inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Brush With Stardom!

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/19/06 at 9:30 am

Everyone has a had at least one brush with stardom.  Mine goes like this.....

Once, many years ago, I was working partime at a "Marital Aid" store.  You know, novelties & adult toys and the like.  Anyway, one night, this guy came in that looked REALLY familiar, while he meandered about the store, I realized who he was!  He was on of the stars of a little sitcom WKRP In Cinncinatti!  The one with the hair!  He left without buying anything, and went I went over to see what an item was that he spent so much time looking at, I couldn't help but notice he had stolen the valve off of a Penis Enlargement Pump.  They wear out, and are very expensive to replace.

True Story!

Subject: Re: Brush With Stardom!

Written By: KKay on 01/19/06 at 10:48 am

I have many of these stories...I"ll share when I have more time.
But you can see one at the "Jesus Christ Superstar" thread.
or at the bottom of my post you'll see the very short version of the story.
more later.
:)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/19/06 at 11:25 am

We were in Cleveland years ago to cheer my dad on in the Cleveland Marathon. We were checking into our hotel room and realized that they were having a bodybuilders/weightlifters convention. We were carrying our bags in and my mom looks at this guy and goes, "That looks like Lou Ferrigno"...(ya know, the guy who played the Incredible Hulk on the tv show)....so we walk up to him and my mom goes, "Excuse me...but are you Lou Ferrigno?"...and he goes, "Why yes..I am". He was really friendly...and he signed his autograph on a postcard that we had with us.

Written By: Tia on 01/19/06 at 11:54 am

i think everyone missed the part about the penis enlargement pump. omg!

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/19/06 at 11:56 am

Ten years ago I used to work as a taxi driver back in Lincoln. One afternoon, I had a call at a doctor's office and I picked up this kid who looked to be about 20 and had this weird punk haircut, and he wanted me to take him to the local concert hall. "You going to the show tonight?" he asked me. "The Megadeth show?" I replied? "Nah, I have to work tonight." "I can get you a free pass--I'm in one of the opening bands." Turns out this kid was the guitar player for a band called Coal Chamber, which had some minor success back then, and he took down my name and told me to pick up my pass at the front entrance, so I called my boss and he let me take off early from work and sure enough I got in for free. Very nice kid.
    Not too long before or after that I hauled a band called Clutch (which also had some modest success back in the mid 90's) from their hotel to a different concert venue, and they opened up for Prong, and they were also very nice and gave me a free pass to their show. (Neither time did I ask, they just offered it to me.)
  It wasn't the best job in the world, but it did have its perks from time to time.

Written By: Tia on 01/19/06 at 12:06 pm

i've heard of clutch. and i was just listening to prong last night.

Written By: KKay on 01/19/06 at 12:12 pm

My dad was in a terrible accident that left him disabled for life; however, he can walk with a cane- all the parts in his legs are artificial.
In the 70s he used a walker and crutches and it took him hours to get around.

He was in a bar in Ft. Lauderdale.
He went to leave and someone had taken his crutches!  The bartender told him to look over at the elevator.
Getting in and waving goodbye was Evel Knievel.
He left his card with the man at the bar and my dad got in touch. Evel helped my dad learn to walk again- who better for the job!
He also got us tickets for Tony Orlando and Dawn.
My dad took me to see Evel's yacht- we talked on ly briefly. I was a kid and in awe.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/19/06 at 12:16 pm

Um. The lady from the Shop -n- Save commercials..! Yeah.. that...wouldn't count as anything.

Written By: KKay on 01/19/06 at 12:19 pm

Um. The lady from the Shop -n- Save commercials..! Yeah.. that...wouldn't count as anything.

I met a guy from a local tv commercial- The Kamikaze Plumber!

Written By: ADH13 on 01/19/06 at 12:21 pm

I met a guy from a local tv commercial- The Kamikaze Plumber!

For some reason I thought you were gonna say Ricky Schroeder, being that he's from SI.  Randy (Macho Man) Savage is too.

I remember Ricky Schroeder being at the SI Mall once... but he was already pretty big by then and there were big crowds of people trying to get his autograph, so I just went on with my shopping.  I don't think I even saw him.

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/19/06 at 12:40 pm

I fikken know!  I couldn't believe it!  When I told my boss she was the one that told me how expensive they are.  Those pumps were a big seller!

Written By: Tia on 01/19/06 at 12:42 pm

I fikken know!  I couldn't believe it!  When I told my boss she was the one that told me how expensive they are.  Those pumps were a big seller!

i'd be amazed if they actually work. anyway, isn't it how you ride the ocean?

never mind. forget i brought it up.

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/19/06 at 12:46 pm

i'd be amazed if they actually work. anyway, isn't it how you ride the ocean?

never mind. forget i brought it up.

;D Too late, you did bring it up and, that's the sexiest way I've ever heard anyone say it!  Unfortunately, my friends and I long ago decided, based on certain people's experience, that if a guy says it, it's because he is a would be "pump shopper" ;)

Written By: whistledog on 01/19/06 at 12:58 pm

Just a few names  ...

... Retired NHL great Kirk Muller used to live on my street around the 1989 off-season.  My brother and I played road hockey with him one day, and he was cross checking us like it was the NHL  :o

... In the off-season, NHL sub-goalie Norm Maracle lives across, next door, and around the corner from pretty much all of my relatives on my mother's side.  He's also related to me in someway .. like a 3rd cousin or something.  I've only met him once though

... A few years ago, my friend and I were leaving Staples, at the same time as Peter Milliken (Canadian Speaker of the House of Commons) was coming in.  He nodded at us in a friendly manner, but as I was leaving the store, I tripped on the carpet, and accidentally bumped into him.  The Tim Hortons coffee cup he was holding fell from his hand, and the hot coffee spilled all over what looked to be a very expensivve suit that he was wearing  :-[

... I saw NHL star Doug Gilmour once.  He was standing inside the local fitness club I used to frequent.  But by the time I noticed him there, he was just leaving  :\'(

... Former NHL player Scott Pearson (who at one time or another, was with the Maple Leafs, Nordiques, Oilers, Sabres and Islanders) used to live across the street from me.  At the time, he was playing for the local OHL team here, when he'd just been drafted by the NHL in 1988.  One night, he was outside sitting on the roof of his house with lots of girls.  He was throwing a party and making all kinds of noise.  The cops came and everything. It was cool  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/19/06 at 1:40 pm

I don't have a lot, but this may have been discussed in previous threads, so I'll go down the list- Most recent to oldest encounters

2005 - That very feminine talking guy from Extreme Home Makeover - about 1 foot away
2005 - Arnold Schwarzenegger - about 2 feet away
2003 - Al Stewart - physically bumped into him by accident
2002 - Arnold Schwarzenegger - about 2 feet away
1997 - NBA game, about a few feet away from some famous Basketball players.
1992 - Stood in line to get an autograph of A's pitcher Rick Honeycutt. He signed my Oakland A's troll :0)
1989 - Saw Kirk Cameron and Candace Cameron eating at our Carl's Jr. (fast food) Got their autographs, but lost them somehow!
1988 - Got an autograph of a San Francisco 49er player, but don't know where that is either.

I thought Rick Honeycutt was pretty cute then!
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/rick_honeycutt_autograph.jpg

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/19/06 at 1:45 pm

I 1988, I was formally charged with aggravated assault.  The alleged victim was Dale Kushner of the Philadelphia Flyers.  Needless to say, the charges were dropped, there was a melee, of which my role was a very small one, however who actually assaulted Dale was never proven.

Written By: KKay on 01/19/06 at 1:48 pm

For some reason I thought you were gonna say Ricky Schroeder, being that he's from SI.  Randy (Macho Man) Savage is too.

I remember Ricky Schroeder being at the SI Mall once... but he was already pretty big by then and there were big crowds of people trying to get his autograph, so I just went on with my shopping.  I don't think I even saw him.

Hey...are you a fellow Staten Islander!?

Written By: ADH13 on 01/19/06 at 1:50 pm

Hey...are you a fellow Staten Islander!?

Used to be... remember I talked to you about that before?  I used to live near Richmond & Forest Ave.

Written By: KKay on 01/19/06 at 1:51 pm

Used to be... remember I talked to you about that before?  I used to live near Richmond & Forest Ave.

sorry...I associate people with avatar pictures.
of course, I remember.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/19/06 at 1:53 pm

sorry...I associate people with avatar pictures.
of course, I remember.

hahaha yeah it's confusing for awhile...  :)

Written By: lorac614 on 01/19/06 at 2:00 pm

OMG, I grew up on SI, and I too saw Ricky Schroeder in the mall!!  LOL!!  

It was right after the movie "The Champ" came out, and we were eating pizza, and there he was eating pizza too.

My dad makes wigs for T.V., movies and Broadway.  Once when I was a little baby my mom took us to see my dad at work, and one point one of my dad's clients started holding me and my mom whispered to my dad "Who's that holding the baby?" and my dad siad "That's Faye Dunaway" and my mom had no idea who she was.  LOL!!

Also another time at my dad's work, there was old, short guy in a long fur coat.  On his arm was a beautiful young woman.  Don't know the guy's name but he used to be in TV commercials, the one I remember well was for Hubba Bubba bubble gum and he was playing a cowboy (Looked more like a drunk, LOL!!)and his only line was to yell "Hubba Bubba!!", LOL!!

Saw Joey Ramone once while shopping in a store in The Village.  

Back in the early 80's my cousin dated a guy named Matt McCoy, he came to our house for Thanksgiving dinner.  I knew him from a show called "Hot Hero Sandwich" but he went on to do movies.  Every time I see him in something I turn to my husband and say "He ate dinner at my house".  LOL!!

Written By: YWN on 01/19/06 at 2:03 pm

Two weathermen, and Kent freakin' Hovind.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/19/06 at 2:05 pm

OMG, I grew up on SI, and I too saw Ricky Schroeder in the mall!!  LOL!!  

It was right after the movie "The Champ" came out, and we were eating pizza, and there he was eating pizza too.

My dad makes wigs for T.V., movies and Broadway.  Once when I was a little baby my mom took us to see my dad at work, and one point one of my dad's clients started holding me and my mom whispered to my dad "Who's that holding the baby?" and my dad siad "That's Faye Dunaway" and my mom had no idea who she was.  LOL!!

Also another time at my dad's work, there was old, short guy in a long fur coat.  On his arm was a beautiful young woman.  Don't know the guy's name but he used to be in TV commercials, the one I remember well was for Hubba Bubba bubble gum and he was playing a cowboy (Looked more like a drunk, LOL!!)and his only line was to yell "Hubba Bubba!!", LOL!!

Back in the early 80's my cousin dated a guy named Matt McCoy, he came to our house for Thanksgiving dinner.  I knew him from a show called "Hot Hero Sandwich" but he went on to do movies.  Every time I see him in something I turn to my husband and say "He ate dinner at my house".  LOL!!

What part of SI are you from? :)

Written By: lorac614 on 01/19/06 at 2:06 pm

What part of SI are you from? :)

Bulls Head, Merrill Ave.  Moore Catholic HS and PS 60 are on the street.  But, I haven't lived there for about 16 years. 

Written By: ADH13 on 01/19/06 at 2:14 pm

Bulls Head, Merrill Ave.  Moore Catholic HS and PS 60 are on the street.  But, I haven't lived there for about 16 years. 

It's been awhile for me too... I moved to CA in 1984.

Written By: Howard on 01/19/06 at 2:16 pm

What about a penis pump? ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/19/06 at 2:19 pm

I didn't miss it. I'm still laughing.

When I was a kid, my mother worked in theatre so I met a lot of celebrities:

Bette Grable (wasn't impressed)
Pat O'Brian (who was such a delight as well as his wife and daughter-I feel honored to have met him before he passed away  :\'( )
William Shatner (wasn't impressed)
James Witmore
Abe Vagoda
Joan Fontaine
Dennis Cole (wasn't impressed)
Jackie Vernon (who was actually my mother's boss)
Jack Gilford (which is rumored that my mother dated him)
John Gavin
Davey Jones (who was supposed to come to our house for a cast party but didn't make it.  :\'( But for a while I felt like Marsha Brady)
Mary Jo Catlett (who did come to our house for the same cast party)

As a teen, I did summer stock and worked with Jim Handy (who is in the movie K9, Taps, Burgler, and many others)-even sat on his lap one time.  ;) But that is a long story. I also worked with Allen Fitzpatrick which I have only seen him in the movie Her Alibi and had a very tiny part as one of the agents who arrest the dude at the end. And Billie McBride who was the principal in the remake of the Shinning. I still keep in touch with Billie. A fabulous lady.

I did meet John Denver when I was at the Air & Space Museum in Wash. D.C. and shook his hand-but that was it.

I saw the cast from Happy Days/Laverne & Shirley play baseball at Shea Stadium (but I don't think that counts).  ;D

Ron Howard lived one town over from me but I never saw him.  :-\\

I have met some political figures, too. Our congressperson, Bernie Sanders-who knows my husband. Hubby also met our Senator Pat Leahy. I never met him but he did walk past me one day at work when I used to work. We met Howard Dean, and we just met our governor last month. When I lived in Texas, I served jury duty and (now) Sen. John Cronyn was the judge in the case.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/19/06 at 2:22 pm

Nobody especially thrilling

Met the cowboy dude from Owensboro, Kentucky who was on Real World, his name is Jon Brennan
http://goldiesopryhouse.com/images/jon_brennan.jpg

Met singer, B. E. Taylor, who had minor national success in the 80's with Vitamin L and Karen.  He's more of a local celebrity where I used to live.  I used to run a fan website for him, and met him several times, once he even called me by name (without me prompting him) *swoon*  ;D
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2003-12-17/1218taylor1-b.jpg

Met Marina Sirtis and Michael Dorn (from Star Trek next generation) and George Takei ....  Lt. Hikaru Sulu
Nichelle Nichols ....  Lt. Uhura
Walter Koenig ....  Ensign Pavel Chekov (1967-1969) from the original Star Trek

Yeah I'm a geek.  ;D

I almost married Michael Keaton's cousin (I met his mother)

Written By: ADH13 on 01/19/06 at 2:29 pm

Written By: lorac614 on 01/19/06 at 2:57 pm

Did you go to High School before you moved?  If so, where did you go?  I went to Notre Dame, graduated in 1987. 

My family still lives there, and I get to visit about 2 times a year.  Do you get to go back?  I can not believe how it's grown, and housing prices, my goodness.  My parents neighbor just sold a house (that they bought for about $35,000 in 1969) they got close to $600,000 for it. Un-real.  But you live in Ca., so you're probably used to the high price for real-estate. 

Written By: KKay on 01/19/06 at 2:58 pm

I have worked with/for Alan Alda, Carol Burnett, Joan Rivers...
I told Chris Isaak that I was very disappointed that I didn't get any bernaise sauce at my table at dinner.
then he gave me an autograph and wrote something referring to our conversation and he spelled 'sauce' wrong.
I knocked David Sanborn down in the middle of the street.
I was in an elevator with Andrew Mcarthy in Memphis...we were wearing the same outfit!
Aidan Quinn asked me if I liked the local beer at this joint in Chicago. He was loaded and I was scared and I ran away.
Speaking of running away, I came through a swinging western-type door and hit Micheal Stipe inthe face and he fell to the floor. I ran away.
I can't think of anything elwse right now.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/19/06 at 3:01 pm

Did you go to High School before you moved?  If so, where did you go?  I went to Notre Dame, graduated in 1987. 

My family still lives there, and I get to visit about 2 times a year.  Do you get to go back?   I can not believe how it's grown, and housing prices, my goodness.  My parents neighbor just sold a house (that they bought for about $35,000 in 1969) they got close to $600,000 for it. Un-real.  But you live in Ca., so you're probably used to the high price for real-estate. 

No, I left in the middle of 6th grade.  If I had stayed, I would have gone to Port Richmond and graduated 1990.  I lived behind the big cemetery on Richmond Ave.  From thinking about the mall though, I wonder if they still have that "Pic-Nic" food court and the "Weiner Works" or something like that in there.. they had awesome knishes!

Written By: KKay on 01/19/06 at 3:03 pm

No, I left in the middle of 6th grade.  If I had stayed, I would have gone to Port Richmond and graduated 1990.  I lived behind the big cemetery on Richmond Ave.  From thinking about the mall though, I wonder if they still have that "Pic-Nic" food court and the "Weiner Works" or something like that in there.. they had awesome knishes!

boy, the mall has changed.
it's upscale and huge and the foodcourt is bigger...theonly  thing the same is the yogurt place.

Written By: lorac614 on 01/19/06 at 3:12 pm

Sorry to the OP, we've hijacked your thread!

I know the cemetery.  My sister went to Port Richmond, but she graduated in 1984. 
The mall is HUGE!!  I think they have Nathan's now.  But the best place to get a knish is Golden's Deli, in the K-mart shopping center, right next to Jade Island.  LOL!!

Written By: ADH13 on 01/19/06 at 3:17 pm

Sorry to the OP, we've hijacked your thread!

haha I'm almost tempted to make an NYC thread... it's fun reminiscing about that place. :)

Written By: Howard on 01/19/06 at 3:19 pm

haha I'm almost tempted to make an NYC thread... it's fun reminiscing about that place. :)

So Why Not?

Written By: ADH13 on 01/19/06 at 3:37 pm

So Why Not?

Cause only 3 or 4 people would have any use for it.

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/19/06 at 4:59 pm

It's OK the thread would just get hijacked anyway, people would start talking about neo nazis or cats or something..... ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/19/06 at 5:06 pm

It's OK the thread would just get hijacked anyway, people would start talking about neo nazis or cats or something..... ;D

Or that cats are a chick thing?

Cat

Written By: YWN on 01/19/06 at 5:11 pm

Or that cats are a chick thing?

...more like an Aryan supremacist thing!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/19/06 at 5:14 pm

Ahh, I just had another one to add to my brief encounter list:

2003 - Beaufort, North Carolina at a restaurant - I saw Donna Douglas AKA "Elly Mae Clampett" from "The Beverly Hillbillies" was making an appearance in that town for some charity work, I believe. She stopped in at the restaurant we were eating at, of all places!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/19/06 at 5:16 pm

I have worked with/for Alan Alda, Carol Burnett, Joan Rivers...
I told Chris Isaak that I was very disappointed that I didn't get any bernaise sauce at my table at dinner.
then he gave me an autograph and wrote something referring to our conversation and he spelled 'sauce' wrong.
I knocked David Sanborn down in the middle of the street.
I was in an elevator with Andrew Mcarthy in Memphis...we were wearing the same outfit!
Aidan Quinn asked me if I liked the local beer at this joint in Chicago. He was loaded and I was scared and I ran away.
Speaking of running away, I came through a swinging western-type door and hit Micheal Stipe inthe face and he fell to the floor. I ran away.
I can't think of anything elwse right now.

Very awesome mix of people you've been around.. how were you connected with working for Alan Alda, Carol Burnett and Joan Rivers? Just curious.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/19/06 at 5:21 pm

I was at a sci-fi convention in Toronto, with one of my friends, and got an autograph from Amber Benson, the actress that played Tara, on Buffy, The Vampire Slayer. And I still have it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/19/06 at 5:23 pm

Plus, my boyfriends dad, Herb, has been in countless films since the 60's and is part of the Screen Actors Guild - So, he talks about films he's been in from time to time like about meeting Mark Ruffalo and Reese Witherspoon on the set of "Just Like Heaven."

Here's his casting photo
http://castimages.com/talentphotos/25-1-thumb.jpg

Written By: loki 13 on 01/19/06 at 6:10 pm

I had a lenghty conversation with Keith Emerson and
Greg Lake,of ELP,outside the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Philly.

Talked with Dick Trickle,NASCAR,in a hotel bar in the Poconos

Went to High school with Bob Corea, drummer of the 80's
band Pretty Poison.

Written By: Harmonica on 01/19/06 at 6:50 pm

Famous People I've met

Lou Thesze - Professional Wrestler in the 1930's -70's
Rob Van Dam - Professional Wrestler Today
Luke Williams - Professional Wrestler (Bushwackers)
Chad Hennings - Dallas Cowboy Superbowl Winner
Harley Race - Professional Wrestler 1970's -1990's
Rick Steiner - Professional Wrestler Today
Larry The Ax Hennig - Professional Wrestler 1960's -1980's
Fritz Von Schineden - Professional Wrestler 1950's - 1960's

Not to mention a great collection of highly accomplished amateur wrestlers, and I'm also related to the Grimm brothers.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/19/06 at 10:23 pm

Famous People I've met

Not to mention a great collection of highly accomplished amateur wrestlers, and I'm also related to the Grimm brothers.

I don't see the 4 Horseman on this list?  8)

Written By: Tia on 01/20/06 at 12:17 am

dag. i saw lynda carter drive by in a car once.

how come yall know all these famous people? how am i missing out on all this action?!?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/20/06 at 1:32 am

Everyone has a had at least one brush with stardom.  Mine goes like this.....

Once, many years ago, I was working partime at a "Marital Aid" store.  You know, novelties & adult toys and the like.  Anyway, one night, this guy came in that looked REALLY familiar, while he meandered about the store, I realized who he was!  He was on of the stars of a little sitcom WKRP In Cinncinatti!  The one with the hair!  He left without buying anything, and went I went over to see what an item was that he spent so much time looking at, I couldn't help but notice he had stolen the valve off of a Penis Enlargement Pump.  They wear out, and are very expensive to replace.

True Story!
WKRP story is great! which guy was it Howard Hesseman alias Johnny Fever or the guy always hitting on Loni Anderson who by the way, was shopping at Lake Tahoe Raleys supermarket and we said hi to her and she was nice about 3years ago. She's so cute. I worked for the phone company as a service rep for a few years back in the 80's and got calls from Oakland A's players Mark McGwire and Rickey Henderson and manager Tony Larussa all requesting to change their telephone numbers due to annoyance calls. My co-worker was a service rep by day, and a Golden State Warriors Cheerleader by night and would get me and friends into the basketball games free. One day at work she asks me if I wanna go with her to a benifit at Carlos Murphys restaurant in Berkeley that the Warriors were having for Childrens Hospital, I'd get to meet the players, have drinks and she's get her Warrior Girl pals to sign a poster for me. I really didn't want to but I decided to be a friend  ;) It was cool, got to take pics with a couple of the basketball stars, and the cheerleaders did up a nice poster for me, and the coolest was when the Warriors coach at the time George Karl and I were having a Heiniken and I was asking him for coaching tips, because I coached my church BB team, and he leans over to me and looks at my Warrior Girl friend and asks me, is that your wife? I chuckled and confessed no, we just worked together. That was fun. 

Written By: Tia on 01/20/06 at 7:55 am

;D Too late, you did bring it up and, that's the sexiest way I've ever heard anyone say it!  Unfortunately, my friends and I long ago decided, based on certain people's experience, that if a guy says it, it's because he is a would be "pump shopper" ;)

i'ma start a poll.

Written By: jackas on 01/20/06 at 10:29 am

I guess I'll go in order...

I saw Darrell Strawberry at Disneyland.

NFL football players that I've met.....Rob Johnson, Wille McGinest, Jason Seahorn and Tony Boselli.

I saw Lyle Lovett in the Houston airport.

Flew on a plane with Ice T and his band.  Was hit on in the baggage claim by a guy in his band and invited to a party after the show. ::) ;D  For the record, I did not go!

I saw John Stewart in Vegas.  My husband went over and shook his hand and talked to him for a minute.  I wasn't interesting in bothering him.  And OMG he was really short!

My family is good friends with Peja Stojakovic from the Sacramento Kings.  We've been to each others houses for dinner and such.  When we lived in Phoenix he used to give us tickets to the games with the Suns.  He would give us backstage passes, so I've had the chance to meet Chris Webber and Hedo Turkoglu.  Of course when you're backstage you see all the others....Bobby Jackson, Mike Bibby, Vlade Divac...........

Written By: KKay on 01/20/06 at 10:36 am

I am sure some of you know John Doe (from X)
I drove him from New jersey to his brother's house in brooklyn.
he was really nice but I was tired and I'm sure I was not at my best.
I di say I loved him, though.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/20/06 at 10:36 am

I guess I'll go in order...

I saw Darrell Strawberry at Disneyland.

NFL football players that I've met.....Rob Johnson, Wille McGinest, Jason Seahorn and Tony Boselli.

I saw Lyle Lovett in the Houston airport.

Flew on a plane with Ice T and his band.  Was hit on in the baggage claim by a guy in his band and invited to a party after the show. ::) ;D  For the record, I did not go!

I saw John Stewart in Vegas.  My husband went over and shook his hand and talked to him for a minute.  I wasn't interesting in bothering him.  And OMG he was really short!

My family is good friends with Peja Stojakovic from the Sacramento Kings.  We've been to each others houses for dinner and such.  When we lived in Phoenix he used to give us tickets to the games with the Suns.  He would give us backstage passes, so I've had the chance to meet Chris Webber and Hedo Turkoglu.  Of course when you're backstage you see all the others....Bobby Jackson, Mike Bibby, Vlade Divac...........

Darrell, Darrell, Darrell, Darrell
hey, is Stojakovic a Yugoslvian comrade? that's cool, the Kings have a way better venue than the Warriors.  

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/20/06 at 11:42 am

I met one of the Nelson twins after their concert, I never could tell which one he was.  He came out to sign autographs, and I'm sure I got a signature, but I can't remember what I did with it now.  I see one of them is on  Celebrity Fit Club now.

I saw Vincent Prince from afar, he was opening a roller coaster at Busch Gardens Amusement Park in Virginia when I went.  He waved in my general direction.  ;D  Way too many people crowded around him to even get an autograph, although amazingly enough, 20 years later, I was in a comic book store and picked up this old comic that had his autograph.  The store must not have noticed it, because they only charged me $2 for it.  There isn'[t any authentification for it other then I've seen other examples of his signature (on the internet) and they look they same.

I met Ronald McDonald once.  He was very nice.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/06 at 12:03 pm

I met Ronald McDonald once.  He was very nice.  ;D

So did I. I was student teaching when Ronald came to the school and put a show. I was "volunteered" to be in the show-doing a "Vanna White" type thing (revealing words from a board) and I was getting into and hamming it up. Ronald made a comment about how I was doing it and said something like, "We should go out for coffee sometime." I have been asked out by a bunch of clowns before but this one definately took the cake.

Cat

Written By: YWN on 01/20/06 at 1:04 pm

It's Jon Stewart...no 'h'.

AND I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU PASSED UP THE CHANCE TO TALK TO THE FUNNIEST MAN IN EXISTENCE.

...how short was he, exactly?

Written By: Tia on 01/20/06 at 1:08 pm

jon stewart rules.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/20/06 at 1:55 pm

Plus, my boyfriends dad, Herb, has been in countless films since the 60's and is part of the Screen Actors Guild - So, he talks about films he's been in from time to time like about meeting Mark Ruffalo and Reese Witherspoon on the set of "Just Like Heaven."

Here's his casting photo
http://castimages.com/talentphotos/25-1-thumb.jpg

gosh...I love that man (Mark Ruffalo)...I would love to meet him someday! ;) :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/20/06 at 1:57 pm

my cousin was sitting at this bar in NYC...and he looks over and the person sitting next to him was Joey Ramone....he exchanged a few words with him, said he was pretty quiet, but a nice enough guy.  Man, I would have LOVED to have met him. :-\\

Written By: Howard on 01/20/06 at 2:03 pm

But I live In New York City.

Written By: KKay on 01/20/06 at 2:13 pm

I saw Tony Bennett eating dinner at a diner in NYC

Written By: Howard on 01/20/06 at 2:23 pm

Famous People I've met

That's cool.

Written By: jackas on 01/20/06 at 4:11 pm

It's Jon Stewart...no 'h'.

AND I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU PASSED UP THE CHANCE TO TALK TO THE FUNNIEST MAN IN EXISTENCE.

...how short was he, exactly?

I have this thing where I think that celebrities don't want people coming up and talking to them every second of the day.  I was trying to respect his space.  I think he was 5' 6" or 5' 7" which isn't all that short, but when you see him on tv it seems like he is taller than that.

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/20/06 at 4:17 pm

I have this thing where I think that celebrities don't want people coming up and talking to them every second of the day.  I was trying to respect his space.  I think he was 5' 6" or 5' 7" which isn't all that short, but when you see him on tv it seems like he is taller than that.

Same here, although I've never gotten the chance...

Written By: Harmonica on 01/23/06 at 12:27 pm

That's cool.

Thank ya Howard

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/23/06 at 1:07 pm

gosh...I love that man (Mark Ruffalo)...I would love to meet him someday! ;) :)

Sometimes I wonder how lucky my boyfriend's Dad has been to meet all these stars. His Dad also made a bit appearance in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" in 1967 where he's in the background of the airport scene (when Sidney Poitier's charactor lands, I believe). He was just recently doing some work for a movie in San Francisco in a movie about a man who rose from being homeless into being a very wealthy stockbroker (I could be wrong about the description of the film as I hear bits and pieces and then when the movie actually comes out, it makes more sense).

Oh yeah, and Mark Ruffalo is hot! Great scenes of him in Eternal Spotless Mind or whatever the heck that movie is called. He's in his tightie whities, lol.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/23/06 at 4:38 pm

I was in a leather clothing store in Boston (about 1968) and Robert Plant walked in with a guy with a
briefcase.  He picked out some stuff and the guy opened the case and it was full of money.

I was walking down the street in Boston and Roger Daltry and Peter Townsend walked by on their
way to a concert.  They stopped so my friend could take their picture.

My sister worked in radio and went to a big dinner and sat across from George Harrison

Written By: Howard on 01/23/06 at 5:26 pm

Thank ya Howard

You're Welcome.

Written By: KKay on 01/24/06 at 9:32 am

Oh yeah! Sting sent me a postcard on my birthday (my friend was working on broadway when Sting was in 3 Penny Opera)!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/27/06 at 6:39 am

William Shatner (wasn't impressed)

Cat

A friend of mine has a video company and had to shoot a commercial with William Shatner and I
got to come along.  He was pretty obnoxious, preening like a 15 year old, trying to be sarcastic but
there wasn't anyone falling for it, made himself look like an idiot.  He only amused himself.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/27/06 at 12:20 pm

A friend of mine has a video company and had to shoot a commercial with William Shatner and I
got to come along.  He was pretty obnoxious, preening like a 15 year old, trying to be sarcastic but
there wasn't anyone falling for it, made himself look like an idiot.  He only amused himself.

Sounds like he hadn't changed since I met him back in the early 70s.  ::)

Cat

Written By: Tia on 01/28/06 at 11:27 am

Sounds like he hadn't changed since I met him back in the early 70s.  ::)

Cat

but he did that KAAAHHHHHHHHNNNNN! thing, though! i'm so disappointed.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/28/06 at 11:45 am

We were having a magnificent all you can eat Sunday brunch at His Lordships' restaurant on the Berkeley marina, beautiful view, it faces the SF bay and the GoldenGate bridge, and someone noticed Al Lewis who played Grandpa Munster about 2 tables away from us, having a meal with his grandchildren and family. A lady in table near us did speak to him to tell him she thought he was great and he was nice and said "Happy Happy" to all.  such a recognizable character. he looked totally the same as in the show.

Check for new replies or respond here...