inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your life goals/dreams?

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/11/06 at 10:00 pm

Is there some place you would really like to visit before you die? Is there something in particular you'd like to accomplish? Is there somewhere you'd like to live one day or retire to?

This is the thread to talk about such things.

I would like to visit the countries of Spain, Thailand, and the United Kingdom before I die. Spain because I just thinks its such an interesting place with interesting cuisine, dance, music, and especially history. Just think about all of the civilizations to make there mark there.Greeks, Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Gauls, Visigoths, Romans, and Moors. I'd like to visit Thailand because I have always heard about how beautiful their beaches are, and I think its really interesting as far as food(hey, im an aspiring chef lol), and my uncle who has influenced me so much lived there for two years and I know that is a large part of who he is so I would like to see it because of that too. And the United Kingdom because I've always held an affinity for Brit culture, and I've always gotten on with them well so I'd kinda like to actually visit their country. Plus it would be neat to go to a totally different country yet they speak the same language(no offense to Canada, but it doesn't seem like they have as seperate an identity from us as the rest of the Commonwealth countries).

I've been fascinated by mountains since I was a little kid. And I have always liked walking in the woods. My dad used to take me to the state park on Saturdays and we'd walk all day and I remember how fun it was. Someday when I am in good enough shape, and more established in the world so I am able to afford it and take the time off, I would love to hike the Southern half of the Appalachian trail. In a few years if I do well enough financially, I even have a dream of building a house up there(although not somewhere remote, it'd have to be very close to a fairly good sized city, but I'd have access to the mountainside).

I dream of opening a resturaunt one day..and then selling it if its succesful enough, lol.

Also I hope this doesn't sound too odd but I also hope one day to find a nice woman to love and take care of and to be best friends with. Someone on here awhile back told(cant remember who) said an older woman would tend to suit me and I think they are right. Was that you, Andrea?

What about all of you?

Subject: Re: Your life goals/dreams?

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 12:00 am

Oh I also would like to learn to play music in the bluegrass style, on the banjo. I like it very much.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/12/06 at 12:04 am

I want to become a professional photographer. I'd really love to be a writer, but that's just a far-fetched dream. I want to move to the city and live in a small apartment above a store or something. I want to be the type of person you find sitting in the park, typing stories on a laptop. Someone who carries a camera with her everywhere, so she never misses a photo opportunity.

I'll think of more later, I'm a bit tired at the moment.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/12/06 at 12:05 am

I'm also probably going to Paris with my friend this Summer. That's always been one of my dreams. For as long as I can remember, actually. I'm just scared to death of planes.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 12:19 am

I want to become a professional photographer. I'd really love to be a writer, but that's just a far-fetched dream. I want to move to the city and live in a small apartment above a store or something. I want to be the type of person you find sitting in the park, typing stories on a laptop. Someone who carries a camera with her everywhere, so she never misses a photo opportunity.

I'll think of more later, I'm a bit tired at the moment.

Writing isn't far-fetched for you, Beth. You're a great writer. I consider myself a good writer and would like to be published one day myself(there is another thing), and I don't think I'm as good as you are. Have confidence.  :)

I'm also probably going to Paris with my friend this Summer. That's always been one of my dreams. For as long as I can remember, actually. I'm just scared to death of planes.

Oooh, sounds awesome. If you go, please try to avoid the Algerian slums though it can be rather dangerous. Or if you do go through there dress very, very modestly.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/12/06 at 12:24 am

Writing isn't far-fetched for you, Beth. You're a great writer. I consider myself a good writer and would like to be published one day myself(there is another thing), and I don't think I'm as good as you are. Have confidence.  :)

Thanks, Alex. That means a lot. I've never read your writing, but good luck with everything.

Oooh, sounds awesome. If you go, please try to avoid the Algerian slums though it can be rather dangerous. Or if you do go through there dress very, very modestly.

..W-what d-do you mean... :o

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 12:31 am

Thanks, Alex. That means a lot. I've never read your writing, but good luck with everything.

..W-what d-do you mean... :o

Thank for your wishes. :)

About the second part..well, heres the thing. France is about 10% Muslim now(mainly Algerian), and while the majority of them respect Western values, in the slums especially(surrounding cities like France and Marseille), there are those who do not. I have heard only too many stories of Western girls being raped there, and various other acts of violence against Westerners. Maybe its all overblown, I don't know, but the impression from France the last few years seems to be that its getting more and more dangerous.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/12/06 at 12:33 am

I just hope that I have made the right choices, and will continue to make the right choices so that I will be able to live comfortably when I'm old, without having to be a burden on my family, or on taxpayers.  I'd be satisfied just with that.

Although I'd really love to own a big, old, victorian house someday.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/12/06 at 12:36 am

My life/goals:

To always keep friendship and contact with my family  :)
To Become famous via music
To Have a full-blown Alien abduction experience (of a good sort)
To roam the Earth
To leave a positive mark on the world when I die  :)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/12/06 at 12:37 am

I want to, one night, go to a cemetery with someone.. and talk all night long.

Yep, haven't done it yet. I'm sure I mentioned my wanting to somewhere on this forum, though.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/12/06 at 1:02 am

Yep, haven't done it yet. I'm sure I mentioned my wanting to somewhere on this forum, though.

I sometimes laugh about people who think cemeteries are creepy or scary... when I was a kid in NY, we didn't have a park in our neighborhood.  But we had a big cemetery across the street, so that became our park.  We used to play freeze tag, hide and seek, etc. all the time in the cemetery.  Even though we knew what a cemetery was, it never really registered as a place to be afraid of.  Maybe that was because we were so young when we started playing in there.  When I go to a cemetery now, I kind of feel guilty, because instead of thinking about the person whose grave I am there to visit, I usually find myself thinking about being a kid, and all my little cemetery friends. :-[

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/12/06 at 1:08 am

I sometimes laugh about people who think cemeteries are creepy or scary... when I was a kid in NY, we didn't have a park in our neighborhood.  But we had a big cemetery across the street, so that became our park.  We used to play freeze tag, hide and seek, etc. all the time in the cemetery.  Even though we knew what a cemetery was, it never really registered as a place to be afraid of.   Maybe that was because we were so young when we started playing in there.   When I go to a cemetery now, I kind of feel guilty, because instead of thinking about the person whose grave I am there to visit, I usually find myself thinking about being a kid, and all my little cemetery friends. :-[

My mom thinks I'm really creepy for liking cemeteries.

Aww, that's awesome, though. I wish I had a cemetery to play in when I was younger.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 1:10 am

Aww, that's awesome, though. I wish I had a cemetery to play in when I was younger.

I think a cemetery would be an awesome place to have a picnic.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/12/06 at 1:28 am

Just be careful if you ever do go... they have automatic sprinklers. :-\\

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/12/06 at 1:30 am

Just be careful if you ever do go... they have automatic sprinklers. :-\\

That would just add to the fun..!!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/12/06 at 2:37 am

They can be quite beautiful, but are creepy if you are going at night. I have a picture of a cemetary on my desk at work. It looks more like a park that is well landscaped and taken care of. The pic I have is of a gigantic sycamore tree and you can see the headstones and gravestones all around. It's where I had my mother buried. One goal of mine is to take pics of that tree during the 4 different seasons and frame them and give to my brothers and sisters as a memorial. I go once or twice a year to take flowers and I like to look at the dates on the headstones and find the oldest ones, usually mid to late 1800's. Another goal would be to backpack in Yosemite and climp Half Dome and trek through Tuolumne Meadows like me and my friend did back in the 70's. I'd like to do that again.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/12/06 at 9:45 am

To finally finish school
To take great pictures and get paid for it
To lose some weight to get back into my "skinny" clothes
To have maybe 1 more child (MAYBE)
To help Chris achieve his dream of being in sports management
To re-do lots of stuff in our current house so that one day we can sell it and move into our dream house
To finally get out of debt and pay off some major bills
To travel across the country via RV during a complete summer, and take pictures of roadside attractions, defunct/abandoned places and eventually write a book about it.
To be comfortable even up until old age (financially, physically, mentally, etc.)

Written By: Morton on 01/12/06 at 9:48 am

To get into university
To pass university and become a journalist
To finally get my own place
To find a beautiful woman, settle down and have kids (eventually)
To die in my sleep

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/06 at 11:06 am

My mom is the one with a thing for cemeteries. She does geneology so she goes to many cemeteries to do research. It is kind of a joke in my family about my mother and cemeteries.

Cat

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 8:15 pm

Lets hear some more.  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/12/06 at 9:10 pm

I think a cemetery would be an awesome place to have a picnic.

I have always liked those real shady cemetaries with the iron wrought fences that creekk when they open and have the gothic spears at the top. Old Oaks and Cypress trees line the walk ways.

My boyfriend and I went to Columbia (CA) which is in Gold Country and they had a real neat cemetary. We sat and ate in it and also gathered a seedling from a tree there and he planted it in his front yard. I think it survived for a year or longer.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 9:11 pm

I have always liked those real shady cemetaries with the iron wrought fences that creekk when they open and have the gothic spears at the top. Old Oaks and Cypress trees line the walk ways.

My boyfriend and I went to Columbia (CA) which is in Gold Country and they had a real neat cemetary. We sat and ate in it and also gathered a seedling from a tree there and he planted it in his front yard. I think it survived for a year or longer.

Oh that sounds nice. What is a seedling though?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/12/06 at 9:14 pm

Goals and life aspirations seem to always be a changing thing with me, but I still have a few constant goals I've hung onto the last few years:

- To eventually own a modest house before I turn 30 ( 6 1/2 years left, lol)
- To be happy in love with someone (I think I've just about got that right now)
- To sell my artwork (it's been done, but school and work have really slowed my productivity)
- To take care of my mom and have her situated so she won't have to work anymore.
- To play the piano better and possibly the violin.
- And to maybe have children.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/12/06 at 9:16 pm

Oh that sounds nice. What is a seedling though?

It's kinda like a little part of the tree that either grows out of the trunk or very near it. Sequoias/redwoods do that a lot. They have these green sprouts all over them because they tend to do well with minimal light and water.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 9:18 pm

Goals and life aspirations seem to always be a changing thing with me, but I still have a few constant goals I've hung onto the last few years:

- To eventually own a modest house before I turn 30 ( 6 1/2 years left, lol)
- To be happy in love with someone (I think I've just about got that right now)
- To sell my artwork (it's been done, but school and work have really slowed my productivity)
- To take care of my mom and have her situated so she won't have to work anymore.
- To play the piano better and possibly the violin.
- And to maybe have children.

Good luck with all of that. :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/12/06 at 9:22 pm

Oh I also would like to learn to play music in the bluegrass style, on the banjo. I like it very much.

I wish the best with your goals, too. Learning and becoming those things and going to all those places will all be enriching to your life. And don't forget the other smaller things you do along the way to get you there.. like they say, it's getting there that's the most fun.. :0)

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/12/06 at 10:24 pm

get at least one job as engineering an album  ::)

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 10:27 pm

get at least one job as engineering an album  ::)

Ahh, do we have an aspiring Alan Parsons? (who engineered The Dark Side Of The Moon among others)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/12/06 at 10:31 pm

One of my goals is to actually be satisfied with myself. Embrace my many flaws.

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/12/06 at 10:34 pm

Ahh, do we have an aspiring Alan Parsons? (who engineered The Dark Side Of The Moon among others)

Si, if only bands such as Pink Floyd were still around

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/12/06 at 10:34 pm

One of my goals is to actually be satisfied with myself. Embrace my many flaws.

why aren't you satisfied with yourself?

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/12/06 at 10:35 pm

Ugh. I've never been. But that's a whole different story.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 10:37 pm

Seriously.

You're a great writer, you have a good taste in music, you seem to be a very good photographer as well, you could develop you sense of humor a little more but besides that.. :P j/k

Yeah I can relate to that most definitely. I'm getting better but I still have ground to cover.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/12/06 at 10:39 pm

Seriously.

You're a great writer, you have a good taste in music, you seem to be a very good photographer as well, you could develop you sense of humor a little more but besides that.. :P j/k

Ah, behind every joke, is a bit of the truth, yes?

Yeah I can relate to that most definitely. I'm getting better but I still have ground to cover.

Ditto.

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/12/06 at 10:47 pm

You crazy.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/12/06 at 10:48 pm

You crazy.

Your MOM'S crazy

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/12/06 at 10:49 pm

Your MOM'S crazy

you may be right...

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/12/06 at 10:50 pm

you may be right...

Your MOM may be right..! >:-{

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/12/06 at 10:51 pm

Your MOM may be right..! >:-{

maybe! >:-O

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/12/06 at 10:53 pm

maybe! >:-O

Aw, I ran out of things to say with the attachment "Your MOM" *cries, sips coffee, tightens scarf*

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 10:57 pm

Ah, behind every joke, is a bit of the truth, yes?

Yeah but the same goes for me. I could improve there myself.

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/12/06 at 10:57 pm

Aw, I ran out of things to say with the attachment "Your MOM" *cries, sips coffee, tightens scarf*

Your Mom makes better Your Mom attachments!

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/12/06 at 10:57 pm

Seriously.

aw, you're one of the funniest people I know!

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 10:59 pm

Yeah like the rest of the people on this board and two hobos are competition.. ::)

;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/12/06 at 11:01 pm

Yeah like the rest of the people on this board and two hobos are competition.. ::)

;)

oops, that was more directed to Beth...  :P

But yeah, you aren't exactly boring!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/12/06 at 11:11 pm

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/A_VictimOfYou/untitled00.jpg

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/12/06 at 11:17 pm

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/A_VictimOfYou/untitled00.jpg

]
SEE? SE??!! You just made me laugh!

Written By: C.NOIZE on 01/12/06 at 11:40 pm

You crazy.

Your MOM'S crazy

you may be right...

W00T!! Billy Joel!!

You may be right, I may be crazy
But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for
Turn out the light, don't try to save me
You may be wrong for all I know, but you may be right

http://www.kandi-o.com/486_Billy_Joel.jpg

Not quite Huey Lewis...but close!  :D

Anyway... ::)

My Life Goals:

Become an awesome trumpeter
Become a Cadet
Get out of school (I'm a sophomore with a serious case of senioritis)
Become more social
Do something important enough to be on the Tonight Show (or anything similar...just not Letterman! *shudders* )
Umm...

Guess that's all for now
Except for these
S
U
P
E
R
F
L
U
O
U
S

B
U
L
L
E
T
S
:D

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/12/06 at 11:44 pm

Your MOM'S crazy

you may be right...

W00T!! Billy Joel!!

You may be right, I may be crazy
But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for
Turn out the light, don't try to save me
You may be wrong for all I know, but you may be right

I have that song!

Written By: Howard on 01/17/06 at 2:03 pm

To have a part time job and then for my work goal in October 2006 is to try my hands as a stock clerk as a full time position.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/03/06 at 1:42 pm

^ Bump

I hope to have completed my Medical Billing program by the end of the year.  :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/03/06 at 2:24 pm

I eventually want to save up enough money to move to New York and get in one of the ad agencies there.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/03/06 at 3:13 pm

I eventually want to save up enough money to move to New York and get in one of the ad agencies there.

That would be a lot of fun to check out New York...and work in it  :) My brother just got a job in the big city (San Francisco) - sounds so cool! 

Written By: La Roche on 07/03/06 at 3:35 pm

I have a lot, so let's do one of those fun lists shall we:

1) I think when it comes to what I want to do for a career, I should involve myself in the MLS. I'm an enormous football/soccer fan and have the opportunity to get involved with a great organization that's just starting to expand exponentially.

2) I'd like to have a family of my own one day. Maybe not kids, that's not my decision to make (I'm not exactly the one having them) but a comfortable, stable situation. The kind of thing you want to get home to when the clock strikes 5.

3) I'd like to record an album. This is a serious goal of mine and one day I'd love to do it.
I have so many ideas and would love to get them out there.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/03/06 at 5:14 pm

ANd last but not least, I want to die and become a ghost so I can haunt the world forever!

...I want that, too!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/03/06 at 5:17 pm

He is right, Beth. As I said to Jessi once, your Xanga proves just how great of a writer you are. And you are a really good writer, believe me... Very few other people could have made me take the time to read every last page...

Thanks, Denver. I'm my worst critic, I guess that's my problem.. nothing I write is up to par for me.

Written By: deadrockstar on 07/03/06 at 7:35 pm

"I wanna drink beer, and stay up aaalll night!"
-Homer Simpson

;D Meh.  I just felt like posting this.

Written By: jackas on 07/03/06 at 10:05 pm

I did this one time.  Ended up with mosquito bites all over my arms, about 10 on my right elbow.  Of course you would get them on your left elbow. :P

None on my ass that time, thank you very much!

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/03/06 at 10:29 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Howard on 07/05/06 at 8:52 pm

To try to get a full time job
To possibly marry Robin someday.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/06/06 at 11:19 am

To try to get a full time job
To possibly marry Robin someday.

What about the white picket fences, and the 2.1 children, and the station wagon? Don't forget the holiday house in Florida and the Winnebago!  ;)

Written By: Howard on 07/06/06 at 7:09 pm

What about the white picket fences, and the 2.1 children, and the station wagon? Don't forget the holiday house in Florida and the Winnebago!  ;)

Robin doesn't want any of those cause we don't make enough money!

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/06/06 at 8:30 pm

Robin doesn't want any of those cause we don't make enough money!

Without children and a double-income, it shouldn't be too hard to get them eventually...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/06/06 at 9:32 pm

Become a famous musician and author
Move overseas
Get married, maybe have two kids
Become rich
Have a positive impact on the world

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/06/06 at 11:53 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Howard on 07/07/06 at 3:27 pm

Without children and a double-income, it shouldn't be too hard to get them eventually...

She works a 40 hour shift at $10.00 an hour and I work 6 Hours a day at $7.50 an hour.

Check for new replies or respond here...