inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Local Headlines

Written By: danootaandme on 01/22/06 at 7:06 am

State Puts Freeze on School Construction

The State was aiding cities and towns with funds for building new schools(nice boon for construction companies), In my city we built 5 new schools and refurbished one.  The costs in many of the cases were sometimes anywhere from 10% to 50% more than the projected proposal, so the State is saying that the cities will have to come up with the difference.  I think this is just another case of kickbacks on all levels being paid for by the taxpayers.  Not to mention some of the shoddy construction.  We have a high school with faulty ventilation system in the gym, a pool that had to be reconstructed in the first year because of cracks( the heating system for the pool is unreliable too),  a school in the next town over that was built on a landfill that was improperly capped( ooooh the smell). 

Subject: Re: Local Headlines

Written By: danootaandme on 01/23/06 at 5:58 am

Anyone else read their local papers?  ???

Written By: Paul on 01/23/06 at 6:45 am

I don't as a rule, because my local 'rag' is full of crud...

I think the editor just uses anything to fill in the space between the adverts!

But this week, I would imagine there'll be plenty of stuff about 'that' whale, as it eventually breathed its last not far from where I'm located...

Written By: karen on 01/23/06 at 6:54 am

Anyone else read their local papers?   ???

my local paper only comes out weekly.  And I can't recall last weeks headline

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/23/06 at 11:55 am

Anyone else read their local papers?  ???

Yeah, I do. Front page pic was our ex-son-in-law's sister.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 01/23/06 at 12:02 pm

Yeah, I do. Front page pic was our ex-son-in-law's sister.

Cat

Well...... ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/23/06 at 12:23 pm

Well...... ::)

It was an article about the library (that I really didn't read) and I didn't realized that she worked there and they took her pic. She wasn't even mentioned in the article.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/23/06 at 12:51 pm

I was looking for a news story about a friend of the family whose former mother-in-law died in a house fire in Alabama, when looking through the online edition, I found these um, interesting headlines.  (Whoever writes the sports headlines need help doing so IMO)  ;)

Collins does it on both ends for BSC 
(Sunday, 1/15/2006, Birmingham News )
James Collins lit the offensive fire, scoring 18 points over the final 15 minutes to preserve Birmingham-Southern's third consecutive victory.

Ole Miss hires offensive coordinator 
(Tuesday, 1/10/2006, Birmingham News )
Notes from the SEC and around the country

Lady Pirates' size too much for Lady Dolphins 
(Wednesday, 1/18/2006, Mobile Register )
FAIRHOPE -- When it comes to Gulf Shores vs. Fairhope in girls basketball, size does matter.

I just got a chuckle out of those headlines.  No, it doesn't take much to make me laugh.  :D

Written By: danootaandme on 01/23/06 at 1:26 pm

I was looking for a news story about a friend of the family whose former mother-in-law died in a house fire in Alabama, when looking through the online edition, I found these um, interesting headlines.  (Whoever writes the sports headlines need help doing so IMO)  ;)

Collins does it on both ends for BSC 
(Sunday, 1/15/2006, Birmingham News )
James Collins lit the offensive fire, scoring 18 points over the final 15 minutes to preserve Birmingham-Southern's third consecutive victory.

Ole Miss hires offensive coordinator 
(Tuesday, 1/10/2006, Birmingham News )
Notes from the SEC and around the country

Lady Pirates' size too much for Lady Dolphins 
(Wednesday, 1/18/2006, Mobile Register )
FAIRHOPE -- When it comes to Gulf Shores vs. Fairhope in girls basketball, size does matter.

I just got a chuckle out of those headlines.  No, it doesn't take much to make me laugh.  :D

LOL I guess I am easily amused, too  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/23/06 at 1:29 pm

This one appeared in the local free newspaper here a few months ago.  It's a tragic/sad story, but forgive me, the way they worded the headline just made me laugh ...

"Dead man tells police he's dead ..."

The news story was about a man who went to the police station and told them that he thought someone was trying to kill him.  They didn't believe him, and later that night, someone shot him dead  :\'(

Written By: danootaandme on 01/23/06 at 1:36 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 01/23/06 at 1:38 pm

There was a case like that around here.  A little girl(6 or 7) told her teacher that her mother was home and that she was dead.  The teacher thought it weird but didn't inquire further.  Turns out a couple of days later a family member went to the house and the mother had died of a diabetic shock and the little girl was taking care of herself for about 3 days with her mother dead in the easy chair.   :(

Oh man that's a sad story  :\'(

Stupid teacher should have done something

Written By: Howard on 01/23/06 at 5:38 pm

The front page was about Nixzmary Brown. :(

Written By: jackas on 01/23/06 at 6:00 pm

Living a life at sea -- A story about a new Navy destroyer, the Forrest Sherman, that is coming to Pensacola to be commissioned.  The Navy is a big deal in this town. 

Abortion tensions growing -- Which I did not read

Steelers, Seahawks to face off

Written By: Howard on 01/24/06 at 1:36 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/722-FRONT_BIG.jpg

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/24/06 at 1:43 pm

I usually get our local news from the internet...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/06 at 2:18 pm

There is this guy who wants to run for the Senate on the Republican ticket-however, there is some dispute about his tax returns. It seems that his wife (and yes, they are together-not separated) claims her permanent address is Florida and his is a vacant lot next to his home here in this state-which he states was an error caused by his accountant.  ::)  So, either this guy is trying to pull one over to pay less taxes, or he doesn't know where he lives. And if it turns out he is indeed an legal resident of Florida, that means he can't run for the Senate.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 01/27/06 at 6:29 am

There is this guy who wants to run for the Senate on the Republican ticket-however, there is some dispute about his tax returns. It seems that his wife (and yes, they are together-not separated) claims her permanent address is Florida and his is a vacant lot next to his home here in this state-which he states was an error caused by his accountant.  ::)  So, either this guy is trying to pull one over to pay less taxes, or he doesn't know where he lives. And if it turns out he is indeed an legal resident of Florida, that means he can't run for the Senate.

Cat

So, he is related to the bushes how?    ;D

Written By: karen on 01/27/06 at 7:38 am

Today's headline

Move To Bring Back The Hunt  story about the possibility of the local hunt being invited to start it's Boxing Day meet in the town centre again.

It was a tradition as a child every Boxing Day to go and see Quorn Hunt set off from the market place.  They rode up the main street and into the local woods.  It was a big event and the streets would be lined with people to watch the spectacle.  Then in 1991 they weren't invited by the mayor so they stopped doing it.  The community fun day that replaced was never very successful.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/27/06 at 12:26 pm

So, he is related to the bushes how?    ;D

;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/27/06 at 2:19 pm

The green banner of Hamas flew defiantly over the Palestinian parliament last night - a symbol of terror's triumph that stunned the world.
Hamas' landslide victory in the parliamentary elections shocked U.S. and Israeli officials, who went to bed with exit polls showing the ruling Fatah Party clinging to a slight lead - and woke up to a frightening new reality.

Fed up with rampant Fatah corruption, Palestinians voted overwhelmingly for militants bent on destroying Israel, who have sent waves of suicide bombers to attack Jewish civilians.

Hamas won 76 of the 132 seats - a margin that even surprised them.

"When we took part in the elections, we honestly expected to win but we did not expect to win by so much," said Osama Hamdan, the group's spokesman in Lebanon.

Bitter Israelis said Hamas' victory was a nail in the coffin of the Mideast peace process.

"It shows us the true face of the Palestinian people," said Benzi Ben-Shoham, whose sister was killed in a Hamas suicide bombing at a Jerusalem caf

Written By: Morton on 01/28/06 at 3:33 am

Wow, I was actually gonna start up a thread like this a while ago, but never got round to it...

Anyway, from yesterday's Sunderland Echo...

MOTHER STABBED IN GARDEN

Written By: danootaandme on 01/28/06 at 6:28 am

Milton is a wealthy community, this kid has his lawyer father to help him.  He also has a 2.8 GPA and thinks he deserves better.

Schoolboy's bias suit
Argues system is favoring girls

By Tracy Jan, Globe Staff  |  January 26, 2006

At Milton High School, girls outnumber boys by almost 2 to 1 on the honor roll. In Advanced Placement classes, almost 60 percent of the students are female.

It's not that girls are smarter than boys, said Doug Anglin, a 17-year-old senior at the high school.

Girls are outperforming boys because the school system favors them, said Anglin, who has filed a federal civil rights complaint contending that his school discriminates against boys.

Among Anglin's allegations: Girls face fewer restrictions from teachers, and girls are rewarded for abiding by the rules, while boys' more rebellious ways are punished.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/22/06 at 2:26 am

http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3580099a1869,00.html

Contentious cartoon to air tonight
22 February 2006
By DAN EATON

The controversial Bloody Mary episode of South Park will screen on C4 tonight after the Canadian-owned channel said it would air the show early to let Kiwis see "what all the fuss was about".

The move to run the cartoon showing the Virgin Mary menstruating has outraged many Catholics and drawn flack from a wide array of groups as well as Prime Minister Helen Clark, who says she finds it revolting and offensive to women.

Catholic Church in New Zealand spokeswoman Lindsay Freer said the move was an "arrogant, cynical and unethical" effort to capitalise on the debate and boost ratings.

"I can't use the words I'd like to use as they would be unprintable," she said.

"I think there will be many people in New Zealand who will be deeply offended by using toilet, menstrual humour involving Mary to illustrate a plot."

The CanWest-owned station said the transmission was being brought forward from next month as a matter of "democratic choice" to better inform the debate.

story contines... just click the above link

Check for new replies or respond here...