inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If you could live in another time and place

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/19/06 at 1:24 pm

Where and when? For me, if you are talking about America in particular, I would say the West from the 1860s to the 1890s. Or "old California", you know, back in the first half of the 19th century.

For the world: Mexico City in the 1920s, following the revolution. Or Spain during the golden age of the Moors.

Subject: Re: If you could live in another time and place

Written By: spaceace on 01/19/06 at 1:33 pm

I'd probably live in Monaco during the 1960's-1970's.

Written By: Howard on 01/19/06 at 2:38 pm

The 1970's Disco Era

Written By: danootaandme on 01/19/06 at 2:53 pm

Think I'll stay right here.  Has anyone here seen the specials they had on PBS where they had people
living for a couple of months in earlier times.  They had "1900 House", one in England set in the
Iron Age, One in New England with the people living like Puritans, one with people in the midwest as
homesteaders, another in England "Manor House" some were servants, others guests and of course
the lord and lady.  They are real eye-openers. 

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/19/06 at 3:34 pm

I'd love to live in the late 40's/early 50's.

The 60's and 70's wouldn't be too bad, either.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/19/06 at 4:01 pm

I'd live in London in the mid 1960's. I'd be Austin Powers, baby!!! :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/19/06 at 4:05 pm

Probably around the time frame my boyfriend was born around (1963-1970), as maybe we could've found one another and have spent even more happy years together...

Written By: C.NOIZE on 01/19/06 at 4:14 pm

I'd probably stay in Shippensburg, but go back to about 1885.  Then, I could experience all of the things I wish were still around--the thriving downtown, the railroad, the absence of chain stores and interstate highways, etc.  Also, if I were to live out my life from that point, I'd probably be able to make it into the 40's and 50's, which is another time period I'd like to see.  After that, things kinda go downhill.  (I know, we didn't start the fire...but we sure did fan the flames.)

Also, if I were to go back to 1885, I could buy up a bunch of farmland at REALLY cheap prices.  :D

A question I have concerning this, though, is what theory of time we're working under.  Meaning, could I change things?  If so, then I would probably choose a different time/place.

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/19/06 at 4:16 pm

The UK.

Probably the eighties. Woulda been weird, but interesting...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/19/06 at 4:58 pm

the late 60s and 70s London

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/19/06 at 5:02 pm

Where and when? For me, if you are talking about America in particular, I would say the West from the 1860s to the 1890s. Or "old California", you know, back in the first half of the 19th century.

For the world: Mexico City in the 1920s, following the revolution. Or Spain during the golden age of the Moors.

By the way, what would you say the Wild West era is? I'd say like 1840 to 1915, but 1860 to 1900 is really the core of it.

Anyway, I'll limit my answer to the 20th and 21st Centuries, as of course I'd go further into the future or past given a choice (although I'd feel darn bad passing up the '80s).

I'd go to the 1980s, of course!  Although the 2020s and 1960s would be second choices.

Written By: whistledog on 01/19/06 at 5:05 pm

I'd love to live still in Canada, but in the early 80s

Written By: loki 13 on 01/19/06 at 6:30 pm

1333-1573 Japan, any time in this period,the time of the Samurai.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/19/06 at 7:02 pm

Think I'll stay right here.  Has anyone here seen the specials they had on PBS where they had people
living for a couple of months in earlier times.  They had "1900 House", one in England set in the
Iron Age, One in New England with the people living like Puritans, one with people in the midwest as
homesteaders, another in England "Manor House" some were servants, others guests and of course
the lord and lady.  They are real eye-openers. 

Yes, I've seen those shows before. Very enlightening.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/20/06 at 10:03 am

I would live in the US....anytime between 1920 and 1960ish.

Written By: KKay on 01/20/06 at 10:09 am

I should have been surfing in CA in the late 60s..
or in NY with the Beats in the late 50s.
or exploring the pyramids in the 20s-30s.
or in a speakeasy cabaret in pre-war eastern europe.

but I was in NY in the late 70s and 80s and that was great.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/20/06 at 10:53 am

or in NY with the Beats in the late 50s.

I just finished(another) book about Kerouac.  I live near Lowell so he kind of hovers around in the
atmospere.

Written By: KKay on 01/20/06 at 11:56 am

I just finished(another) book about Kerouac.  I live near Lowell so he kind of hovers around in the
atmospere.

I've read tons on him and I really enjoy recordings of him.
I'm a fan. I loove the style of the times and the music too..
I"m sure his spirit looms large in Lowell.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/20/06 at 1:25 pm

My place probably would be in the High Renaissance (1490's or shortly after) or around the time of the Impressionists (1870's France). I would have fit right in with Mary Cassatt and Auguste Renoir & company.

Written By: Howard on 01/20/06 at 3:05 pm

I'd also want to live in the 1980's before cell phones.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/20/06 at 3:11 pm

I've read tons on him and I really enjoy recordings of him.
I'm a fan. I loove the style of the times and the music too..
I"m sure his spirit looms large in Lowell.

Well, yes an no.  It took a lot to get them to really recognize him, and then I think it was only to bring
in the tourist dollars.  He wasn't a very nice quy, and add the reputation of drugs and homosexuality,
well, for a long time they really tried to downplay him.  Now of course, there is a memorial park, a Kerouac weekend, and if you go to the Edson cemetery they have a map all ready to lead you to the grave(I have been a couple of times).

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/10/06 at 4:38 am

Probably a few hundred years in the future...

Written By: KKay on 02/10/06 at 8:14 am

Probably a few hundred years in the future...

hmmmmm interesting and daring.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/17/07 at 8:08 am

Coincidentally, I was born just about when the stuff I like began taking off towards the end of 1981 (i.e. premiere of MTV, video games, cable television). Ironically, I'm not sure I'd actually want to live anytime before that, because I'll plead guilty to the fact that in some respects I'm a real slave to entertainment, technology and other "modern" things in the world.

Having said that, don't get me wrong, because I'm something of a historian and I do have alot of fascination with earlier times and wouldn't mind visiting or residing in them for awhile. If I had to pick a time before I was born, I think around when George Washington became president in the late 18th Century (that would be fascinating just for that, like the original 13 colonies), the Old West in California (I could be like Doc in BTTF III), and the time between the two World Wars would be interesting too. Like, there was modern comfort, but alot of older world feel still around.

1955 to 1980 would be like the "older youth culture" time. It's kinda in that in limbo period. Too old to be considered the present at all, but too new to really be historical yet.

Written By: La Roche on 11/17/07 at 9:07 am

Berlin in 1933.

I would have assassinated Adolf Hitler and taken command of the Reich myself. Not making any of the mistakes he made, I would have formed alliances with Great Britain and the United States and laid siege against Russia, eventually conquering and from there moving my way down across China and Japan before pushing through the middle east and North Africa and establishing a 1000 year Reich.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/08 at 4:54 am

Somewhere warmer and the facilities are well provided I know where I would like be...

...as my screen name suggests.

Check for new replies or respond here...