inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Let's Make Fun of the Americans

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/24/06 at 2:25 pm

"Yeah, I be drivin' my SUV, destroying the planet is cool."

Subject: Re: Let's Make Fun of the Americans

Written By: YWN on 01/24/06 at 2:27 pm

Jealous?

It's a well known fact that average American hygeine is approximately 2.4 times better than yours.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/24/06 at 2:28 pm

Jealous?

It's a well known fact that average American hygeine is approximately 2.4 times better than yours.

I am American  ;D

Written By: Tia on 01/24/06 at 2:30 pm

hey! where's the love? when the right-wing crackdown comes we're all gonna have to stick together. dag.

i'm with ya about the SUVs though. pain in the butt. a lot of times i park in a free and clear spot, and then when i come back out two huge suvs have parked on either side of me and when i pull back out it's pretty much an act of faith cuz i can't see dik on either side.

Written By: YWN on 01/24/06 at 2:32 pm

I am American  ;D

I know.

Written By: whistledog on 01/24/06 at 2:39 pm

hey! where's the love? when the right-wing crackdown comes we're all gonna have to stick together. dag.

i'm with ya about the SUVs though. pain in the butt. a lot of times i park in a free and clear spot, and then when i come back out two huge suvs have parked on either side of me and when i pull back out it's pretty much an act of faith cuz i can't see dik on either side.

Once, as I was coming out of Wal-Mart, I witnessed a giant SUV pulling in beside my car, which made it very difficult for me to get into my car.  I could tell he did it on purpose because there was no car in the adjacent spot to the one he pulled into, and he pulled real close to me.  So as I opened my door, I "accidentally" keyed his car  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/06 at 2:41 pm

Letter from John Cleese

To the citizens of the United States of America, in light of your failure to
elect a competent President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we
hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective today,
25 October 2005.

Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II resumes monarchical duties over all
states, commonwealths and other territories. Except Utah, which she does not
fancy.

Your new prime minister (The Right Honourable Tony Blair, MP for the 97.8%
of you who have, until now, been unaware there's a world outside your
borders) will appoint a Minister for America. Congress and the Senate are
disbanded. A questionnaire circulated next year will determine whether any
of you noticed.

To aid your transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules
are introduced with immediate effect:

1. Look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Check "aluminium"
in the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you
pronounce it. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'favour'
and 'neighbour'. Likewise you will learn to spell 'doughnut' without
skipping half the letters. Generally, you should raise your vocabulary to
acceptable levels. Look up "vocabulary".  Using the same twenty-seven words
interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an
unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. Look up "interspersed".

There will be no more 'bleeps' in the Jerry Springer show. If you're not old
enough to cope with bad language then you should not have chat shows.

2. There is no such thing as "U.S. English". We'll let Microsoft know on
your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take account of
the reinstated letter 'u'.

3. You should learn to distinguish English and Australian accents. It really
isn't that hard. English accents are not limited to cockney, upper-class
twit, or Mancunian (Daphne in Frasier). Scottish dramas such as 'Taggart'
will no longer be broadcast with subtitles.  You must learn that there is no
such place as Devonshire in England. The name of the county is "Devon". If
you persist in calling it Devonshire, all American States will become
"shires" e.g. Texasshire Floridashire, Louisianashire.

4. You should relearn your original national anthem, "God Save The Queen",
but only after fully carrying out task 1.

5. You should stop playing American "football". There's only one kind of
football. What you call American "football" is not a very good game. The
2.1% of you aware there is a world outside your borders may have noticed no
one else plays "American" football. You should instead play proper football.

Initially, it would be best if you played with the girls.  Those of you
brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which is similar to
American "football", but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty
seconds or wearing full Kevlar body armour like nancies). You should stop
playing baseball. It's not reasonable to host an event called the 'World
Series' for a game which is not played outside of America.  Instead of
baseball, you will be allowed to play a girls' game called "rounders", which
is baseball without fancy team stripe, oversized gloves, collector cards, or
hotdogs.

6. You will no longer be allowed to own or carry guns or anything more
dangerous in public than a vegetable peeler. Because you are not sensible
enough to handle potentially dangerous items, you will need a permit to
carry a vegetable peeler.

7. July 4th is no longer a public holiday. October 25th will be a new
national holiday. It will be called "Indecisive Day".

8. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and it is for your own
good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean. All
road intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start
driving on the left. At the same time, you will go metric without the
benefit of conversion tables. Roundabouts and metrication will help you
understand the British sense of humour.

9. Learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are not real
chips. Fries aren't French, they're Belgian though 97.8% of you (including
the guy who discovered fries while in Europe) are not aware of a country
called Belgium. Potato chips are properly called "crisps." Real chips are
thick cut and fried in animal fat. The traditional accompaniment to chips is
beer which should be served warm and flat.

10. The cold tasteless stuff you call beer is actually lager. Only proper
British Bitter will be referred to as "beer". Substances once known as
"American Beer" will henceforth be referred to as "Near-Frozen Gnat's
Urine", except for the product of the American Budweiser Company which will
be called "Weak Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine." This will allow true Budweiser
(as manufactured for the last 1000 years in Pilsen, Czech Republic) to be
sold without risk of confusion.

11. The UK will harmonise petrol prices (or "Gasoline", as you will be
permitted to keep calling it) for those of the former USA, adopting UK
petrol prices (roughly $6/US gallon, get used to it).

12. Learn to resolve personal issues without guns, lawyers, or therapists.
That you need so many lawyers and therapists shows you're not adult enough
to be independent. If you're not adult enough to sort things out without
suing someone or speaking to a therapist, you're not grown up enough to
handle a gun.

13. Please tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us crazy.

14. Tax collectors from Her Majesty's Government will be with you shortly to
ensure the acquisition of all revenues due (backdated to 1776).

Thank you for your co-operation.

John Cleese

Cat

Written By: Tia on 01/24/06 at 2:49 pm

3. You should learn to distinguish English and Australian accents. It really
isn't that hard. English accents are not limited to cockney, upper-class
twit, or Mancunian (Daphne in Frasier). Scottish dramas such as 'Taggart'
will no longer be broadcast with subtitles.  You must learn that there is no
such place as Devonshire in England. The name of the county is "Devon". If
you persist in calling it Devonshire, all American States will become
"shires" e.g. Texasshire Floridashire, Louisianashire.

i remember i was hanging out with some folks in london and i forget the circumstance but one of em had occasion to imitate an american accent and it came out all weird texas drawl-y but with that london-accent undertone and it was HILARIOUS. i was a bit tipsy and at least three or four more times entreated her to "hey, do your american accent again," but she was wise that i was making fun. anyway, i tried to do a british accent at one point and the whole table fell silent and looked over at me so i guess i was in my own way as bad at imitating them as she was imitating us.

13. Please tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us crazy.

OMG ME TOO. i happen to be high school friends with the woman who wrote that book "blowing my cover," about the CIA. so we were hanging out one night winin' and chattin' on her front stoop and i was all, c'mon, lindsay, what's with that whole JFK thing, that was you guys, right? between me, you, and the pavement? but she wasn't fessin' up. i know she knows!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/24/06 at 2:58 pm

...Baaaahh!!111

*Windmill kicks Donnie Darko in the FACE!!1*

Written By: Morton on 01/24/06 at 3:05 pm

All these "Let's Make Fun of..." threads are a bit much...

Let's compromise and create a "Let's Make Fun of the French" thread  :D

Written By: YWN on 01/24/06 at 3:06 pm

All these "Let's Make Fun of..." threads are a bit much...

Let's compromise and create a "Let's Make Fun of the French" thread  :D

Nah, that's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Written By: Morton on 01/24/06 at 3:07 pm

Nah, that's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Oh come on, seriously, who likes the French? They smell (metaphorically speaking)

Written By: Tia on 01/24/06 at 3:12 pm

i like making fun of germans. when i went to germany everybody was all, don't mention the war! don't mention the war! and then i went there and EVERYBODY KEPT MENTIONING THE VAR. they were all, "vot do you zink of 'saving private ryan'? ve dont like eet very much." and OMG! i was having tea with a friend of mine and her family and her uncle was all, vot do you zink of our deutschland so far? and i said, oh, i love it here. and he says, "vell, vy voodnt you? you are coming here as zuh vinner." frankly, i was shocked into silence.

Written By: Morton on 01/24/06 at 3:14 pm

i like making fun of germans. when i went to germany everybody was all, don't mention the war! don't mention the war! and then i went there and EVERYBODY KEPT MENTIONING THE VAR. they were all, "vot do you zink of 'saving private ryan'? ve dont like eet very much." and OMG! i was having tea with a friend of mine and her family and her uncle was all, vot do you zink of our deutschland so far? and i said, oh, i love it here. and he says, "vell, vy voodnt you? you are coming here as zuh vinner." frankly, i was shocked into silence.

Meh. The Germans are all arseholes

Written By: Tia on 01/24/06 at 3:17 pm

i actually found the germans on the whole much friendlier and personable than the french. but then again i had hosts in germany, in france i was just a smelly imperialist american pig on his own butchering the native tongue. "juh voodray trouvay oon dicksheeonair american-fransez?"

Written By: Morton on 01/24/06 at 3:19 pm

i actually found the germans on the whole much friendlier and personable than the french. but then again i had hosts in germany, in france i was just a smelly imperialist american pig on his own butchering the native tongue. "juh voodray trouvay oon dicksheeonair american-fransez?"

Meh. The French are ignorant, boring, miserable arseholes with an attitude problem

Written By: Tia on 01/24/06 at 3:29 pm

Meh. The French are ignorant, boring, miserable arseholes with an attitude problem

lol! i'm starting to detect a pattern.

i remember i was also talking with somebody in london, mentioned, oh, some t.v. show, i think it was "the avengers" or something, and i was all, oh, i really didn't care for it much. and he goes, "WHY? BECAUSE IT'S BRITISH?!" i seem to remember him actually rising up in his chair a bit. i was like dag, touchy. one advantage of being one of the 98.6% of americans who aren't aware of the outside world is that i don't really get a lot of this defensive national rivalry stuff. i get the impression that that's why football is so big in europe, it's a good way of acting out national rivalries.

yes, i'm picking europe's brain now.

Written By: Morton on 01/24/06 at 3:31 pm

i remember i was also talking with somebody in london, mentioned, oh, some t.v. show, i think it was "the avengers" or something, and i was all, oh, i really didn't care for it much. and he goes, "WHY? BECAUSE IT'S BRITISH?!" i seem to remember him actually rising up in his chair a bit. i was like dag, touchy. one advantage of being one of the 98.6% of americans who aren't aware of the outside world is that i don't really get a lot of this defensive national rivalry stuff. i get the impression that that's why football is so big in europe, it's a good way of acting out national rivalries.

yes, i'm picking europe's brain now.

Meh. The Avengers are badly-acted arseholes

Arctic Monkeys. Everything that is good about British Rock... I have to pick up their album at some point (starts singing "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor)

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/24/06 at 6:16 pm

Oh come on, seriously, who likes the French? They smell (metaphorically speaking)

Well, I sorta am French...

Just joshin'!

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/25/06 at 8:43 am

When I was in Germany, I was sitting in a bar and struck up a conversation with one of the locals. He spoke English very well and seemed to be well-educated, and the conversation started out pleasant enough, but then for some reason it turned to politics and he started rattling off all of these reasons that America was evil (we stole the land from the Indians, how slavery used to be legal, how we always try to be the world's poliemen, and a bunch of other things I can't remember) and since I was in the military he was kind of tacitly implying that I was somehow in part responsible for all these atrocities. This went on for about 10 or 15 minutes when I finally said something like, "I agree that America isn't perfect, and that we've done a lot of bad things in our past. But then again, you weren't exactly perfect yourselves. After all, weren't you the same people who killed six million Jews?" He got really quiet for a second (although I think that he was half-expecting me to bring up the Nazi thing) and then he backed off.  He didn't get mad, if anything I think he respected me for standing up for myself, and he turned out to be pretty cool, and we hung out until the bar closed.
    I actually liked most of the Germans I met, they seemed pretty laid back and friendly. 

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/25/06 at 9:30 am

i remember i was also talking with somebody in london, mentioned, oh, some t.v. show, i think it was "the avengers" or something, and i was all, oh, i really didn't care for it much. and he goes, "WHY? BECAUSE IT'S BRITISH?!" i seem to remember him actually rising up in his chair a bit. i was like dag, touchy. one advantage of being one of the 98.6% of americans who aren't aware of the outside world is that i don't really get a lot of this defensive national rivalry stuff.
I haven't had a whole lot of experience with Brits, but I get the impression that they try to act a lot more macho than other Europeans, and although I've never had any real trouble with them I definitely got the sense that they feel the need to prove their toughness when they're when they're around Americans.
    One time, when I was in the Army (in Germany), my platoon convoyed to an RAF base where we were scheduled to spend the night. Naturally, some of us wanted to get a drink, and although the sergeant in charge OK'd it, he also gave us a warning that the Brits like to start sh*t with Americans and that we should watch ourselves. About 6 or 7 of us walked down to the pub, ordered some beers (oops...I mean ales), and sat down at this big table. Almost immediately about 6 or 7 British airmen sat down with us and right away started giving us a hard time. For the most part it seemed like friendly ball-busting, but there was this one big guy who, in a think Scottish brogue, said to me (I was wearing glasses at the time) "Let me see your goggles (actually it sounded more like "guggles"), ya four-eyed c*nt." I thought what he said was so funny that I wasn't even insulted by it. It did seem a little tense at first, but we also had the sense that they were just sizing us up a bit and we gave as good as we got (with a lot of Monty Python and Benny Hill jokes at their expense). Finally their sergeant said, "You know, these guys are almost as big of bastards as we are," and they were really cool after that. We wound up having a good time drinking with them, and I really enjoyed their British wit.

(I actually think "The Avengers," at least the episodes with Diana Rigg/Emma Peel, is a way cool show.)

i get the impression that that's why football is so big in europe, it's a good way of acting out national rivalries.

I was in Germany when they won the World Cup in 1991, and during the championship game I went to this little German snack bar/grill (which they called an "imbiss") to get a bratwurst, some fries, and a beer. There were about 3 or 4 Germans who ran this stand, and they were all huddled around this little TV intently watching the World Cup final. I stood there for a minute or two waiting to get served, and finally this little old lady got up to take my order. At first I was a little impatient, and the first thing that came to my mind was, "Who cares about a stupid soccer game?" But then after I thought about it for a few seconds I realized, "This is almost exactly what it would be like if I was back home in Nebraska and the Huskers were playing for the national championship." (In football, that is--up to that point Nebraska hadn't won a title since 1971.) Instantly I could understand just how much it meant to them, I could feel the excitement in the air, and I told the lady to take her time, that I was in no hurry whatsoever, and I even started getting into the game a little bit.
    After Germany won the game, the whole town that I was stationed in went completely apesh*t. There were people driving around, honking their horns and waving German flags, and after I had figured out the college football analogy I was really happy for them and I started celebrating right along with them and I even gave out a few hi-fives.
    As it turned out, Nebraska did win the national championship in football a few years later, and although the sport and the language were completely different, the scene in downtown Lincoln was almost identical to what I had seen a few years before in downtown Giessen.  :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/25/06 at 12:32 pm

When I was in Germany, I was sitting in a bar and struck up a conversation with one of the locals. He spoke English very well and seemed to be well-educated, and the conversation started out pleasant enough, but then for some reason it turned to politics and he started rattling off all of these reasons that America was evil (we stole the land from the Indians, how slavery used to be legal, how we always try to be the world's poliemen, and a bunch of other things I can't remember) and since I was in the military he was kind of tacitly implying that I was somehow in part responsible for all these atrocities. This went on for about 10 or 15 minutes when I finally said something like, "I agree that America isn't perfect, and that we've done a lot of bad things in our past. But then again, you weren't exactly perfect yourselves. After all, weren't you the same people who killed six million Jews?" He got really quiet for a second (although I think that he was half-expecting me to bring up the Nazi thing) and then he backed off.  He didn't get mad, if anything I think he respected me for standing up for myself, and he turned out to be pretty cool, and we hung out until the bar closed.
     I actually liked most of the Germans I met, they seemed pretty laid back and friendly. 

You know, I like modern Germany.  Very laid back, "slacker" sort of country.  And besides, the Holocaust was over 60 years ago; most of the Nazis are dead now.

Written By: Tia on 01/25/06 at 12:42 pm

You know, I like modern Germany.  Very laid back, "slacker" sort of country.  And besides, the Holocaust was over 60 years ago; most of the Nazis are dead now.

when i went i went to leipzig in the old east germany. that was my impression, people were pretty mellow and not uptight. although there was a lot of nostalgia for the old communist regime, that sorta surprised me. of coruse, reunification hasn't been the flawless lovefest everyone was expecting.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/25/06 at 12:43 pm

I don't understand why people get it enthralled with sports. I don't guess I ever will.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/25/06 at 12:43 pm

when i went i went to leipzig in the old east germany. that was my impression, people were pretty mellow and not uptight. although there was a lot of nostalgia for the old communist regime, that sorta surprised me. of coruse, reunification hasn't been the flawless lovefest everyone was expecting.

The Cold War never really ended.  It just shifted to the Far East.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/25/06 at 1:52 pm

I don't understand why people get it enthralled with sports. I don't guess I ever will.
What's wrong with enjoying sports?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/25/06 at 5:30 pm

Speaking of France....

I had a memorable moment, when I was there.

I tried ordering in French, but couldn't and got yelled at for not odering properly.  ::)

Written By: Tia on 01/26/06 at 12:15 pm

i find watching sports very relaxing. which i think demonstrates that i don't get it either, because the sports fans i see typically don't seem very relaxed about it.

i mean watching that ball go back and forth is soothing, almost hypnotic. plus the athletes are working real hard and i'm typically not (c.f. the part where i'm a slacker) so i find that rather soothing too, in a sucks-to-be-them schadenfreude kinda way.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/26/06 at 12:23 pm

What's wrong with enjoying sports?

I didnt say there was anything wrong with it. I just don't get sports is all. They've never exited me at all. And I've been dragged a few high school games(big deal here in Tx), a college game, and on a field trip in high school we saw the Houston Texans play the New York Jets.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/26/06 at 1:17 pm

I didnt say there was anything wrong with it. I just don't get sports is all. They've never exited me at all. And I've been dragged a few high school games(big deal here in Tx), a college game, and on a field trip in high school we saw the Houston Texans play the New York Jets.
No problem. If you read between the lines, the main point of my post was that I found some common ground with some people of a different culture, that some things are universal, and that it was neat to share that experience with them.  I had a lot of other great experiences hanging out with Germans, and I sincerely hope that sometime in your life you can find the opportunity to travel or study abroad, which is something I think everyone should do at least once in their lives if they can find the means. I don't know what your interests or passions are, but it's really great when you can find some people in a foreign land who share those interests.

(By the way, I can see where it might be hard to get excited about the Houston Texans.  ;D ;D ;D)

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/26/06 at 1:26 pm

How long ago were you there? I left Germany in 1992, and while I was there the former East Germany was in a sorry state of disrepair due to 40 years of neglect by the communists. (When I was in East Berlin in 1990, the tour guide pointed out a scarred-up section of a wall and told the group I was with that those were bullet holes from WWII that had never been patched up.) I never went to Leipzig, but I'm curious as to what condition it was in when you were there.

Written By: Tia on 01/26/06 at 1:29 pm

How long ago were you there? I left Germany in 1992, and while I was there the former East Germany was in a sorry state of disrepair due to 40 years of neglect by the communists. (When I was in East Berlin in 1990, the tour guide pointed out a scarred-up section of a wall and told the group I was with that those were bullet holes from WWII that had never been patched up.) I never went to Leipzig, but I'm curious as to what condition it was in when you were there.

1999, i think? it was around then. the folks i stayed with were pretty well-to-do, the city itself was in pretty good repair and fairly safe -- there was a lot of wacky architecture from when they rebuilt from all the bombing after the war. i heard there was a lot of problems with skinheads and stuff but never ran into any myself. which is good cause i was the feckless american guy, just the sort they'd wanna knock around.

there, back on topic! making fun of us yanks!

Written By: Howard on 01/26/06 at 2:37 pm

Let's make fun of The terrorists. >:(

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/26/06 at 3:05 pm

Let's make fun of The terrorists. >:(

Ignoramuses.  >:(

Written By: Howard on 01/26/06 at 3:08 pm

Ignoramuses.  >:(

They reek of garlic. :P

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/26/06 at 3:10 pm

They reek of garlic. :P

And blood.  :P

Written By: Howard on 01/26/06 at 3:12 pm

And blood.  :P

Wait,I must be referring to the Indians. ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...