inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: To your reckoning, what Accent do you speak?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 3:19 am

I'd say I'm Hollywood accent, being from the West Coast.  But, I may have some Midwest from my three years in Montana.

Subject: Re: To your reckoning, what Accent do you speak?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/22/06 at 3:40 am

Umm... I think I'm gonna go with New Zealand accent.  :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 11:23 am

Canadian, eh?    ;D

So, how's it going eh?  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/06 at 12:10 pm

I don't really have a thick Canadian accent.  If I ever went outside of North America, people would naturally assume I am american becuase I don't have the accent, but however, I do say eh quite a bit  :-[

Written By: Billy Florio on 01/22/06 at 12:21 pm

I wrote New York, even though I speak Long Island (theres a difference between Long Island and Brooklyn...)

no Boston accent?

Written By: Morton on 01/22/06 at 12:22 pm

Other... mackem accent

Written By: Howard on 01/22/06 at 12:55 pm

New York accent

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/06 at 1:16 pm

Every now and again, you can hear my New Yowk accent come out.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 01/22/06 at 1:30 pm

You have to be careful when you say New Jersey.NJ has
two distinct dialects.It's North Joysey and South Jersey.
When I was in North Carolina a sales clerk told me I was
from Philadelphia.She wasn't far off, I live right across the
river,in South Jersey.

Written By: jackas on 01/22/06 at 4:15 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 4:18 pm

I have a friend of the family that lives up in Vancouver and I noticed that he says, "yeah" after a lot of sentences.  Have you guys ever heard this done up there?

That seems like a Minnesotan thing to me.

Written By: jackas on 01/22/06 at 4:21 pm

Like OMG, I'm like totally Southern Calif.  Whatever! :P

I usually won't talk this way on a daily basis, but if I'm talking to someone I don't know very well it totally comes out.

It also comes out when I talk to certain friends.  You should hear my husband mock me. ;D ::)

Written By: gemini on 01/22/06 at 5:03 pm

I guess you'd say midwestern. I think I'm on the border of those who say "pop" and those who say "soda". I say pop, BTW

Written By: Paul on 01/22/06 at 5:05 pm

I speak like something that crawled out of the Thames estuary...!

Although I can be well-spoken when I need to be...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/22/06 at 5:29 pm

You have to be careful when you say New Jersey.NJ has
two distinct dialects.It's North Joysey and South Jersey.
When I was in North Carolina a sales clerk told me I was
from Philadelphia.She wasn't far off, I live right across the
river,in South Jersey.

Hahahah - so true, so true. I'm from Philly and that area is just too similar to call it. But I voted Jersey b/c that's the closest way to describe it.

My hubby's from California and we live here. I'm sorry but there's no accent here at all.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/22/06 at 5:34 pm

Didn't realise there where so many American accents?  :o

I know of Normal, Southern and New Yorker, otherwise I can't tell the difference between any of the others.

Written By: jackas on 01/22/06 at 5:41 pm

My hubby's from California and we live here. I'm sorry but there's no accent here at all.

No, there isn't really an accent, but some people do talk with that val thing going on.  I wouldn't necessarily call it an accent, more of an attitude I guess.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/22/06 at 5:43 pm

Hahahah - so true, so true. I'm from Philly and that area is just too similar to call it. But I voted Jersey b/c that's the closest way to describe it.

Tanya,you know the differences between North and South Jersey but
other regions lump us together.I think South Jersey has picked up a
South Philly dialect where as North Jersey is New York.They have subs,
we have Hoagies.They have sprinkles, We have jimmies.They have Italian ice,
we have water ice.Not many Wawa's up north either.

Written By: jackas on 01/22/06 at 5:49 pm

Didn't realise there where so many American accents?  :o

I know of Normal, Southern and New Yorker, otherwise I can't tell the difference between any of the others.

I was out at the Olive Garden (Italian Restaurant) in Sacramento, CA and our waiter had an accent.  My brother in law asked me where I thought he came from and I said Boston, my brother in law said Australia.  So the guy comes back and talks to us some more and after he leaves my brother in law says, "So, you still think he sounds like he's from Boston?"  I still thought he sounded like he was from Boston.  So when the waiter came back I asked where he was from and he said he was from New Zealand, but that a lot of people think that he's from Boston. ;D

My dad was from the Boston area so I've very familiar with the accent.  I really like that accent.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 6:15 pm

No, there isn't really an accent, but some people do talk with that val thing going on.  I wouldn't necessarily call it an accent, more of an attitude I guess.

A California accent is about the same as an Iowa accent, except they say stuff like "like" and also "hella" if you're talking about NorCal.  In Oregon, we talk pretty much like Californians except without the Valspeak (even I say "like" a lot), and most of us say "Pop" (although I say "Soda", being a California native).  BTW Californians don't have no accent, they just sound totally neutral to most Americans in the West, Midwest and Northeast.

For the US, I'd say there's these accents:

Midwest/West:

Californian (seems to originate from Iowa/east Nebraska/west Illinois) - Common in all states west of and within Continental Divide, save Alaska and Hawaii
Midland - Common in Kansas, Nebraska, southern Iowa, northern Missouri, central Illinois, and parts of Indiana
Ohio - Sounds kind of like Californian, only harsher.  Common in Ohio (duh!) and perhaps parts of PA and NY.
Alaska - Common in Alaska.  Hard to explain this one.
Hawaii - Well, I'm not sure ...
Southwestern - Similar to Californian, but with a hearty feeling
Minnesotan/Great Lakes - Common from NE corner of Montana to western New York State, but especially in eastern North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin and the UP.  Similar to Canadian, with Scandinavian influences.

Dixie:

Texan: Spoken in most of Texas and parts of Oklahoma
New Orleans: Oddly, similar to a New York accent
Cajun - ????
Creole - ????
Floridan - Similar to a Californian or Midwest accent
Ol' South - Common in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, and parts of Kentucky, Louisiana, NC, Virginia, and Missouri
Appalachian - Common from NE Alabama and north Georgia to southern Ohio and PA, in the Appalachian region

Northeast:

Pittsburghese - ?
New Joysey - northern New Jersey
New York - New York City, various branches for certain boroughs.  "Get in the caw"
Philly - SE Pennsylvania, southern NJ
Mid-Atlantic - DC, Maryland, etc.  I'm not sure what this sounds like
Boston - Well, like Boston.  Perhaps some Irish influence.
Vermont/NH, etc.  Not sure
Southern New England - Not sure

Written By: Abix on 01/22/06 at 6:27 pm

I'm surprised Minnesotan has it's own category. Is this because of movies like "Fargo" or "Drop Dead Gorgeous"? The Minnesotan  accents were a bit overdone in those movies. Yeah,  we say  "You Betcha " alot, but I wouldn't say it's so drawn out  as it was in those movies. But you know, when we have been out west, (Portland, Seattle, San Francisco) people  have said they notice the accent. Same with South.. Texans have accused me of talking 'funny' before.  I think accents are kind of fun to try and guess the origin .
I had a patient that was 83  yrs old and from New Jersey... and she spoke just like the gangsters in Goodfellas.. "Get Outta Heeah"  It was  great.  :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 6:29 pm

I'm surprised Minnesotan has it's own category. Is this because of movies like "Fargo" or "Drop Dead Gorgeous"? The Minnesotan  accents were a bit overdone in those movies. Yeah,  we say  "You Betcha " alot, but I wouldn't say it's so drawn out  as it was in those movies. But you know, when we have been out west, (Portland, Seattle, San Francisco) people  have said they notice the accent. Same with South.. Texans have accused me of talking 'funny' before.  I think accents are kind of fun to try and guess the origin .
I had a patient that was 83  yrs old and from New Jersey... and she spoke just like the gangsters in Goodfellas.. "Get Outta Heeah"  It was  great.   :)

Would you say the Midwest accent goes into Montana, if you believe it's real?  It seems like towns like Billings and Great Falls are as culturally influenced by the Twin Cities as they are by Portland and Seattle.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/06 at 6:49 pm

"Vamantas" do have their own accent. It has the Boston influence depending on what part of the state you live. There is also a New York influence, too. But the majorty of Vermonters are "flatlanders" (including Carlos and myself) so we bring our own accents with us-me with my up-state NY accent and Carlos with his N.J. accent. The strange thing, even though he is from Northern N.J. he speaks like he is from Southern N.J. Go figure.

Cat

Written By: Abix on 01/22/06 at 7:13 pm

Would you say the Midwest accent goes into Montana, if you believe it's real?  It seems like towns like Billings and Great Falls are as culturally influenced by the Twin Cities as they are by Portland and Seattle.

Well my husband  was  born in Livingston , Montana.. he lived there up until the age of 6. His father was a railroad executive so most of his siblings were born along the rail lines from Tacoma all the way to Fargo.. The only accent I really notice however is his sister Teresa who lived out in Portland for a long time.  Also his brother John who has acquired a 'southwestern Tucson" Accent. I guess it depends on which side of the mountains you're on..I thought most folks from Montana considered themselves Pacific Nortwesterners.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 7:38 pm

Well my husband  was  born in Livingston , Montana.. he lived there up until the age of 6. His father was a railroad executive so most of his siblings were born along the rail lines from Tacoma all the way to Fargo.. The only accent I really notice however is his sister Teresa who lived out in Portland for a long time.  Also his brother John who has acquired a 'southwestern Tucson" Accent. I guess it depends on which side of the mountains you're on..I thought most folks from Montana considered themselves Pacific Nortwesterners.

I'd say Montana's Northern Rockiers are the Pac NW, the southwest of the state is Intermountain and the east and north-central praries are Upper Midwest.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/22/06 at 7:47 pm

Here in the Midwest, we don't have accents ;)

I was going to say the same thing.  I don't have an accent, everyone else does. ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 7:47 pm

Here in the Midwest, we don't have accents ;)

Oddly, to me people in the Midwest and people in California sound about the same to me, excepting the Minnesota accent and Midwest city-specific accents.

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/06 at 7:48 pm

I have a friend of the family that lives up in Vancouver and I noticed that he says, "yeah" after a lot of sentences.  Have you guys ever heard this done up there?

Can't say as I've heard of that one.  There are alot of Canadians who often say the phrase "Yeah, eh"

Written By: mandamoo on 01/22/06 at 7:50 pm

Australian - New South Welshmen, to be precise  :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 7:51 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/22/06 at 7:58 pm

I was out at the Olive Garden (Italian Restaurant) in Sacramento, CA and our waiter had an accent.  My brother in law asked me where I thought he came from and I said Boston, my brother in law said Australia.  So the guy comes back and talks to us some more and after he leaves my brother in law says, "So, you still think he sounds like he's from Boston?"  I still thought he sounded like he was from Boston.  So when the waiter came back I asked where he was from and he said he was from New Zealand, but that a lot of people think that he's from Boston. ;D

My dad was from the Boston area so I've very familiar with the accent.  I really like that accent.
Theres only 3 distinct New Zealand accents: The most common one, generally used in the cities and urban areas, the Maori accent, and the more Australian sounding one (which is rare, genrally comes from people in the South). I have the first one.  ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 7:59 pm

Theres only 3 distinct New Zealand accents: The most common one, generally used in the cities and urban areas, the Maori accent, and the more Australian sounding one (which is rare, genrally comes from people in the South). I have the first one.  ;)

Are there a lot of hick jokes about the South Island on the North Island?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/22/06 at 8:01 pm

I reckon in that poll, the English accent option should've been split into various options. As there are quite distinct differences to the way people speak in different parts of the UK.

Are there a lot of hick jokes about the South Island on the North Island?
Not particularly. OK, a little.  ;) But I think people here would rather joke about Australians and vise versa.  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 8:05 pm

I reckon in that poll, the English accent option should've been split into various options. As there are quite distinct differences to the way people speak in different parts of the UK.

Not particularly. OK, a little.  ;) But I think people here would rather joke about Australians and vise versa.  ;D

I don't know how those bratty English chums speak!  ;D

Seriously though, what British accents are there besides Cockney?

Written By: jackas on 01/22/06 at 8:08 pm

Dixie:

Texan: Spoken in most of Texas and parts of Oklahoma
New Orleans: Oddly, similar to a New York accent
Cajun - ????
Creole - ????
Floridan - Similar to a Californian or Midwest accent
Ol' South - Common in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, and parts of Kentucky, Louisiana, NC, Virginia, and Missouri
Appalachian - Common from NE Alabama and north Georgia to southern Ohio and PA, in the Appalachian region

People from Northern Florida have the typical southern accent, like Alabama or Georgia.  If you listen hard enough, you can hear the dueling banjos. :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 8:13 pm

Are you known to say "You know?"

Get out of my mind!  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/22/06 at 9:37 pm

Well I would have to say Pittburgh accent (however, I refuse to say "yinz")...but I do sometimes catch myself saying things that are Pittsburghese. Check out this website...it is very amusing! ;)    http://www.pittsburghese.com/

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/23/06 at 11:36 am

I speak like something that crawled out of the Thames estuary...!

Oh stop!!

From the little bit I've heard, I'd say you have a wonderful voice and accent, Paul!  ;)

I'm not sure what kind of accent I have, if any...

I never picked up the 'island' way of talking (though my daughter did)...

But I was once told (by a good friend from this board) that I have a bit of a 'Southern-ish' sound to my voice!  ???

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/23/06 at 11:43 am

I don't really have one. I'm pretty much monotone. There are ones I can slip into, if the situation calls for it..but my natural accent is really none.

I can sound kinda English if I want..I used to talk that way with a Brit friend in high school.

Sometimes just to make everything more comfortable for everybody involved, when I visit my mother's relatives I'll sound a little more southern.

And then sometimes if I am speaking Spanish to someone, and I switch back to English, I'll pronounce alotta stuff in a Spanish accent, without even trying to really. My uncle thinks its hilarious.  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/23/06 at 11:45 am

Now that i think about it though, having "the announcer voice"(which is essentially what I have), isn't that considered to be a Cali thing? Is it a certain part of California that speaks in that way? Like the Bay Area?

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/23/06 at 11:46 am

California... Bay area.. that sorta stuff..

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/23/06 at 12:10 pm

Since I'm *probably* the most well-versed person here in the ins and outs of Southern culture, i'll break down Southern accents for ya.

Classic "suthon" accent: Found in eastern and north eastern Georgia, North and South Carolina, and Virginia. This is also sometimes called "the tar heel accent" or the "foghorn leg horn accent". It almost sounds like a southern version of a New England accent. To me at least.

Deep South coastal accent: This can be found in southern and western Georgia, southern Alabama, southern Mississippi, and the panhandle of Florida. Its what alot of non-Southerners think of as the stereotypical southern accent. Forrest Gump had this accent.

South Louisiana accent: This one is similar to the Deep South accent in alot of ways, yet different. Its more exagerrated in certain ways, and I've also noticed they seem to enunciate certain words in ways others don't. Like potato for instance. You can hear this accent in the movie JFK. This also has some unique colloqialisms with this one. You don't "climb down a tree" you "unclimb a tree". Also you don't "go get" or "go buy" groceries, you "go make" groceries.

The Texas/Arkansas/North Louisiana accent: This is found in Texas, most of Arkansas, and Northern Louisiana. Its also similar to the deep South accent, yet some how different. Excuse me if im not very good at describing these differences, alot of them are subtle and hard to put your finger on exactly.

The Appalachian/Ozark accent: Found in northeastern Arkansas, Tennessee, most of Kentucky, West Virginia, northwest Georgia, southern Missouri, and northern Alabama and northern Mississippi. This accent is different from the Eastern southern accent and any of the "deep south" accents mentioned above. Its all it's own. Its more like the deep south accent than the eastern, but it has a lot less of that syrupy sound. I dunno how to describe it exactly. There are also seem to be quite a few colloqialisms that are unique to this sub-region.

Written By: Tam on 01/23/06 at 12:15 pm

I chose anything else because:

I am Canadian and when talking to peeps back home my Cdn accent shines through -
However, I live in Texas and have for over 3 years so I have picked up the Texan drawl!

Imagine.....

How Ya'll doin' eh?

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/23/06 at 12:39 pm

Since I'm *probably* the most well-versed person here in the ins and outs of Southern culture, i'll break down Southern accents for ya.

Classic "suthon" accent: Found in eastern and north eastern Georgia, North and South Carolina, and Virginia. This is also sometimes called "the tar heel accent" or the "foghorn leg horn accent". It almost sounds like a southern version of a New England accent. To me at least.

Deep South coastal accent: This can be found in southern and western Georgia, southern Alabama, southern Mississippi, and the panhandle of Florida. Its what alot of non-Southerners think of as the stereotypical southern accent. Forrest Gump had this accent.

South Louisiana accent: This one is similar to the Deep South accent in alot of ways, yet different. Its more exagerrated in certain ways, and I've also noticed they seem to enunciate certain words in ways others don't. Like potato for instance. You can hear this accent in the movie JFK. This also has some unique colloqialisms with this one. You don't "climb down a tree" you "unclimb a tree". Also you don't "go get" or "go buy" groceries, you "go make" groceries.

The Texas/Arkansas/North Louisiana accent: This is found in Texas, most of Arkansas, and Northern Louisiana. Its also similar to the deep South accent, yet some how different. Excuse me if im not very good at describing these differences, alot of them are subtle and hard to put your finger on exactly.

The Appalachian/Ozark accent: Found in northeastern Arkansas, Tennessee, most of Kentucky, West Virginia, northwest Georgia, southern Missouri, and northern Alabama and northern Mississippi. This accent is different from the Eastern southern accent and any of the "deep south" accents mentioned above. Its all it's own. Its more like the deep south accent than the eastern, but it has a lot less of that syrupy sound. I dunno how to describe it exactly. There are also seem to be quite a few colloqialisms that are unique to this sub-region.

You forgot the Okie accent. I have a few in my family who speak with that one.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 01/23/06 at 1:10 pm

Seriously though, what British accents are there besides Cockney?

First off, Cockney isn't an accent...it's a style of speaking...

There's a broad Scottish accent, Northern Irish (a harsh variant of the Southern Irish), Geordie, Tyke (Yorkshire), Manc (Manchester), Scouse (Liverpool), Brummie (Birmingham and surrounding areas), Welsh, 'Bumpkin Oo-Aar' (South-West), The South & East Anglia pronounce their vowels slightly broadly, London (there's two variants...East & South) and of course, proper BBC/Queen's English...

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/23/06 at 3:06 pm

You forgot the Okie accent. I have a few in my family who speak with that one.

Cat

Yeah to me it sounds kinda like a cross between a cowboy West Texas-type accent and deep south. Eastern Oklahoma had a large influx of Southern migrants after the Civil War.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/23/06 at 4:25 pm

I was out at the Olive Garden (Italian Restaurant) in Sacramento, CA and our waiter had an accent.  My brother in law asked me where I thought he came from and I said Boston, my brother in law said Australia.  So the guy comes back and talks to us some more and after he leaves my brother in law says, "So, you still think he sounds like he's from Boston?"  I still thought he sounded like he was from Boston.  So when the waiter came back I asked where he was from and he said he was from New Zealand, but that a lot of people think that he's from Boston. ;D

My dad was from the Boston area so I've very familiar with the accent.  I really like that accent.

I have the Boston accent, and everywhere I go people know where I am from.

Written By: jackas on 01/23/06 at 4:31 pm

I have the Boston accent, and everywhere I go people know where I am from.

Yeah, it's very noticeable and cute.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/23/06 at 4:42 pm

Yeah to me it sounds kinda like a cross between a cowboy West Texas-type accent and deep south. Eastern Oklahoma had a large influx of Southern migrants after the Civil War.

Is there a Midland element?  I've heard Tulsa is Midwest-ish.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/23/06 at 4:59 pm

Is there a Midland element?  I've heard Tulsa is Midwest-ish.

Well what im thinking of is east ok and what people think of as the typical Okie accent. But the rest of the state may sound more midwest, i dunno.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/23/06 at 5:01 pm

Well what im thinking of is east ok and what people think of as the typical Okie accent. But the rest of the state may sound more midwest, i dunno.

Isn't part of OK in the Ozarks region?  The eastern part? 
BTW what is Texas like?  Does it suck?

Written By: Howard on 01/23/06 at 5:01 pm

How do New York accents sound? ;D

Written By: Abix on 01/23/06 at 6:04 pm

My  mother was born in Dumfries , VA.. and she and my aunt both say "Warsh your clothes"  . My grandmother was from Chattanooga, TN, and she would always say "In or Awlt, Git In or Awlt.. You're lettin all the flies in" Strange  because they spent most of their lives in Minnesota. Yet they retained these little snippets of their former locales.

Written By: jackas on 01/23/06 at 6:14 pm

There's a broad Scottish accent, Northern Irish (a harsh variant of the Southern Irish), Geordie, Tyke (Yorkshire), Manc (Manchester), Scouse (Liverpool), Brummie (Birmingham and surrounding areas), Welsh, 'Bumpkin Oo-Aar' (South-West), The South & East Anglia pronounce their vowels slightly broadly, London (there's two variants...East & South) and of course, proper BBC/Queen's English...

What the heck accent does Brad Pitt use in that movie Snatch?  I need subtitles to understand him in that movie. ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/23/06 at 6:16 pm

I speak just normal Californian, I suppose. Nothing spectacular about my accent. My Dad's Dad was from the mid-west (Missouri/Oklahoma) and I think my Dad picked up on some of his way of talk. Instead of "measure" my dad would pronounce it as "MAY-sure" There were others, too, but I haven't lived with my dad in 10 years, so I've forgotten some of those famous words he use to really butcher!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/23/06 at 6:28 pm

I speak just normal Californian, I suppose. Nothing spectacular about my accent. My Dad's Dad was from the mid-west (Missouri/Oklahoma) and I think my Dad picked up on some of his way of talk. Instead of "measure" my dad would pronounce it as "MAY-sure" There were others, too, but I haven't lived with my dad in 10 years, so I've forgotten some of those famous words he use to really butcher!

Do you say "Hella" or "Like" a lot? 

Written By: danootaandme on 01/23/06 at 6:29 pm

I once was talking with a guy from Bradford and had to apologize because I couldn't understand a thing
he said.  I felt bad cause he seemed nice but he had a very thick accent that I just couldn't make out 
:-[

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/23/06 at 6:35 pm

Do you say "Hella" or "Like" a lot? 

I say "Hella" or "Like" around certain people. When I'm with friends I'll be real loose and say that excessively, but when I am with others I try to keep my childish talk to myself, lol.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/23/06 at 6:38 pm

I say "Hella" or "Like" around certain people. When I'm with friends I'll be real loose and say that excessively, but when I am with others I try to keep my childish talk to myself, lol.

When I first moved from the Bay to Montana I said "Hella" (actually "hecka") all the time, but after a while I lost it.  People in the Pacific Northwest and Northern Great Plains seem to talk like Californians, except for those tiny differences.

Also, I have a friend from Colorado who calls roofs "ruffs". 

Written By: jackas on 01/23/06 at 8:06 pm

I knew a guy from Ohio that would say crick instead of creek.  That one was new for me.

My dad, being from Mass., would say bananer instead of banana and Naner instead of Nana.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/23/06 at 8:17 pm

I knew a guy from Ohio that would say crick instead of creek. .

This is a good one,here in South Jersey we say crick also,
a creek is something a door does.

Written By: La Roche on 01/23/06 at 8:40 pm

Mine isn't really placeable.

I've spent a lot of time abroad and that has had a lasting impact on my accent.

I tend to enunciate certain words and not others.

For instance, if i were to say to you "You comprehend the difficulty of the situation i am facing" You would think i was some kind of New York mob boss, but at the same time if i were to say "Ya know the problem with.." I sound like I'm from the Mid-west. I also tend to say eh quite a lot.

I dunno, maybe Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota. But as i say, at the same time, you could be forgiven for thinking i may be from the North East.

Written By: spaceace on 01/24/06 at 1:41 pm

I'm from Lancaster PA.  Although I don't have a full-blown "Pennsylvania Dutch" accent, it's pretty blantent were I'm from. (No, I'm not Amish, Amish don't usually use computer technology.) :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/17/07 at 8:54 am

Californian, although in a more toned down way (I'm from the Bay Area). Those aren't as pronounced or obvious as, say Southern or New York accents.

While I'm certainly not like a hardcore surfer or Val the way, say Bill and Ted are, I do say some of those phrases alot, such as "like", "for sure" and "totally". There's also stuff like "hella" (or it's milder variation "hecka") which are very tied to Northern California.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/17/07 at 10:42 am

Californian, although in a more toned down way (I'm from the Bay Area). Those aren't as pronounced or obvious as, say Southern or New York accents.

While I'm certainly not like a hardcore surfer or Val the way, say Bill and Ted are, I do say some of those phrases alot, such as "like", "for sure" and "totally". There's also stuff like "hella" (or it's milder variation "hecka") which are very tied to Northern California.

>_< I hate all of those terms, but "like" and "totally" slip in some times... BAHHHH

Though I'm good at not saying hella or hecka. *Phew.*

Written By: Jessica on 11/17/07 at 1:13 pm

I still sound like I'm from California (I say "hella" and "like" a lot), but I've started developing that drawn out "a" sound in certain words. For instance, when I say "pop" (god, I can't believe I started saying that!), it sounds like "pahp". I'm not sure where you would place that though.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/17/07 at 4:57 pm

Midwest... Although that's like saying I have no accent.

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/17/07 at 7:29 pm

I don't know how to describe it......I don't think I have any special accent....perhaps Southwestern/West Coast?  :-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/17/07 at 9:22 pm

Well I would have to say Pittburgh accent (however, I refuse to say "yinz")...but I do sometimes catch myself saying things that are Pittsburghese. Check out this website...it is very amusing! ;)    http://www.pittsburghese.com/

Well....I would like to reiterate how much I detest the Pittsburgh accent....but I did realize that I say things like:

Dekkacards (deck of cards)
Didya (Did you)
Hafta (Have to)
Jeez-o-man
Mize well (Might as well)
That's it, Fort Pitt (That's right or it's all over)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/17/07 at 9:25 pm

There are that many North American accents? They all sound the same to me, with the exception of Southern & Canadian.

Written By: statsqueen on 11/17/07 at 9:35 pm

Midwest... Although that's like saying I have no accent.

Exactly.  That would describe me, too.  Although when I worked in northern NJ for a summer, the guys at the gas station I stopped at every day made fun of my "accent".  ::)  I said "pop", they said "soda" and they insisted I had the accent.  I disagreed.  I was also informed of the lack of can recycling after I had filled a paper sack under the kitchen sink with my root beer empties.    ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...