inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Has anyone here ever owned a waterbed?

Written By: ADH13 on 01/08/06 at 12:10 am

I've been debating buying one... partly because my husband is a big man and we always end up with peaks and valleys in our mattresses over time... and also because you can heat up the waterbeds, which would be nice since I'm always cold...

But I've also heard horror stories about them leaking, and about when someone gets into bed after you're already in it, it sends you flying upward....

So I was just wondering if any of you have had any experiences...

Subject: Re: Has anyone here ever owned a waterbed?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/08/06 at 12:12 am

Yes...I had one ages ago...I HATED it. It was uncomfortable...it made my back hurt.  I have heard stories of them leaking...but it never really happened to me. My parents still own one...and they are getting rid of it because it is making their back hurt as well. :-\\

Written By: ADH13 on 01/08/06 at 12:14 am

Yes...I had one ages ago...I HATED it. It was uncomfortable...it made my back hurt.  I have heard stories of them leaking...but it never really happened to me. My parents still own one...and they are getting rid of it because it is making their back hurt as well. :-\\

Wow, I would have thought that it would be easier on the back than a regular mattress...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/08/06 at 12:16 am

Wow, I would have thought that it would be easier on the back than a regular mattress...

maybe it depends upon the person....but from personal experience..it wasn't the greatest.  The only thing that I liked about it was that in the winter time it was nice and warm...but, when you were sick with the flu...it wasn't the best place to be :P

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/08/06 at 12:16 am

I've been debating buying one... partly because my husband is a big man and we always end up with peaks and valleys in our mattresses over time... and also because you can heat up the waterbeds, which would be nice since I'm always cold...

But I've also heard horror stories about them leaking, and about when someone gets into bed after you're already in it, it sends you flying upward....

So I was just wondering if any of you have had any experiences...

I slept in a waterbed from the age of 6 to 13. Leaks are not really a common problem. Only if you poke a hole in it accidentally with a sharp object..so keep those away from it, lol.

About the heat..the thing I'd caution you most on if you want one is that you should always make sure its at the appropriate temperature. One time somehow the temperature on mine got turned down too much, not enough for me to notice but just enough so that after a week or so I actually developed pnuemonia.

It never hurt my back at all. But I was a kid so..

As for the flying upward its not really that bad either. Although there is definitely a wave to it if theres a lot of motion but thats not always negative.  :D

Written By: ADH13 on 01/08/06 at 12:18 am

when you were sick with the flu...it wasn't the best place to be :P

eww, i can imagine that... :P

Written By: ADH13 on 01/08/06 at 12:20 am

I slept in a waterbed from the age of 6 to 13. Leaks are not really a common problem. Only if you poke a hole in it accidentally with a sharp object..so keep those away from it, lol.

About the heat..the thing I'd caution you most on if you want one is that you should always make sure its at the appropriate temperature. One time somehow the temperature on mine got turned down too much, not enough for me to notice but just enough so that after a week or so I actually developed pnuemonia.

It never hurt my back at all. But I was a kid so..

As for the flying upward its not really that bad either. Although there is definitely a wave to it if theres a lot of motion but thats not always negative.  :D

haha luckily I'm not prone to motion sickness...  I wish I could sleep on one for a night or two just to see how it feels before I make up my mind.  I did lay on one for a minute at the store but that doesn't really give you a good feel for sleeping on it...

Written By: Paul on 01/08/06 at 6:28 am

Water beds?

Bad news...

One of 'em actually caused the break-up of one of my relationships...

True...the thing burst one night and we both 'drifted' apart...

(Okay...I'm leaving right now...!)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/08/06 at 6:55 am

^  ;D

Yeah, I'm not too keen on the old waterbed. I've been in one and it felt strange... don't ask me why.

Written By: Morton on 01/08/06 at 8:56 am

Nope

Written By: gemini on 01/08/06 at 9:11 am

We had one for awhile that was semi waveless, so it wasn't too bad about sloshing around too much. But when I started having back problems, it wasn't firm enough, so we got rid of it and got a king size mattress to put in the frame. Oh, and another thing, if the heat gets turned down somehow, or quits working, it's freezing, almost impossible to sleep on.

Written By: jackas on 01/08/06 at 9:51 am

Water beds?

Bad news...

One of 'em actually caused the break-up of one of my relationships...

True...the thing burst one night and we both 'drifted' apart...

(Okay...I'm leaving right now...!)

http://bestsmileys.com/paranoid/3.gif

;D

Written By: jackas on 01/08/06 at 10:00 am

How about getting one of those memory foam beds instead.  I think they are called Tempur-Pedic.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/08/06 at 10:02 am

How about getting one of those memory foam beds instead.  I think they are called Tempur-Pedic.

Ooh, I'd love to have one of those as I have back problems. Getting older is going to suck I can already tell.. ;D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/08/06 at 10:27 am

I used to have one...and I loved it...

The problem was that our dog (at the time) decided to bury his bone in it, thus puncturing a hole...(  ::) ) so we went back to the old conventional bed... 

Written By: jackas on 01/08/06 at 10:39 am

Ooh, I'd love to have one of those as I have back problems. Getting older is going to suck I can already tell.. ;D

Nah, you've just got to keep in shape.  I had more back problems at 20 then I do now. ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/08/06 at 11:11 am

Nah, you've just got to keep in shape.  I had more back problems at 20 then I do now. ;)

I bet, with the Air Force and all.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/08/06 at 11:25 am

But I want to.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/08/06 at 11:36 am

'Ey, I sent away for a free hunk of a Tempur-Pedic bed and a video about it..! And slap my ass and call me Sally, that hunk was a little piece of Heaven.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/08/06 at 11:38 am

'Ey, I sent away for a free hunk of a Tempur-Pedic bed and a video about it..! And slap my ass and call me Sally, that hunk was a little piece of Heaven.

You're so odd.. ;D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/08/06 at 11:40 am

You're so odd.. ;D

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/A_VictimOfYou/untitled00.jpg

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/08/06 at 11:43 am

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/A_VictimOfYou/untitled00.jpg

Eek! Me and blanket are scared; theres a ghoost in our house..

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/08/06 at 11:56 am

I had a waterbed about 15 years ago. I'd just got out of the Army, was living with my parents, and a neighbor of ours gave us one for free. It wasn't very comfortable, and maybe this was because it was an older model, but the waterbed heater sent my parents' electric bill through the roof.
    What about one of those "Select-Comfort" beds that Paul Harvey is always pimping?  ::)

Written By: Howard on 01/08/06 at 12:21 pm

Nope,never owned one.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/08/06 at 1:37 pm

I have a memory foam pillow... but not the mattress.  Yeah that might be a better idea, I hadn't even thought of the electric bill.. my husband already gripes about me turning the heater on because he's worried about the bill... :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/08/06 at 2:13 pm

I had a waterbed for about 10 years or so. I absolutely loved it. But, Carlos hated it so when I moved in here with him, that was one of the things I had to give up. He thinks that my back problems stem from it but I'm not too sure. I don't remember waking up with back pain like I do now. You can get a baffled one which doesn't cause as many "waves" but I always like the waves. I used to "rock" myself to sleep every night. With a waterbed, you have to make sure there is enough water in it, the heater is the right temp, you have to put the anti-algae stuff in every 6 months,  etc, etc. Oh, and another thing-things get "lost" in it. One of my best friends lost a necklace that was very important to her. After looking and looking for it, she thought it was gone forever. But then she found it in the bed. It slipped down betwen the mattress and box.

I wouldn't mind having another one but like said, Carlos hated it so it is out of the question.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/08/06 at 3:36 pm

well...I am not going to slap your ass OR call you Sally....but yes, I totally remember when you received that little piece of Heaven (AKA....matress hunk) in the mail.......hey, were you not the one who also received a video about that Thermo Spa hot tub?? LOL! ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 01/08/06 at 4:50 pm

I have had a couple.  I loved them both.  The only reason I don't have one now is that I live in a trailer and I don't want to worry about the weight causing problems with the floors.  I never had back problems with it or got tossed out when someone got in. 

Check for new replies or respond here...