inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Interesting/out of the ordinary experiences in your life

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 10:25 pm

I'll start. Back in '92, my dad was a precinct voting judge, and was also a big supporter of Clinton's campaign for the Presidency.

Well, President Clinton came to speak at the local community college; I was 4.

I was sitting by the stage with some other kids close to a bunch of crates. Not knowing any better I climbed up them and onto the stage, lol. He then picked me up. I actually remember it quite clearly. I remember him holding me and waving my arm out at the audience. Its one of my earliest memories. Kinda strange, for one of your earliest memories in life to be a world leader holding you.  ;D

Heres another, this is also world events-related. My high school(Hauke in Conroe, Texas) has an alumni(who didnt go at the same time as me) who was related to a very famous(now dead) person. Who was he? Yasser Arafat's nephew. I was like "WTF?" when the principal told me that; I thought she was pulling my leg at first. I wasn't even aware Arafat had American relatives.

Subject: Re: Interesting/out of the ordinary experiences in your life

Written By: whistledog on 01/04/06 at 10:27 pm

For me, it was the day I almost met Canadian Speaker of the House of Commons, Peter Milliken.  I saw him in "Staples"and he nodded at me, but as I was walking out the door, I tripped, and bumped into him.  The coffee cup he was holding got knocked from his hand, and the coffee went all over his suit. 

Maybe this is why when I went into his office to see if I could be a Poll Clerk at Election Time, I was denied  ;D

Written By: jackas on 01/04/06 at 10:40 pm

I wasn't even aware Arafat had American relatives.

Osama Bin Laden does, why not Arafat. :P

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 11:00 pm

Osama Bin Laden does, why not Arafat. :P

True. OH, did you hear about how his niece who is from Cali posed for some really racy pics in some mag? I think it may have been GQ..

I laughed my ass off thinking about that and what he would think if he knew.

Actually, they showed the pics on TV: me likey. I must say, she was hot.  ;D

Written By: jackas on 01/04/06 at 11:03 pm

True. OH, did you hear about how his niece who is from Cali posed for some really racy pics in some mag? I think it may have been GQ..

I laughed my ass off thinking about that and what he would think if he knew.

Actually, they showed the pics on TV: me likey. I must say, she was hot.  ;D

That's the girl.  Yeah, she's pretty.  Although at some angles you can see him.http://bestsmileys.com/evil/7.gif

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/04/06 at 11:23 pm

I'll start. Back in '92, my dad was a precinct voting judge, and was also a big supporter of Clinton's campaign for the Presidency.

Well, President Clinton came to speak at the local community college; I was 4.

I was sitting by the stage with some other kids close to a bunch of crates. Not knowing any better I climbed up them and onto the stage, lol. He then picked me up. I actually remember it quite clearly. I remember him holding me and waving my arm out at the audience. Its one of my earliest memories. Kinda strange, for one of your earliest memories in life to be a world leader holding you.  ;D

Heres another, this is also world events-related. My high school(Hauke in Conroe, Texas) has an alumni(who didnt go at the same time as me) who was related to a very famous(now dead) person. Who was he? Yasser Arafat's nephew. I was like "WTF?" when the principal told me that; I thought she was pulling my leg at first. I wasn't even aware Arafat had American relatives.
I love your Bill Clinton experience and I hope you stole his mojo  J/K  8)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/05/06 at 12:54 am

Well, as far as meeting famous people - probably my best and closest encounter - well, make that encounters - was with Arnold the Governator. I first saw him in 2003 at the newspaper I was working for when he arrived at the front counter and walked in with a swarm of photographers and bodyguards. He never stopped or said anything much that I remember, but he did walk slowly enough for me to be about 2 feet away and grasp his entire bodyframe and persona.

And well, coming back for a second interview at our newspaper, I saw him sometime around last year (I think it was in August or September as I was spending my last days at the front counter) This time there wasn't as much hoopla around it and he came in with maybe one or two bodyguards and actually stopped and commented on how old our grandfather clock looked. He kinda assessed everything and this time I really got a really good up close view of him and again was maybe 2 feet away as I was before. Very cool to see someone so close 2 times in a row!

Another strange celebrity encounter was when I was at an Al Stewart concert about 2 1/2 years ago. We were waiting for the concert to start and I was just kinda wandering around abit on my own looking at the promo stuff they had laying around and here I bump into this 50 something looking guy. Well, turns out it WAS Al Stewart once I saw him onstage - very strange!

Written By: jackas on 01/05/06 at 9:04 am

Well, as far as meeting famous people - probably my best and closest encounter - well, make that encounters - was with Arnold the Governator. I first saw him in 2003 at the newspaper I was working for when he arrived at the front counter and walked in with a swarm of photographers and bodyguards. He never stopped or said anything much that I remember, but he did walk slowly enough for me to be about 2 feet away and grasp his entire bodyframe and persona.

And well, coming back for a second interview at our newspaper, I saw him sometime around last year (I think it was in August or September as I was spending my last days at the front counter) This time there wasn't as much hoopla around it and he came in with maybe one or two bodyguards and actually stopped and commented on how old our grandfather clock looked. He kinda assessed everything and this time I really got a really good up close view of him and again was maybe 2 feet away as I was before. Very cool to see someone so close 2 times in a row!

Another strange celebrity encounter was when I was at an Al Stewart concert about 2 1/2 years ago. We were waiting for the concert to start and I was just kinda wandering around abit on my own looking at the promo stuff they had laying around and here I bump into this 50 something looking guy. Well, turns out it WAS Al Stewart once I saw him onstage - very strange!

That would be too cool to see Arnold! :D  I would have been ecstatic, of course I would have acted that way after he left.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/06 at 6:27 pm

As far as concerts go back when I was about 9 or 10 my parents and me went to a musical festival, at which Eric Burdon(of The Animals, most famous for "House Of The Rising Sun") and Elvis Costello were both playing. Elvis played earlier in the evening, and before he went onstage he was standing by the refreshments table(it was an outside, open-air, fairly intimate type of thing, just a couple of hundred people if that in the audience), so I walked with my dad over to where he was and I remember standing there while my dad got to speak to him for a few minutes, and before he left he shook my hand. Later on after Eric Burdon(am i spelling his name right?) was done playing as he was coming offstage I got to high five him(along with the rest of the surrounding mob lol).

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/05/06 at 7:08 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/05/06 at 7:13 pm

Why does Arnold need bodyguards?  :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/05/06 at 7:30 pm

Why does Arnold need bodyguards?  :D

lol. Kinda an oxymoron for him. He'd be the last person who needed one, unless his heart gave out...

Check for new replies or respond here...