inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: White Light/ Colored Light

Written By: danootaandme on 12/17/05 at 4:58 pm

It has been noted here in Massachusetts that there are 2 kinds of communities, 2 kinds of Christmas
decorators.  One on hand there are the white lights, people who decorated in white lights, it is noted
that "upscale" and/or wealthier communities tend to be "white light communities".  In fact, a couple of
years ago in the South End(not to be confused with South Boston, South Boston is north of the South
End) a neighborhood group tried to force a home on its street to close its blinds because they had
colored lights on their Christmas tree and they could be seen from the street!  Then you have the
"colored light" communities, working class, lower middle, where you usually also see the blow up
Santas and fully decked halls. 
I am a colored light in a colored community.  Where you at?

Subject: Re: White Light/ Colored Light

Written By: jackas on 12/17/05 at 5:29 pm

I am white light but in a mixed community....mostly white though. 

My husband prefers colored lights, I won't allow it. 

I look down on him..............................just kidding. :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/05 at 5:32 pm

Coloured lights on our tree.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/17/05 at 6:51 pm

I like colored lights.  My favorites are blue icicle lights.

Written By: whistledog on 12/17/05 at 7:13 pm

I've never been a big fan of white lights.  They are too dull.  I like a multi color of lights that will dazzle my eyes  8)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/17/05 at 7:46 pm

I have about 6 strings of lights on a three foot tree. (Yep it's ALL lights right now)  ;D

5 sets of multi-colored lights and one string of purple lights that I bought at a yard sale.

Written By: ADH13 on 12/17/05 at 7:56 pm

I have blue and white icicle lights on my house and a bunch of animated colored stuff on my front lawn (not inflatable).

Our neighborhood is very mixed, i see alot of both styles.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/17/05 at 8:44 pm

I've never been a fan of multi-colored lights... only white for me.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/17/05 at 8:46 pm

I like colours. White just looks... plain and boring.

Written By: YWN on 12/17/05 at 9:38 pm

I've never been a fan of multi-colored lights... only white for me.

...you racist.  I appreciate diversity, unlike Beth, who is racist.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/17/05 at 10:50 pm

I prefer white lights...it looks richer....but if tastefully done, a few colored lights mixed in looks quite nice as well.

Written By: ADH13 on 12/17/05 at 10:59 pm

...you racist.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/17/05 at 11:00 pm

Not so fast there... I'm sure if black christmas lights existed, Beth would be first in line for them. :)

hell, I know I would....that would look pretty spiffy against my house that so happens to be white with black shutters!!! ;) :D

Written By: runner girl on 12/17/05 at 11:01 pm

my house is like the only house with lights around. I live in the middle of the freaking mountains next to Amish people

but we use white lights

Written By: jackas on 12/17/05 at 11:02 pm

Not so fast there... I'm sure if black christmas lights existed, Beth would be first in line for them. :)

What about red lights...or brown lights....yellow?

Written By: jackas on 12/17/05 at 11:03 pm

I prefer white lights...it looks richer....but if tastefully done, a few colored lights mixed in looks quite nice as well.

I agree.  White just looks more elegant, but just a little color is nice sometimes.

Written By: ADH13 on 12/17/05 at 11:05 pm

hell, I know I would....that would look pretty spiffy against my house that so happens to be white with black shutters!!! ;) :D

I think they would look pretty... but I can't imagine them being truly black... I think if you tried to make a black light it would be kind of dark purple/dark reddish...

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/17/05 at 11:06 pm

What about red lights...or brown lights....yellow?

Jesus loves all of them equally

Written By: nally on 12/18/05 at 1:42 am

We use both on our tree. However, this year we are only using the white ones because we have a smaller tree than usual.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/18/05 at 2:18 am

my house is like the only house with lights around. I live in the middle of the freaking mountains next to Amish people

but we use white lights
The Amish probably think you guys are totally out of control. you ought to dress up one of their carriages with lights, that would be funny. So you're probably somewhere near Pennsylvannia? My kid goes on the 8th grade field trip tp DC, and all the historic places there, and they see the amish community and when she comes home, she gives me this keychain that says I love Intercourse. I'm thinkin, what the hell is this? and then she shows me the Pa. and that it's a town in Pennsylvannia. you young whippersnappers are too funny. I bet the amish think your house lights are beautiful but wont say so.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/18/05 at 11:08 am

I was thinking of this very same question last night. I like color lights-and they HAVE to blink.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...