inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What are your NewYear's Eve plans? *party or stay home*

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/31/05 at 3:48 am

We're hosting a small get together at our house, everyone's bringing appetizers & the menu sounds good: I heard smoked salmon mentioned, my wifes excellent spinach dip, I'm making teriyaki chicken wings, a seafood dip & a shrimp salad is being brought by fellow vacationer friends. Not a big alcohol drinking bunch, BYOB so maybe some wine or champagne at midnite. We may play some games, do some kareoke, and watch the countdown and the ball drop at Times Square. I will play Auld Lang Syne, we'll all sing & kiss and then I'll put in either Wild Cherry's  Play that Funky Music White Boy, or KC & the Sunshine Band tune to dance to.  It doesn't look like Dick Clark is up to it. It'll be a tame party at the Badfinger residence. What is everyone else doing? And where are those NewYears emoticons?

Subject: Re: What are your NewYear's Eve plans? *party or stay home*

Written By: NullandVoid on 12/31/05 at 4:21 am

I'm gonna spend some time with my best friend and then I'm going to go to my job  (a bar) and get plastered with my co-workers. Yep, that 's about it.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/31/05 at 5:37 am

I'm planning on going out tonight, as they have a big NYE celebration downtown each year with fireworks...

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/31/05 at 6:08 am

New Year's Eve will be spent at home, with stacks of friends and relatives coming over on New Year's Day.

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/31/05 at 7:15 am

There will be no party this year. Just today, my aunt (youngest sister of my mother) has passed away. :\'( :o :(

Written By: danootaandme on 12/31/05 at 7:36 am

There will be no party this year. Just today, my aunt (youngest sister of my mother) has passed away. :\'( :o :(

Very sorry to hear this.  I hope the family is able to bear up.  The youngest(the baby) tends holds a special place
in the hearts a family.  Very sad indeed.  :\'(

Written By: gemini on 12/31/05 at 7:41 am

We'll be staying in tonight. My oldest will be with her fiance' doing something fun I'm sure, and the youngest will be at a friends house. We'll be all alone tonight drinking our sparkling white grape juice!  :D

Written By: Howard on 12/31/05 at 7:41 am

I'm going to spend New Year's Eve with Robin and her friends which might be for the last time.  :(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/31/05 at 8:28 am

we are spending time with some friends up at the campground we go to several times a year.

Written By: KKay on 12/31/05 at 9:11 am

I am going to a bar, a party, and then to another bar...
by bus, of course.
I'm preparing myself to hold my sister's hair back while she worships the porcelain god tomorrow morning...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/31/05 at 9:39 am

Staying at home.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/31/05 at 9:56 am

we are spending time with some friends up at the campground we go to several times a year.

Er.. Yeah, same as her.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/31/05 at 10:49 am

I will be staying at home and my daughter is taking
advantage of the situation.My wife and I will be baby-
sitting our two month old grand-daughter.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/31/05 at 10:56 am

I used to get, (how did NullandVoid put it ?) Plastered, but those days are gone but I'm gonna still have a good time ringing in the NewYear. I figured 39 years of drinking/pounding/gettin hammered was enough for me. Now it's Martinellis sparling cider, diet coke and coffee. no more porcelin gods for me KKay. Actually, I used to drink gallons and not get sick but I got tired of it. Everyone be safe & call if you need a designated drive.  :D :D :D    hey Quirk & Beth, isn't it raining up there? Are you guys gonna camp in the rain?  :-\\

Written By: KKay on 12/31/05 at 11:03 am

I used to get, (how did NullandVoid put it ?) Plastered, but those days are gone but I'm gonna still have a good time ringing in the NewYear. I figured 39 years of drinking/pounding/gettin hammered was enough for me. Now it's Martinellis sparling cider, diet coke and coffee. no more porcelin gods for me KKay.

I hear you! I just turned 40 and these partying days are few and far between for me; the twentyone year old (sis) I'm dragging out with me can carry on like a lunatic.
Sometimes I just can't shake the (what my husband calls) "frat-boy" need to party.
and I looove the Martinelli's! had some xmas eve!
I did successfully qiut smoking this year!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/31/05 at 11:08 am

I hear you! I just turned 40 and these partying days are few and far between for me; the twentyone year old (sis) I'm dragging out with me can carry on like a lunatic.
Sometimes I just can't shake the (what my husband calls) "frat-boy" need to party.
and I looove the Martinelli's! had some xmas eve!
I did successfully qiut smoking this year!
congrats on quitting smoking, thats a hard thing to do and you sound very fun to hang out with, I like chicks with frat-boy mentality that can hang and party with the guys. well, it sounds like you got a couple "good ones" left in you so have fun and we'll hopefully get pics and hear bout the carnage.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/31/05 at 11:13 am

I'll be spending New Year's Eve at home with the family.

Written By: jackas on 12/31/05 at 11:18 am

I'm staying at home, no guests.  I will probably have a few drinks, just enough to get stupid. 

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/31/05 at 11:31 am

I'm staying at home, no guests.  I will probably have a few drinks, just enough to get stupid. 

That's the ...erm... spirit!  ;D

Written By: KKay on 12/31/05 at 11:41 am

congrats on quitting smoking, thats a hard thing to do and you sound very fun to hang out with, I like chicks with frat-boy mentality that can hang and party with the guys. well, it sounds like you got a couple "good ones" left in you so have fun and we'll hopefully get pics and hear bout the carnage.

You all may be the only ones I"d be willing to share the pix with!!! :)
have a great, happy and healthy new year

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/05 at 12:13 pm

We are supposed to have a party but we don't know how many people will be here-if any. A few people said they "may stop in". One guy called today and said that he was not feeling well. Others we haven't heard from at all. So, we just may be celebrating by ourselves (hey, more food and spumonti for us.  ;D )

Cat

Written By: Paul on 12/31/05 at 12:15 pm

Off round a friend's in a couple of hours...

I'm not stopping over, so no alcohol...

Written By: Morton on 12/31/05 at 1:21 pm

I would have liked to have just had a quiet night in watching TV (like I do most new years eves), but I have work tomorrow morning so i'm going to have to head off to bed at around 9 or 10  :(

Written By: jackas on 12/31/05 at 1:58 pm

Let me tell you all how much I dislike New Years.

It sucks.

Everyone invites people to their house.  Everyone is invited to at least two people's houses.  These people tell everyone that they will stop by.  Which means that everyone is driving around trying to find the funnest party.  But no party is really all that fun because everybody is at the other persons house....for like one hour.  Then they come to your house for one hour and then off to someone else's(is this a word?) house.  So each party has about 5 people who are half sober because they have to drive to the next party.  Boring!

New Years sucks!

Written By: jackas on 12/31/05 at 1:59 pm

I forgot to add in the people who have plans to get totally wasted. ::)  These are the people who are throwing up by 10:30 and passed out in front of the toilet by 11:30.

Written By: Morton on 12/31/05 at 2:00 pm

Let me tell you all how much I dislike New Years.

It sucks.

Everyone invites people to their house.  Everyone is invited to at least two people's houses.  These people tell everyone that they will stop by.  Which means that everyone is driving around trying to find the funnest party.  But no party is really all that fun because everybody is at the other persons house....for like one hour.  Then they come to your house for one hour and then off to someone else's(is this a word?) house.  So each party has about 5 people who are half sober because they have to drive to the next party.  Boring!

New Years sucks!

I agree. I've never really had a proper invitation to a night out on New Year, and the one year I can't go out drinking and enjoy myself, I can't coz i'm at work at 6am the next day

What a load of b*llocks  >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/31/05 at 2:01 pm

There is no chance of me going out to Trafalgar Square tonight for London has a 24 hour Tube Strike on.

Written By: KKay on 12/31/05 at 3:47 pm

well, now I'm a teatotaler for the evening...snow means everyone will be taking cabs and
the party is not where I thought it was; it's further from my home...
i drive in the snow tonight. no beer, oh well...
i guess i'll have one wiht my sister when we get home!
have a safe one, everyone!!!!

Written By: danootaandme on 12/31/05 at 4:43 pm

Stay home, usually do on New Years.  We will get up tomorrow morning a drive into Boston to
see the Ice Sculptures, they are usually still up the day after.  I have one of those Garden Stone
kits.  Maybe we will make one to commemorate the new year.  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 12/31/05 at 5:31 pm

Not much.  Staying home and doing some work I brought home. 

Written By: Morton on 12/31/05 at 6:30 pm

Tried to get to sleep, got half an hour and that was it. So I went downstairs and watched Jules Holland's annual hootenanny. My aunty just phoned to wish me a happy new year, which was a pleasant surprise...

Slightly unpleasant, however, is the fact I have to be up in 5 hours time to go to work  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/05 at 6:32 pm

We told our "invitees" that the party starts at 8. It is now 7:30. We will see if anyone shows up.

Cat

Written By: Morton on 12/31/05 at 6:33 pm

We told our "invitees" that the party starts at 8. It is now 7:30. We will see if anyone shows up.

Cat

Hey, at least you have invitees.

We have the little kids from across the road running around the street screaming 'Happy New Year!'  ;D

Written By: KKay on 12/31/05 at 6:35 pm

Cat

If I begin now, I might find an outfit by 9:30 (7:30 now)
I'm debating leather pants and I want someone to talk me out of it (not at the end of the night...out of wearing them..oh, forget it.)
have a great night!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/05 at 6:36 pm

Hey, at least you have invitees.

We have the little kids from across the road running around the street screaming 'Happy New Year!'  ;D

But we never had a definate "I'm coming". We have had a few "I'll stop in for a bit" or "We can't make it". So, we have a refridge full of food and we are waiting to see what happens.

Cat

Written By: Morton on 12/31/05 at 6:37 pm

But we never had a definate "I'm coming". We have had a few "I'll stop in for a bit" or "We can't make it". So, we have a refridge full of food and we are waiting to see what happens.

Cat

I'm sure they'll turn up  ;)

Hell, if it wasn't for the dreaded 'w' word, i'd be out with my friends right now!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/05 at 6:38 pm

I'm sure they'll turn up  ;)

Hell, if it wasn't for the dreaded 'w' word, i'd be out with my friends right now!  ;D

There you go with that "four-letter" word again.

Cat

Written By: Morton on 12/31/05 at 6:39 pm

There you go with that "four-letter" word again.

Cat

Sorry, can't help myself  :P

Christ, the psycho-child next door's started singing 'Auld Lang Sign' now...  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/05 at 6:41 pm

If I begin now, I might find an outfit by 9:30 (7:30 now)
I'm debating leather pants and I want someone to talk me out of it (not at the end of the night...out of wearing them..oh, forget it.)
have a great night!

Don't wear them. Don't wear them.

(How's that?)

Cat

Written By: whitewolf on 12/31/05 at 10:00 pm

staying home and watching movies and posting here.

Hubby is working tonight :(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/31/05 at 10:18 pm

I am a bad host, there's 7 friends over & I snuck into the computer room to see what's going on here.  3 hours & 45min until NewYears. I can hear people in there wanting to play games so I better go before they start calling for me. I forgot to add the new emoticons.. and I hear them calling me . buh bye  ::) 8) ;)

Written By: jackas on 12/31/05 at 10:22 pm

I am a bad host, there's 7 friends over & I snuck into the computer room to see what's going on here.  3 hours & 45min until NewYears. I can hear people in there wanting to play games so I better go before they start calling for me.

Haha...I knew you were going to do that! ;D  I was going to make you a bet that it would happen, but then totally forgot.  I do that all the time when we have people over. ;)

Written By: loki 13 on 12/31/05 at 10:55 pm

This night went just as I had planned.4 minutes to
mid-night and it's just me, my wife and our grand-daughter
a bottle of sparkling apple-grape juice and a medal of honor
(rising sun) video game.It just doesn't get any better than this.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/31/05 at 11:14 pm

Haha...I knew you were going to do that! ;D  I was going to make you a bet that it would happen, but then totally forgot.  I do that all the time when we have people over. ;)
You should have Jacks, you would have won that bet easy. anyway, now on to games, It's already 2006 over there right?  we still got just under 3hrs and the girls wanna play a game called catch phrase and then a game called Scene It, we may sneak in some texas hold em after, but it'll probably to late for some. These are some noisy women over here  :o 

Written By: YWN on 12/31/05 at 11:36 pm

As always, I'm staying home.

Written By: jackas on 12/31/05 at 11:39 pm

You should have Jacks, you would have won that bet easy. anyway, now on to games, It's already 2006 over there right?  we still got just under 3hrs and the girls wanna play a game called catch phrase and the scene it, we may sneak in some texas hold em after, but it'll probably to late for some. These are some noisy women over here  :o 

I have 25 minutes left till 2006.  Have fun with the games. :)

Written By: mandamoo on 12/31/05 at 11:47 pm

We had some friends over for a barbie. It's now 4.45pm here on New Years day  :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/01/06 at 12:11 am

I have 25 minutes left till 2006.  Have fun with the games. :)
  ;D ;D ;D Happy New Year  :D :D Florida  1.55hr to go here

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/01/06 at 2:17 am

finally 2006    :) ;) :D ;D :o 8) ::) :P :-* here in California, watched the ball come down at Times Square that all you NewYorkers saw 3 hours ago. we played Auld Lang Syne, toasted, kissed, hugged, and then CRANKED UP "Play That Funky Music White Boy - Wild Cherry"  and danced.  Even had my church-lady wife playing air-guitar.

Written By: jackas on 01/01/06 at 2:45 am

finally 2006    :) ;) :D ;D :o 8) ::) :P :-* here in California, watched the ball come down at Times Square that all you NewYorkers saw 3 hours ago. we played Auld Lang Syne, toasted, kissed, hugged, and then CRANKED UP "Play That Funk Music White Boy - Wild Cherry"  and danced.  Even had my church-lady wife playing air-guitar.

;D

Happy New Year!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/01/06 at 5:23 am

I was surprised to see the Bangles perform last night on Dick Clark's Rockin New years Eve. They looked and sounded hot. The performed Hazy Shade of Winter

Written By: nally on 01/01/06 at 10:25 am

It was stay home for me. :)

Written By: loki 13 on 01/01/06 at 11:37 am

It was a stay at home night but the strangest thing was I
woke up this morning with a screaming headache.The strongest
drink I had last night was sparkling apple-grape juice,so I don't
know where the headache came from.

Written By: KKay on 01/01/06 at 11:59 am

the night was more mellow than I had planned..
only one real drunk in the crowd..
a few beers and home for TV and left-overs..
pretty nice.
now I'm off to brunch with "my real friends"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/01/06 at 2:06 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

Absolutely no one showed up last night.  :\'( :\'(  But at midnight, Carlos and I opened a bottle of spumonti, toasted in the new year and gave each other the New Year's kiss. Then we turned on one of "our songs" and waltz. If anyone showed up, we probably wouldn't have been able to do that.

Let's hope that 2006 is much better than 2005 was.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/01/06 at 2:08 pm

I went to Robin's friend's house in Syosset and we had a party with Shrimp,Meat,Fruit,Salad,Wine,Sparkling Apple Cider & cookies.I came home at 1:30am.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/01/06 at 3:17 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

Absolutely no one showed up last night.  :\'( :\'(  But at midnight, Carlos and I opened a bottle of spumonti, toasted in the new year and gave each other the New Year's kiss. Then we turned on one of "our songs" and waltz. If anyone showed up, we probably wouldn't have been able to do that.

Let's hope that 2006 is much better than 2005 was.

Cat
That sounds romantic.  I wouldn't mind doing that tonight with Lady Di

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/01/06 at 9:22 pm

I used to get, (how did NullandVoid put it ?) Plastered, but those days are gone but I'm gonna still have a good time ringing in the NewYear. I figured 39 years of drinking/pounding/gettin hammered was enough for me. Now it's Martinellis sparling cider, diet coke and coffee. no more porcelin gods for me KKay. Actually, I used to drink gallons and not get sick but I got tired of it. Everyone be safe & call if you need a designated drive.  :D :D :D    hey Quirk & Beth, isn't it raining up there? Are you guys gonna camp in the rain?  :-\\

Yes, it actually rained nearly all of New Year's Eve...but we didn't let that get the best of us. The bonfire still was a blazing, and we were all acting goofy, blowing our party horns and laughing about stupid stuff. Today was sunny and mild...it was a fun and relaxing time.

Happy New Year everyone! :)

Written By: jaytee on 01/02/06 at 12:01 am

Went to a gathering of some of our closest friends with Paul and the kids.  Had a really great night.  Great food, French champagne, karaoke, lots of dancing and singing.  The kids swam for most of the evening and then got into the karaoke.  The best thing was that it was about a five minute walk from home and we didn't have to worry about cabs.  Paul took the kids home at about 1.30 and I walked home at about a quarter to 4!  :D

Sorry to hear how sadly 2005 and ended for your family Henk. :\'(  You're in my prayers.

Hope 2006 is a terrific year for all!!

Check for new replies or respond here...