inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is British to you? What does it mean?

Written By: Naomi2005 on 01/03/06 at 10:17 pm

1. What is British to you?
2. What does it mean to you?
3. What words or images come to mind when you think of Britian?
4. Which country/city are you in?
5. Age?

This is some research for a uni project I am working on!

Just copy and paste these questions or number your answers with the correct question.

Thank you!

Subject: Re: What is British to you? What does it mean?

Written By: ADH13 on 01/03/06 at 10:20 pm

1. What is British to you?  From Great Britain
2. What does it mean to you?  From Great Britain
3. What words or images come to mind when you think of Britian? Rain, bricks, accent
4. Which country/city are you in? USA
5. Age? 33

Not sure the difference between questions 1 & 2...

if you ever see a user named deadrockstar on here, you should definitely ask him.. he's really into the whole British culture thing.

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/06 at 10:22 pm

1. What is British to you? Dance Music
2. What does it mean to you? Hard to understand accents
3. What words or images come to mind when you think of Britian? Spice Girls, Dance Music, #1 Song/Album Debuts
4. Which country/city are you in? Canada
5. Age? 28

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 10:31 pm

1. What is British to you? Technically, Picts and Celts, but more English and Scottish
2. What does it mean to you? Smarts, A Nice Accent, Great Humor
3. What words or images come to mind when you think of Britian? "Speak Propalee"
4. Which country/city are you in? A Tangent Universe of Middlesex, Virginia
5. Age? 16 in 1988

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/03/06 at 11:23 pm

1. What is British to you?  Someone from the UK
2. What does it mean to you? Great rock n' roll, a wonderfully dry sense of humor that my fellow Americans sometimes don't quite dig but I love it, a better hold on what the social contract means(i.e. national health care)
3. What words or images come to mind when you think of Britian? Beer, The Beatles(of course), Parliament, chavs, lots of cursing(you know its true!), Beer, Monty Python, Faulty Towers, Pink Floyd, Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs, Ali G, Borat, football, beer, marshes, Pakis, and um..did I say beer?
4. Which country/city are you in? Texas, USA
5. Age? 18

Written By: jaytee on 01/03/06 at 11:25 pm

1. What is British to you?  The Royal Family
2. What does it mean to you?  Old fashioned.
3. What words or images come to mind when you think of Britian?  Cricket, country estates, soccer hoodlums, English humour, travel.
4. Which country/city are you in?  Australia
5. Age? 46

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/03/06 at 11:33 pm

1. What is British to you?....someone from the UK
2. What does it mean to you?...um...same as above
3. What words or images come to mind when you think of Britian?  doc marten shoes, good dance/techno music, rain, historical, awesome accents, unique comedy, Mary Poppins.
4. Which country/city are you in? Pennsylvania--US
5. Age? 29

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/03/06 at 11:35 pm

1. What is British to you? Anything directly related to Great Britain or the UK
2. What does it mean to you? Posh, long-standing traditions, a certain class that is almost unattainable
3. What words or images come to mind when you think of Britian? Double decker buses, great countryside, the Queen, beautiful accents
4. Which country/city are you in? Los Angeles (though I moved there from Philadelphia) - United States
5. Age? 29

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/04/06 at 12:33 am

1. What is British to you? Someone or something from Great Britain: England, Wales, the UK
2. What does it mean to you? Monarchy, awesome musical invasion of USA
3. What words or images come to mind when you think of Britian? John, Paul, George, and Ringo , Lady Di, Toad in the Hole, Austin Powers, Philip Eno  8)
4. Which country/city are you in? California, USA
5. Age 49

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 12:39 am

Its kinda weird. My responses seem to be more what you would expect of someone from the UK(i.e. more updtate as to the current culture of the UK), while the others are most definitely an outsider POV, that seem to reflect what people traditionally think of as "British".

I guess I've been Brit-ized alot more than I realised.  :D

Thanks Andy!  :P

Although I've been chatting with Brits since way back before him. The first time I made an online friend from Britain was back at about 12, then in High school in Houston I knew a couple of Brits in real life.. Andrea is right I guess, I am a bit of an Anglophile.  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/04/06 at 12:42 am

Its kinda weird. My responses seem to be more what you would expect of someone from the UK(i.e. more updtate as to the current culture of the UK), while the others are most definitely an outsider POV, that seem to reflect what people traditionally think of as "British".

I guess I've been Brit-ized alot more than I realised.  :D

Thanks Andy!  :P

Although I've been chatting with Brits since way back before him. The first time I made an online friend from Britain was back at about 12, then in High school in Houston I knew a couple of Brits in real life.. Andrea is right I guess, I am a bit of an Anglophile.  ;D

I've actually been there four times. So I was speaking generally. lol

Written By: jackas on 01/04/06 at 12:47 am

1. What is British to you?  Someone from the UK

2. What does it mean to you?  Accents......Benny Hill

3. What words or images come to mind when you think of Britian?  Cold, overcast, depressing, crowded

4. Which country/city are you in?  US/Pensacola

5. Age? 32

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 12:49 am

I've actually been there four times. So I was speaking generally. lol

Hmm, I didn't take that into account.

But, seriously..what normal American even knows the word "chav"?  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/04/06 at 12:50 am

true, I see what you are saying.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/04/06 at 12:53 am

BTW, that's a quite derogatory term to my knowledge.  ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/04/06 at 12:55 am

Does an American have any need to know?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/04/06 at 1:00 am

no not really. lol

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/04/06 at 1:07 am

Almost forgot; what the heck is a "chav"?  :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 1:10 am

Yeah, who cares about 6 billion other viewpoints? We don't need no stinkin' broadened horizons in this country.

Real Americans fail geography. Its a fact, people!  ::)

Btw, a chav is an English slang term for what we might call white trash sometimes in this country. I think similar terms also existent in the Brit vernacular would be townie, or yardie. Sasha Baron Cohen's character Ali G, for example,  is supposed to be a chav who trys to act hip hop, I believe.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 1:11 am

I'm guilty of being America-centered myself, but I do think the rest of the world is overall more important because it's so much bigger  :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 1:13 am

I'm guilty of being America-centered myself, but I do think the rest of the world is overall more important because it's so much bigger  :)

I'm the opposite. A true child of globalisation.  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 1:15 am

I'm the opposite. A true child of globalisation.  ;D

Globalisation sucks  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/04/06 at 1:17 am

Yeah, who cares about 6 billion other viewpoints? We don't need no stinkin' broadened horizons in this country.

Btw, a chav is an English slang term for what we might call white trash sometimes in this country. I think similar terms also existent in the Brit vernacular would be townie, or yardie. Sasha Baron Cohen's character Ali G, for example,  is supposed to be a chav who trys to act hip hop, I believe.

the funny thing is the characteristics that is placed is almost like what some would consider "hip hop" or "ghetto". Crazy!

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 1:20 am

Globalisation sucks  ;D

I think the economic part has it's problems, but I think culturally its awesome. There are so many great things that we can experience out there from beyond our borders. Music, food, art, cinema..we aren't necessarily the kings of all those fields, except maybe cinema. I dunno though, I do like Bollywood films quite a bit. Italian, French, Chinese, Indian etc. are all infinitely better in the food department.. The Brits are better at rock n roll, India has a lot of great music to be heard, as does Latin America.. Just so many things to enjoy that people shut out due to silly notions of nationality.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/04/06 at 1:22 am

I think the economic part has it's problems, but I think culturally its awesome. There are so many great things that we can experience out there from beyond our borders. Music, food, art, cinema..we aren't necessarily the kings of all those fields, except maybe cinema. I dunno though, I do like Bollywood films quite a bit. Italian, French, Chinese, Indian etc. are all infinitely better in the food department.. The Brits are better at rock n roll, India has a lot of great music to be heard, as does Latin America.. Just so many things to enjoy that people shut out due to silly notions of nationality.

I agree with you. However, I can't say that the brits are better at rock and roll. lol, they just study it harder.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/04/06 at 1:32 am

So if I go to UK, can I call someone a chav, or do you have to be a chav to be able to call someone else a chav? I appreciate you clueing me in on the british urban slang. I remember being very stoned in geography class with a caucasian teacher that had a huge afro hairdo. Not a very conducive learning environment. As for Brit's rock and roll, I think their music is gear. The beatles, kinks, Dave Clark 5, Faces, Humble Pie, and of course, the beloved Badfinger is the very best in the world.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 1:33 am

So if I go to UK, can I call someone a chav, or do you have to be a chav to be able to call someone else a chav? I appreciate you clueing me in on the british urban slang. I remember being very stoned in geography class with a caucasian teacher that had a huge afro hairdo. Not a very conducive learning environment. As for Brit's rock and roll, I think their music is gear. The beatles, kinks, Dave Clark 5, Faces, Humble Pie, and of course, the beloved Badfinger is the very best in the world.

From what I know, English people are very hard to insult, sort of like trying to anger a Beefeater  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/04/06 at 1:35 am

I still don't know what a Chav is, but I do know that Stompgal knows alot of Chav jokes  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 1:37 am

Well, people who don't like them often use the term to put them down, but its not the type of thing you say to a person's face unless you mean it to be an insult. Kind of like "hick" or "redneck" here.

From what I know, English people are very hard to insult, sort of like trying to anger a Beefeater  ;D

Theres a certain amount of truth to that, I think. The level of profanity that is used commonplace in England would in lots of cases be considered inappropriate here. I think the English are a LOT less uptight than us, which is the opposite of the impression most Americans seem to have of England. "Land of good manners", from all the Brits I've known that term is actually pretty laughable.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/04/06 at 1:42 am

Well, people who don't like them often use the term to put them down, but its not the type of thing you say to a person's face unless you mean it to be an insult. Kind of like "hick" or "redneck" here.

Theres a certain amount of truth to that, I think. The level of profanity that is used commonplace in England would in lots of cases be considered inappropriate here. I think the English are a LOT less uptight than us, which is the opposite of the impression most Americans seem to have of England. "Land of good manners", from all the Brits I've known that term is actually pretty laughable.
I've watched the English Parliment in session on tv with the Prime Minister and manners are not present when someone is expressing their viewpoint, it's quite fascinating to watch them go at each other. I would never insult someone like that anyway, but if they called me a bloody yankee american, I'd probably take it as a compliment.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 1:42 am

I think Brits are wiser than Americans, because they have a much longer history.  As thus they tend to, as a culture, not be as affected by insults, as really you only should be if they're true and in that case you should be insulted.  

Now I don't want to get political, but I think their stance on the Death Penalty and such shows that: Americans tend to be more old-fashioned, masculine, and immature because of the youngness of their nation.  Not that I'm necessarily against the death penalty, but Brits tend to be less angry and reactive than us in the States and their DP stance, among many other things, shows that.  

Of course that's a generalization and I'm smoothing out edges though.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 1:53 am

I think Brits are wiser than Americans, because they have a much longer history.  As thus they tend to, as a culture, not be as affected by insults, as really you only should be if they're true and in that case you should be insulted. 

Now I don't want to get political, but I think their stance on the Death Penalty and such shows that: Americans tend to be more old-fashioned, masculine, and immature because of the youngness of their nation.  Not that I'm necessarily against the death penalty, but Brits tend to be less angry and reactive than us in the States and their DP stance, among many other things, shows that. 

Of course that's a generalization and I'm smoothing out edges though.

Great analogy. When we picture a young man, maybe someone in his early to mid 20s(which is kinda where America is at as a nation), we picture them as being less sure of themselves, therefore more knee-jerk reactionary and uptight. Yet, when we picture a man in his late 50s to early 60s(which is where Britain is at as a nation), we picture someone sure of themselves and wise; therefore less defensive and more laidback.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/04/06 at 1:58 am

Very well thought out people, I think Naomi2005 has gotten more than she expected for her research project.  ;)

Written By: Naomi2005 on 01/04/06 at 10:47 am

Thank you for all your posts interesting disscussions going on, please keep posting .... :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/06 at 12:04 pm

'British' is as an adjective to describe someone or something from the United Kingdom.
Or, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland or UK.

The island of Great Britain which consists of the nations of England, Scotland and Wales.

Rule, Britannia!

Chorus:
Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves!
Britons never, never, never shall be slaves.
Please - never sing 'Britannia rules the waves'. Thank you.

When Britain first, at heaven's command,
Arose from out the azure main,
This was the charter of the land,
And Guardian Angels sang this strain:

(Chorus)

The nations not so blest as thee
Must, in their turn, to tyrants fall,
While thou shalt flourish great and free:
The dread and envy of them all.

(Chorus)

Still more majestic shalt thou rise,
More dreadful from each foreign stroke,
As the loud blast that tears the skies
Serves but to root thy native oak.

(Chorus)

Thee haughty tyrants ne'er shall tame;
All their attempts to bend thee down
Will but arouse thy generous flame,
But work their woe and thy renown.

(Chorus)

To thee belongs the rural reign;
Thy cities shall with commerce shine;
All thine shall be the subject main,
And every shore it circles, thine.

(Chorus)

The Muses, still with freedom found,
Shall to thy happy coasts repair.
Blest isle! with matchless beauty crowned,
And manly hearts to guard the fair.

(Chorus)
Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves!
Britons never, never, never shall be slaves.

London, UK

5. Age?
405 years, when King James VI of Scotland and I of England, when on 20 October 1604 he proclaimed himself "King of Great Brittaine".

Written By: KKay on 01/04/06 at 12:12 pm

1. What is British to you? Better TV comedy than we have, rain, bad food, 60s and 70s movies I like,
royalty, tweed, tea.
2. What does it mean to you? see above...but it also means a place much older than the US, with older tradition that I should know more about than what's listed in #1
3. What words or images come to mind when you think of Britian? Queen, Benny Hill, countryside, the Fastnet race (for all you sailors) and fox hunting dogs.
4. Which country/city are you in? Staten Island, New York
5. Age? 40

Written By: Morton on 01/04/06 at 1:05 pm

Everyday life

I'm proud to be British, so it means a lot

Her maj, good old British fish and chips, soaked in vinegar from a seaside chippy, yorkshire puddings, football (ACTUAL football, not 'soccer'), pubs,

England / Sunderland

5. Age?

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/04/06 at 4:09 pm

1. What is British to you? something that comes from the UK
2. What does it mean to you? it means it's from England  ::)
3. What words or images come to mind when you think of Britian? The British flag
4. Which country/city are you in? CA, USA
5. Age? 14

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/04/06 at 4:29 pm

1. What is British to you?  People from Great Britain
2. What does it mean to you?  Beautiful countryside, delightful accents, great humor
3. What words or images come to mind when you think of Britian?  The Royal Family, The Beatles...and a particular member of this forum
4. Which country/city are you in?  U.S.A.
5. Age?  39

Written By: jaytee on 01/05/06 at 4:18 am

Rule, Britannia!

Chorus:
Rule, Britannia! marmalade and jam
Five chinese crackers up ya ar$ehole
Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang !

This is what we used to sing as kids  :o

Written By: Stompgal on 01/05/06 at 5:38 am

Programmes like Little Britain and the Carry On films.
The humour in the shows and films.
Beach locations such as Brighton and Barry and fish and chips.
Newport, South Wales, UK.
5. Age?

Written By: Morton on 01/05/06 at 11:03 am

Is it Brit Appreciation Week on here or something?! It's just i've noticed there's been a lot more talk of Brit-related things on here recently...

..and even if it isn't Brit Appreciation Week... let's have one anyway!  ;D

Ruuuuuuuuuuuule Britania!!!  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/06 at 12:06 pm

This is what we used to sing as kids  :o

Not the version I know?

Written By: MLB on 01/05/06 at 2:01 pm

An assortment of friends, memories of walking in front of the Palace and wishing it was the day the guards changed places, saying aluminium and  The "cute" accents like in Shakespeare in love and Knight's Tale...although those are faked somewhat and not entirely British.  and taking the train 5 miles down the road from the shire to the heart of Oxford because there's no parking for the car! And seeing a trolley selling Paddington Bears in Paddington Station!

Check for new replies or respond here...