inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is your ancestry?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 3:01 am

I'm perhaps 50% English, 25% Irish, and 25% other stuff.

Subject: Re: What is your ancestry?

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/06 at 3:08 am

I am 100% Canadian  ;D

Seriously though, I am part Mohawk, part Irish  :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 3:13 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/22/06 at 3:42 am

Erm... The ones I know of: English, North Norwegian (Laplandish/Sami) and of course New Zealander (Kiwi)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/06 at 3:46 am

At the moment 100% English, but I am only at my Great-Grandparents, further news later on.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/22/06 at 7:10 am

I actually have done a genealogy quest and have come up with this (so far)

Fairly equal parts

African/Dutch/Native American/French/Scottish/English  and 100% American

Written By: witchain on 01/22/06 at 7:25 am

Swiss+
German+
English=
Who cares?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/22/06 at 10:20 am

Norwegian/English/Scottish/Canadian

Written By: Paul on 01/22/06 at 10:21 am

Heaven knows...

...mostly 'northern European', I can be sure of that much!

Written By: loki 13 on 01/22/06 at 10:53 am

As I have stated before, I was born in Camden,New Jersey
as were my parents and grandparents, so that makes me
a Native American.Going back further,my great granparents
came from Ireland.There is also very little Cherokee in my family,
to little for me to count.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/22/06 at 11:08 am

As I have stated before, I was born in Camden,New Jersey
as were my parents and grandparents, so that makes me
a Native American.Going back further,my great granparents
came from Ireland.There is also very little Cherokee in my family,
to little for me to count.

If you honor your ancestors they all count.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/06 at 11:15 am

In one sense, we must be all related to each other?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/22/06 at 11:22 am

Family Of Man - Three Dog Night      well said cousin Philip
40% Mexican
50% Yugoslavian
10% inthe00s member  :)
seriously =, the smallest percentage will be Indian, Comanche out of Texas is what I remember .
My nephew is runnin down the ancestry & geaneologies and that is the last part he's digging for information on. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 11:25 am

Canadian/Polish/Ukrainian

Written By: Howard on 01/22/06 at 1:01 pm

Polish/Jewish

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/22/06 at 5:32 pm

African-American, Welsh, Irish, Choctaw and French

Written By: loki 13 on 01/22/06 at 5:48 pm

If you honor your ancestors they all count.

I stand corrected but may have misunderstood.When I said too
little to count,I meant I can't claim the bloodline on any documents
not that my ancestors didn't count.I should have worded it better.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/22/06 at 7:29 pm

Swedish, Irish, French and American Indian. (I am a distant relative of Pocahontas and John Rolf)  Mostly Swedish and Irish.

Written By: mandamoo on 01/22/06 at 7:57 pm

Predominantly English, roughly six generations back  :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 8:00 pm

Predominantly English, roughly six generations back  :)

Australians are in a sense English, based on their ancestry.  Americans are mostly of English, German, and Latino ancestry, but with a bit of everything.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/22/06 at 9:46 pm

Italian, Slovak, Dutch, Welsh, Indian...and perhaps a few others I am missing....but, it is mostly Italian (my dad is 100% Italian).

Written By: C.NOIZE on 01/22/06 at 9:50 pm

Well, as far as I'm concerned, I'm American...you have to go back quite a few generations to find the original immigrants.  But if one were to go back that far, I'm mostly of German descent.  There's also a bit of English and Irish mixed in there.

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/22/06 at 10:10 pm

8) My moms family is:..DAD ..he married a full blooded Cherokee Indian,and her father was a Cavanaugh... straight off the boat Irish.. and my Dads family are total..English??-Hollingsworth..my whole family has Black hair, except for my grandfather , moms dad..and he was bald when I knew him...I married a Lakota Sioux..so the kids have black hair too..except for mt daughter, she has dark brown hair and blue /green eyes...mine are green with black hair...wierd!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/22/06 at 11:04 pm

Americans are mostly of English, German, and Latino ancestry, but with a bit of everything.

Some of us, not the most of us. That's a gross generalization.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/23/06 at 12:46 am

Some of us, not the most of us. That's a gross generalization.

I think it would be at least 50%, if I'm not mistaken, but I could be mistaken.  I should of said "the largest ancestries", sorry :)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/23/06 at 5:50 am

Swedish, Irish, French and American Indian. (I am a distant relative of Pocahontas and John Rolf)  Mostly Swedish and Irish.

COUSIN

I am in there, too.  But of course it has been said that If you have an ancestor that has been in the USA more than 3 or 4 generations then you are probably related to any in the same situation.  My mothers side goes back to Virginia. I think Tanya is also in the family.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/23/06 at 6:41 pm

COUSIN

I am in there, too.  But of course it has been said that If you have an ancestor that has been in the USA more than 3 or 4 generations then you are probably related to any in the same situation.  My mothers side goes back to Virginia. I think Tanya is also in the family.

Yeah, I'm in the family! LOL

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/23/06 at 6:42 pm

I think it would be at least 50%, if I'm not mistaken, but I could be mistaken.  I should of said "the largest ancestries", sorry :)

That's okay, love. No worries!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/23/06 at 6:43 pm

That's okay, love. No worries!

Written By: whistledog on 01/23/06 at 10:21 pm

the world did begin with just adam and eve

Written By: Howard on 01/24/06 at 1:30 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Step-chan on 01/24/06 at 1:39 pm

Russell side: English and German(I found out not too long ago that there is English in my ancestry on this side), possible Native American, I don't know for sure(if I do have Native American in me, it's not that much)
Harrington side: Irish and Portuguese(and lord knows what else).

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/02/06 at 10:03 pm

8) My grandfather on my moms side was Irish,,,He married a Cherokee Indian Princess!!!...my dad 's father was a Hollingsworth, from England or Briton..Im not sure.My only living grandmother is , well, just American, I am not sure, I do know that she was a " Rosie the rivitor"...She built the planes for world war 2.. I think thats soo cool

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 02/02/06 at 11:55 pm

I'm Hungarian, German, Italian, and English.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/02/06 at 11:57 pm

8) My grandfather on my moms side was Irish,,,He married a Cherokee Indian Princess!!!...my dad 's father was a Hollingsworth, from England or Briton..Im not sure.My only living grandmother is , well, just American, I am not sure, I do know that she was a " Rosie the rivitor"...She built the planes for world war 2.. I think thats soo cool

Are you sure he married a Native American? Just out of curiousity b/c Native American tribes didn't have princesses.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/03/06 at 1:23 am

Are you sure he married a Native American? Just out of curiousity b/c Native American tribes didn't have princesses.
what title is given the chiefs daughter?  or is she just the chiefs daughter.
I always thought there was american indian in my family bloodline, Comanche is what I remember hearing as I was a youngster, but the one I'd heard it from, my father, doesn't recall. That's kind of a bummer to not really know.

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/03/06 at 3:07 am

::)  Sorry..Princess wasnt in the mix..I just added that because that is what I considerd my grandmother to be....She was Cherokee...but a princess to me>>>

Written By: Howard on 02/03/06 at 2:38 pm

Polish/Jewish

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/04/06 at 12:11 am

I always thought there was american indian in my family bloodline, Comanche is what I remember hearing as I was a youngster, but the one I'd heard it from, my father, doesn't recall. That's kind of a bummer to not really know.
  ::) There is really something going on wierd here!...First, I dont really dont know about the Chiefs daughter...I need to research more because my grandmother was full blooded Cherokee...I am really Proud to be a Native American..I dont down any other race..BUT..WE were here first and the white man took our land and put my kinfolk on reservations....The main charity I give to is the American Indian Childrens Hunger Fund...PPLE...Look at this website and imagine that this is actually in AMERICA....The living conditions are horrible!...People have a misconseption that all Indians were bad..That is not so..Yes.there were MANY that killed the whites..but think about it...the white PPLE came in and tried to take thier land and take control of them...Just like Slavery to me...Sorry..I am VERY passionate on this...If you guys give to charities ..I suggest the above and Saint Judes Childrens Hospital here in MEM.. for Cancer Patients...I survived Cancer and This Hospital is the BEST in the USA!!!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/04/06 at 12:20 am

The thing is, many European Americans claim Native American blood (and I'm not saying you or anyone else on this board) when there isn't. I guess it's to make them less white. Go figure!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/04/06 at 12:30 am

The thing is, many European Americans claim Native American blood (and I'm not saying you or anyone else on this board) when there isn't. I guess it's to make them less white. Go figure!
I've got European and Mexican and the mexican on my dad's side is where I had heard from my dad that there was comanche, but i must have been little and misheard. He says there isn't now.  Why such an interest on your part, may I ask and my question about the chief's daughter was to you Tanya1976. You responded to the other person that there weren't any princesses, and I thought you might know what title would be given to the daughter. 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/04/06 at 12:55 am

I've got European and Mexican and the mexican on my dad's side is where I had heard from my dad that there was comanche, but i must have been little and misheard. He says there isn't now.  Why such an interest on your part, may I ask and my question about the chief's daughter was to you Tanya1976. You responded to the other person that there weren't any princesses, and I thought you might know what title would be given to the daughter. 

I have Choctaw blood. My maternal great-great grandfather was Choctaw Indian. He met my great great grandmother, who was French Creole, in Louisiana and the rest is of course, history.......

The thing is that there wouldn't be any title given. She would have been simply called "Woman" (e.g. Cree Woman, Cherokee Woman - which tends to be the common tribe used by many European Americans to claim Native American ancestry as if no other existed).

One way of finding a falsehood is whenever you heard the beginning of a tall tale such as "My so so married a Native American/Indian Princess or squaw". One, b/c there's no such thing as Princess in Native American tribes. Finally, a squaw is a derogatory term for "loose woman".

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/04/06 at 1:15 am

I have Choctaw blood. My maternal great-great grandfather was Choctaw Indian. He met my great great grandmother, who was French Creole, in Louisiana and the rest is of course, history.......

The thing is that there wouldn't be any title given. She would have been simply called "Woman" (e.g. Cree Woman, Cherokee Woman - which tends to be the common tribe used by many European Americans to claim Native American ancestry as if no other existed).

One way of finding a falsehood is whenever you heard the beginning of a tall tale such as "My so so married a Native American/Indian Princess or squaw". One, b/c there's no such thing as Princess in Native American tribes. Finally, a squaw is a derogatory term for "loose woman".
I haven't studied native Americans, but I remember in Little Big Man, when he takes his wife's sisters in the tent, one is named corn-woman, buffalo-woman.  Now of course it's fiction, but some accuracy, maybe a little. I wouldn't be too quick to judge if what someone said was a falsehood because the termiology used was inaccurate, but who's to really know. I was born in Louisiana myself and earlier generations in San Antonio, comanche territorys were once there and maybe as a kid I thought I'd heard it and was proud to have a trace of indian blood, but it looks as if it's not true. We still have a common  connection anyways. The beatles, yeah yeah yeah!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/04/06 at 1:17 am

I haven't studied native Americans, but I remember in Little Big Man, when he takes his wife's sisters in the tent, one is named corn-woman, buffalo-woman.  Now of course it's fiction, but some accuracy, maybe a little. I wouldn't be too quick to judge if what someone said was a falsehood because the termiology used was inaccurate, but who's to really know. I was born in Louisiana myself and earlier generations in San Antonio, comanche territorys were once there and maybe as a kid I thought I'd heard it and was proud to have a trace of indian blood, but it looks as if it's not true. We still have a common  connection anyways. The beatles, yeah yeah yeah!

lol, yeah, hello badfinger (big beatle connection!)

Written By: ADH13 on 02/04/06 at 1:22 am

I have a question and Tanya you seem knowledgable about this stuff... is the term "African-American" meant to be taken literally, or is it just a way of saying "Black"?  I'm just curious because I don't normally hear South African (white) referred to as African-American... and I do hear Jamaicans referred to as African-American... which they could be.. I honestly don't know if Jamaicans have ties to Africa or not...

(sorry if that was a stupid question)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/04/06 at 1:26 am

love the group, but such a tragic story. I'll post it soon in El_Duderino's band profile thread, but not tonight.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/04/06 at 1:35 am

I have a question and Tanya you seem knowledgable about this stuff... is the term "African-American" meant to be taken literally, or is it just a way of saying "Black"?  I'm just curious because I don't normally hear South African (white) referred to as African-American... and I do hear Jamaicans referred to as African-American... which they could be.. I honestly don't know if Jamaicans have ties to Africa or not...

(sorry if that was a stupid question)

Nope, not a stupid one at all.

AA is simply another way of saying black, or it could be taken literally if the person immigrated here from Africa. I've heard the dilemma of many South Africans dealing with it, though. The vast majority of Jamaicans have origins in Africa (as well as other spots as well).

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/04/06 at 1:36 am

love the group, but such a tragic story. I'll post it soon in El_Duderino's band profile thread, but not tonight.

It really is a tragic story!

Written By: ADH13 on 02/04/06 at 1:38 am

Nope, not a stupid one at all.

AA is simply another way of saying black, or it could be taken literally if the person immigrated here from Africa. I've heard the dilemma of many South Africans dealing with it, though. The vast majority of Jamaicans have origins in Africa (as well as other spots as well).

Oh, ok... another thing that I was wondering about was that Mohammed Atta (one of the 9/11 hijackers) was Egyptian... and while he wouldn't have been called African-American anyway because he was in no way an American, he wasn't called African... he was called Arab.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/04/06 at 1:45 am

Oh, ok... another thing that I was wondering about was that Mohammed Atta (one of the 9/11 hijackers) was Egyptian... and while he wouldn't have been called African-American anyway because he was in no way an American, he wasn't called African... he was called Arab.

Egypt is a melting pot of origins. However, yes, he was lumped incorrectly as Arab.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/04/06 at 1:50 am

Egypt is a melting pot of origins. However, yes, he was lumped incorrectly as Arab.

Yeah, I used to get lumped incorrectly too... My paternal grandmother's ancestors are from Israel... and when I lived in NY I could use the term Jewish as an ethnicity and everybody knew what I meant... but if I say that in California, people assume I am talking about my religion... and I don't have any religion so now I just say I'm part Israeli.. it's a little less confusing. ;D

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/04/06 at 3:33 am

8) She wasnt really a princess,. except to me....and her kids of course!...My Memaw..( as we call them here in the South!)...well, she was so very cool. she never got past the 3rd grade, BUT, she had more common sense than most People I know now that went to college..She was a true -Blue Indian all the way..she sewed all my moms, and her five siblings clothes, She was the BEST cook I have ever encountered....Emeriel would be impressed!...my grandfather and her had a garden that was HUGE!!...They grew everything from Peanuts, to squash, Tomatos, Watermelon, snap beans, Carrots, Corn, Greens, I cant even name them all.. they were Amazing People, and I was privaliged to be related to them and to have them around when I was Young...I think that if today , our children had grandparents , such as mine and my husbands, they would be better individuals. I am not saying that we are bad parents by no means, but, I think kids have way too easy now and need to hear from the older folks.

Check for new replies or respond here...