inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why is there so little mayhem here compared to other boards?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/24/06 at 12:19 am

I think it's because we're almost ... like a family here.  We learn to "know" the other members, and thus don't have the heart to harass and spam them.

Subject: Re: Why is there so little mayhem here compared to other boards?

Written By: whistledog on 01/24/06 at 12:22 am

I've been members of other boards, and I can tell you first hand, there is so much mayham at a few of them.  When I joined this place, I was surprised to see such a fun, friendly environment that had little or no drama at all :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/24/06 at 1:14 am

There are some softball boards I used to frequent where the mayhem and smacktalk got tiresome mean spirited and it's not fun to be insulted or when all you do is come on to insult people. If that's all that comes out of a person, just a spew of negativity, then I'm out. I feel like I can relax here, talk, share stories, be entertained, laugh, test knowledge, play games, enjoy everyones creativity, it's a nice diversion from mayhem. People feel a sense of comfort here, like theres a code, or lines that people intuitively know not to cross, and when they do intentionally or accidentlly, people let you know.  good question Donnie

Written By: ADH13 on 01/24/06 at 1:20 am

You guys obviously haven't been in the political board lately. ::)

It's funny how people always say they don't like the drama... yet when it's happening, everyone is constantly in the thread where the drama is. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/24/06 at 1:24 am

Me in the political board is like N'Sync as the opening act for Metallica  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/24/06 at 1:25 am

It's funny how people always say they don't like the drama... yet when it's happening, everyone is constantly in the thread where the drama is. ;D

Yeah the politics board is full of mayhem, but even it's better than most board in the Eeen-ternet.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/24/06 at 1:30 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/24/06 at 1:33 am

Well, I guess there's a reason for a separate board for the Politics stuff. I dabbled into those for a few weeks and I noticed my blood pressure getting high whenever I started debating with people. I just left it "to each his own" I mean, basically you can *choose* to be there or not, but if you want light hearted fun, then stay in the Playful pengun boards.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/24/06 at 1:45 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/24/06 at 3:27 am

;D  ;D  thats a good analogy

I've taken a peek or 2 and don't care to engage. Too much intensity, I'm here for the fun. 
that's there for those that want to have a battle of wits or debate. I like it out here.
I used to go in there quite a bit, but gave up. Way too intense, and me being quite neutral on most things, it didn't work out.  ::)

That's when I moved to the PPP.

Written By: Morton on 01/24/06 at 5:52 am

blech... politics  :P

I used to post in AmIRight, but it bored me. Dunno why, but for some reason the parodists aren't as funny and as friendly as the people here...

Written By: La Roche on 01/24/06 at 7:51 am

LOL actually Body Count opened for them in 1991... which is just as odd as N'Sync :)

Not really, Body count were a Rap-Metal band. With some actual musical talent as opposed to a synth and a beat.  ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/24/06 at 12:49 pm

I apologize to EVERYONE for my role in the "mayhem" (since my original apology was deleted out of a response and I deleted the original post after being asked to) :-\\

It's cool :)

Written By: Howard on 01/24/06 at 12:54 pm

Cause We're a Messageboard Family and we try to get along as best as we can. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/06 at 1:11 pm

This board has had its share of mayhem. It goes in cycles, things heat up, then someone (or many) leaves/banned, matters are discussed, and then we move on-until the next time (even though there were some people having a hard time moving on from the last time). In between these incidents, we have the political boards. Yes, it can get heated-and to some, that is the fun of discussing politics. You can count that there will be another incident in the future.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/24/06 at 1:16 pm

Well..my opinion (for what it's worth) is everybody is welcome here, and your (and my) eccentricities are accepted, up until you really really start pushing the envelope or it's obvious that you are just begging for attention then (and even then) you dealt with for a lot longer then most places deal with misfit toys.

I feel welcome here, even though I don't know anybody that well yet, so it's nice.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/24/06 at 1:23 pm

This board has had its share of mayhem. It goes in cycles, things heat up, then someone (or many) leaves/banned, matters are discussed, and then we move on-until the next time (even though there were some people having a hard time moving on from the last time). In between these incidents, we have the political boards. Yes, it can get heated-and to some, that is the fun of discussing politics. You can count that there will be another incident in the future.

Cat

That's true.  Who have we lost in the past due to feuds? 

But, it's almost always in a respectful way, only rarely is it like constant flaming and trolling, you know it's more just a heated/angry argument and then someone leaves in bitterness.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/24/06 at 1:28 pm

I'd like to think it has something to do with what I consider the cardinal rule of this site, and the one I enforce above all else:

"No personal attacks"

Once you allow people to begin the name calling, things degrade really quickly.

Written By: Howard on 01/24/06 at 1:45 pm

That's true.  Who have we lost in the past due to feuds? 

But, it's almost always in a respectful way, only rarely is it like constant flaming and trolling, you know it's more just a heated/angry argument and then someone leaves in bitterness.

We lost a few people due to feuds.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/24/06 at 1:53 pm

I have been on some viscious boards. I use to post on the Oakland A's boards and when the Yankees were beating us a few years back in the play offs, things got real dirty. I tried to state my case there, but I think some people are too hard headed.

The same goes for the AOL chat rooms. I use to be on those for about a month (when I was very new to the internet in 1999) They were fun and lighthearted, like this board, and then I began noticing that people were only that way for so long.

I can no longer go in those. I absolutely despise them. 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/24/06 at 2:08 pm

I'd like to think it has something to do with what I consider the cardinal rule of this site, and the one I enforce above all else:

"No personal attacks"

Once you allow people to begin the name calling, things degrade really quickly.

You don't a problem with my "Flame Club", do you?  Since that it meant simply as an outlet of anger/joke and by rule does not spread into other threads.

Written By: whistledog on 01/24/06 at 2:08 pm

I once belonged to a board that was all fun and games.  It was a real great place until things got real nasty, and long time members were leaving by the truckload.  I like messageboards where you can have fun talking about things you like and not be criticized for things you like.  

Written By: Marian on 01/24/06 at 3:45 pm

because there's rules? :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/24/06 at 4:50 pm

because there's rules? :D

I think that's what it really comes down to - plain and simple!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/24/06 at 7:45 pm

This is the first messageboard that I've belonged to, so I have nothing to compare it with.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/24/06 at 7:49 pm

It's good, the mods here are actually reasonable. Unlike some boards where the mods are way too laid back, and others where the mods are way too strict.

Written By: Bobo on 01/25/06 at 12:40 am

The real reason we don't got no pushin' and shovin' in here is because we're a family. Just like a family we've experienced the happiness of gaining people, and the sadness of losing people. Having been around this place longer than most, I've seen several people come and go and the family unity has remained.

And just like a family we can lend an ear, a hand, a shoulder, or give help to those when they most need it. Sure, there are rules, but if we all had to check what the rules were at any time we wouldn't be a messageboard. The rules themselves should be obvious.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/25/06 at 2:12 am

The real reason we don't got no pushin' and shovin' in here is because we're a family. Just like a family we've experienced the happiness of gaining people, and the sadness of losing people. Having been around this place longer than most, I've seen several people come and go and the family unity has remained.

And just like a family we can lend an ear, a hand, a shoulder, or give help to those when they most need it. Sure, there are rules, but if we all had to check what the rules were at any time we wouldn't be a messageboard. The rules themselves should be obvious.
excellent observance from a seasoned vet. well said Bobo

Written By: Howard on 01/25/06 at 5:10 pm

We're A Family Board :)

Written By: KKay on 01/26/06 at 12:50 pm

some of them are over sensitive...I once got kicked out for typing the word 'cocktail'...

but some places are infiltrated by kids or frat boys or perverts...and they spread the immaturity and the violence.

Written By: Howard on 01/26/06 at 2:48 pm

some of them are over sensitive...I once got kicked out for typing the word 'cocktail'...

but some places are infiltrated by kids or frat boys or perverts...and they spread the immaturity and the violence.

That's why we spread the love ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...