inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: T-shirt update

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/24/06 at 1:43 pm

Well, it's been a few weeks since it was first brought up, and I still haven't produced any. Here's a quick breakdown of what's going on.

1) Still haven't decided on a site motto.  Some of the proposed ones have been good (most are just silly, or too generic).  So that's a big bottleneck in the process right there. 

2) I plan on doing more than just a logo/motto.  Or at least I think I want more. I'm going to experiment further on that.

3) I also want to try my hand at doing them myself.  This is a big change from what I planned on originally.  Lately I've been in a total DIY mode for stuff.  Since I know people would be interested in buying them I can justify the expense of buying the ink, etc.  This is of course provided they come ok, and are comparable to what you could buy from an online source. I figure I could sell them for $8 or $9 a piece, which wouldn't be more than the cost of the shirt and ink.  The online stuff like cafepress isn't silk screened (iron-on quality) and the silk screened ones from spreadshirt would be at least twice that much.  Of course, if I try it and it looks like crap, I wouldn't try selling them at all either. *IF* I do them myself, I could of course do any color and size shirt.

Right now, I'm planning on doing these for black t-shirts.  If I can't decide on what to do for making these myself in a week or two, I'll just go with the online stuff and let someone else go about the work or printing them.  I've read several online tutorials, and I think the hardest part is just deciding which ink to try using, what the differences between them are, etc.  I used to print up designs when I was in high school, but never did the actual screening myself, which is one of the reasons I want to try it now.  I have the room to set something up, and I can certainly do the initial construction stuff (building a frame, making a work stand, etc).

Subject: Re: T-shirt update

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/24/06 at 2:09 pm

Right on ChuckyG, I like black myself, so I'm pleased with the choice of color. As for the DIY, hopefully it turns out good, & you feel satisifed with your work, sounds like you will be busy. How will you arrange for payment, or is that too far ahead to think about? Count me in for 1 shirt,
"No matter What"  :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/24/06 at 2:23 pm

Right on ChuckyG, I like black myself, so I'm pleased with the choice of color. As for the DIY, hopefully it turns out good, & you feel satisifed with your work, sounds like you will be busy. How will you arrange for payment, or is that too far ahead to think about? Count me in for 1 shirt,
"No matter What"  :)

I'd probably do paypal or money order, which is how I've handled online auctions on ebay in the past.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/24/06 at 2:32 pm

Chucky, I did some silk-screening a few years ago as well as in high school.  It's not too difficult once you get the hang of it.  Of course, the hardest part is cutting the template for the screen.  Hubby's best friend owns a printing business....I'll see what he recommends ;)

I've been reading about the photo emulsion technique.  You print out each layer on a transparency and expose the emulsion to light, then wash off whatever doesn't get exposed.  Since it would have text lettering, it really needs to be sharp.  Otherwise I could get away with a stencil technique which would probably be really easy to learn.

Of course, the difference in what a pro does, and a rank amateur at home with equipment he'll build himself is probably a world of difference.

The coolest thing about it, is that once I get comfortable with it, I could print the logo out in whatever colors I have, so people could pick a really custom shirt.  I think you can even get glitter/metallic inks, etc.  Stuff you couldn't do for an affordable cost in a small print run or with an online site.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/25/06 at 2:21 pm

The bad thing about the stencil technique and lettering is getting everything lined up when you transfer the stencil.  I've never done the photo-emulsion technique, but it sounds easier.

Yeah, you can get glitter/metallics, but they're kinda hard to work with because sometimes it tends to get stuck in the silk.  Although, you CAN do a really cool tie-dye effect 8)

Well I ordered a kit today off of ebay.  It's not an expensive one, just a screen with a small amount of ink and emulsion fluid.  It's just enough to get started, so I can get a feel for what's involved.  I'll probably try my hand at it next weekend.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/06 at 4:33 pm

Good Luck Chuck.Hope everything works out. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...