inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will you listen to a jerk's music if it's good?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 12:55 am

I will, as long as it does not support their crimes. 

After all, if it sounds good why not?  If I feel bad about giving them money I will download.  Damon Albairn's supposed to be a jerk, but I like the Gorillaz.

Subject: Re: Will you listen to a jerk's music if it's good?

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/06 at 12:56 am

I will, as long as it does not support their crimes. 

After all, if it sounds good why not?  If I feel bad about giving them money I will download.  Damon Albairn's supposed to be a jerk, but I like the Gorillaz.

Damon Albairn seems like a good guy.  I like him better with Blur, than I do with Gorillaz

Written By: ADH13 on 01/03/06 at 1:00 am

It depends on what you mean by a jerk.  I won't ever buy a Skinny Puppy album because they supposedly abused puppies on stage at their concerts... but I'm not crazy about their music anyway... even if I was, I wouldn't ever buy their album if that allegation was proven to be true.

But if I just thought they were too cocky or let the fame go to their head, but their music was good, yes I would still listen to it.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 1:03 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/06 at 1:04 am

It depends on what you mean by a jerk.  I won't ever buy a Skinny Puppy album because they supposedly abused puppies on stage at their concerts... but I'm not crazy about their music anyway... even if I was, I wouldn't ever buy their album if that allegation was proven to be true.

I'm not sure if it's puppies, but as part of their live shows, they often disect objects on stage

Written By: ADH13 on 01/03/06 at 1:06 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 1:08 am

But if I just thought they were too cocky or let the fame go to their head, but their music was good, yes I would still listen to it.

Good answer.

I'd say this: I will not listen to their music if it supports crime, even in a small way, but it's not because I no longer like the music.  It's not even to punish the bandmembers; it's just about not supporting junk.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/03/06 at 1:44 am

Sure, I like The Doors.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 1:51 am

Sure, I like The Doors.

You like Franz Ferdinand  ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/03/06 at 1:53 am

I don't see why not. Listening and buying are too different things though. EG: If someone abused puppies on stage etc, but their music was still good, I'd still listen to it, but refuse to buy a CD.

...What Oddyssey said.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/03/06 at 1:57 am

You like Franz Ferdinand  ;D

I've only gotten into them the last month or so and don't really know anything of their actual personalities or their personal views. Do they(or one of them at least) have a rep for being jerk/s?

And btw, I doubt thats true about Skinny Puppy. My older cousin's girlfriend was really off into them and a lot of the similar bands of "That day", and I think alot of them support PETA and the like. I think what you are referring to is actually meant as an act of demonstration in protest of cruelty to animals. I've never heard anything about them harming animals onstage. They have, however, shown footage of meat factories and the like and perhaps they have done a fake demonstration that through simple rumor has been fabricated into a real incident.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/03/06 at 2:00 am

I've only gotten into them the last month or so and don't really know anything of their actual personalities or their personal views. Do they(or one of them at least) have a rep for being jerk/s?

And btw, I doubt thats true about Skinny Puppy. My older cousin's girlfriend was really off into them and a lot of the similar bands of "That day", and I think alot of them support PETA and the like. I think what you are referring to is actually meant as an act of demonstration in protest of cruelty to animals. I've never heard anything about them harming animals onstage. They have, however, shown footage of meat factories and the like and perhaps they have done a fake demonstration that through simple rumor has been fabricated into a real incident.

I hope you're right... I never did hear anything concrete as to whether or not the allegations were confirmed or not... and since I didn't really care for their music, I didn't look much into it because I wouldn't buy their music anyway.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 2:17 am

I'm not sure if they're jerks, but they said they hated "Take Me Out" because it was like "Selling Out", and in the situation it seemed kind of uncalled for.  But if they rock, they rock.

Written By: jackas on 01/03/06 at 8:18 am

Yeah, I guess.  I like Rage Against the Machine.

Written By: KKay on 01/03/06 at 8:37 am

My husband once asked me if I would buy Charles Manson's music if I could..
it's debatable in my head; I jut don't want him to get themoney...but it would be a novel item to own.
how about that?

Written By: danootaandme on 01/03/06 at 8:45 am

If you don't listen to someone because they are a jerk, you wouldn't have much to listen to.  Why stop
at music, if you were to do this you would have to extend it to books, art, shopping, etc.  You would
be naked, hungry, and very soon dead.

Written By: jackas on 01/03/06 at 8:58 am

If you don't listen to someone because they are a jerk, you wouldn't have much to listen to.  Why stop
at music, if you were to do this you would have to extend it to books, art, shopping, etc.  You would
be naked, hungry, and very soon dead.

Very true.

Check for new replies or respond here...