inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Depositing Checks Question

Written By: thenewwavechick on 01/13/06 at 12:40 am

Right now, since I'm having financial issues I'm sharing a joint checking acount with my Mom, but the bank she deals with isn't around my area, so I have to send the checks to her to deposit.  Well, I forgot what you put on the back of the check (besides the indorsement) to depsoit the check into the account.  Is it "order of deposit"?  I was going to send out the check to her tomorrow (this is my SSD check which I'm going to be getting direct deposited into the account soon, in the process of getting that taken care of).  Does anyone know?

Subject: Re: Depositing Checks Question

Written By: ADH13 on 01/13/06 at 12:53 am

Your name, the account number, and "For Deposit Only"

Written By: thenewwavechick on 01/13/06 at 8:06 am

That's what I thought.  Thanks Odyssey.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/06 at 10:54 am

Technically you don't have to put anything other than your signature on it, but if you put "For Deposit Only" and the account number you're depositing it into, then it can ONLY be deposited into that account. 

You got that right, crazymom.

If you just endirse the check, somebody could steal it out of the mail, then sign below your name and they are off to the races.

When you endorse the check and add "For Deposit Only" that means just that.

Added tip: I ALWAYS write the "for deposit only" lingo immediately after the endorsement, so that nobody can squeeze their signature in between.  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...