inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are you superstitious

Written By: Gis on 01/10/06 at 6:19 am

Seeing as friday is the 13th and all.I was wondering how superstitious people are.

I will own up to knocking on wood, throwing salt over my shoulder,not walking under ladders, not putting new shoes on the table, putting a penny in any new bag or purse that I give as a gift and waving at magpies !
How about you ?

Subject: Re: Are you superstitious

Written By: jackas on 01/10/06 at 8:34 am

Not putting new shoes on the table......is this supposed to be bad luck? 

I knock on wood.  Also, if I'm holding hands and walking with someone, I try to walk around anything that will come between us.

Written By: KKay on 01/10/06 at 9:11 am

I don't really follow any rules for myself, not afraid of superstition..
but I know that if you want something and you talk about  it, you can jinx it.
so I keep my mouth shut in those situations..

Written By: gemini on 01/10/06 at 9:18 am

I knock on wood all the time. Just did it yesterday, can't remember why though  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/06 at 9:33 am

No, touch wood!

Written By: Morton on 01/10/06 at 9:50 am

I'm not superstitious. I've walked under thousands of ladders, let countless black cats walk my path and even *gasps* broken a mirror or too, and i'm fine.

Don't believe in 'em... you make your own luck

Written By: Gis on 01/10/06 at 10:37 am

Not putting new shoes on the table......is this supposed to be bad luck? 

Apparently so ! but I'm sure it doesn't count if you don't know about it !! Just the other week I was out with some guys from work for lunch and I needed to stir my drink. The only thing on the table was a knife, I now know it is meant to be very bad luck to stir a drink with a knife as you are stirring up trouble for yourself............ oh well. :-\\

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/10/06 at 10:40 am

I knock on (touch) wood, and I don't walk under ladders...so I guess I'm a little superstitious  :D

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/10/06 at 11:08 am

The only superstition I have is not putting a hat on the bed(Bad luck lol). But I don't REALLY believe it, its just something I picked up from my dad who got it from his dad(who probably just thought it was funny as he was a very un-superstitious person also).

Written By: karen on 01/10/06 at 11:11 am

My grandma was very superstitious and my mum follows some of them still.  I know a lot of them but generally ignore them except touching wood.

Seeing as friday is the 13th and all.

My brother's birthday!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/10/06 at 11:31 am

I "knock on wood".  Sometimes when we play poker and having a losing streak, we will get up and walk around our chair three times (and then you are supposed to "kick" the bad luck out the door). Can't say if it works or not, but it can't hurt. There are many others assocated with Wicca/Feng Shui, etc. Some I do, some I don't.

Cat

Written By: ADH13 on 01/10/06 at 12:29 pm

I knock on wood, I think that's about it...

13 is actually my lucky number.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/06 at 4:38 pm

I don't believe in superstition. :P

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/10/06 at 5:19 pm

I'm not conventionally superstitious but I have a wierd thing:  If I can fully visualize how something will either look or picture myself doing it, it won't happen.  For example, if I applied for, and really wanted a new job, but could picture myself doing it, I know I won't get the job.  If I can't, then I know I will.  Wierd heh? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/10/06 at 5:24 pm

I don

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/10/06 at 8:55 pm

I really don't believe in it...but I do knock on wood occasionally.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/10/06 at 9:00 pm

I'm very superstitious; therefore, I will be very nervous on Friday!

Written By: loki 13 on 01/10/06 at 9:04 pm

I was born on Friday the 13th,so no I am not superstitious.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/11/06 at 1:40 am

I'm not superstitious about sidewalk cracks, ladders, broken mirrors, black cats, friday 13th, etc.  However, when I play softball I do wear this one particular shirt underneath my jersey because I wore it when I did well in a home run derby last year and I video'd the derby and I thought it looked cool. So in my mind, because I did well while wearing the shirt, it must be the shirt! Based on that thinking, shouldn't I pretty much wear it all the time. That is pretty lame!!!  :-grass and that's young to be gettin a tattoo, so that number doesn't bother me.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/06 at 12:15 pm

I do have a black cat sitting on my lap right now. I probably shouldn't play any games in the arcarde at the moment-not because he will give me bad luck but because he will knock my hand as I am trying to use the mouse.

Cat

Written By: Climber on 01/11/06 at 12:23 pm

I knock on "wood" a lot.  And, if there is no wood handy, I use my head ;) :D.
I also worry about breaking mirrors, think about it when there is a ladder in my path, or see a black cat, and try not to open umbrellas inside unless I absolutely have to.  Such as right inside the door before I go out, or leave it open to dry in the entry way.

Written By: Howard on 01/11/06 at 4:01 pm

I see black cats all the time but I'm not superstitious. ;D

Written By: Gis on 01/12/06 at 11:40 am

As to black cats being lucky or not reminds me of a time when I lived at home and we had a black cat Benjie.I had heard about this guy who wrote out the lottery numbers on a huge piece of paper and his dog put it's paw on 6 different numbers and they came up and he won.So I decided to try it with the cat.Well first she refused to go near the paper then just ran right across it in different directions finally she lay down in the middle and went to sleep ! I gave up and went to bed.The next morning my Dad said as soon as I was gone the cat stood up and moved around the paper putting her front paw on different numbers, which he of course didn't bother to write down !!
I'm convinced she was just toying with me for her own amusment.

Check for new replies or respond here...