inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How many albums do you have?!

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/09/06 at 11:42 pm

This counts as EPs, LPs, of any form

Computer file
vinyl
8 track
cassette
CD

I myself, don't know.

probably 700?

Subject: Re: How many albums do you have?!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/09/06 at 11:44 pm

Ugh. Too many Cd's--I'm not gonna count. On Vinyl? Probably around 10 or so.

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/09/06 at 11:47 pm

About 20 CDs, some are lost somewhere. Maybe 15 casettes. A ton of stuff on the computer.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/09/06 at 11:48 pm

Not counting duplicates in any way (i.e. some I have two or three tape copies of -- others I have on CD and tape, etc), around 500 tapes and 400 CD's.

So that's 900.

P.S. Does this include compilations, soundtracks, greatest hits and non-music albums (i.e. standup comedy) too? ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/10/06 at 12:01 am

Not counting duplicates in any way (i.e. some I have two or three tape copies of -- others I have on CD and tape, etc), around 500 tapes and 400 CD's.

So that's 900.

P.S. Does this include compilations, soundtracks, greatest hits and non-music albums (i.e. standup comedy) too? ;)

uh... sure

well, CD's, I have about 500, maybe 100 vinyls.. like... 3 cassettes.. I have 10,000 songs on my computer... I dunno

~Dominic

Written By: ADH13 on 01/10/06 at 12:04 am

I'm not really into albums.  I have almost 1000 songs on my computer, and maybe two or three christmas cd's.  Even way back when I was a teen, i preferred singles.  When I couldn't find a single of the song I wanted, I would get really upset that i had to buy the whole album just for one song.  So I'd usually buy it, go home and tape the song I wanted, then re-sell the album to the used record store. :D

Written By: whistledog on 01/10/06 at 12:12 am

CD's - Around 300
LP's - Around 300
45's - About 1,000
Cassette Tapes - Over 5,000
8 Track - Just 1

mp3's - Over 5,000 (4126 of those include every single Billboard Hot 100 Chart Hit of the 80's)

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/10/06 at 12:13 am

I'm not really into albums.   I have almost 1000 songs on my computer, and maybe two or three christmas cd's.  Even way back when I was a teen, i preferred singles.  When I couldn't find a single of the song I wanted, I would get really upset that i had to buy the whole album just for one song.   So I'd usually buy it, go home and tape the song I wanted, then re-sell the album to the used record store. :D

Yeah I've done that alot in the last few years with CD's (I usually buy from the used bargain bins) - especially if, say the song I want isn't available anywhere else.

But, sometimes album tracks are just as good as the hits, if not more. ;)

(Offhand, from the 80's -- Phil Collins' "I Don't Wanna Know". Foreigner's "Growing Up the Hard Way", Lionel Richie's "Love Will Find a Way", Bruce Springsteen's "No Surrender", Loverboy's "One sided Love Affair" and Chicago's "Prima Donna" are songs I couldn't live without, hehe.)

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/10/06 at 12:14 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: ADH13 on 01/10/06 at 12:15 am

Yeah I've done that alot in the last few years with CD's (I usually buy from the used bargain bins) - especially if, say the song I want isn't available anywhere else.

But, sometimes album tracks are just as good as the hits, if not more. ;)

(Offhand, from the 80's -- Phil Collins' "I Don't Wanna Know". Foreigner's "Growing Up the Hard Way", Lionel Richie's "Love Will Find a Way", Bruce Springsteen's "No Surrender", Loverboy's "One sided Love Affair" and Chicago's "Prima Donna" are songs I couldn't live without, hehe.)

I had some albums... like Thriller, the Metallica black album, some Erasure ones, a Peter Schilling one... but not many... You should try Streetlight Records on Bascom.... although something tells me you've been there millions of times. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/10/06 at 12:27 am

I had some albums... like Thriller, the Metallica black album, some Erasure ones, a Peter Schilling one... but not many... You should try Streetlight Records on Bascom.... although something tells me you've been there millions of times. :)

Hehe. You're right. ;) Same with Rasputin's, right down the road.

The first time I did that was some time in 1998, and I remember being amazed. This is kinda embarrasing, but prior to this, I thought (outside of flea markets and garage sales) you HAD to buy stuff new. Movies had to be $20, and tapes/CD's had to be around $10 and $18, respectively.

I bet you could imagine my (joyous) shock at the time! :D

Before this, I always used to buy from the Sam Goody at Oakridge (my after school job I had when I was 15, the guy paid me around $40 per week), so it was a relief not having to save for just one or two anymore.

P.S. The black album rules. :)

Written By: ADH13 on 01/10/06 at 12:30 am

I've never been to Rasputin's... I stopped going to those stores once I was able to download songs.  I don't think Rasputins was there yet at the time.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/10/06 at 12:42 am

^ Oh yeah, I vaguely recall reading an article from the Campbell newspaper online, from 1996 or '97 that mentioned its construction and what it would be like.

I had just moved here at the time (in April '96), so unfortunately I don't recall anything about it. I wonder what was there before (it currently is across from the north end of the Pruneyard - literally just past the Tower Records, and before the big shopping center with Longs, if you're heading north on Bascom).

Written By: ADH13 on 01/10/06 at 12:47 am

^ Oh yeah, I vaguely recall reading an article from the Campbell newspaper online, from 1996 or '97 that mentioned its construction and what it would be like.

I had just moved here at the time (in April '96), so unfortunately I don't recall anything about it. I wonder what was there before (it currently is across from the north end of the Pruneyard - literally just past the Tower Records, and before the big shopping center with Longs, if you're heading north on Bascom).

Yeah, I can't remember what was there before... which is really strange because I used to spend alot of time in that area.  I'll have to think about that...  But I do remember when Streetlight used to be further up Bascom (toward downtown)on the other side of the street in a tiny little white building that I believe is now a car stereo store... it was so cramped in there, you could barely move if there were 10 people in there.  But they only sold cassettes then... it was a long time ago.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/10/06 at 12:52 am

About 20 CDs. 70 songs or so on my comp(dial-up).

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/10/06 at 1:19 am

Yeah, I can't remember what was there before... which is really strange because I used to spend alot of time in that area.  I'll have to think about that...  But I do remember when Streetlight used to be further up Bascom (toward downtown)on the other side of the street in a tiny little white building that I believe is now a car stereo store... it was so cramped in there, you could barely move if there were 10 people in there.  But they only sold cassettes then... it was a long time ago.

Really? That's cool, I didn't know that (I once saw an old picture of the store, circa 1983, and that must've been the old place, since the formation didn't look at all familiar), but yeah, once you cross 280, Bascom is just jam packed together, almost like a downtown area. Not surprised they moved it.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/10/06 at 1:21 am

Too little. But I "own" alot of MP3s.  8)

Written By: KKay on 01/10/06 at 9:08 am

We have thousands.  It's the thing that got my husband and I together!  We have bought entire collections from people and there is one room in our home that is just LPs and 45s.
I'm going to start selling and trading in the spring-
I would really like a guest room! :)

Written By: Morton on 01/10/06 at 9:59 am

I really didn't collect albums up until about a year ago... now i've got 17... all of which i'm (eventually) gonna download onto my Mp3 player

Written By: Howard on 01/10/06 at 4:47 pm

I'm sorry.Way too much to count but I'd say about over 100 CDs.

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/10/06 at 5:00 pm

897 LPs & 72 45s - Way over 200 cds.  We just did an inventory for insurance.  CDs were hard to count cause they are all over the place.  We have a stereo in the Garage, the house and of course, 3 vehicles.  Why so many?  Mostly because my husband knew someone who worked at a record store and, because we both love music!  My favorite thing to do is to go downstairs and explore albums for some forgotten gem. :)

Written By: DJ Midas on 01/10/06 at 6:04 pm

All answers are ballpark figures

LPs - 100
45's - 50
12" singles - 2,000
Remix Service Comps on vinyl - about 50
CDs - 1,000

and I have a few hundred songs in mp3 format on my PC.

Written By: MLB on 01/11/06 at 1:40 pm

About 30 single 45's and 2- 12 inch extended plays
inherited about 30 more 70's classics and a couple old kid records= Sesame Street/ The Chipmunks Christmas 1980 some/ Strawberry Shrotcake "sings"/ Soundtrack record to The Muppet Movie.
  Cd's possibly 75
tapes-45 albums-15/20 cassette "singles"
We have 8 tracks someplace in storage but they are all 60's+ 70's and soundtrack musicfrom  starwars.

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/11/06 at 4:06 pm

The first time I did that was some time in 1998, and I remember being amazed. This is kinda embarrasing, but prior to this, I thought (outside of flea markets and garage sales) you HAD to buy stuff new. Movies had to be $20, and tapes/CD's had to be around $10 and $18, respectively.

I bet you could imagine my (joyous) shock at the time! :D

Before this, I always used to buy from the Sam Goody at Oakridge (my after school job I had when I was 15, the guy paid me around $40 per week), so it was a relief not having to save for just one or two anymore.

P.S. The black album rules. :)

Is there a Rasputins in San Jose?

I've been to the one in Hayward, but I'm never over there.
It's an awesome record shop.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/12/06 at 7:27 pm

Is there a Rasputins in San Jose?

I've been to the one in Hayward, but I'm never over there.
It's an awesome record shop.

(Little late responding to this... ;) )

Yeah, it's the best, isn't it? (Especially if you're into old/cheap stuff like I am)

Cool. I've occasionally been to the Hayward one too (right near the Bayfair Mall and almost across the street from Target). At some point or another, I think I've been (if not lived) just about everywhere in the Bay Area, LOL.

As for San Jose, the only one I know is the one I commonly go to -- it's actually in Campbell, but barely.

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/12/06 at 7:32 pm

(Little late responding to this... ;) )

Yeah, it's the best, isn't it? (Especially if you're into old/cheap stuff like I am)

Cool. I've occasionally been to the Hayward one too (right near the Bayfair Mall and almost across the street from Target). At some point or another, I think I've been (if not lived) just about everywhere in the Bay Area, LOL.

As for San Jose, the only one I know is the one I commonly go to -- it's actually in Campbell, but barely.

My grandma lives like... on the borderline of San Jose and Santa Clara, so I'm not sure what to call it..

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/12/06 at 7:54 pm

^ Santa Jose? San Clarase? ;D

Seriously though, I know what area you're referring to. Most of the time, if something is on the border of another city, I'll call it the area of the smaller town since it's easier to pinpoint.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/06 at 8:14 pm

Too many to count. Probably close to 1000 CDs, a few hundred cassettes, and probably over 1000 LPs (that is mine and Carlos' LPs combined). I only have a handful of 45s (I think less than 10).

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...