inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's your Favorite ROCK Movie/Musical/Musically themed shows/Soundtracks

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/19/05 at 12:14 pm

I'll throw out a couple of mine to kickstart things.

Almost Famous
Rock Star
Grease
Dazed and Confused (I love the soundtrack)
"I had this on Board Games by mistake and hope this is the place for a topic like this."

Subject: Re: What's your Favorite ROCK Movie/Musical/Musically themed show

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/05 at 12:20 pm

I LOVE musicals, but in terms of rock themed:

Rocky Horror Picture Show (I think you can call that rock themed)
Dirty Dancing
Grease
Grease 2 (a guilty pleasure)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (another guilty pleasure)

I'm sure there are more but that is all I can think of right now.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/19/05 at 12:26 pm

Dirty Dancing
Grease
Grease 2 (a guilty pleasure)

Cat

Those are all good, and there should be many many more as I am gonna also include great soundtracks as well.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/19/05 at 12:36 pm

Dirty Dancing
Grease

Cat

I pretty much agree. I can't think of others right now.

Subject: Re: What's your Favorite ROCK Movie/Musical/Musically themed shows/Soundtracks

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/19/05 at 12:39 pm

Grease  8)

Subject: Re: What's your Favorite ROCK Movie/Musical/Musically themed shows/Soundtracks

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/19/05 at 12:56 pm

Just thought of a couple more I absolutely love
A Hard Days Night and HELP - the Beatles

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/05 at 1:15 pm

Just thought of a couple more I absolutely love
A Hard Days Night and HELP - the Beatles

We just got Yellow Submarine from Netflix. Planning on watching it tonight.

Cat

Written By: Abix on 12/19/05 at 1:20 pm

Grease is my All time favorite movie..
Some of my other favorites in this category would be :
Almost Famous
Pink Floyd-The Wall
Led Zeppelin- The Song Remains the Same
Nirvana- Unplugged
Rock Star
This Is Spinal Tap
Rolling Stones-Rewind
Fast Times At Ridgemont High had a great soundtrack also.
Moulin Rouge? does this count as rock? I loved the soundtrack.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/05 at 1:24 pm

Almost Famous
Pink Floyd-The Wall
Nirvana- Unplugged
Rock Star
This Is Spinal Tap
Rolling Stones-Rewind

I KNEW I forgot some-the Wall and A Mighty Wind.

I would say that Moulin Rouge is (they have Sir Elton's "Your Song" in it). I saw that for the first time about a month ago and LOVED it.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 12/19/05 at 1:47 pm

Streets of Fire: A Rock and Roll Fable  8)

http://www.road-to-utopia.com/windows/previews/streets_wallpaper.JPG

Written By: Abix on 12/19/05 at 1:51 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/05 at 1:52 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/19/05 at 1:55 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Abix on 12/19/05 at 1:58 pm

Another good one.

There is also Eddie and the Cruisers.

Cat

Oops.. that's the one I was thinking of.. with Diane Lane and " On the Darkside" that was from Eddie and The Cruisers  not Streets of Fire...
Did  Streets of Fire have a Journey Song? "Only The Young?" or maybe that was from Visionquest..
Let me add Visionquest.. Madonna's Gambler and Crazy For You and Red Ryder's Lunatic Fringe are in that movie. I have that soundtrack on cassette somewhere. :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/05 at 2:00 pm

Oops.. that's the one I was thinking of.. with Diane Lane and " On the Darkside" that was from Eddie and The Cruisers  not Streets of Fire...
Did  Streets of Fire have a Journey Song? "Only The Young?" or maybe that was from Visionquest..
Let me add Visionquest.. Madonna's Gambler and Crazy For You and Red Ryder's Lunatic Fringe are in that movie. I have that soundtrack on cassette somewhere. :P

Yeah, it was Visionquest that had "Only the Young". Not what I would call a "rock movie" but a really good movie just the same.

Cat

Written By: Abix on 12/19/05 at 2:02 pm

Ok , I have Alzheimer's I think. I"m  confusing Eddie and  Streets of Fire.. so I had to check my facts. Diane Lane WAS in Streets of Fire.. but Michael Pare' was  in BOTH Eddie and  The Cruisers, and Streets of Fire.. so that's why I think I was confuse. Elen Barkin was in Eddie and the Cruisers. But I don't recall her role . Senior Moment I guess.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/19/05 at 2:05 pm

another favorite of mine is CROSSROADS with Ralph Macchio and the famous dueling guitar scene against Steve Vai to save Willie Browns soul from the devil. Great movie, family got it for me on amazon last year for Christmas and I love that flick. great music, blues/rock

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/05 at 2:06 pm

Ok , I have Alzheimer's I think. I"m  confusing Eddie and  Streets of Fire.. so I had to check my facts. Diane Lane WAS in Streets of Fire.. but Michael Pare' was  in BOTH Eddie and  The Cruisers, and Streets of Fire.. so that's why I think I was confuse. Elen Barkin was in Eddie and the Cruisers. But I don't recall her role . Senior Moment I guess.

If memory serves me, Ellen Barkin played the journalist who was going to do the expose on Eddie and Cruisers.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/19/05 at 2:06 pm

Ok , I have Alzheimer's I think. I"m

Written By: Abix on 12/19/05 at 2:10 pm

. so that's why I think I was confuse. Elen Barkin was in Eddie and the Cruisers. But I don't recall her role . Senior Moment I guess.

Boy, I really  am frazzled. I can't even type correctly .
That's  right Ellen was the reporter. I wonder if these movies will be on dvd anytime soon.

Written By: barefootrobin on 12/19/05 at 5:46 pm

Phantom Of The Paradise!  Paul Williams!  I still know all the songs off by heart!  Beef! :)

Written By: GREEN67 on 12/19/05 at 6:55 pm

another favorite of mine is CROSSROADS with Ralph Macchio and the famous dueling guitar scene against Steve Vai to save Willie Browns soul from the devil. Great movie, family got it for me on amazon last year for Christmas and I love that flick. great music, blues/rock
8)  HEY! Crossroads was on cable here yesterday!..Its funny..I was thinking about that movie because I recently saw " Oh Brother Where Art Thou " and I lost it...I LOVED that movie..the next day I went out and bought the movie and the soundtrack...I can totally relate to the whole movie..my parents are both from Mississippi and I grew up in the Delta..I KNOW all the characters!!..ALL the songs!!..anyway..In Oh Brother..There is a kid who sells his soul to the devil at the crossroads..I thought of that movie with Ralph Macchio...I also LOVE Grease, Rock Star..( So Funny...Rock Star reminded me of Judas Priest...I got back stage passes once and dude was as gay as they  come..not that there is anything wrong with that..its just that you never thought they were...),....I loved Almost Famous, OH...I almost forgot..The Rose with Bette Midler..based loosely on the life of Janis Joplin..CLASSIC!!...Dazed and confused was a great flick too..I can totally relate to the characters...I knew all of them too...and Pink Floyd The Wall...We used to all go to the Midnite Flicks here on Park Ave... Used to trip on Windowpane and FREAK out!......and Song Remains The Same..Absolutely THE BEST!!

Written By: zcrito on 12/19/05 at 9:36 pm

If you mean any soundtrack, rock or otherwise then

From the '60s --  West Side Story, Help!, A Hard Day's Night.
'70s --  Harold and Maude, My Name is Nobody, La Vallee Obscured by Clouds, Godspell.
'80s --  Diva and Cinema Paradiso.

But if you mean rock only then just 3 or 4 of the above.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 12/19/05 at 9:41 pm

Oops.. that's the one I was thinking of.. with Diane Lane and " On the Darkside" that was from Eddie and The Cruisers

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/19/05 at 11:23 pm

8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/19/05 at 11:24 pm

I pretty much agree. I can't think of others right now.

They used to show the Rocky Horror Picture show every Sat-nite at the UC theatre in Berkeley, ca. at midnight. I really like the theme song Lets Do the Time Warp Again because, well because it Rocks!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/19/05 at 11:26 pm

Almost Famous
Pink Floyd-The Wall
Nirvana- Unplugged
Rock Star
This Is Spinal Tap
Rolling Stones-Rewind
You have Rolling Stones REWIND? thats a hard to get one. I got Song remains the Same on VHS. saw it in theatres when it opened and we weren't prepared for that whole godfather type shootup. good choices

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/19/05 at 11:29 pm

If you mean any soundtrack, rock or otherwise then

From the '60s --

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/19/05 at 11:29 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/19/05 at 11:30 pm

Phantom Of The Paradise!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/19/05 at 11:36 pm

Crossroads - here's a shot of Macchio as Eugene Martone, a Juliard trained classical guitarist with bluesman legend Willie Brown, AKA Blind Dog Fultonand old Scratch, trying to get the devil to tear up Willies contract he signed back when he was Macchios age. The devil agrees to tear up the contract if Willie can beat the devils guitarist in a duel. Willie doesn't play so Eugene offers to sit in for him, thus risking his own soul. All he has to do is "cut heads" with satan's guitarist played very well by Steve Vai. The Cutting Heads duel is the best part of the movie.

Written By: whistledog on 12/20/05 at 12:18 am

maybe not a hit, but a great song in the movie "One Bad Stud"

One bad stud moved in my neighbourhood  8)

The Blasters.  Yes.  That was a good one :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/20/05 at 1:44 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/20/05 at 1:45 am

Oops.. that's the one I was thinking of.. with Diane Lane and " On the Darkside" that was from Eddie and The Cruisers

Written By: danootaandme on 12/20/05 at 5:38 am

"Help" and "A Hard Days Night"  of course!

Written By: gemini on 12/20/05 at 6:15 am

Grease, and Saturday Night Fever. I was thinking maybe Tommy, but I really only like Pinball Wizard and See Me Feel Me from that one, even though when I got the album back in the 70s, I memorized every song on it!  :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/20/05 at 8:50 am

"Help" and "A Hard Days Night"

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/20/05 at 8:52 am

Grease, and Saturday Night Fever. I was thinking maybe Tommy, but I really only like Pinball Wizard and See Me Feel Me from that one, even though when I got the album back in the 70s, I memorized every song on it!

Written By: whistledog on 12/20/05 at 10:38 am

I've got to get this movie. I love this flick. Rick Moranis as Diane Lane's manager, and Amy Madigan as the rough and tough chick who joins forces with Michael Pare to rescue Ellen Aim who's been kidnapped by psychotic bikers led by a vampirish looking Wilem Dafoe.

You can get Strets of Fire on DVD, but there are two different sleeve art versions.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/20/05 at 11:18 am

I've got to get this movie. I love this flick. Rick Moranis as Diane Lane's manager, and Amy Madigan as the rough and tough chick who joins forces with Michael Pare to rescue Ellen Aim who's been kidnapped by psychotic bikers led by a vampirish looking Wilem Dafoe.

After reading this thread yesterday, I went to Netflix and put it on my Queue.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/20/05 at 11:46 pm

After reading this thread yesterday, I went to Netflix and put it on my Queue.

Cat
Enjoy, I haven't seen that in years but I would purchase a DVD of it, and most people on here thought it was cool, but I asked a co-worker today what he thought of it and he gave it the thumbs down. My coworker that looks like Newman from Seinfeld.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 12/20/05 at 11:48 pm

Enjoy, I haven't seen that in years but I would purchase a DVD of it, and most people on here thought it was cool, but I asked a co-worker today what he thought of it and he gave it the thumbs down. My coworker that looks like Newman from Seinfeld.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/05 at 12:08 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/21/05 at 12:09 am

You would think I'd have A Hard Day's Night and Help! on my list!  :-[

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/05 at 1:13 am

You would think I'd have A Hard Day's Night and Help! on my list!

Written By: barefootrobin on 12/21/05 at 8:39 am

I'm gonna have to go online to jog my memory on this one

Did you check out Phantom of the Paradise yet?

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/21/05 at 10:15 am

That's a good one, but it has some excess in the solos.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/05 at 10:53 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/05 at 10:58 pm

Nope, not yet, but my favorite co-worker highly reccommends it and so do you, so I will watch it as soon as I can get my hands on a copy. Meanwhile my friend brought me a VHS copy of the rock music movie "Get Crazy"

Written By: whistledog on 12/21/05 at 10:59 pm

whis

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/22/05 at 12:39 pm

whis

Written By: Abix on 12/23/05 at 1:55 am

You have Rolling Stones REWIND? thats a hard to get one. I got Song remains the Same on VHS. saw it in theatres when it opened and we weren't prepared for that whole godfather type shootup. good choices

Yes I have Rolling Stones Rewind on VHS , and the CD.  The video is great. Bill Wyman is taking Mick on a video tour of the Stones' past.. I loved "Angie" where Mick Taylor and  Keith Richards have single stemmed roses stuck in the necks of their guitars.. lol.. Classic..  and "It's Only Rock n' Roll" is done with a bubble machine and they end up in bubbles up to their necks. Gotta love the Stones!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/05 at 2:09 am

Yes I have Rolling Stones Rewind on VHS , and the CD.

Written By: Abix on 12/23/05 at 3:09 am

Where have I been?  I managed to snag a Rewind CD on Ebay and I had no clue this was a film. It's an excellent compilation of songs, which is why I chose it, & I have zero Rolling Stones tunes, mostly Beatles & Zep, but now I'm gonna search for that video. I saw them only once, back in 98 or 99 I think, it was the No Security Tour. I got me a big RS tongue tee-shirt from the concert.  thanks for the info

You'll have to let me know if you find it.. My tape is nearly 20 yrs old. I bought it in 1988.

Written By: KKay on 12/23/05 at 8:51 am

This is a difficult list to make!!

Xanadu
ROCK SHOW (Wings in concert)
Last Waltz
Hard Day's Night
La Bamba
Thank God it's Friday
Stop Making Sense

Written By: jaytee on 12/23/05 at 10:11 am

High Society
Jesus Christ Superstar
School Of Rock

Written By: loki 13 on 12/23/05 at 12:45 pm

This Is Spinal Tap
Jesus Christ Superstar
Hair
Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Wall
Eddie And The Cruisers

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/24/05 at 1:13 am

This is a difficult list to make!!

Xanadu
ROCK SHOW (Wings in concert)
Last Waltz
Hard Day's Night
La Bamba
Thank God it's Friday
Stop Making Sense
KKay, I'm siding with you on Xanadu, even though it's been labeled cheezy at times, it's got Olivia Newton John singing with Cliff Richard, The Tubes and ELO. I love this soundtrack, and I saw the movie 3 x's when it first came out. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/24/05 at 1:16 am

High Society
Jesus Christ Superstar
School Of Rock
I really liked School of Rock, and Jack Black is so funny when he's teaching the kids. The end song "It's a Long Way to the Top If You Wanna Rock and Roll" is a great Rock Anthem

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/24/05 at 12:52 pm

KKay, I'm siding with you on Xanadu, even though it's been labeled cheezy at times, it's got Olivia Newton John singing with Cliff Richard, The Tubes and ELO. I love this soundtrack, and I saw the movie 3 x's when it first came out. 

Yeah, Xanadu is a guilty pleasure.

Cat

Written By: KKay on 12/24/05 at 1:03 pm

Cat

People really underestimate rollerskates.  and who knew her ffeet could keep up with Gene Kelly's?
Kkay

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/24/05 at 1:08 pm

People really underestimate rollerskates.  and who knew her ffeet could keep up with Gene Kelly's?
Kkay

Part of the reason why I really like the movie is because of Gene Kelly. I just love him.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/24/05 at 2:13 pm

If you love Gene, and haven't seen him in Brigadoon, check it out. His pal Van Johnson is quite funny.  I'm not sure I like seeing him on roller skates, but the duet he sings and dances with a slightly awkward Olivia NJ  shows his dance skills. ONJ's cuteness and vocals overrides any lack in dance ability.
Has anyone seen the movie Still Crazy about a 70's rock group called Strange Fruit that reunites 20years later and attempts to tour and perform again. It's funny watching them try to recapture the cockiness they once had.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/25/05 at 2:32 pm

If you love Gene, and haven't seen him in Brigadoon, check it out. His pal Van Johnson is quite funny.  I'm not sure I like seeing him on roller skates, but the duet he sings and dances with a slightly awkward Olivia NJ  shows his dance skills. ONJ's cuteness and vocals overrides any lack in dance ability.
Has anyone seen the movie Still Crazy about a 70's rock group called Strange Fruit that reunites 20years later and attempts to tour and perform again. It's funny watching them try to recapture the cockiness they once had.

I have seen Brigadoon a few times. My fav Gene movie has to be Singing in the Rain.

Cat

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 12/26/05 at 12:46 am

Ohhh I love this movie !!  Excellent cast and a great story.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/26/05 at 1:50 am

Gene Kelly was amazing in Singing In the Rain, and I love it when they expose the lip synch fake in the end, very funny stuff.

I only saw Still Crazy once on a referral from a coworker who told me if I liked rock, I'd like that movie and he was right. It was good & I recommend it. I'm gonna  watch the 2nd half of Streets of Fire tonight when I get off computer because I started it earlier and then had to go to the big family gathering. That movie is fun and I was not aware that Ry Cooder does the musical score which is pretty cool because he did it for Crossroads too.

Written By: KKay on 12/31/05 at 9:00 am

Cat

Remember we said we loved Gene Kelly?  He's on now in Inherit the Wind..
he's giving everyone what-for!!!

You've reminded me what a great actor he is...and nnow officially my favoritte!
Karen

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/31/05 at 11:03 am

Remember we said we loved Gene Kelly?  He's on now in Inherit the Wind..
he's giving everyone what-for!!!

You've reminded me what a great actor he is...and now officially my favoritte!
Karen
good choice  of favorite, I haven't seen that one. He sings, he dances, he's funny. Love his work

Written By: KKay on 12/31/05 at 11:07 am

yeah, he's the man!!!
http://usera.imagecave.com/kgilmartin/Gene-Kelly--copy.jpg

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/31/05 at 11:10 am

yeah, he's the man!!!
http://usera.imagecave.com/kgilmartin/Gene-Kelly--copy.jpg
thats a super pic of him, he was gifted!!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/16/06 at 1:41 am

today my friend at work called me over and said hey Mike, I just bought a copy of Phantom of the Paradise and after I''ve watched it, you can borrow it, so I will finally get to see it.  :) I can hardly wait.

Written By: Gis on 02/16/06 at 6:28 am

I managed to miss this thread first time round.
Gene Kelly is one of my all time heroes.I love Brigadoon and Singing in the rain. I have slowly but surely been collecting all of his films.
As to musicals it's probably easier to say which ones I don't like ! I'm a huge musical fan.

I'm going to see the Rocky Horror Show next month, can't wait. I can't decide whether to dress up or not this time.............

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/16/06 at 10:30 am

I managed to miss this thread first time round.
Gene Kelly is one of my all time heroes.I love Brigadoon and Singing in the rain. I have slowly but surely been collecting all of his films.
As to musicals it's probably easier to say which ones I don't like ! I'm a huge musical fan.

I'm going to see the Rocky Horror Show next month, can't wait. I can't decide whether to dress up or not this time.............
I enjoy Brigadoon most of the 2 you mentioned. i love the back and forth banter between Gene and Van, his buddy. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/06/06 at 12:53 am

I finally watched it today. It was good. Now I can return the DVD to my co-worker since he loaned it to me almost 3 weeks ago. The opening night show when The Undead singers that looked like members of Kiss with those huge guitars that had swords at the ends were dismembering dummys was too much  ;D  good bit of campiness there. Paul Williams was great. He played his dark role well.

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/06 at 1:31 am

For those of you who love Gene Kelly, check out this new version of Singin' in the Rain.  Gene does not appear in the video, but the choreopraphy and the animation are fabulous 8)

Click here to watch

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 03/06/06 at 3:38 pm

I would say:

This is Spinal Tap -- One of the funniest rock movies ever made!  :D I'd rate that one an 11 on a scale from 1 to 10.
School of Rock -- Great rock movie with a wonderful story, and I love how the ending wasn't the cliche' the-band-wins ending you would have expected, but at least
Pink Floyd: The Wall -- Great album, great movie.
Saturday Night Fever -- Stayin' alive after almost thirty years  8)
The Sound of Music -- Not exactly rock, but who cares?!! :)
Rocky Horror Picture Show -- as weird as that movie is, it had some great songs. Too bad the Academy snubbed the "Time Warp"  ;D
From Justin to -- Psyche!  ::)
Glitter -- Made-ja look!  :P
VH1's Hysteria!: The Def Leppard Story -- Very good biopic on a great band. Anthony Michael Hall should have won an Emmy for playing Mutt Lange. And what about the guy who played the late Steve Clark? Or Rick Allen? The TV Academy missed the boat.
VH1's Meat Loaf biopic
Walk the Line -- Not into country music, but that was a great movie. Congratulations, Reese. You earned it! :)
Can I say The Wizard of Oz? That's a great one to synch to Dark Side of the Moon, in case you didn't know that.

I can't think of too many more.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/06/06 at 10:00 pm

I would say:

This is Spinal Tap -- One of the funniest rock movies ever made!  :D I'd rate that one an 11 on a scale from 1 to 10.
School of Rock -- Great rock movie with a wonderful story, and I love how the ending wasn't the cliche' the-band-wins ending you would have expected, but at least
Glitter -- Made-ja look!  :P
Walk the Line -- Not into country music, but that was a great movie. Congratulations, Reese. You earned it! :)
Can I say The Wizard of Oz? That's a great one to synch to Dark Side of the Moon, in case you didn't know that.

yes you can say The Wizard Of Oz because the music is so memorable
Glitter -- Made-ja look!  :P        funny, i wasn't sure at first what i was reading here. You salvaged yourself nicely. all great choices. good post and warrants an applaud

Check for new replies or respond here...