inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where You From, Player?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 2:20 pm

I'm a Westside Playa.

Subject: Re: Where You From, Player?

Written By: jackas on 01/22/06 at 2:58 pm

I'm from the 714 or the 909...whatever it is now, bia bia! ::) 

But I'm living in the 850 now, yo.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/22/06 at 5:31 pm

East Coast.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/22/06 at 5:32 pm

East Coast New Zealand (So, international would be my choice in the poll)

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/06 at 5:36 pm

Must be an American thing?  Guess I'd be International then  :-\\

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/22/06 at 6:03 pm

Midwest

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 6:15 pm

Midwest

Does Cleveland count as Midwest?  It's pretty far East.  Certainly Cincinnati, but Cleveland?

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/22/06 at 6:38 pm

Does Cleveland count as Midwest?  It's pretty far East.  Certainly Cincinnati, but Cleveland?

They've always said Ohio is a midwest state, so I guess.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 6:40 pm

Yeah, because it's a Northwest ordinance state.  I think it's odd how it's still considered to be the Central US, it's like in the middle of the East!  That's like called Utah a Midwestern state.

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/22/06 at 6:46 pm

Yeah, because it's a Northwest ordinance state.  I think it's odd how it's still considered to be the Central US, it's like in the middle of the East!  That's like called Utah a Midwestern state.

Yea, it is pretty far east, but we're definitely not the northeast or the mid atlantic, Ohio is pretty midwest like, though you're right that NE ohio is more east like than other parts of the state. It's more urban around here, and it's also very liberal compared to the rest of Ohio.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 6:49 pm

Yea, it is pretty far east, but we're definitely not the northeast or the mid atlantic, Ohio is pretty midwest like, though you're right that NE ohio is more east like than other parts of the state. It's more urban around here, and it's also very liberal compared to the rest of Ohio.

That's true, even though Ohio is as far east as Georgia much of the state looks like Illinois or Indiana.  I would say it is in many ways culturally closer to PA than Iowa, but then again I've never been there.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/22/06 at 7:39 pm

Westside

Written By: DJ Midas on 01/22/06 at 8:18 pm

Westsiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!  'Cuz it's the best side, foo'!

Written By: gemini on 01/22/06 at 8:19 pm

I'm from closer to the Cincinnati area, and we're considered midwest. I always thought it was strange that Ohio was considered midwest.  :-\\

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 9:09 pm

Since Canada is a foreign country, I'm a International Player.

This goes out to my homies in the Great White North!  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 9:11 pm

I'm from closer to the Cincinnati area, and we're considered midwest. I always thought it was strange that Ohio was considered midwest.  :-\\

They're like as far east as Georgia!  You might as well call Utah the Midwest.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/22/06 at 9:27 pm

eastside, baby! lol! :D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/22/06 at 11:08 pm

Midwest.

I'm the goofy player, yo.  ;)

Written By: YWN on 01/23/06 at 7:49 am

Wait...I...actually took this poll!?  :-[

...Southside, by the way.  Homie livin' in Alabama.

Written By: Tam on 01/23/06 at 9:51 am

Hmmm....

South MidWest Playa in da howse!!! 8) ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/23/06 at 5:45 pm

Northwest

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/23/06 at 6:23 pm

I'm Westside all the way! Born and raised, yo!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/23/06 at 6:27 pm

I'm Westside all the way! Born and raised, yo!

Walnut Creek?  I lived in Concord from 1995 to 1998, maybe I've seen you before!  :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/23/06 at 6:44 pm

Walnut Creek?  I lived in Concord from 1995 to 1998, maybe I've seen you before!  :D

Oh yeah, wow, that's a real coincidence there! It's a great area to live. Even leaving outside of this area feels so foreign to me. I still am amazed with the beauty of our mountain (as Bad-fingerFan can attest to) and the area's ever changing scenery.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/23/06 at 6:47 pm

Oh yeah, wow, that's a real coincidence there! It's a great area to live. Even leaving outside of this area feels so foreign to me. I still am amazed with the beauty of our mountain (as Bad-fingerFan can attest to) and the area's ever changing scenery.

You notice how in the Bay Area if you go 8 miles away it feels like what 100 miles would anywhere else?  In Oregon, where I live now, 20 miles is almost nothing, but in the Bay Area it could mean the difference between San Francisco and Orinda!

Is the mountain you're talking about good 'ol Mount Diablo?  I went to the summit once, back around 1996 or 1997.  How is it changing?  I haven't been back for nearly 4 years.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/23/06 at 7:08 pm

You notice how in the Bay Area if you go 8 miles away it feels like what 100 miles would anywhere else?  In Oregon, where I live now, 20 miles is almost nothing, but in the Bay Area it could mean the difference between San Francisco and Orinda!

Is the mountain you're talking about good 'ol Mount Diablo?  I went to the summit once, back around 1996 or 1997.  How is it changing?  I haven't been back for nearly 4 years.

Exactly - You hit it right on the nail! There are parts of North Carolina that maybe took hours to realize I was in a much different region, but in reality, it was just so - "Blah" for the most part. But, traveling throughout California, there's so much to see (well, omit maybe highway 5 which can be just as "Blah" as some other boring highways), but it's like a magical kingdom - always coming across someplace you'd never expect to come across.

Yes, Mt. Diablo is the one. I went to the summit for the first time in 2004, I believe. Shoulda been there a long time before that, but never got the chance. It hasn't changed much. It's still beautiful all year round :0)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/23/06 at 7:14 pm

Exactly - You hit it right on the nail! There are parts of North Carolina that maybe took hours to realize I was in a much different region, but in reality, it was just so - "Blah" for the most part. But, traveling throughout California, there's so much to see (well, omit maybe highway 5 which can be just as "Blah" as some other boring highways), but it's like a magical kingdom - always coming across someplace you'd never expect to come across.

Yes, Mt. Diablo is the one. I went to the summit for the first time in 2004, I believe. Shoulda been there a long time before that, but never got the chance. It hasn't changed much. It's still beautiful all year round :0)

I think it's because the bay area is "Balkanised" by the Bay itself and by all the little mountain and hill ranges, and also because traffic makes travel slower (unless you go on BART).  You can be in downtown San Francisco, a redwood forest, suburban San Jose, a farm, and the top of a mountain all in one day in the Bay Area, whereas in say the Midwest you might not find anything but farms and towns for 200 miles.

Oregon basically has six regions: The Coast, the Willamette Valley, Southern Oregon, Portland-Columbia Gorge, the Cascades, and Eastern Oregon which is mostly high desert and comprises most of Oregon's land area.  California is much more diverse.

Written By: PaperGirl on 01/23/06 at 10:17 pm

;D

Right now I think Im pretty far south...

Written By: danootaandme on 01/24/06 at 6:43 am

Northwest

How you figure?  New York City is almost as NorthEast as Boston, and you don't get much more NorthEast than that.

Written By: witchain on 01/24/06 at 6:51 am

Surfin' the Great Lakes...

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 01/24/06 at 10:23 am

Fo Shizzle

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/06 at 11:57 am

International representative!

Written By: Howard on 01/24/06 at 12:49 pm

How you figure?  New York City is almost as NorthEast as Boston, and you don't get much more NorthEast than that.

Well I live in the North so it has to be The Northwest.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/24/06 at 12:50 pm

If New York is the northwestern US then I live in Valinor  ;D

It's a Tolkien thing.

Written By: Howard on 01/24/06 at 12:52 pm

If New York is the northwestern US then I live in Valinor  ;D

It's a Tolkien thing.

I think The Northwest

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/24/06 at 12:55 pm

I think The Northwest

Well, technically New York is the Northwest.  It's in the Northwest quadrant of the planet. 

But you're sure east of me!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/24/06 at 1:00 pm

Well, technically New York is the Northwest.  It's in the Northwest quadrant of the planet. 

But you're sure east of me!  ;D

Where do you live?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/24/06 at 1:24 pm

Where do you live?

I live in Oregon, dude. Represent the Hood-Woods!  8)

Written By: Step-chan on 01/24/06 at 1:41 pm

Midwest.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/24/06 at 1:59 pm

Well, if you're just considering the continental United States, Howard, where you live, you are considered the North East or just the Eastern part of the US. North West would be conisdered Washingtion State, Oregon and parts of California and Vancouver, Canada.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/24/06 at 2:06 pm

Well, if you're just considering the continental United States, Howard, where you live, you are considered the North East or just the Eastern part of the US. North West would be conisdered Washingtion State, Oregon and parts of California and Vancouver, Canada.

I'd also include northern Idaho and the northwest corner of Montana (ie Glacier, Missoula).

To me the PCW is:

*All of Washington
*British Columbia
*Alaska Panhandle
*All of Oregon, except Malheur County (near Boise)
*Northern California, Bay Area/Yosemite upwards
*Reno, NV
*Idaho Panhandle
*NW Montana (west of Continental Divide)

Directly east of PNW is the Upper Midwest or Mountain West, depending on where you are.

Check for new replies or respond here...