inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you want on your DVD?

Written By: whistledog on 01/28/06 at 2:07 am

What Special Features do you like, if any, or none at all?  Do you like subtitles, previews, etc ...?

I don't really like Special Features, although sometimes I will watch the bloopers/gag reel and the Music Videos if there are any (The "St. Elmo's Fire" DVD has the "Man in Motion" video by John Parr O0)

All I really need is the Sub-titles.  My TV is such a piece of crap, I have a hard time hearing the dialogue, so the sub-titles really help out. 

There are some DVD's though that don't have sub-titles.  Some DVD's don't even have a menu screen .. the movie starts right away, and once it's over, it loops back to the start again (ie: "DC Cab" and "Cloak and Dagger")  :\'(

Subject: Re: What do you want on your DVD?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/28/06 at 10:07 am

I usually don't even look at any of the special features...I just usually watch the movie.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/28/06 at 11:57 am

It depends, with the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, they give you 2 extra DVD's with each movie, filled with special features. I like interviews with cast members, with the Harry Potters, they give you games you can play on your tv related to the movie. I like that.
The special features I like the most are the Deleted scenes  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/28/06 at 12:23 pm

I like the "Behind the scenes", interviews, the "making of..." etc. Don't usually watch the commentaries-with a few exceptions. On older films, they have something about the restoration of the film which sometimes can be interesting. And deleted scenes/bloopers.

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 01/28/06 at 1:59 pm

I've always been a fan of Deleted Scenes and of course the music.

I was rather pleased with the new release of Clerks as they focussed on the Music more than the original release.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/29/06 at 1:33 am

I like the "Behind the scenes", interviews, the "making of..." etc.

Me too.

I know of course, the reason you buy it is for the movie, but especially since I'm a total geek with stuff like this, I really like Director's commentary and such. Hearing about how certain things originated, and someone else's interpretation of characters I've come to love.

Also, if it's an 80's movie (many of mine are, hehe), seeing updated interviews with the cast is cool - seeing how they currently look, etc.

The more the better, I always say. :)

Written By: woops on 01/29/06 at 3:38 pm

It depends on the DVD...  :)

Music videos as extras and some classic interviews and other rarely seen stuff

Commentaries, not much into them, though depend on the person and film

If it was a music video compilation, different versions of several videos, old interview clips, commentaries, making of, and maybe MTV bumpers/interviews/performances that featured them, if they could get the rights

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/29/06 at 3:44 pm

Bloopers

Written By: Billy Florio on 01/31/06 at 5:14 pm

The trailer

Deleated Scenes

Written By: Howard on 01/31/06 at 5:17 pm

Gratuitous Nudity ;)  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/31/06 at 6:09 pm

Gratuitous Nudity ;)  ;D

Then I highly reccomend the movie 'Boat Trip'.  Even the menu screens have nudity ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/01/06 at 4:25 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/01/06 at 5:06 pm

Commentary, subtitles (I don't like to watch without subtitles), deleted scenes, outtakes...

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 02/05/06 at 1:14 am

I love extras. I love commentaries, bloopers, making ofs, special docos about restoration, special effects stories, deleted scenes, music videos, all of it - the more the better. I love ones that have really rough videos of the entire filming process - The Day After Tomorrow has some great stuff like that. Sometimes I watch all the extras several times before I actually watch the film itself !!

One thing I would really love to see - the ability to watch the film with the deleted scenes restored. Example - on Love Actually - some of the deleted scenes are so gorgeous and really add to the entire story and the growth of certain characters - but were deleted in order to make the film shorter.

I dont care how long a film is as long as it is entertaining me. So I would love to be able to select "Restore deleted scenes" and watch the whole film the way the director intended it.

Written By: Apricot on 02/08/06 at 8:51 pm

Subtitles are cool sometimes.

I'm getting sick of "UNRATED" versions.. people get them on hopes there'll be nudity, and there never is. It's just bloopers.

If they have something cool, like this one DVD I saw.. it showed you the student film that inspired the movie, a bunch of cool readings and stuff.. it was really creepy, but very cool. Cool features are good, but the sucky blooper reels piss me off.

Written By: whistledog on 02/08/06 at 9:06 pm

Please,Not Boat Trip.That film sucked.

You didn't laugh even once during that movie? ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/09/06 at 3:11 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: KKay on 02/09/06 at 3:15 pm

I always forget the extras are there..thanks for the reminder. I"ll try to check them out- I do like commentary sometimes...

Check for new replies or respond here...