/05 at 2:32 pm

Last year, my workmate celebrated his 50th with us at work and after work, for in the following he flew to America for his son's wedding. Further on in that year there was a reception for the wedding in England for those that could not make to the USA. So in all he celebrated about four times.
Wow! party on Wayne. I love get togethers with friends and family and I'll be happy if we pull one off. Usually we just go out to dinner and back to the house for cake and presents, but 50 is major for me, so we might do a little more. Heck I wasn't sure I'd pass 14, but I've been blessed with a good fellowship of friends and family and whatever we do together will please me. 

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 12/26/05 at 1:06 am

I have organised two 50th birthdays in the past couple of years with themes.

One was for a rather reserved kinda lady who we knew would have to really be encouraged to dress up - so we made hers a "50s Beach Party" cos she was a 50s music fan. Plastic palm trees, sand, blow up pools,buckets and spades,  cocktails, surfboards and lots of great 50s music. The outfits people wore were gorgeous - like a whole lot of Elvis and Frankie Avalon movies plus a lot of Gidgets !!

For the cocktails we hired these fab cocktail slushie machines. They come with the slushie fruit ingredients and all you provide is ice and alcohol. So all night we had a constant supply of 4 different flavourite cocktail slushies - divine !  I think everyone should have one of these machines in their house !!! (yes we were tempted to do a "Homer Simpson" and just lie down underneath it with our mouth open !!!!!!!).

The other one was for a guy who has a real cheeky sense of humour so we made it a "50%" party. You had to come dressed as half of something. It made for some really thought provoking costumes. Quite a few guys did the "half man half woman" outfits. Others came with half an animal suit on. Some came formal on top and beachwear on the bottom and vice versa. One lady wore nothing but "Target 50% Off" signs.! One guy wore a footy jumper with a tutu !! He has never lived it down !
For the decorations I made tonnes of posters where I had collected magazine pictures and cut them in half and joined them all up in silly combinations - like front end of elephant, back end of a porsche !!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/26/05 at 1:40 am

I have organised two 50th birthdays in the past couple of years with themes.

One was for a rather reserved kinda lady who we knew would have to really be encouraged to dress up - so we made hers a "50s Beach Party" cos she was a 50s music fan. Plastic palm trees, sand, blow up pools,buckets and spades,

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/26/05 at 10:18 am

Yes, I had a themed party one time. It was an "oldies dance party". The guests were informed that they could pick from the three choices to dress up like: a 50's girl/boy, a beatnik, or a hippie.  We rented a hall, had oldies music all night long, and played games like the limbo, hula hoop contests, etc.  It was all decorated in retro themes....everyone had a GREAT time!! :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/26/05 at 12:44 pm

Yes, I had a themed party one time. It was an "oldies dance party". The guests were informed that they could pick from the three choices to dress up like: a 50's girl/boy, a beatnik, or a hippie.

Written By: KKay on 12/27/05 at 1:35 pm

my husband threw me a surprise party and hired a karaoke guy...decorated the place with LP covers from the 70sand 80-s
Very very fun!!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/05 at 1:37 pm

I remember for my 30th birthday, I wanted flowers-I didn't care what kind or from whom-just wanted flowers. So the guy I was with at time got me a male stripper. I guess that was close.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: KKay on 12/27/05 at 1:38 pm

I remember for my 30th birthday, I wanted flowers-I didn't care what kind or from whom-just wanted flowers. So the guy I was with at time got me a male stripper. I guess that was close.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/05 at 1:41 pm

They smell really good sometimes.

The flowers or the stripper?

Cat

Written By: KKay on 12/27/05 at 1:42 pm

Yup!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/05 at 1:43 pm

Yup!

;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/27/05 at 10:15 pm

my husband threw me a surprise party and hired a karaoke guy...decorated the place with LP covers from the 70sand 80-s
Very very fun!!!!
Thanks KKay, I really like the LP cover decoration idea. Dang, I wouldn't mind that as a permanent decor. be kinda like the HardRock cafe or something, that may be a workable idea. Hang my daughters eletric guitar on the wall. Yeah, sounding like a plan.
so Cat; I guess "flowers" is the code for stripper. I don't think my wife knows the code & so  I'd get flowers. I am digging the ideas

Written By: alyceclover on 12/27/05 at 11:00 pm

A sister had a "nifty nifty look who's 50" party, rented a hall, band, we brought food...she gets drunk on a 1/4 teaspoon sip of Bailey's Irish Creme, so no alcohol. From the 50's guests wore poodle skirts, pony tails, bobby socks and stuff like that.

For mine, my daughter's ex wanted to take me to dinner...I said I'd rather he take me to a concert, so he did....EWF/O'Jays/Isley's...

Made a scapebook "you gave your life to become the person you are right now, was it worth it" (Richard Bach quote) bio of my life thus far.

So when is the BIG DAY?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/27/05 at 11:14 pm

A sister had a "nifty nifty look who's 50" party, rented a hall, band, we brought food...she gets drunk on a 1/4 teaspoon sip of Bailey's Irish Creme, so no alcohol. From the 50's guests wore poodle skirts, pony tails, bobby socks and stuff like that.

For mine, my daughter's ex wanted to take me to dinner...I said I'd rather he take me to a concert, so he did....EWF/O'Jays/Isley's...

Made a scapebook "you gave your life to become the person you are right now, was it worth it" (Richard Bach quote) bio of my life thus far.

So when is the BIG DAY?
What a good (ex)son-in-law to do that for you.  My wife would love the concert lineup you saw, that's her music. she loves that stuff, and not into my music, classic/hard rock, but she'd go w/me. The bio scrapbook would be cool, and I'm open to a 50's thing too.  The big day, God willing and the creek don't rise is Feb. 23 . I'm gonna have to print or write all these ideas down.  thanks

Check for new replies or respond here...