inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Au Bon Pain

Written By: Howard on 01/29/06 at 7:47 am

Yesterday was my very first day at Au Bon Pain.The manager was mixed up with the orientation so he had scheduled it for next week but before I had started,The manager and I went over the Employee handbook plus the rules and regulations of the company.He shown me what to do as of cleaning the tables,mopping the floor,taking out the trash,showing me what places that needed to be clean and spotless,double checking,knowing what cleaning solutions that work for the tables,windows and mirrors and that's basically it for now since it was my first day and I was new.My job coach was there up until the time I had left which was about 8pm so he was a great help all the way.I got to have a 30 minute break and had a Ham & Swiss baguette and went back to work for the remainder of the shift.I also received my Au Bon Pain work clothes which I'm so very happy about.All In All,I had an excellent day.The only problem is that I need to work on are my distractions.But anyway,I think 1 day a week is ok for now until later on in the future when I'll ask my supervisor for more days and hours.I'll keep you all updated on the Saturdays at Au Bon Pain. :)

Subject: Re: Au Bon Pain

Written By: danootaandme on 01/29/06 at 7:56 am

Yesterday was my very first day at Au Bon Pain.The manager was mixed up with the orientation so he had scheduled it for next week but before I had started,The manager and I went over the Employee handbook plus the rules and regulations of the company.He shown me what to do as of cleaning the tables,mopping the floor,taking out the trash,showing me what places that needed to be clean and spotless,double checking,knowing what cleaning solutions that work for the tables,windows and mirrors and that's basically it for now since it was my first day and I was new.My job coach was there up until the time I had left which was about 8pm so he was a great help all the way.I got to have a 30 minute break and had a Ham & Swiss baguette and went back to work for the remainder of the shift.I also received my Au Bon Pain work clothes which I'm so very happy about.All In All,I had an excellent day.The only problem is that I need to work on are my distractions.But anyway,I think 1 day a week is ok for now until later on in the future when I'll ask my supervisor for more days and hours.I'll keep you all updated on the Saturdays at Au Bon Pain. :)

Good on you.  Hope it works out. I, too, am easily distracted.  It may help if there are labels on the different cleaners you use that tell you what can be used on what, and checklists of what should be done when.  If you have a corner where you could keep something like that it could be very helpful. 

Written By: Howard on 01/29/06 at 8:08 am

Good on you.  Hope it works out. I, too, am easily distracted.  It may help if there are labels on the different cleaners you use that tell you what can be used on what, and checklists of what should be done when.  If you have a corner where you could keep something like that it could be very helpful. 

That's why yesterday was my first day so I'm learning the ropes and doing my tasks the correct way.My job coach will be with me for the next couple of weeks until I get used to doing my work without his assistance.He's been great so far.He's much better than all the others I've had in the past.Plus,He's known the manager for many years & the connections he has so that worked well in my favor.I'm glad to have him! :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/29/06 at 10:57 am

Way to go Howard, & from your posts it has been awhile. I hope it all works out.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/06 at 1:44 pm

Good job Howard....it sounds like you will do just fine! :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/29/06 at 4:18 pm

Very cool, Howard  8)

Your job coach seems like a good person, taking his time to be with you for the first day.  Next time I see an Au Bon Pain I'm gonna have to get a sandwich and see what they are all about.

Kudos!  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/30/06 at 4:44 pm

Thanks Guys.I really enjoyed my first day at Au Bon Pain and looking forward to many more Saturdays to come.I think going to work will be enjoybale cause I volunteer upstairs and I work downstairs.Next week,My job coach will let me know much Social Security will be taking out when I eventually get paid.My first paycheck might not be until March or later so we'll see what happens from there.I made Robin and her parents proud.They wish the best for me and want me to try my hardest cause that's what my goal is right now.So,I pleased myself AND I pleased Robin's Parents as well. :)

Written By: Howard on 01/30/06 at 4:46 pm

[quote author=Ły

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/30/06 at 7:10 pm

Thanks Guys.I really enjoyed my first day at Au Bon Pain and looking forward to many more Saturdays to come.I think going to work will be enjoybale cause I volunteer upstairs and I work downstairs.Next week,My job coach will let me know much Social Security will be taking out when I eventually get paid.My first paycheck might not be until March or later so we'll see what happens from there.I made Robin and her parents proud.They wish the best for me and want me to try my hardest cause that's what my goal is right now.So,I pleased myself AND I pleased Robin's Parents as well. :)

Howard, get ready for a tax shocker when you get that pay check.  :o

First, Social security takes 6.2%.  Then Medicare Tax takes another 1.45%.  New York State will take a 4% bite out of your check  New York City will hit you too, maybe 2%.  Then there is the Federal government, but I think when you file your annual taxes with the IRS you will end up getting all the Federal tax refunded.  :-\\

Man, I'm glad I live in Pennsylvania.  Taxes lower here.

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 01/30/06 at 7:13 pm

Awesome, Howard!  Glad you found something.  I would ask you to PM me and tell me which one -- it's be fun to meet -- but I don't wanna distract you from work.  Good luck to you!

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 01/30/06 at 7:25 pm

I volunteer upstairs and I work downstairs.

OK, now I think I know which one you work in. 

Next week,My job coach will let me know much Social Security will be taking out when I eventually get paid.My first paycheck might not be until March or later so we'll see what happens from there.

Probably not a lot.  And as the other poster said, if tax is taken out, you'll likely get it all back if you work only one day a week, whether anyone claims you or not.  I would say NY State and City as well as Federal.  Check with your coach and make sure NY CITY is taken out, though.  If you're working where I think you're working, it's not NYC and they could forget to take it out.  (Something similar happened to me when I worked in 2 states.)  If that happened, there is a chance you might have to pay.  So just have your coach check.

I made Robin and her parents proud.They wish the best for me and want me to try my hardest cause that's what my goal is right now.So,I pleased myself AND I pleased Robin's Parents as well. :)

That's fantastic.  :) 

Written By: Howard on 01/31/06 at 6:41 am

[quote author=Ły

Written By: Howard on 01/31/06 at 6:44 am

Awesome, Howard!  Glad you found something.  I would ask you to PM me and tell me which one -- it's be fun to meet -- but I don't wanna distract you from work.  Good luck to you!

If you live on Long Island and New Hyde Park you can come visit me at The Long Island Jewish Hospital.When you walk in,you'll see Au Bon Pain.I'll be wearing the outfit and a skullcap.Don't worry if you're going to distract me,It's ok.Just say Hello And Goodbye!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/31/06 at 6:46 am

OK, now I think I know which one you work in. 

Probably not a lot.  And as the other poster said, if tax is taken out, you'll likely get it all back if you work only one day a week, whether anyone claims you or not.  I would say NY State and City as well as Federal.  Check with your coach and make sure NY CITY is taken out, though.  If you're working where I think you're working, it's not NYC and they could forget to take it out.  (Something similar happened to me when I worked in 2 states.)  If that happened, there is a chance you might have to pay.  So just have your coach check.

That's fantastic.  :) 

Annie,I volunteer upstairs in the Hematology/Oncology Unit 2nd Floor.

Written By: YWN on 01/31/06 at 8:32 am

Whoa, so you have a job now?  That's awesome.  I'm glad to hear it.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/06 at 9:02 am

Whoa, so you have a job now?  That's awesome.  I'm glad to hear it.

Thanks SFF.I work at Au Bon Pain Saturdays 12pm-6pm 1 day a week. :)

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 01/31/06 at 10:01 am

I'm On SSI(Social Security Income) & SSDI(Social Security Disability Income) so my paycheck won't be that much anyway.When I fill out a W2 or W4 form My Father told me to put down 1 exemption which is me.I'll worry about that when it happens.

Howard, I'm sure your coach set it up so that you could still receive your full bene amt, therefore no it won't be big paycheck, your dad prolly knows whats best in terms of exemption, however just make sure that NYC tax is acknowledged so you don't owe.  Yeh I thought it was LIJ.  Mostly I go to 5 towns when I'm in LI, but if I ever cross yourway.... I will say Hi!

Written By: Howard on 01/31/06 at 5:12 pm

Howard, I'm sure your coach set it up so that you could still receive your full bene amt, therefore no it won't be big paycheck, your dad prolly knows whats best in terms of exemption, however just make sure that NYC tax is acknowledged so you don't owe.  Yeh I thought it was LIJ.  Mostly I go to 5 towns when I'm in LI, but if I ever cross yourway.... I will say Hi!

Fantastic Annie.I look forward to be seeing you. :)

Written By: PaperGirl on 01/31/06 at 8:13 pm

Congratulations on the job Howard.  Hope it works out for you.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/06 at 6:20 am

Congratulations on the job Howard.  Hope it works out for you.

Thanks PaperGirl,I hope it works out for me as well.This will be a temporary job until October 2006.My work goal is stock clerk so I'm taking it slow at the moment. :)

Written By: Howard on 02/01/06 at 4:13 pm

Now I was told that the orientation at Au Bon Pain won't be until next week cause of a manager shift but I'm still going to work this Saturday just not sure what time yet but I believe 12pm-6pm.I'm going to have to talk with my supervisor about this situation.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/01/06 at 4:27 pm

We used to have an Au Bon Pain at our mall, years ago..but it hasn't been there for a long time. I wasn't even aware that they were still around..until I heard you talking about the one that you now work at.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/06 at 4:40 pm

We used to have an Au Bon Pain at our mall, years ago..but it hasn't been there for a long time. I wasn't even aware that they were still around..until I heard you talking about the one that you now work at.

Want to come and visit me? :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/01/06 at 5:09 pm

Want to come and visit me? :)

you know what? someday I probably will.  Beth and I have talked about going to New York for a weekend or something (since it is not too too far from us)...so if we ever do, we will definitely stop in to see ya Howard. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/01/06 at 7:12 pm

Now I was told that the orientation at Au Bon Pain won't be until next week cause of a manager shift but I'm still going to work this Saturday just not sure what time yet but I believe 12pm-6pm.I'm going to have to talk with my supervisor about this situation.

It will all be OK Howard.  :)  Just come to work and do the various tasks.  It is typical for companies to drag their feet with orientation training.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/02/06 at 12:37 am

Congrats, Howard. 

Written By: Howard on 02/02/06 at 6:25 am

you know what? someday I probably will.  Beth and I have talked about going to New York for a weekend or something (since it is not too too far from us)...so if we ever do, we will definitely stop in to see ya Howard. :)

Great,I'll look forward to be seeing you.Come in a for a Ham & Swiss baguette with Hot peppers & Southwestern Sauce.Those are great. :P

Written By: Howard on 02/02/06 at 6:27 am

[quote author=Ły

Written By: FaultyDog on 02/04/06 at 11:13 am

Nothing wrong with making them proud, but I hope you're feeling proud of yourself too!  ;)

I'm glad to see you finally got a job (even though it's only temporary and parttime). It will help you improve yourself and it makes life so much easier and more enjoyable. (I've been unemployed for about six years myself.) Keep up the good work! :)

Written By: Apricot on 02/04/06 at 4:35 pm

What exactly is Au Bon Pain? It sounds.. painful.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/04/06 at 9:31 pm

I'd never heard of it either...

Here you can have a 360 degree tour online...Whhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Although it isn't exactly the one Howard works at, they all apparently look similar.

http://www.aubonpain.com/360tours.html

Mainly a sandwich/soup/bakery shop apparently.

Written By: Apricot on 02/04/06 at 10:11 pm

Oooh, looks nice.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 02/04/06 at 10:13 pm

Although it isn't exactly the one Howard works at, they all apparently look similar.

Whoa... Pimp..

Written By: Howard on 02/05/06 at 7:03 am

Nothing wrong with making them proud, but I hope you're feeling proud of yourself too!   ;)

I'm glad to see you finally got a job (even though it's only temporary and parttime). It will help you improve yourself and it makes life so much easier and more enjoyable. (I've been unemployed for about six years myself.) Keep up the good work! :)

Thanks Henk.I made myself proud but Her parents still want me to work on Full Time but that won't be for a while now so let me take it one step at a time and keep with 1 day a week 12pm-6pm Saturdays. :)

Written By: Howard on 02/05/06 at 7:05 am

Almost the same thing as Starbucks but much better and the food is excellent.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/06 at 7:19 am

Yesterday was the orientation from 1pm-3:30pm.It was excellent and very well-presented.After the orientation,I had on my outfit and was ready to start working.I basically wiped down the tables with specific cleaners and specific washcloths,swept the floors using a long handlebar broom,took out the trash and basically did a lot of spot checking towards the evening.On my lunch break I got to have my free food which was a delicious Tuna melt with Red bell peppers and a fountain drink which was also free.15 minutes before I left while I was sweeping,I found $40 on the floor on the other side of the cash register so I told the manager and he said to just pocket it so that made the rest of my night wonderful.I also got to bring something back home to give to Robin on Sunday which was a Creme De Fleur.Anyway,that was my Saturday and I should be working regular hours this time 12pm-6pm next week.I will talk to my job coach and then he'll talk to the manager and see what he says about the hours that I'm supposed to work.I'll keep you all updated with everything. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/05/06 at 11:52 am

Excellent Howard!  I'm so glad that you like your job.  :) And nice to see a little luck in there too with the 40 bucks.  So you get to eat one free meal per shift?  That's great, some places don't let you eat ANYTHING even if you pay for it!

I gotta find an Au Bon Pain around here.  All this talk is makin' me hungry.  :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/05/06 at 11:58 pm

Yesterday was the orientation from 1pm-3:30pm.It was excellent and very well-presented.After the orientation,I had on my outfit and was ready to start working.I basically wiped down the tables with specific cleaners and specific washcloths,swept the floors using a long handlebar broom,took out the trash and basically did a lot of spot checking towards the evening.On my lunch break I got to have my free food which was a delicious Tuna melt with Red bell peppers and a fountain drink which was also free.15 minutes before I left while I was sweeping,I found $40 on the floor on the other side of the cash register so I told the manager and he said to just pocket it so that made the rest of my night wonderful.I also got to bring something back home to give to Robin on Sunday which was a Creme De Fleur.Anyway,that was my Saturday and I should be working regular hours this time 12pm-6pm next week.I will talk to my job coach and then he'll talk to the manager and see what he says about the hours that I'm supposed to work.I'll keep you all updated with everything. :)

wow Howard...I am really proud of ya man! It sounds like you did your job really well. Congrats on finding the money...that is always a plus when that happens. Keep up the good work...and if you do, I am sure that your manager will eventually give you more hours! :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/06/06 at 2:31 am

Howard, what if maybe you were being tested for honesty and integrity and the $40 was deliberately dropped to see what you would do? You did the right thing, passed the test and was  rewarded.

Written By: Howard on 02/06/06 at 6:21 am

[quote author=Ły

Written By: Howard on 02/06/06 at 6:24 am

wow Howard...I am really proud of ya man! It sounds like you did your job really well. Congrats on finding the money...that is always a plus when that happens. Keep up the good work...and if you do, I am sure that your manager will eventually give you more hours! :)

Right Now,It'll be Part Time then eventually work my way towards Full Time so I can work more days and longer hours cause I need anything to keep myself busy.I could look or my job coach could help me find another Part Time Job for the other days.We'll have to see what happens and I'll let you know. :)

Written By: Howard on 02/06/06 at 6:26 am

Howard, what if maybe you were being tested for honesty and integrity and the $40 was deliberately dropped to see what you would do? You did the right thing, passed the test and was  rewarded.

Nobody knows if it was a test or not but that $40.00 is mine all mine. ;D

Written By: alyceclover on 02/06/06 at 8:31 am

[quote author=Ły

Written By: Howard on 02/06/06 at 4:51 pm

Now My hours at Au Bon Pain went from 12pm-6pm to now 1pm-7pm which is the official time that I start working on Saturdays. :)

Written By: Howard on 02/08/06 at 4:48 pm

I was told that from the orientation that I was so dedicated and now since I'm still in training I most likely will have different time schedules.This weekend is 1pm-7pm.Nobody knows what the next week will be.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/11/06 at 8:09 am

This week I was driving on the Ohio Turnpike at about 5:00 am.  One of the rest stops has an Au Bon Pain in it.  So I stopped to check it out.

But they were closed, it was too early in the morning.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 02/13/06 at 7:37 pm

I got my first paycheck on Saturday which was about $31.00.This was definitely a sign of hard work and effort.My first paycheck in 13 Years and I'm proud of it.O0

Written By: Apricot on 02/13/06 at 7:43 pm

So, how is the ol' grind anyway, Howard?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/13/06 at 7:44 pm

I got my first paycheck on Saturday which was about $31.00.This was definitely a sign of hard work and effort.My first paycheck in 13 Years and I'm proud of it.O0

We're proud of you too, Howard.  :)

You have worked hard to get here.  Congrats!!!!!!!!

Written By: Howard on 02/13/06 at 7:46 pm

So, how is the ol' grind anyway, Howard?

Keeping Busy Every Saturday.My boss likes me a lot.Maybe in a few months or so My days and hours will increase so altogether I should be working 20 hours a week.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/06 at 7:46 pm

[quote author=Ły

Written By: Apricot on 02/13/06 at 7:47 pm

Keeping Busy Every Saturday.My boss likes me a lot.Maybe in a few months or so My days and hours will increase so altogether I should be working 20 hours a week.

Nice. Sounds like a good setup.. how's the pay?

Written By: Howard on 02/13/06 at 7:51 pm

Nice. Sounds like a good setup.. how's the pay?

Pretty good,I'd say. :)

Written By: Howard on 02/18/06 at 8:14 am

I'm off to work in a couple of hours so I'll let you know everything about my day tomorrow. :)

Written By: Howard on 02/19/06 at 8:01 am

Yesterday at Au Bon Pain was a pretty busy,messy and sloppy day as usual.I swept the floors,mopped a few spills,took out the trash,cleaned the countertops and tables and also did some spot checking as well.The only messy time was that some Clam Chowder had spilled on glass and I couldn't clean it off as much so it wound up very filmy.The manager had a brief talk with me about that I had forgot to clock in & clock out for break which I hadn't done but he won't hold that against me and I forgot to tell him that I was taking a sandwich because workers there get a 50% discount at Au Bon Pain.Later,In the evening I got paid again but other than that,The manager and assistant manager likes me a whole lot and most likely He's going to keep the 1-7 work time for next Saturday as usual. :)

Written By: Gis on 02/19/06 at 8:48 am

Good for you Howard, I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your job.  :)

Written By: Howard on 02/20/06 at 8:02 am

Good for you Howard, I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your job.  :)

Thanks Gis.I hope in the near future I can be able to achieve full time and be able to work at least a 20 hour week which would be excellent for me.So I'll be able to have more money in my pocket and envelopes. :)

Written By: Gis on 02/20/06 at 8:03 am

Do you get tips ?

Written By: Howard on 02/20/06 at 8:30 am

Do you get tips ?

No I don't get tips.I only work in maintainence.

Written By: Howard on 02/25/06 at 8:07 am

It should be another messy,sloppy day at Au Bon Pain.I'll let you know what happened and also about getting paid every Saturday.O0

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 02/25/06 at 11:10 am

Howie it's Payday!!!

Please can I order 6 chocolate croissants and a loaf please and I'll pay for them when I collect them.   ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/25/06 at 12:22 pm

It should be another messy,sloppy day at Au Bon Pain.I'll let you know what happened and also about getting paid every Saturday.O0

We should hold an inthe00s.com reunion at Howard's Au Bon Pain.  Everybody can show up wearing a T-shirt that has their avatar on it.  8)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/25/06 at 4:06 pm

Au Bon Pain has some good food.  Back in high school, whenever the French National Honor Society (of which I was an esteemed member) would go to the Art Museum for field trips or for projects, we would always go to Au Bon Pain for lunch. 

I always had the French Onion soup in the sourdough bread bowl.  Yum, yum, yum, yum.  :)

Written By: Howard on 02/25/06 at 8:07 pm

Howie it's Payday!!!

Please can I order 6 chocolate croissants and a loaf please and I'll pay for them when I collect them.   ;D

Sorry,I only do maintainence. ;D

The payroll didn't come in cause of the President's Day week so there was a delay.I should get paid next Saturday.

Written By: Howard on 02/25/06 at 8:09 pm

[quote author=Ły

Written By: Howard on 02/25/06 at 8:10 pm

Au Bon Pain has some good food.  Back in high school, whenever the French National Honor Society (of which I was an esteemed member) would go to the Art Museum for field trips or for projects, we would always go to Au Bon Pain for lunch. 

I always had the French Onion soup in the sourdough bread bowl.  Yum, yum, yum, yum.   :)

I had the Chicken Sandwich on toasted bread for my half hour break then I go right back to work till 7pm.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/06 at 7:38 am

Yesterday was a pretty,sloppy,messy and busy day as usual.I swept the floor,mopped a few spills,took out the trash and cleaned the tables.Only a few minor problems my job coach saw that needed to be talked about.When I was mopping a chocolate milk spill,Some people were walking all over the wetness and I didn't speak up as loud enough saying that they should Watch Out cause I'm mopping up a spill.Also my job coach thinks that I should focus more on cleaning of the tables instead of sweeping for 5 hours without paying any attention to the tables at all.He's wondering if my OCD might be coming back but he can't say for sure.Other than that,everything went well and It was a very interesting day. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/26/06 at 6:34 pm

Yesterday was a pretty,sloppy,messy and busy day as usual.I swept the floor,mopped a few spills,took out the trash and cleaned the tables.Only a few minor problems my job coach saw that needed to be talked about.When I was mopping a chocolate milk spill,Some people were walking all over the wetness and I didn't speak up as loud enough saying that they should Watch Out cause I'm mopping up a spill.Also my job coach thinks that I should focus more on cleaning of the tables instead of sweeping for 5 hours without paying any attention to the tables at all.He's wondering if my OCD might be coming back but he can't say for sure.Other than that,everything went well and It was a very interesting day. :)

Sounds like you are a hard worker, Howard.  Keep plugging away but don't work TOO hard.  Work should be a little fun too.  Could you sort of "schedule" yourself to check on the tables at least once an hour? ???

Written By: Howard on 02/26/06 at 9:19 pm

[quote author=Ły

Written By: Howard on 03/04/06 at 7:13 am

I'm off to Au Bon Pain in a couple of hours so I'll see you guys tomorrow or Monday the latest. :)

Written By: Howard on 03/05/06 at 7:50 am

Au Bon Pain is great.I was told from my job coach since He's working together with the manager that as soon as I learn and recognize the simple tasks and learn them down pat,They'll consider me for more days and hours but for right now it's just 1 day a week on Saturdays 1-7pm and from what I was told,Au Bon Pain is very excited to have me which is a definite plus so we'll see what happens a few months from now. :)

Written By: Howard on 03/11/06 at 7:41 am

I'm off to Au Bon Pain in a little while.See you guys tomorrow. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/11/06 at 8:17 am

Have a great day at work, Howard! :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/11/06 at 10:23 am

Have a great time, Howard.

By the way, what do the uniforms look like at ABP ? ???

Written By: Howard on 03/12/06 at 7:33 am

Have a great time, Howard.

By the way, what do the uniforms look like at ABP ? ???

White Au Bon Pain Coat,Black Khaki Pants,Black Socks,Black Shoes.

Written By: Howard on 03/12/06 at 7:39 am

I had a pretty busy and challenging day yesterday at Au Bon Pain.I went back and forth with the sweeping,wiping down the tables and taking out the trash about 3 times during the 1-7pm shift.The garbage there can get pretty hefty.The only time that I enjoy being there is when it's at it's quietest with less or hardly any people at all.It makes my job much easier towards the end of my shift. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/16/06 at 10:29 pm

Well Howard I finally made it to an Au Bon Pain, in downtown Pittsburgh today.

It was pretty cool, with cool jazz music playing.

I had a raisin bagel and a large hot chocolate.  :P  Yummo.

Written By: Howard on 03/17/06 at 6:25 am

Did you have any the sandwiches? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/17/06 at 6:57 pm

Did you have any the sandwiches? ???

Unfortunately no.  :\'(  I had already done breakfast at the Duquesne Club, and then had to kill about an hour.  When I saw Au Bon Pain I had to see what all the hubbub was about, but I was not hungry enuf for a sandwich.  But they looked great!  :P

Next time I go downtown, I'm going on an empty stomach!  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/17/06 at 9:36 pm

I didn't know they had one downtown...what is it by?  I haven't seen one in ages, as the one in Westmoreland Mall has not been here for some time now.

Written By: Howard on 03/18/06 at 5:59 am

Unfortunately no.  :\'(   I had already done breakfast at the Duquesne Club, and then had to kill about an hour.  When I saw Au Bon Pain I had to see what all the hubbub was about, but I was not hungry enuf for a sandwich.  But they looked great!  :P

Next time I go downtown, I'm going on an empty stomach!  :)

You should also try the coffee with a Creme De Fleur or a big Chocolate Croissant.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/18/06 at 6:10 am

You should also try the coffee with a Creme De Fleur or a big Chocolate Croissant.

Love the Creme de Fleur    ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/18/06 at 7:05 am

I didn't know they had one downtown...what is it by?  I haven't seen one in ages, as the one in Westmoreland Mall has not been here for some time now.

Quirk, the owntown 'Burgh ABP is just around the corner from the Duquesne Club, OI forget exactly what street since we were sort of wandering around.  Might have been Oliver or Wood Street.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 03/19/06 at 7:32 am

Love the Creme de Fleur    ;)

I had The Chipolte Chicken for my break.

Written By: Howard on 03/19/06 at 7:38 am

Yesterday was a pretty busy and challenging day.I got some excellent feedback from my job coach and my manager.The manager noticed that I saw when the garbages needed to be cleaned out 3,4 times in one day and boy do they get hefty.But overall,I did the usual.Sweeping,Tables & countertops and Trash.Saturdays are like the game Frogger.You have to try to dodge the people to get to the other side or you'll get bumped and that's how I see my Saturdays. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/19/06 at 8:22 am

I had The Chipolte Chicken for my break.

How do you pronounce "Chipotle"  ???

Is it chi-pote-el ?

Or chi-pote-lay ?

Written By: Howard on 03/20/06 at 5:53 pm

How do you pronounce "Chipotle"  ???

Is it chi-pote-el ?

Or chi-pote-lay ?

Chi-Pote-lay

Written By: Howard on 03/25/06 at 7:30 am

I'm off to work in a couple of hours so I'll see you guys tomorrow or whenever,Bye! :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/25/06 at 8:11 pm

I'm off to work in a couple of hours so I'll see you guys tomorrow or whenever,Bye! :)

Have a great time Howard!  :)

Written By: Howard on 03/26/06 at 7:31 am

Have a great time Howard!  :)

Thanks LB.Work has been extremely busy as of late.Every Saturday,Au Bon Pain has been like the game Frogger where in the game,Frogger has to dodge cars and trucks but in my case I have to dodge people in order to win points by sweeping,mopping,cleaning tables and taking out the trash in quick time.It's not that easy,You know.The Assistant Supervisor is a hardass so it's my duty to keep him as happy as possible! :)

Written By: Howard on 04/01/06 at 7:13 am

I'm off to Au Bon Pain in a coupe of hours.I'll see you guys tomorrow or Monday,Bye! :)

Written By: Howard on 04/02/06 at 7:07 am

Yesterday at Au Bon Pain it went pretty well.The crowd was not too heavy and not too light so I got to do my work quickly.I did a lot of sweeping,cleaning tables and trash disposal a few times.So over all,It was a nice day,must've been the warm weather. :)

Written By: Howard on 04/08/06 at 6:53 am

I'm off to work in a couple of hours or so.I'll see you guys either tomorrow or Monday.  :)

Written By: Howard on 04/09/06 at 7:30 am

I had a pretty busy day at work yesterday.I swept,cleaned the tables,took out the trash,put it in the bin and took it to the compactor where it's to be crushed in a machine downstairs in the basement.My job coach was proud and he told me that I think that I'm deserving for more days and hours.He'll talk with the supervisor and assistant supervisor.They'll come up with an answer for me.So far,So good. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/09/06 at 8:11 am

I had a pretty busy day at work yesterday.I swept,cleaned the tables,took out the trash,put it in the bin and took it to the compactor where it's to be crushed in a machine downstairs in the basement.My job coach was proud and he told me that I think that I'm deserving for more days and hours.He'll talk with the supervisor and assistant supervisor.They'll come up with an answer for me.So far,So good. :)

Cool, Howard.  8)

I hope that they start giving you more days/hours soon!  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/09/06 at 12:13 pm

Good job Howard!! :)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/09/06 at 4:48 pm

Good going!  applause for you  ;)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/09/06 at 6:03 pm

Good going Howie, they're sure to up your hours for the good service you're giving  :) :)

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/09/06 at 6:31 pm

Congrats, Howard!

Written By: Howard on 04/10/06 at 6:27 am

Cool, Howard.  8)

I hope that they start giving you more days/hours soon!   :)

It might be Thursdays and Fridays so I might have to quit volunteering upstairs and start working downstairs.I file upstairs and Au Bon Pain is in the lobby of my volunteer site so I can visit my co-workers anytime so you could say that when I take my break,I'll be able to say hello to them. :)

Written By: Howard on 04/10/06 at 6:28 am

Good going Howie, they're sure to up your hours for the good service you're giving   :) :)

I'm trying to make up for the 13 years that I haven't been working.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/16/06 at 5:53 am

It might be Thursdays and Fridays so I might have to quit volunteering upstairs and start working downstairs.I file upstairs and Au Bon Pain is in the lobby of my volunteer site so I can visit my co-workers anytime so you could say that when I take my break,I'll be able to say hello to them. :)

If they give you Thursdays and fridays could you still volunteer on Mondays, Tuesdays, or Wednesdays? ???

Written By: Howard on 04/16/06 at 6:55 am

If they give you Thursdays and fridays could you still volunteer on Mondays, Tuesdays, or Wednesdays? ???

Mondays and Wednesdays I attend a program but I'm in the process of leaving it soon so in about a month or so I can get more hours  and days.Thursdays and Fridays I volunteer upstairs in the Hematology/Oncology Unit and I work at Au Bon Pain which is downstairs in the lobby so I can always visit my buddies upstairs anytime but it might have to be during the weekdays cause on the weekends,They're not there so I'll see how I'm going to work it out.

Tuesdays,I have group therapy from 11am-12pm so I can work right after that.We'll just have to see what happens soon.

Written By: Howard on 04/16/06 at 7:04 am

It was a pretty interesting day at Au Bon Pain.Everything was done and I worked like a workhorse and sweat it out till 7pm cause it was a warm day yesterday when it got up to 80 degrees.I did the sweeping,tables,garbages and some customer service throughout the day.One guy was mean to me and an elderly couple later on in the evening wished me a good night which made my day and I found a lot of pennies on the floor too.So Overall,It was a pretty challenging day,I'm enjoying it a lot thanks to Robin.She was the girl who I thanked for giving me the push that I needed even though she's a pain in my ass but I love her a lot. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/16/06 at 8:53 am

It was a pretty interesting day at Au Bon Pain.Everything was done and I worked like a workhorse and sweat it out till 7pm cause it was a warm day yesterday when it got up to 80 degrees.I did the sweeping,tables,garbages and some customer service throughout the day.One guy was mean to me and an elderly couple later on in the evening wished me a good night which made my day and I found a lot of pennies on the floor too.So Overall,It was a pretty challenging day,I'm enjoying it a lot thanks to Robin.She was the girl who I thanked for giving me the push that I needed even though she's a pain in my ass but I love her a lot. :)

Don't worry about the mean guys, Howard.  They are A-holes,  >:( not worth the bother.  You are a professional!  :)

Written By: Howard on 04/17/06 at 5:13 pm

Don't worry about the mean guys, Howard.  They are A-holes,  >:( not worth the bother.   You are a professional!  :)

I'm not a professional just yet but I'm working very hard towards it.I've been at Au Bon Pain for almost 3 months now and I believe I know what my job tasks are,where the broom and cleaning solutions are located and how much time I spend on tables,floors,garbages and countertops and taking initiative.That's basically it right now.

Written By: Howard on 04/22/06 at 8:31 am

I'm off to work in a couple of hours so I'll see you guys most likely tomorrow or Monday.  :)

Written By: Howard on 04/23/06 at 7:29 am

I had a very busy day at work yesterday.The only thing that irks me is when a person,couple or group of people sit down for hours and hours on end relaxing,reading,gabbing on their cell phone or just talking amongst themselves and I don't get to clean that area till they finally get up 2,3 hours later which is a relief for me.Other than that,Work has been busier than ever.I'm hoping to be obtaining more hours and days really soon. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/23/06 at 4:39 pm

I had a very busy day at work yesterday.The only thing that irks me is when a person,couple or group of people sit down for hours and hours on end relaxing,reading,gabbing on their cell phone or just talking amongst themselves and I don't get to clean that area till they finally get up 2,3 hours later which is a relief for me.Other than that,Work has been busier than ever.I'm hoping to be obtaining more hours and days really soon. :)

Uh oh.  I think I would be on your cr@p list, Howard.  :-\\

Whenever I visited the Au Bon Pain in Pittsburgh, me and a buddy plugged in our laptops, worked our cell phones, and did business there for about an hour and a half while we waited to go to our next meeting.

Although nobody was cleaning anything.  That place needed somebody like you, I was thinking.  :)

Written By: Howard on 04/25/06 at 4:05 pm

Don't worry about it LB.Whenever I'm sweeping or taking out the trash I'm forced to over hear conversations on people's cell phone and I have to do my job and it's their fault If I get in their way.Let them conduct cell phone chatter somewhere else besides Au Bon Pain.I'm too distracted by them which makes it somewhat difficult for me to do my job sometimes but I don't mind once in a while,It's ok.  :)

Written By: Howard on 04/29/06 at 7:35 am

I'm off to work in a couple of hours so I'll see you guys tomorrow or Monday. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icon_biggrin.gif

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/29/06 at 8:47 am

Have a good day at work, Howard!!! :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/29/06 at 8:04 pm

I'm off to work in a couple of hours so I'll see you guys tomorrow or Monday. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icon_biggrin.gif

Have a good cell phone and laptop-free day at Au Bon Pain, Howard!  :)

Written By: Howard on 04/30/06 at 7:19 am

Have a good cell phone and laptop-free day at Au Bon Pain, Howard!   :)

Anywhere I sweep,mop or take out the trash there will be yappers and yesterday just wasn't a cell phone/lap-top free day.Yesterday was quite busy.I had to mop up 3 spills.One little kid broke a juice bottle,Some guy spilled his coffee and the other was my spill.By accident,I tipped over a small tub of soapy water that's used to wipe down the tables and countertops so I mopped up the spill later and put down the Caution sign after.It was one of those in and out of the kitchen type days,Just a very hectic afternoon.I hope my job coach this time gets to talk to my supervisor about adding more days and hours to schedule.I'm ready for it. :)

Written By: Howard on 05/01/06 at 4:30 pm

My Job Coach was talking to my supervisor and they still like me there.My supervisor mentioned to him that I've been very diligent and hardworking so maybe soon they'll increase my days and hours or I can still get a 30 minute unpaid break and come in a half hour earlier(12:30pm) and work till 7 or I can stay a half hour later(7:30pm).The choice is up to me.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/01/06 at 6:19 pm

My Job Coach was talking to my supervisor and they still like me there.My supervisor mentioned to him that I've been very diligent and hardworking so maybe soon they'll increase my days and hours or I can still get a 30 minute unpaid break and come in a half hour earlier(12:30pm) and work till 7 or I can stay a half hour later(7:30pm).The choice is up to me.

Very cool, Howard.  8)

:)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/06 at 7:05 pm

way to go Howard!! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hello2.gif

Written By: Howard on 05/02/06 at 1:27 pm

Very cool, Howard.  8)

Thanks LB and Erin.I hope by during the summer I'll be getting more hours and days.I'm still having some trouble tying garbage bags in double knots with gloves on.Very soon,I'll be getting the knack of it.It'll take some time to get used to.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/03/06 at 10:11 am

Howie does Au Bon Pain sell New York cheesecake?

Written By: Howard on 05/03/06 at 4:41 pm

Howie does Au Bon Pain sell New York cheesecake?

I don't think so but you can try a Krispy Kreme doughnut or a Creme De Fleur,If you'd like.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/04/06 at 3:53 am

I don't think so but you can try a Krispy Kreme doughnut or a Creme De Fleur,If you'd like.

Mmm Krispy Kreme for me

Written By: Howard on 05/04/06 at 3:49 pm

Mmm Krispy Kreme for me

They were out of doughnuts today.Would you like a big chocolate chip cookie instead?

Written By: Howard on 05/06/06 at 7:14 am

Looks Like It's going to be another one of those busy days at Au Bon Pain.Have a good day everyone. :)

Written By: Morton on 05/06/06 at 7:17 am

Looks Like It's going to be another one of those busy days at Au Bon Pain.Have a good day everyone. :)

Enjoy yourself and have a good day, Howard  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/06/06 at 7:18 am

Enjoy yourself and have a good day, Howard  :)

Thanks,I'll try to.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/06/06 at 11:12 am

Have an oatmeal raisin cookie for me.  They are my favorites  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/06/06 at 6:38 pm

Have an oatmeal raisin cookie for me.  They are my favorites   :)

Yeah, and have a Crispy Cream for me too.  :P

Written By: Howard on 05/07/06 at 7:35 am

Yeah, and have a Crispy Cream for me too.   :P

I didn't have a Krispy Kreme Doughnut.All I had was a mug of soda.Anybody who works 6 hours or more are entitled to a 30 minute unpaid break but if they work 6 hours on the dot,people should take a 10 minute break.Yesterday,It was so busy at Au Bon Pain that I worked the whole 6-7 hours without taking a break except for a Thirsty break and I really was in the mood for some Peach Iced Tea,after that,the rest of the night was good.So overall,It was just one of those busy Saturdays.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/06 at 7:37 am

Have an oatmeal raisin cookie for me.  They are my favorites   :)

How about a Bowl of soup with some Assaggio bread?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/13/06 at 7:16 pm

Howard,

How was Au Bon Pain today? ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/13/06 at 7:20 pm

Au Bon Pain had the best French Onion soup I think I've ever had.  Whenever the FNHS would go to the Art Museum downtown (back when I was living in Chicago), we'd always stop there for lunch afterwards. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/13/06 at 7:52 pm

Interesting, is this where you work, Howie?

I've never heard of this place.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/06 at 7:58 am

Howard,

How was Au Bon Pain today? ???

Au Bon Pain was very busy yesterday.I just found out from my Assistant Supervisor that I'll be getting a quarter raise within the next week or so and that's excellent news for me.I've been there almost 4 months now and I've proven to them that after 13 years of being out of a job that I mean business and I don't fuk around anymore.I want to work hard and one day to advance in the company and to make Robin proud of me. :)

Yesterday,I wanted to request time off to see my friend Robert who lives up in Niskayuna.I was thinking to myself that maybe I shouldn't because I don't want to jeopardize my job so I'll see him in July.Hopefully,He's understanding about this.When he moved to Schnectady in November 2002,He always wanted me to work around his schedule but situations change and now I have my schedule to deal with and he may have to work around mine.I'll let you know what happens with all this.

I also asked him if he can talk to the manager this week about adding more days and hours to my 1 day that I work there.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/06 at 8:02 am

[quote author=

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/14/06 at 6:25 pm

Au Bon Pain was very busy yesterday.I just found out from my Assistant Supervisor that I'll be getting a quarter raise within the next week or so and that's excellent news for me.I've been there almost 4 months now and I've proven to them that after 13 years of being out of a job that I mean business and I don't fuk around anymore.I want to work hard and one day to advance in the company and to make Robin proud of me. :)

Kongratulations and Karma to you Howard!!!!  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/15/06 at 5:02 pm

Kongratulations and Karma to you Howard!!!!  :)

Thanks LB. :)

Written By: Howard on 05/20/06 at 8:20 am

I'm off to work in a couple of hours and I'm also looking forward to be seeing how much my next check will be after the quarter raise I got last week.Hard Work really pays off. :)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/20/06 at 11:51 am

I'm off to work in a couple of hours and I'm also looking forward to be seeing how much my next check will be after the quarter raise I got last week.Hard Work really pays off. :)

Come back soon and tell us how you're doing Howie.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/06 at 6:59 am

Come back soon and tell us how you're doing Howie.

Work at Au Bon Pain was very busy.Yesterday,they renovated to make more room for customers to move around and put a lot of stuff in different places.I had a few confused customers but within time they should get used to the new change plus for me I have to sweep in a new route so that's something different.I also told the assistant supervisor for more days and hours and I requested Mondays 9-3 and Wednesdays 9-3 or maybe even full time and he said I will let you know by next week or the week after so getting more days for me looks pretty good now.I'll let you know what happens. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/21/06 at 7:11 am

Work at Au Bon Pain was very busy.Yesterday,they renovated to make more room for customers to move around and put a lot of stuff in different places.I had a few confused customers but within time they should get used to the new change plus for me I have to sweep in a new route so that's something different.I also told the assistant supervisor for more days and hours and I requested Mondays 9-3 and Wednesdays 9-3 or maybe even full time and he said I will let you know by next week or the week after so getting more days for me looks pretty good now.I'll let you know what happens. :)

Cool, Howard.  8)

Maybe they are expanding because you are bringing in the customers.  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/22/06 at 6:27 am

Cool, Howard.   8)

Maybe they are expanding because you are bringing in the customers.  :)

They renovated because I guess all other Au Bon Pains are doing it as well plus they need more room for the customers to move about.It'll take a while to get used to.

Written By: Howard on 05/27/06 at 7:35 am

I'm off to work in a couple of hours so I'll check back with you all tomorrow or Monday.My supervisor said that It'll be slow for The Memorial Day Holiday so we'll see what happens plus I have to write down the times when I'm available to work more days and hours so hopefully It'll be soon so I can get discharged from my program which should be within the next couple of weeks or so.I'll keep you up to date with what's happening with me. :)

Written By: Howard on 05/28/06 at 7:23 am

Work yesterday was pretty busy for a Memorial Day Holiday weekend.I wanted to ask for more days and hours added to my schedule but the assistant supervisor told me that I should show my schedule to the Supervisor when he comes back from vacation Thursday or Friday.This is like the umpteenth time I've asked both people and it seems like I'm getting the runaround.I don't know what's going on here but I hope I get answer soon or I'll have to bring it up with my job coach and maybe he'll handle this situation.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/28/06 at 8:25 am

Work yesterday was pretty busy for a Memorial Day Holiday weekend.I wanted to ask for more days and hours added to my schedule but the assistant supervisor told me that I should show my schedule to the Supervisor when he comes back from vacation Thursday or Friday.This is like the umpteenth time I've asked both people and it seems like I'm getting the runaround.I don't know what's going on here but I hope I get answer soon or I'll have to bring it up with my job coach and maybe he'll handle this situation.

Well obviously they like your work since you got that raise.  So that's cool.    :)

I would imagine that the Assistant Supervisor does not have the authority to add hours to the overall business; the Supervisor is probably the guy who has the power.

I wonder... does Au Bon Pain, at the moment, need anybody to work more hours?  Maybe they are staffed full, and giving you more hours (at the moment) might just increase their cost?  Or if they give you more hours, would they then have to give an existing employee LESS hours?  Maybe that is what they have to work with.  :-\\

My guess is that your job coach can help you navigate the issue.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/28/06 at 9:18 am

A lot of these places work on a tight budget.  There may be other employees asking for more hours, and if they gave you more they may be obligated to add hours for the others, there goes the budget.  I am sure that they are doing the best they can, and the assistant supervisor is probably caught in the middle.  The best is to bring it up with the job coach, and don't take it personally.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 05/29/06 at 7:06 am

Well obviously they like your work since you got that raise.  So that's cool.    :)

I would imagine that the Assistant Supervisor does not have the authority to add hours to the overall business; the Supervisor is probably the guy who has the power.

I wonder... does Au Bon Pain, at the moment, need anybody to work more hours?  Maybe they are staffed full, and giving you more hours (at the moment) might just increase their cost?  Or if they give you more hours, would they then have to give an existing employee LESS hours?  Maybe that is what they have to work with.  :-\\

My guess is that your job coach can help you navigate the issue.

I've been there 4 months now so I guess they would fit me in for more days and hours.It's possible that school will be out next month and the kids are coming to work or applying for part time work.

Written By: Howard on 05/29/06 at 7:08 am

A lot of these places work on a tight budget.  There may be other employees asking for more hours, and if they gave you more they may be obligated to add hours for the others, there goes the budget.  I am sure that they are doing the best they can, and the assistant supervisor is probably caught in the middle.  The best is to bring it up with the job coach, and don't take it personally.  ;)

I'll have to wait till The Supervisor comes back from vacation Thursday.He's busy with 2 kids and a Wife so you know what he has to put up with.

Written By: Howard on 06/03/06 at 7:18 am

I'm off to work in a couple of hours so I'll see you guys probably tomorrow or Monday.

I got to talk to the supervisor yesterday and he said that this month will be slow cause kids are graduating,school is almost over and people are going on vacation so he told me if something comes up and I hope something soon,He'll let me know and My job coach,the supervisor and I will keep in touch.I pray that I'll get more days and hours added to my schedule.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/03/06 at 5:38 pm

I'm off to work in a couple of hours so I'll see you guys probably tomorrow or Monday.

I got to talk to the supervisor yesterday and he said that this month will be slow cause kids are graduating,school is almost over and people are going on vacation so he told me if something comes up and I hope something soon,He'll let me know and My job coach,the supervisor and I will keep in touch.I pray that I'll get more days and hours added to my schedule.

Hey maybe I will throw in a prayer or two myself.  ;)  It will be cool when you eventually get more hours.  :)

Written By: KKay on 06/03/06 at 11:17 pm

I was drivingin Manhattan today and I thought, "I should find out where Howard works and go visit!"...but
1. how could i find out when i'm in the car?
2. traffic, traffic, traffic.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/06 at 7:32 am

Hey maybe I will throw in a prayer or two myself.  ;)  It will be cool when you eventually get more hours.  :)

Thanks LB.It might be until September till I get more days and hours knowing the owner/supervisor at Au Bon Pain but he did say that he'll let me know when.My case manager said that they'll discharge me from the program from now until September so between those months when I get more days and hours added to my schedule,they'll write up a discharging letter and let me go so I can work and stop attending program.After that,I can make appointments to see my job coach Mr.Randolph.I'll let you know what happens.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/06 at 7:38 am

I was drivingin Manhattan today and I thought, "I should find out where Howard works and go visit!"...but
1. how could i find out when i'm in the car?
2. traffic, traffic, traffic.

I work on Long Island and New Hyde Park so It'll be a long drive from Manhattan to Queens.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/04/06 at 8:06 am

I work on Long Island and New Hyde Park so It'll be a long drive from Manhattan to Queens.

I'll be sure to pop in when I visit New York (which will be soon, if everything goes right)!  8)

Written By: Howard on 06/04/06 at 9:58 pm

I'll be sure to pop in when I visit New York (which will be soon, if everything goes right)!  8)

This Au Bon Pain is in the hospital where I work so it can get very busy.I'm the one doing the sweeping,mopping and cleaning the tables.

Written By: Howard on 06/10/06 at 7:44 am

I'm off to work in a couple of hours so I'll see you guys soon.

I'm still praying for days and hours.The owner/supervisor said that the month will be slow for graduates,vacation and kids coming out of school in a few weeks so he told me that he'll let me know just as soon as something comes up.I've been working there for almost 5 months now,I'm entitled to at least something.I'll have to get my job coach to talk to the owner into giving me more days and hours added to my schedule.I'll let you know what happens. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/10/06 at 8:03 am

This Au Bon Pain is in the hospital where I work so it can get very busy.I'm the one doing the sweeping,mopping and cleaning the tables.

I will have to stop there the next time I get to New York (has been 9 months since last time).

I'll be the one pigging out and spilling crumbs on the table.  :P

Written By: Howard on 06/10/06 at 10:26 am

I will have to stop there the next time I get to New York (has been 9 months since last time).

I'll be the one pigging out and spilling crumbs on the table.  :P

Just remember I work at The North Shore Long Island Jewish Medical Center. ;)

What would you be having for lunch or dinner?

Written By: Howard on 06/11/06 at 7:27 am

I had a pretty interesting day yesterday.The most smelliest day was when I had to bring the garbage bags to the big compactor downstairs and as the compactor was crushing the bags,I don't know what it was but one of the bags popped and out came what looked like poop or raw meat but I almost vomited and was nauseated by it but anyway the day was busy as usual.I'm still praying for more days and hours from the owner/supervisor.Is kids leaving school,graduating,people going on vacation an excuse for not giving more days and hours cause I might have to wait till the summer's over but he told me that he'll let me know just as soon as something comes up.Maybe my job coach could do something about this situation.I'll have to discuss this with him soon.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/11/06 at 4:07 pm

I had a pretty interesting day yesterday.The most smelliest day was when I had to bring the garbage bags to the big compactor downstairs and as the compactor was crushing the bags,I don't know what it was but one of the bags popped and out came what looked like poop or raw meat but I almost vomited and was nauseated by it but anyway the day was busy as usual.I'm still praying for more days and hours from the owner/supervisor.Is kids leaving school,graduating,people going on vacation an excuse for not giving more days and hours cause I might have to wait till the summer's over but he told me that he'll let me know just as soon as something comes up.Maybe my job coach could do something about this situation.I'll have to discuss this with him soon.

It sounds like Au Bon Pain is kinda like inthe00s.com.  During summer months things slow down a but.  Since your manager has to run the place at a profit, he can not have too many people on the payroll.

I would advise you to take the manager at his word that this is the "slow season".  If you push too hard you could tick him off and you do not want that.  You know that he likes your work 'cause you got that raise, which is a positive sign.  I know it must be frustrating for you, but keep your boss as an ally !

Written By: Howard on 06/12/06 at 4:29 pm

It may not be till September till I get more days and hours but we'll see how everything goes.

Written By: Howard on 06/17/06 at 6:57 am

I'm off to work in about a couple of hours so I'll see you guys tomorrow or Monday.It should be a busy day cause the weather here for New York will be HOT so I'll be sure to drink plenty of cold liquids and maybe I'll cut down on my coffee intake cause if I drink too much coffee It'll dehydrate me so I'll stick to the sodas,water,Peach Tea and Lemonade.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/17/06 at 7:44 am

I'm off to work in about a couple of hours so I'll see you guys tomorrow or Monday.It should be a busy day cause the weather here for New York will be HOT so I'll be sure to drink plenty of cold liquids and maybe I'll cut down on my coffee intake cause if I drink too much coffee It'll dehydrate me so I'll stick to the sodas,water,Peach Tea and Lemonade.

Just reading your post is making me thirsty, Howard.  :P

Written By: Howard on 06/18/06 at 6:12 am

I thought it was a pretty busy but warm day yesterday.The heat must've gotten to me cause after I did 3 rounds of sweeping, cleaning,taking out the trash and a little mopping I had to keep getting a drink cause I was so thirsty and the heat from the kitchen bothered me just a little. :P

I'm definitely going to see that quarter raise within the next 2 weeks.So,My paycheck will most likely see an improvement.I've been there almost 5 months now,I deserve at least something.All the managers/assistant supervisors know that I work as hard as a rock and I take no bullcrap from no one.I do what I have to do and try to get it done cleanly and thoroughly.That's my job and I'm loving it. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/18/06 at 6:30 pm

I thought it was a pretty busy but warm day yesterday.The heat must've gotten to me cause after I did 3 rounds of sweeping, cleaning,taking out the trash and a little mopping I had to keep getting a drink cause I was so thirsty and the heat from the kitchen bothered me just a little. :P

I'm definitely going to see that quarter raise within the next 2 weeks.So,My paycheck will most likely see an improvement.I've been there almost 5 months now,I deserve at least something.All the managers/assistant supervisors know that I work as hard as a rock and I take no bullcrap from no one.I do what I have to do and try to get it done cleanly and thoroughly.That's my job and I'm loving it. :)

Excellent Howard.  8)

Let's hope that Au Bon Pain does not add bullcrap to the menu.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/19/06 at 4:35 pm

Excellent Howard.  8)

Let's hope that Au Bon Pain does not add bullcrap to the menu.   ;D

I hope not. ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/24/06 at 6:56 am

I'm off to work in a couple of hours so I hope to see you guys tomorrow or Monday. :)

I already told the manager and assistant supervisor that I'm going on vacation and won't be in next Saturday for the July 4th weekend so I can see an old friend of mine who lives up in Niskayuna.So,I'll be able to get my next paycheck the week after.

I'm also waiting for more days and hours.I understand that June has been a slow month for work but I'm hoping and praying that either July or August will definitely bring some good news.We'll just have to wait and see what happens. :)

Written By: Howard on 06/25/06 at 7:12 am

Yesterday was a pretty interesting day.I got to clean the tables,sweep the floor and take out the trash but I'm still not sure which is my first priority yet.I would think that sweeping and cleaning the tables are the first but I always check before doing anything else.Plus,it was a pretty humid day so I had to take quick thirsty drink breaks cause it was very warm in the kitchen.

So far,I'm going on almost 6 months soon which should be in August even though my interview at Au Bon Pain was in January and I didn't start until February.My goal with my job coach right now is to get at least 6 months of work on my belt and to help me create a nice resume with a cover letter.He was saying to me that if Au Bon Pain doesn't give you more days and hours that he may want to find something else for me cause He was the one who found me the job and thanks to the connections with the owner/manager,I'm working hard as a rock.I'm still praying that by August,I should be getting more days and hours.I love it there and leaving would be heartbreaking.I'll keep you up to date with everything that happens. :)

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/25/06 at 7:28 am

So far,I'm going on almost 6 months soon which should be in August even though my interview at Au Bon Pain was in January and I didn't start until February.My goal with my job coach right now is to get at least 6 months of work on my belt and to help me create a nice resume with a cover letter.He was saying to me that if Au Bon Pain doesn't give you more days and hours that he may want to find something else for me cause He was the one who found me the job and thanks to the connections with the owner/manager,I'm working hard as a rock.I'm still praying that by August,I should be getting more days and hours.I love it there and leaving would be heartbreaking.I'll keep you up to date with everything that happens. :)

Let's hope they make the right decision and offer you more hours. I think you deserve it! :)

Written By: Howard on 06/25/06 at 7:32 am

Let's hope they make the right decision and offer you more hours. I think you deserve it! :)

Thank you,I hope so too.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/25/06 at 7:52 am

Yesterday was a pretty interesting day.I got to clean the tables,sweep the floor and take out the trash but I'm still not sure which is my first priority yet.I would think that sweeping and cleaning the tables are the first but I always check before doing anything else.Plus,it was a pretty humid day so I had to take quick thirsty drink breaks cause it was very warm in the kitchen.

I stopped by the Au Bon Pain kiosk at the Pittsburgh Airport on Tuesday and it seems that their uniforms and what-not were pretty dirty.  What is the "cleanliness standard" at your place Howard?  I have to imagine that you keep it spit-polished.  :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/25/06 at 11:00 am

Are you satisfied working at Au Bon Pain? I mean, do you see yourself remaining there long into the future, or would you prefer to take another career path? Just be interested to know.

Written By: Howard on 06/25/06 at 5:26 pm

I stopped by the Au Bon Pain kiosk at the Pittsburgh Airport on Tuesday and it seems that their uniforms and what-not were pretty dirty.  What is the "cleanliness standard" at your place Howard?  I have to imagine that you keep it spit-polished.  :)

We're told that when we get home,We have to wash our uniforms.The white coat and black khakis can get pretty smelly after being there 6 hours in and out of the kitchen.No,We don't keep it that clean,It has to get dirty no matter what happens in the kitchen.

Written By: Howard on 06/25/06 at 5:30 pm

Are you satisfied working at Au Bon Pain? I mean, do you see yourself remaining there long into the future, or would you prefer to take another career path? Just be interested to know.

I like it there and the owner/manager,assistant supervisors and co-workers really like me a whole lot.The paychecks are good even though it's for 6 hours a day at $7.50 an hour.Thanks to my job coach,I'm working hard as I can.If my job coach doesn't see Au Bon Pain giving me more days and hours towards the end of my 6 months in August,He might look into another job for me but we'll see what happens in August.

Written By: ADH13 on 06/26/06 at 11:28 pm

Hey, I can write a letter to Au Bon Pain and say I was on vacation in NY last month, and I stopped there for a bite to eat and thought Howard was a great worker! :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/26/06 at 11:50 pm

Hey, I can write a letter to Au Bon Pain and say I was on vacation in NY last month, and I stopped there for a bite to eat and thought Howard was a great worker! :)

Go fer it!

Written By: Howard on 06/27/06 at 2:14 pm

Make sure you write to Mr.Steve Carpenter.He's a very pleasant nice guy.  :)

Written By: Howard on 06/27/06 at 2:15 pm

Go fer it!

1-800 TALK ABP

Written By: Howard on 07/08/06 at 7:11 am

I'm off to work in a couple of hours from now so I'll talk to you guys tomorrow or Monday. :)

The owner/supervisor has made me the on-call guy for Sunday.That means if he/she is sick or can't come in to work for personal,physical or emotional reasons,He would call me the day before or a few days in advance to let me know what's happening for that Sunday.I can't believe I was stupid enough to turn down a day he wanted to give me and Robin always wanted to push me to work more days and hours.I was thinking about her and she works a 40 Hour Shift Monday-Friday,I work on Saturdays and the only time that we see each other is on Sundays.I don't want her to get all pissy with me because I'm not spending enough time with her or none at all.Robin and I could meet after I leave work depending on what time my shift ends OR Her And I could go out for some dinner after she leaves work during the week but she winds up all tired,takes a shower,watches TV and goes right to sleep after 9pm so that's not good at all.I'll let you know what happens as things progress.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/08/06 at 6:20 pm

I'm off to work in a couple of hours from now so I'll talk to you guys tomorrow or Monday. :)

The owner/supervisor has made me the on-call guy for Sunday.That means if he/she is sick or can't come in to work for personal,physical or emotional reasons,He would call me the day before or a few days in advance to let me know what's happening for that Sunday.I can't believe I was stupid enough to turn down a day he wanted to give me and Robin always wanted to push me to work more days and hours.I was thinking about her and she works a 40 Hour Shift Monday-Friday,I work on Saturdays and the only time that we see each other is on Sundays.I don't want her to get all pissy with me because I'm not spending enough time with her or none at all.Robin and I could meet after I leave work depending on what time my shift ends OR Her And I could go out for some dinner after she leaves work during the week but she winds up all tired,takes a shower,watches TV and goes right to sleep after 9pm so that's not good at all.I'll let you know what happens as things progress.

Whoa, that's pretty cool Howard.  8)

Yeah, if/when he calls you and asks you to cover on Sunday you DEFINITELY have to say "yes".  That way you will have gotten him out of a jam, and you will have gotten what you have been asking for.. some more hours.

If Robin does not like it, well, tough.  You have to think about your job and your future and you can not turn down opportunity when it knocks!  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/09/06 at 6:16 am

I now have more hours.Well,it's been increased.Instead of 1pm-7pm,I now work on Saturdays from 12pm-8pm.So that means I leave the house an hour earlier and I leave work an hour later.See,things are looking pretty good for me.I get increased hours,a 25 cent raise and I'm on-call for Sundays so if he/she gets sick I'll definitely be there no matter what time he asks me to work and so far,I've been there almost 6 months which is fabulous for me and everyone else is happy for me as well.  :)

Written By: Gis on 07/09/06 at 8:45 am

Well done Howard, I so pleased for you.  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/09/06 at 7:10 pm

Well done Howard, I so pleased for you.  :)

Thanks Gis. :)

I told Robin and she seems to be happy but she still continues to nag me about looking for a full time job.She still thinks that getting hours increased and being on-call for Sundays Isn't helping much.I'm doing the best that I can every Sunday and that's all I'm working on right now.My job coach is still trying to work with me in getting 6 months of work on my belt before I go out and fill out applications.I have 5 months and in August will make it 6.

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/09/06 at 7:37 pm

Sounds like the job's going well for you Howard.  Excellent.  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/10/06 at 4:56 pm

Sounds like the job's going well for you Howard.   Excellent.  :)

Thanks Midas.I'm working hard as a rock and I get the job done.I inspect thoroughly and examine every table for crumbs and garbage before heading off to the next one.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/06 at 6:41 am

I'm off to work in just a little while so I'll talk to you guys either tomorrow or Monday. :)

So now my hours are from 12pm-8pm instead of 1pm-7pm and I'm also the on-call guy for Sundays that if he/she is sick or just can't come in for any reason,I'll be able to fill in for that day so I'm going to have to be ready and be prepared to come in without any hesitation.Robin's going to have to do something instead of being with me for that day.She can't complain so she's going to have to be prepared herself whenever that time arrives.I got increased hours so now I'm ready for more days whenever that'll be.I'm looking forward to it. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/15/06 at 7:20 am

I'm off to work in just a little while so I'll talk to you guys either tomorrow or Monday. :)

So now my hours are from 12pm-8pm instead of 1pm-7pm and I'm also the on-call guy for Sundays that if he/she is sick or just can't come in for any reason,I'll be able to fill in for that day so I'm going to have to be ready and be prepared to come in without any hesitation.Robin's going to have to do something instead of being with me for that day.She can't complain so she's going to have to be prepared herself whenever that time arrives.I got increased hours so now I'm ready for more days whenever that'll be.I'm looking forward to it. :)

I'm glad for you Howard.  Hard work and clean living have paid off.  :)

I can remember not that long ago you were having a hard time getting a job.  Now you are getting raises and expanded hours.  Nice.  8)

Written By: Howard on 07/15/06 at 9:14 pm

I'm glad for you Howard.  Hard work and clean living have paid off.  :)

I can remember not that long ago you were having a hard time getting a job.  Now you are getting raises and expanded hours.  Nice.  8)

Yes LB,Hard work paid off is correct.I got a raise,I have a 12pm-8pm shift on Saturdays now instead of 1-7 and I'm also an on call guy for Sundays which is fantastic.I've been there almost 6 months and I remember not too long ago that I needed a push from Robin and now I have the push I wanted for quite some time.She still seems to be not as satisfied but she's praying for more days If not most likely a full time job somewhere in the near future.I'm hoping my job coach will help me to get 6 months of work on my belt by August.But so far so good,everything is working well.I'm enjoying the new 12pm-8pm shift with a half hour break and It's very exhausting too. :P

Written By: Howard on 07/22/06 at 8:09 am

I'm off to work in a couple of hours so I'll see you guys tomorrow or Monday. :)

Still working the 12pm-8pm shift and also I'm the on-call guy for Sundays so Robin shouldn't complain If my supervisor needed me for that day she would have to do something else with somebody instead of hanging out with me cause I'll be working.Next Month,I'll be at Au Bon Pain 6 months and My Job Coach will try to work on a new resume for me to get 6 months of work on my belt and to get more days and possibly more hours in the next couple of months or so.He'll have to talk to my supervisor cause He's the one with the connections so I trust him.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/06 at 3:17 pm

Work Yesterday was pretty busy.In 2 weeks,All of the co-workers are having another orientation so I have the read the updated book again to be tested.The supervisor said If you pass,congratulations and If you fail,You have another chance of trying again.

I'm also thinking that I should save my Sundays(once in a while)for Robin.A guy has to have his days off to spend time with his girlfriend.I'm still the on-call guy so I have to be prepared to come in when he needs me if someone gets sick at the last minute.I would like to work Monday-Friday and save the weekends except Sunday for my girl.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/23/06 at 7:04 pm

Work Yesterday was pretty busy.In 2 weeks,All of the co-workers are having another orientation so I have the read the updated book again to be tested.The supervisor said If you pass,congratulations and If you fail,You have another chance of trying again.

I'm also thinking that I should save my Sundays(once in a while)for Robin.A guy has to have his days off to spend time with his girlfriend.I'm still the on-call guy so I have to be prepared to come in when he needs me if someone gets sick at the last minute.I would like to work Monday-Friday and save the weekends except Sunday for my girl.

Howard, it is great that you're the on-call guy.  Means they have confidence in you.

As to saving Sundays, there are millions of average Joes out there who have to work shifts and so on, 'tis a fact of life.

If you can score a Mon-Fri job that will be great, but if "moving on up" means working on a Sunday or a Saturday that I'd say go for it especially since your goal is full time eventually.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/06 at 5:02 pm

Howard, it is great that you're the on-call guy.  Means they have confidence in you.

As to saving Sundays, there are millions of average Joes out there who have to work shifts and so on, 'tis a fact of life.

If you can score a Mon-Fri job that will be great, but if "moving on up" means working on a Sunday or a Saturday that I'd say go for it especially since your goal is full time eventually.

Robin works a 40 hour shift 9-5,I work on Saturdays,She doesn't and we go out on Sundays.She's tired during the weekday and she doesn't want to spend anymore money so I don't know what to do.There has to be time during the weekend for a day off.I don't want Robin to complain that we don't spend time with each other anymore cause I'm working full time if It came down to that.My full time should be during the weekday since I'm being discharged from program in about a month or so and I might quit volunteering,I'm not sure what I'll do yet.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/06 at 6:30 am

Today was a different day.I was called in at spur of the moment which means he needed me right away.It all started when I was with my job coach and he got to talk to my supervisor Mr.Carpenter and he said to tell Howard he can come in from 1pm-7pm today so I had to rush home to change,sweating and all,pat off some perspiration from my body,put on some cologne then I was out the door but I was a little late cause it was such a rush day and I don't work on Wednesdays which was kind of weird for me.I did what I had to do but felt kind of distracted and didn't do much a good job but I did as much as I could and got it done.Then before the supervisor left to go home he told me I can come in tomorrow from 12pm-7pm which is great.I can put in my volunteer hours up until 12 then go downstairs to start work for the day.I'm glad my job coach has connections with Au Bon Pain.That way,I can most likely work my way up to full time eventually and It'll happen soon.They love me there and I do an excellent job.That's all that counts.He also told me that I might receive a call at 7am if he needs me to come to work at 9 or later sI have to be prepared for that.So far so good Au Bon Pain is working well in my favor and mostly everyone is proud of me.I've been there almost 6 months and I'm so happy that I came this far.  :)

Written By: Gis on 07/27/06 at 6:46 am

This is great news Howard, well done you !  :)

Written By: karen on 07/27/06 at 6:47 am

Today was a different day.I was called in at spur of the moment which means he needed me right away.It all started when I was with my job coach and he got to talk to my supervisor Mr.Carpenter and he said to tell Howard he can come in from 1pm-7pm today so I had to rush home to change,sweating and all,pat off some perspiration from my body,put on some cologne then I was out the door but I was a little late cause it was such a rush day and I don't work on Wednesdays which was kind of weird for me.I did what I had to do but felt kind of distracted and didn't do much a good job but I did as much as I could and got it done.Then before the supervisor left to go home he told me I can come in tomorrow from 12pm-7pm which is great.I can put in my volunteer hours up until 12 then go downstairs to start work for the day.I'm glad my job coach has connections with Au Bon Pain.That way,I can most likely work my way up to full time eventually and It'll happen soon.They love me there and I do an excellent job.That's all that counts.He also told me that I might receive a call at 7am if he needs me to come to work at 9 or later sI have to be prepared for that.So far so good Au Bon Pain is working well in my favor and mostly everyone is proud of me.I've been there almost 6 months and I'm so happy that I came this far.   :)

That's great howard.  It shows the supervisor knows you're someone he can count on to help out in an emergency.  

Written By: Howard on 07/28/06 at 6:34 am

Yesterday and Wednesday I got to work some hours but they're just temporary.Wednesday,the supervisor/owner wanted me at spur of the moment which means he needed me right away so I rushed to get my outfit from home and went straight to Au Bon Pain from 1pm-7pm and Yesterday was 12pm-7pm.It's not permanent yet but It might be soon.He has to try to find me more days and hours in his busy schedule.Right Now,Au Bon Pain are hiring more younger teenage kids and older workers so they can get the place going,It's been slacking off somewhat but they're doing their best to improve themselves.I love it there and enjoying the busy day.Saturday will be busy,I know that.My job coach will talk to my supervisor/owner for more days and hours.He's the one with the connections. :)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/28/06 at 2:15 pm

Yesterday and Wednesday I got to work some hours but they're just temporary.Wednesday,the supervisor/owner wanted me at spur of the moment which means he needed me right away so I rushed to get my outfit from home and went straight to Au Bon Pain from 1pm-7pm and Yesterday was 12pm-7pm.It's not permanent yet but It might be soon.He has to try to find me more days and hours in his busy schedule.Right Now,Au Bon Pain are hiring more younger teenage kids and older workers so they can get the place going,It's been slacking off somewhat but they're doing their best to improve themselves.I love it there and enjoying the busy day.Saturday will be busy,I know that.My job coach will talk to my supervisor/owner for more days and hours.He's the one with the connections. :)

you sound like the type of employee who would be a great ambassador for this company - you're obviously a total asset to them Howie

Written By: Howard on 07/28/06 at 4:04 pm

you sound like the type of employee who would be a great ambassador for this company - you're obviously a total asset to them Howie

I work hard,I take no BS,do my job and try to take it seriously but once in a while I'll laugh with my younger co-workers but overall I try to do my best and strive for more days and hours.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/06 at 7:37 am

I'm off to work in about a couple of hours so I'll see you guys tomorrow or Monday,It's going to be a hazy hot and humid day so try to stay cool everyone especially if you're working indoors or outdoors.It'll be in the 90's making the heat index close to 100 degrees.Au Bon Pain should have enough Air Conditioning today now that the dog days of Summer are officially here,Try to stay indoors as best as you can or limit your time outdoors.

As I mentioned in the previous thread,I'm hoping that in a couple of weeks,I'll be getting full time with more days and hours.Wednesday and Thursday were just a test.Right now,He's looking for more time in his busy schedule and trying to fit me in during the week so I'll let you know what happens as things progress. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/29/06 at 9:29 pm

I'm off to work in about a couple of hours so I'll see you guys tomorrow or Monday,It's going to be a hazy hot and humid day so try to stay cool everyone especially if you're working indoors or outdoors.It'll be in the 90's making the heat index close to 100 degrees.Au Bon Pain should have enough Air Conditioning today now that the dog days of Summer are officially here,Try to stay indoors as best as you can or limit your time outdoors.

As I mentioned in the previous thread,I'm hoping that in a couple of weeks,I'll be getting full time with more days and hours.Wednesday and Thursday were just a test.Right now,He's looking for more time in his busy schedule and trying to fit me in during the week so I'll let you know what happens as things progress. :)

Hey Howard, congrats on coming thru for Au Bon Pain the other day and working the extra shifts.  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/30/06 at 7:23 am

Hey Howard, congrats on coming thru for Au Bon Pain the other day and working the extra shifts.  :)

Well,He needed me those days.Wednesday was just a spur of the moment day where I had to rush home and be there from 1pm-7pm,Thursday,12pm-7pm and Saturday was my usual 12pm-8pm so my next paycheck will look so good,I can't wait to spend it.Mr.Carpenter told me he will find more days and hours soon.He just has to look through his busy schedule.He's also the owner of a few franchises,taking care of his wife and 2 kids plus the hiring of new workers.So as you can see,He has his job to do.Mr.Carpenter didn't forget about me.As soon as a shift(s) is/are available,he'll definitely let me know.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/30/06 at 11:25 am

Well,He needed me those days.Wednesday was just a spur of the moment day where I had to rush home and be there from 1pm-7pm,Thursday,12pm-7pm and Saturday was my usual 12pm-8pm so my next paycheck will look so good,I can't wait to spend it.Mr.Carpenter told me he will find more days and hours soon.He just has to look through his busy schedule.He's also the owner of a few franchises,taking care of his wife and 2 kids plus the hiring of new workers.So as you can see,He has his job to do.Mr.Carpenter didn't forget about me.As soon as a shift(s) is/are available,he'll definitely let me know.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/wav.gif

Written By: Howard on 07/31/06 at 4:57 pm

Thanks LB.  :)

Written By: Howard on 08/05/06 at 7:34 am

I'm off to work in about a couple of hours so have a good day everyone!  :)

Today's paycheck is going to look damn sweet since I got to work spur of the moment on that Wednesday 1-7pm and he needed me 12-7 for that Thursday and I worked my regular shift from 12-8 so it could be more than $100,I think.I'm still on call for Sundays whenever he needs me.So I'll have to tell Robin beforehand that we won't be able to go out since I'm working that Sunday whenever that'll be.He also said that I might receive a call on my regular phone or cell phone after 7am to let me know if a shift is available.Things are looking great and hopefully soon full time is around the corner.  :)

Written By: Howard on 08/06/06 at 7:03 am

I had a feeling my paycheck was going to be over $100 and I was right but not as big as I thought it would be cause they take out taxes from Medicare and Social Security and half hour breaks so it was a total of $126.00.But other than that,It was a pretty busy day full of just about everything and the only messy part of the day was that I had to mop up 2 spills from coffee and some kid dropped milk on the floor so that was taken care of.I'm still waiting for more hours and I was thinking about applying to a Baskin Robbins/Dunkin Doughnuts store but I really shouldn't mess up my chances of getting more hours at Au Bon Pain cause it could be soon and I never know when Mr.Carpenter might need me so I'm going to nix the idea for now and see what happens. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/06/06 at 7:20 am

I had a feeling my paycheck was going to be over $100 and I was right but not as big as I thought it would be cause they take out taxes from Medicare and Social Security and half hour breaks so it was a total of $126.00.But other than that,It was a pretty busy day full of just about everything and the only messy part of the day was that I had to mop up 2 spills from coffee and some kid dropped milk on the floor so that was taken care of.I'm still waiting for more hours and I was thinking about applying to a Baskin Robbins/Dunkin Doughnuts store but I really shouldn't mess up my chances of getting more hours at Au Bon Pain cause it could be soon and I never know when Mr.Carpenter might need me so I'm going to nix the idea for now and see what happens. 

Excellent...  If they wanted to bring you on as full time (40 hours a week) would you be ready for that?

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/06/06 at 7:40 am

hehehe  ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/07/06 at 3:49 pm

Excellent...  If they wanted to bring you on as full time (40 hours a week) would you be ready for that?

I'd say I am or close to 40 hours.I want to please myself and please Robin with Her Parents too.My goal is to keep and stay busy.I have way too much time on my hands these days.Working all day would keep me away from coming home and listening to my parents scream and my Father's stupid doo-wop on the computer + I would be making more money and taking Robin out to fancy restaurants every Sunday and we would finally get to have some nookie with each other which I won't get into that right now until it finally happens and I'll let you guys know when. ;)

Written By: Howard on 08/12/06 at 6:38 am

As usual,I'm off to work in about a couple of hours so I'll see you guys tomorrow or Monday. :)

I'm still waiting for more hours so my goal right now is to get about 6 months of work on my belt so then after that,my job coach and myself will see if after 6 months the supervisor at Au Bon Pain has more days and hours for me.If not,Him And I could either look for another part time job for myself and fill out applications or stick with the one I have right now cause they absolutely love me there and I wouldn't want to leave cause the people are nice and the food is scrumptious.I'll let you know what happens.  :)

Written By: Howard on 08/13/06 at 6:55 am

Yesterday,was pretty busy as usual and rarely no complaints at all with the massive crowd.The lunchtime people started from 12pm-4pm then It basically died down from 5pm-8pm so people left to go home and after that,The place was as quiet as a mouse and I got to do my rounds quickly and efficiently.I'm still waiting for more days and hours plus I still have to remind the supervisor/assistant supervisor that I'm still available and flexible.I'm still the on-call guy for Sundays but so far he hasn't called me yet.We'll see what happens and I'll let you guys know the progress that I'm making.  :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/13/06 at 7:03 am

Yesterday,was pretty busy as usual and rarely no complaints at all with the massive crowd.The lunchtime people started from 12pm-4pm then It basically died down from 5pm-8pm so people left to go home and after that,The place was as quiet as a mouse and I got to do my rounds quickly and efficiently.I'm still waiting for more days and hours plus I still have to remind the supervisor/assistant supervisor that I'm still available and flexible.I'm still the on-call guy for Sundays but so far he hasn't called me yet.We'll see what happens and I'll let you guys know the progress that I'm making.  :)
sounds like you're doing good Howard. It may be minimal hours, but hopefully they'll give you more. How long have you had the job now?

Written By: Howard on 08/14/06 at 4:59 pm

sounds like you're doing good Howard. It may be minimal hours, but hopefully they'll give you more. How long have you had the job now?

6 months.  :)

Written By: Howard on 08/19/06 at 7:02 am

Once again,I'm off to work in about a couple of hours from now and still working the 12-8pm shift so I'll see you guys tomorrow or Monday,the latest.  :)

Written By: Howard on 08/20/06 at 7:12 am

Work was pretty interesting yesterday.Some of the co-workers were absent so I had to do 3 rounds of taking out the trash and 3 rounds going to the stinky,smelly trash compactor.That's the worst part of my job.But other than that,everything went well and It wasn't a heavy crowd at all,pretty nice and smooth plus I got to do the sweeping,cleaning and mopping about 2 times which is normal for me.My job coach comes back from vacation tomorrow so I'll be able to talk to him about more hours at Au Bon Pain cause he has connections with the supervisor and he's known him for many years which is excellent for me and I'll be able to get good references. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/20/06 at 7:27 am

Work was pretty interesting yesterday.Some of the co-workers were absent so I had to do 3 rounds of taking out the trash and 3 rounds going to the stinky,smelly trash compactor.That's the worst part of my job.But other than that,everything went well and It wasn't a heavy crowd at all,pretty nice and smooth plus I got to do the sweeping,cleaning and mopping about 2 times which is normal for me.My job coach comes back from vacation tomorrow so I'll be able to talk to him about more hours at Au Bon Pain cause he has connections with the supervisor and he's known him for many years which is excellent for me and I'll be able to get good references. :)

It's cool that you were able to take up the slack when the other guys were absent... I'm sure that the ABP guys have noticed how reliable you are.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/20/06 at 2:51 pm

By the way Howard....

How does it feel knowing that with regard to the job at ABP, you really put your mind to getting a job, worked hard to land it, and are doing well at it six months later?

It's gotta feel pretty good...  8)

Written By: Howard on 08/21/06 at 6:24 am

By the way Howard....

How does it feel knowing that with regard to the job at ABP, you really put your mind to getting a job, worked hard to land it, and are doing well at it six months later?

It's gotta feel pretty good...  8)

I'm really serious about working and putting my mind to it.The only thing that's keeping me from working more hours is my stupid program that I go 2 days a week,Monday and Wednesday and I'm really sick of it.I would like to work on those days or any other day cause I have way too much time on my hands and would like to use it towards Au Bon Pain if only Mr.Carpenter would just make up his mind and do something about this situation already.I also think that my job coach and my case manager are working together in on this.We'll have to see what happens.

Written By: Howard on 08/26/06 at 6:52 am

I'm off to work in about a couple of hours so I'll see you guys. :)

Just last week,I was working on a script with my job coach on how I can be more assertive towards my supervisor about asking him nicely for more hours without getting so nervous and tense.I did it on Thursday and I wound up talking so fast.I'm hoping soon that I'll be able to obtain more hours now that the Summer's coming to a close,So we'll have to see what happens within the next month or so. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/26/06 at 5:54 pm

Have fun at work, Howard.  :)

Written By: Howard on 08/27/06 at 7:13 am

Have fun at work, Howard.  :)

Thanks LB.Work yesterday was pretty busy,same old,same old.I'm still waiting for more hours but it might take a little more time but we'll see about that,maybe sooner than I think.

Written By: Howard on 09/02/06 at 6:52 am

I'm off to work in about a couple of hours so I'll see you LB tomorrow or Monday.Have a fantastic Labor Day,Bye!  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/02/06 at 1:08 pm

I'm off to work in about a couple of hours so I'll see you LB tomorrow or Monday.Have a fantastic Labor Day,Bye!  :)

Will-do Howard.  I gotta clean up a bunch of stuff at home today.  :P

Written By: Howard on 09/03/06 at 7:23 am

Will-do Howard.  I gotta clean up a bunch of stuff at home today.  :P

I had to do a lot of clean up yesterday at Au Bon Pain since it was Labor Day Weekend.When I first came in,I was told that I wasn't scheduled for yesterday cause of the holiday so I phoned my supervisor and he apologized for not telling me earlier or at home.He said that he allows co-workers to take time off to visit friends,family or whoever.Next time,I'll be prepared.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/03/06 at 7:42 am

I had to do a lot of clean up yesterday at Au Bon Pain since it was Labor Day Weekend.When I first came in,I was told that I wasn't scheduled for yesterday cause of the holiday so I phoned my supervisor and he apologized for not telling me earlier or at home.He said that he allows co-workers to take time off to visit friends,family or whoever.Next time,I'll be prepared.

Sounds like it's a good thing you showed up though Howard, or else the place woulda been a mess.  :o

Written By: Howard on 09/04/06 at 9:06 am

Sounds like it's a good thing you showed up though Howard, or else the place woulda been a mess.  :o

The place is always a mess,You should see Au Bon Pain.It's filthy everywhere. :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/04/06 at 11:06 am

The place is always a mess,You should see Au Bon Pain.It's filthy everywhere. :P

Except after your work shift, eh?  ;)

Written By: Howard on 09/05/06 at 2:25 pm

Except after your work shift, eh?  ;)

both before and after. :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/05/06 at 3:00 pm

I'm too lazy to read through this thread, but what are you up to at Au Bon Pain these days, Howard?  How much is the bossman letting you work?  :) 

Hope it's still keeping you busy and motivated :)

Written By: Howard on 09/05/06 at 3:01 pm

I'm too lazy to read through this thread, but what are you up to at Au Bon Pain these days, Howard?  How much is the bossman letting you work?  :) 

Hope it's still keeping you busy and motivated :)

I've been at ABP 6 months now and working towards more hours hopefully. :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/05/06 at 3:02 pm

That is good, the boss must like you to keep you around, you should show him more of your mad skillz :)

Written By: Howard on 09/05/06 at 3:03 pm

That is good, the boss must like you to keep you around, you should show him more of your mad skillz :)

I could ask him what other tasks I can do around ABP

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/05/06 at 3:05 pm

^ Yeah, tell him you're a hard worker, you like to learn new things, and you'd like to work more if possible.  If your schedule is that flexible, tell him that you'd be willing to cover other people's shifts and work on-call if he wants it.  Bosses like to hear that an employee is ready and willing to work.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/06 at 3:06 pm

^ Yeah, tell him you're a hard worker, you like to learn new things, and you'd like to work more if possible.  If your schedule is that flexible, tell him that you'd be willing to cover other people's shifts and work on-call if he wants it.  Bosses like to hear that an employee is ready and willing to work.

I'm doing the best that I can right now

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/05/06 at 3:10 pm

I'm doing the best that I can right now

I'm sure you are, but if you want more hours, tell the boss and show him that you're worth it :)

Written By: Howard on 09/05/06 at 3:12 pm

I'm sure you are, but if you want more hours, tell the boss and show him that you're worth it :)

I'm working together with my job coach on a script to help me be more assertive to my supervisor.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/05/06 at 3:15 pm

I'm working together with my job coach on a script to help me be more assertive to my supervisor.

Sweet, good luck with that.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/06 at 3:15 pm

Sweet, good luck with that.

Thank You

Written By: Howard on 09/09/06 at 7:20 am

I'm off to work in a couple of hours,Bye!  :)

My job coach is still working with me on a script about how I can be more assertive in asking the supervisor for more hours and also now that I've got 6 months of work at ABP I could either keep on reminding the supervisor to call me for more available hours,quit and look somewhere else for a job that has more hours,get another part time job for during the week or just wait it out,stick with the 1 day a week.My job coach is willing to help me in any way,shape or form now that I've got 6 months of work on my belt.I also want Robin and her stubborn Parents to get off my back cause they still don't think that 1 day a week is good enough for their daughter like anyone really cares but that's just a minor thing and I'm not going to worry about this situation.They're just worried about her future with me but I'm not really and they're making her crazy.I'm working on myself and if it means break up and I'm not saying it will,so be it.She's working on herself,going on interviews and hopefully getting new positions and I'm working on myself,that's all there is to it.We're going on 2 years in October and I don't want anything to spoil our future togther.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/16/06 at 7:11 am

I'm off to work in about a couple of hours,Bye!  :)

I may not get more hours right now.The supervisor/owner said to me yesterday that Au Bon Pain is on a downside cause August and September have been very slow for them so he told me that he'll keep me posted whenever.What I want to do since he doesn't have any hours to give me at the moment,I would like to keep Saturdays 12-8 and work with the Shipping and Receiving Department Monday-Friday 9-4 or 9-5.The problem that I have is what if Au Bon Pain wants to give me hours while I have my other job if I get it or not,Should I refuse nicely the more hours at ABP or quit the other position and return to ABP or just keep the Saturdays 12-8 as usual,It's up to me so I thought I'd get your input.We'll have to see how this works out,I'll let you all know.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/16/06 at 2:13 pm

I'm off to work in about a couple of hours,Bye!  :)

I may not get more hours right now.The supervisor/owner said to me yesterday that Au Bon Pain is on a downside cause August and September have been very slow for them so he told me that he'll keep me posted whenever.What I want to do since he doesn't have any hours to give me at the moment,I would like to keep Saturdays 12-8 and work with the Shipping and Receiving Department Monday-Friday 9-4 or 9-5.The problem that I have is what if Au Bon Pain wants to give me hours while I have my other job if I get it or not,Should I refuse nicely the more hours at ABP or quit the other position and return to ABP or just keep the Saturdays 12-8 as usual,It's up to me so I thought I'd get your input.We'll have to see how this works out,I'll let you all know.  :)

Howard, here is my opinion anyway...

I would sign up for the Shipping and Receiving job and also keep the ABP job.

Assuming that you get the Shipping/Receiving job, you could then tell the ABP supervisor about your weekday job, and that you want to keep your weekend shift at ABP.  (But that "extra hours" during the week ill not any longer be possible).

If a full-time job at ABP is what you REALLY want then you could present all this to the ABP supervisor as "I really want to work full time at ABP, I understand that right now you do not have a full time position open, but I would be ready to go full time at ABP when you have more hours available".

In your conversation with the ABP guy, of course, you want to let him know how much you appreciate him hiring you for the past 6 months and that you understand that he does not have full-time available yet.  He'll understand your situation.  Sounds like a nice guy from your posts.  :)

But who knows.. maybe the Shipping/Receiving job will pay more and maybe you will like it better than ABP.  ???

Run this past your job coach, Howard, and see what he thinks too.  I'm just an amateur.  :-X

Written By: Howard on 09/17/06 at 8:28 am

Howard, here is my opinion anyway...

I would sign up for the Shipping and Receiving job and also keep the ABP job.

Assuming that you get the Shipping/Receiving job, you could then tell the ABP supervisor about your weekday job, and that you want to keep your weekend shift at ABP.  (But that "extra hours" during the week ill not any longer be possible).

If a full-time job at ABP is what you REALLY want then you could present all this to the ABP supervisor as "I really want to work full time at ABP, I understand that right now you do not have a full time position open, but I would be ready to go full time at ABP when you have more hours available".

In your conversation with the ABP guy, of course, you want to let him know how much you appreciate him hiring you for the past 6 months and that you understand that he does not have full-time available yet.  He'll understand your situation.  Sounds like a nice guy from your posts.  :)

But who knows.. maybe the Shipping/Receiving job will pay more and maybe you will like it better than ABP.  ???

Run this past your job coach, Howard, and see what he thinks too.  I'm just an amateur.  :-X

My buddy Paul who was talking to his friend Jerry said to him that Shipping/Receiving needs more guys for this position so Paul told me that it's almost guaranteed that I'll get this job but I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch.I got the application,made a copy of it and I'll try to fill it out as soon as possible.This Shipping/Receiving position pays $17,18 an hour so I'm going to take a risk of losing my SSI,SSD Benefits cause in life you have to take risks and with SSI you're allowed to work Part Time and still keep your benefits but with Full Time If you make over $860 a month for 9 months,you get cut off and It might take you a while for you to re-apply for it again.I've been on benefits for 11 years now so It's a big risk.

The supervisor/owner Mr.Carpenter of ABP will definitely understand that If I get this position at Shipping/Receiving,He'll be nice enough to let me keep the 1 day a week and work Monday-Friday 9-5 at the Shipping/Receiving downstairs.I know his personality pretty well now.I would like to tell him sooner about keeping my 1 day week but I would also like to talk this over with my Job coach Mr.Randolph too.He's the one who was working together with the supervisor to help me gain more hours but it's on a downside right now so who knows when he'll keep me posted.My friend(buddy) Paul wants to help me make Robin happy and feel content so I can score(have sex)since Robin wants me to work full time and I think I'm finally ready for a 9-5 shift.Robin said that If I get this job,she'll take Paul and I out for lunch or dinner,seeing is believing.And also if I get full time,Her and I will have sex,if that ever happens.But anyway,I'll keep you posted as usual and I'll let you know whatever becomes of this Shipping/Receiving position and the Au Bon Pain 1 day week. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/17/06 at 5:46 pm

My buddy Paul who was talking to his friend Jerry said to him that Shipping/Receiving needs more guys for this position so Paul told me that it's almost guaranteed that I'll get this job but I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch.I got the application,made a copy of it and I'll try to fill it out as soon as possible.This Shipping/Receiving position pays $17,18 an hour so I'm going to take a risk of losing my SSI,SSD Benefits cause in life you have to take risks and with SSI you're allowed to work Part Time and still keep your benefits but with Full Time If you make over $860 a month for 9 months,you get cut off and It might take you a while for you to re-apply for it again.I've been on benefits for 11 years now so It's a big risk.

Well if you get the full-time job and it works out for you then that would certainly be a SUCCESS.  I imagine that "success" comes when you no longer need the SSI.

Best of luck Howard... keep working towards your life goals!   :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/17/06 at 7:53 pm

Are you thinking of taking this job so that you can work more hours and earn more money, or do you just want the job so that Robin will sleep with you?  If that's the reason, that's a crappy reason to take a job.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/06 at 4:24 pm

Well if you get the full-time job and it works out for you then that would certainly be a SUCCESS.  I imagine that "success" comes when you no longer need the SSI.

Best of luck Howard... keep working towards your life goals!   :)

This would be my very first FULL TIME job.I've never worked a 9-5 shift before,so this would be my first.If I lose my job then I would have to re-apply to SSI but I can still keep my Medicaid.With SSI you have up to 9 months to re-apply or was it if you make over $860 dollars you lose SSI but still keep your Medicaid? But anyway,Thanks LB. :)

Written By: Howard on 09/18/06 at 4:25 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Howard on 09/23/06 at 7:20 am

I'm off to work in a couple of hours so I'll see you guys tomorrow or Monday,Have a Good Rosh Hashanah. :)

I doubt that Au Bon Pain will give me more hours right now since they're on the downside and everything is slow at the moment but still I would like to persue other jobs.I would like to keep the 1 day a week and work Monday-Friday 9-4 or 9-5.My job coach is helping me to talk to the supervisor to see if there are other tasks for me to do but if not,I might want to commit to other positions within the hospital so I can work full time.Something is bound to happen for me sooner or later,I'm trying to be as patient as possible,That's all I can do right now. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/23/06 at 8:57 pm

I'm off to work in a couple of hours so I'll see you guys tomorrow or Monday,Have a Good Rosh Hashanah. :)

I doubt that Au Bon Pain will give me more hours right now since they're on the downside and everything is slow at the moment but still I would like to persue other jobs.I would like to keep the 1 day a week and work Monday-Friday 9-4 or 9-5.My job coach is helping me to talk to the supervisor to see if there are other tasks for me to do but if not,I might want to commit to other positions within the hospital so I can work full time.Something is bound to happen for me sooner or later,I'm trying to be as patient as possible,That's all I can do right now. :)

Happy Rosh Hashanah to you to Howard.  :)

Any news on the Shipping/Receiving job ???

Written By: Howard on 09/24/06 at 7:28 am

Happy Rosh Hashanah to you to Howard.  :)

Any news on the Shipping/Receiving job ???

My job coach told me to bring in the sample job application from my hospital and show it to him so he can help me fill out the part with employment history which I'm having trouble with.He actually talked to the head supervisor of shipping/receiving Mr.Flynn and he said that we don't have positions for shipping/receiving or another words messenger clerk right now only computer work but didn't specify at the time so my job coach faxed his business card to the supervisor so there might be some good news before the end of the year or early next year(2007).I believe that I'm ready to move on to a 40 hour week and one day on Saturday with a day off Sunday(on-call If Au Bon Pain needs me).If I can't get a job within the hospital because I have good references then Him And I will have to try something else.I've been with the hospital almost 2 years(December) from volunteering to Au Bon Pain January 2006 and hopefully a position is open in the hospital,We'll just have to wait and see what my options are.                                     

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/24/06 at 8:40 am

My job coach told me to bring in the sample job application from my hospital and show it to him so he can help me fill out the part with employment history which I'm having trouble with.He actually talked to the head supervisor of shipping/receiving Mr.Flynn and he said that we don't have positions for shipping/receiving or another words messenger clerk right now only computer work but didn't specify at the time so my job coach faxed his business card to the supervisor so there might be some good news before the end of the year or early next year(2007).I believe that I'm ready to move on to a 40 hour week and one day on Saturday with a day off Sunday(on-call If Au Bon Pain needs me).If I can't get a job within the hospital because I have good references then Him And I will have to try something else.I've been with the hospital almost 2 years(December) from volunteering to Au Bon Pain January 2006 and hopefully a position is open in the hospital,We'll just have to wait and see what my options are.                                     

Well I imagine that the folks you've been volunteering with at the hospital will gove you a good reference.

By the way, what is the meaning of Rosh Hoshanah religious holiday?  (I am a Roamin' Catholic)  ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/24/06 at 12:21 pm

Well I imagine that the folks you've been volunteering with at the hospital will gove you a good reference.

By the way, what is the meaning of Rosh Hoshanah religious holiday?  (I am a Roamin' Catholic)  ???

Rosh Hashanah is the Jewish New Year. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosh_Hashanah  --> In case you want to read more. 

Written By: Howard on 09/24/06 at 10:33 pm

Yes.Excellent strong reference. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/24/06 at 10:34 pm

wow, you are up late tonight Howard...what's the occasion?

Written By: Howard on 09/24/06 at 10:35 pm

wow, you are up late tonight Howard...what's the occasion?

I'd thought I'd say hello before heading off to sleep.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/24/06 at 10:40 pm

I'd thought I'd say hello before heading off to sleep.

well hello then...and good-night! :)

Written By: Howard on 09/25/06 at 4:08 pm

well hello then...and good-night! :)

Thanks. :)

Written By: Howard on 09/28/06 at 10:19 pm

Today I got to work 2pm-8pm.What happened was that the supervisor told me this morning that there was a shortage of co-workers so I volunteered from 9-1145am then rush home like a mad animal to get my Au Bon Pain outfit then came back to the hospital to start 2-8 so It was a pretty exhausting day to say the least.The supervisor can count on me for availability anytime.Sundays which are on-calls and during the week except Tuesdays 11am-12pm which I have therapy so today was an exception.He's hiring more teenagers,late teens,early twenties and late twenties and I don't know about the others but some of them are older than I am or younger,I believe.Anyway,It was tiring but refreshing.Now I'm home and almost out of it. :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/06 at 10:23 pm

Today I got to work 2pm-8pm.What happened was that the supervisor told me this morning that there was a shortage of co-workers so I volunteered from 9-1145am then rush home like a mad animal to get my Au Bon Pain outfit then came back to the hospital to start 2-8 so It was a pretty exhausting day to say the least.The supervisor can count on me for availability anytime.Sundays which are on-calls and during the week except Tuesdays 11am-12pm which I have therapy so today was an exception.He's hiring more teenagers,late teens,early twenties and late twenties and I don't know about the others but some of them are older than I am or younger,I believe.Anyway,It was tiring but refreshing.Now I'm home and almost out of it. :P

sounds like you had a very busy day Howard...I hope you are able to get some good sleep so that you can be refreshed for tomorrow.

Written By: Howard on 09/29/06 at 3:47 pm

sounds like you had a very busy day Howard...I hope you are able to get some good sleep so that you can be refreshed for tomorrow.

I tried and I made it through another day.I'm glad I got to work that day and I thanked him for giving me the opportunity to do so. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/06 at 2:12 am

If I get a chance today when out shopping, I may try and visit the Au Bon Pain in Westminster.

Written By: Howard on 09/30/06 at 7:17 am

If I get a chance today when out shopping, I may try and visit the Au Bon Pain in Westminster.

Have yourself a cup of coffee and a Sweet Cheese Danish while you're there. :)

Written By: Howard on 09/30/06 at 7:28 am

I'm off to work in a couple of hours so I'll see you guys tomorrow or Monday. :)

Work was pretty busy that Thursday afternoon and evening and I was glad to have worked that 1 day cause of a shortage of people but today is the usual 12-8.But anyway I think I might keep the 1 day a week and work Monday-Friday within the grounds of my hospital cause I'm so positive that I can get a job there full time and I feel married to it.The application for getting a position in my hospital was sent in so I'll keep my fingers crossed and If they call me,that'll be fantastic.I enjoy volunteering Thursday and Friday 4 hours a day and work at ABP 8 hours on Saturday with a 30 minute break.Good things are coming my way and I know that I'll get this full time job sooner or later.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/30/06 at 6:16 pm

Work was pretty busy that Thursday afternoon and evening and I was glad to have worked that 1 day cause of a shortage of people but today is the usual 12-8.But anyway I think I might keep the 1 day a week and work Monday-Friday within the grounds of my hospital cause I'm so positive that I can get a job there full time and I feel married to it.The application for getting a position in my hospital was sent in so I'll keep my fingers crossed and If they call me,that'll be fantastic.I enjoy volunteering Thursday and Friday 4 hours a day and work at ABP 8 hours on Saturday with a 30 minute break.Good things are coming my way and I know that I'll get this full time job sooner or later.  :)

Awesome news, Howard.  8)  Mozels... :)

Is the ABP also located at the Hospital building? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/01/06 at 6:43 am

Have yourself a cup of coffee and a Sweet Cheese Danish while you're there. :)
Events stopped me from going there yesterday, but I will try another day.

Written By: Howard on 10/01/06 at 7:18 am

Awesome news, Howard.   8)  Mozels... :)

Is the ABP also located at the Hospital building? ???

When you head towards the hospital you go straight in and right there you'll see a sign Au Bon Pain up above you which is a connection to the hospital.Au Bon Pain has been part of Long Island Jewish for as long as I can remember and Long Island Jewish has been around for 52 years helping patients any which way they can.So,I'm glad to be a part of a humongous organization. :)

Written By: Howard on 10/01/06 at 7:19 am

Events stopped me from going there yesterday, but I will try another day.

That's ok,no rush.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/04/06 at 5:11 pm

Hi Howard,

Today I stopped in at the Au Bon Pain located in the US Steel Building in Pittsburgh.  This one is pretty cool.  Very neat and CLEAN, and lots of room to spread out and relax.  (Not like the dirty cramped one by the Duquesne Club).

I got into town a bit early, so I got a newspaper, a large Hot Chocolate and a raisin bagel.  I was hungry and went back for Bagel Number Two.  :P

Written By: Howard on 10/04/06 at 5:56 pm

Hi Howard,

Today I stopped in at the Au Bon Pain located in the US Steel Building in Pittsburgh.  This one is pretty cool.  Very neat and CLEAN, and lots of room to spread out and relax.  (Not like the dirty cramped one by the Duquesne Club).

I got into town a bit early, so I got a newspaper, a large Hot Chocolate and a raisin bagel.  I was hungry and went back for Bagel Number Two.   :P

Wow LB How many bagels did you eat? :o

But anyway I told my supervisor that I'm going on vacation to see my old friend so I won't be in on that Saturday so I'll be in to work the following Saturday,the 14th.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/04/06 at 6:09 pm

Wow LB How many bagels did you eat? :o

He just said he ate 2.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/06 at 6:14 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/04/06 at 6:44 pm

He must have a good stomach,1 is my limit.

How is eating 2 bagels indicative of having a "good stomach"?  Is eating 2 bagels some Herculean feat?

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/04/06 at 9:46 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/04/06 at 9:52 pm

People still post here?

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/04/06 at 10:18 pm

People still post here?

Yeah, why not? ???

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/04/06 at 10:22 pm

Yeah, why not? ???

I don't know... He just got the job a long time ago.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/04/06 at 10:36 pm

Sure, but all sort of cool things happen there.  And Howard has been getting extra hours when the boss needs somebody in a pinch.  I like hearing the update!

Written By: Howard on 10/07/06 at 10:09 am

[quote author=

Written By: Howard on 10/07/06 at 10:10 am

Those Au Bon Pain bagels were gargantuan.

But since I did not have any breakfast, I gobbled two of 'em down.  :P

Yes,they're quite delicious.

Written By: Howard on 10/07/06 at 10:11 am

People still post here?

Yes they sure do.Why not ask a few questions about Au Bon Pain?  ???

Written By: Howard on 10/07/06 at 10:12 am

Going on almost 9 months soon. :)

Written By: Howard on 10/07/06 at 10:15 am

Sure, but all sort of cool things happen there.  And Howard has been getting extra hours when the boss needs somebody in a pinch.  I like hearing the update!

On that Thursday the boss needed me from 2-8pm so I rushed home after volunteering and came back to start work so It was a pretty hectic day for the most part.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/07/06 at 11:52 am

On that Thursday the boss needed me from 2-8pm so I rushed home after volunteering and came back to start work so It was a pretty hectic day for the most part.

Aren't you in Niskayuna?

Written By: Howard on 10/09/06 at 5:58 pm

Aren't you in Niskayuna?

I just came home Danoota. ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/13/06 at 6:08 pm

I have a slight problem.Sometimes I forget to specify and that's a bad habit for me.I told the boss/supervisor that I'm going on vacation to see an old friend of mine and I would see the boss/supervisor in 2 weeks but what I forgot to tell him was that I would be back in 1 week,not 2 weeks.This was a bad case of misunderstanding on my part.I looked at the schedule for tomorrow and It said on the sheet R/O(request off)but I came back from my vacation on the 9th so He's thinking in his mind that I'm still off and that's why he has me for no work tomorrow.So I called ABP this afternoon and the assistant supervisor told me to call in after 8am Saturday Morning to see If I'm available to come in for the 12-8 shift.I hope I don't get into trouble for this cause It was bad communication so we'll see what happens and I'll report back here tomorrow.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/13/06 at 10:15 pm

I have a slight problem.Sometimes I forget to specify and that's a bad habit for me.I told the boss/supervisor that I'm going on vacation to see an old friend of mine and I would see the boss/supervisor in 2 weeks but what I forgot to tell him was that I would be back in 1 week,not 2 weeks.This was a bad case of misunderstanding on my part.I looked at the schedule for tomorrow and It said on the sheet R/O(request off)but I came back from my vacation on the 9th so He's thinking in his mind that I'm still off and that's why he has me for no work tomorrow.So I called ABP this afternoon and the assistant supervisor told me to call in after 8am to see If I'm available to come in.I hope I don't get into trouble for this cause It was bad communication so we'll see what happens and I'll report back here tomorrow.

Howard, I do not think that the boss is going to have a problem.  Through a misunderstanding he thought that you were going to be gone for TWO saturdays and so he set up the schedule accordingly.  Unfortuately that means that you might miss one day of work (the second saturday) but I don't see that he would be PO'd.

You helped him in a pinch on that thursday not too long ago, he knows that you are the Real Deal.  :)

That's my two cents ayway....

Written By: Howard on 10/14/06 at 8:09 am

Howard, I do not think that the boss is going to have a problem.  Through a misunderstanding he thought that you were going to be gone for TWO saturdays and so he set up the schedule accordingly.  Unfortuately that means that you might miss one day of work (the second saturday) but I don't see that he would be PO'd.

You helped him in a pinch on that thursday not too long ago, he knows that you are the Real Deal.  :)

That's my two cents ayway....

Thanks LB. :)

I called the assistant supervisor this morning after 8am and she said that I have to wait till 11am or 12pm to call her back to see if someone had called in.But I told her that I'm scheduled to work at 12pm.So,right now I guess I'll be patient enough and call back later.On the phone,I was really nervous and told her that it was just a misunderstanding on my part and I should've specified 1 week instead of 2 weeks so I don't know what to do in this situation.I really want to work today but I may not be able to cause of what happened before I went on vacation.By next week,I will talk to my job coach and case manager further about this small dilemma.So if I don't go into work today,It's not the worst thing in the world to dwell about.The boss loves me a lot and there will be other Saturdays to work.Next time when a situation arises,I'll learn to be specific.

Written By: Howard on 10/15/06 at 8:05 am

I wasn't able to go to work yesterday.Cause of my stupidity,The assistant supervisor told me on the phone that I had to wait till someone had called in by 11am since my shift starts at 12pm then I could go to work but that wasn't the case.Next Time,I should learn to be specific when talking and learn to communicate properly or else people might get mixed messages just like the supervisor when I told him at first that I was going to be coming back in 2 weeks and what I should've said to him was 1 week which was my own fault.So,I didn't work and didn't get a day's pay.I apologized to the assistant supervisor on the phone and told her that It'll never happen again and said that I'll try to stop by on Thursday before I volunteer and talk to the boss.I'll keep you updated with what's happening.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/15/06 at 1:24 pm

I wasn't able to go to work yesterday.Cause of my stupidity,The assistant supervisor told me on the phone that I had to wait till someone had called in by 11am since my shift starts at 12pm then I could go to work but that wasn't the case.Next Time,I should learn to be specific when talking and learn to communicate properly or else people might get mixed messages just like the supervisor when I told him at first that I was going to be coming back in 2 weeks and what I should've said to him was 1 week which was my own fault.So,I didn't work and didn't get a day's pay.I apologized to the assistant supervisor on the phone and told her that It'll never happen again and said that I'll try to stop by on Thursday before I volunteer and talk to the boss.I'll keep you updated with what's happening.

I think everything will be OK.  They know that you're conscientous.  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/15/06 at 10:12 pm

I think everything will be OK.  They know that you're conscientous.  :)

I know but If I could go back a few weeks ago,That situation would've changed and I wouldn't have been in this mess in the first place but stuff happens and you can't go back now.This problem will be fixed by next week hopefully and I'll let you know what happened.

Written By: KKay on 10/16/06 at 9:06 am

I know but If I could go back a few weeks ago,That situation would've changed and I wouldn't have been in this mess in the first place but stuff happens and you can't go back now.This problem will be fixed by next week hopefully and I'll let you know what happened.

I"m sure things will be ok; it seems like you are a good employee and they will know that when you go in.

Written By: karen on 10/16/06 at 11:10 am

Howard

Just explain that perhaps you didn't make yourself clear and then leave it at that.  Try not to dwell on this.  It was a simple mistake to make.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/16/06 at 11:31 am

Howard, like everyone else has said, don't worry about it.  I see no reason the boss would be upset with you.  Now, if you hadn't told him and he had you on the schedule and you missed, THEN he would have a reason to be po'd.  It's not "a mess", it was a misunderstanding.  They happen, you've got to let it go and move on....

Written By: Howard on 10/16/06 at 5:51 pm

I"m sure things will be ok; it seems like you are a good employee and they will know that when you go in.

Thanks Kay,Next time I'll learn to write stuff down instead of saying it cause It's going to wind up becoming a mixed message and people won't know what I'm talking about..

Written By: Howard on 10/16/06 at 5:54 pm

Howard, like everyone else has said, don't worry about it.  I see no reason the boss would be upset with you.  Now, if you hadn't told him and he had you on the schedule and you missed, THEN he would have a reason to be po'd.  It's not "a mess", it was a misunderstanding.  They happen, you've got to let it go and move on....

Thanks Mama,I just have trouble letting things go and I wind up dwelling on the situation and also I repeat myself but thanks for the advice. :)

Written By: Howard on 10/16/06 at 5:58 pm

Howard

Just explain that perhaps you didn't make yourself clear and then leave it at that.  Try not to dwell on this.  It was a simple mistake to make.

I'll stop by on Thursday morning before I start volunteering at 9am and tell him then.

Written By: Howard on 10/19/06 at 10:53 pm

Well Ladies And Gentlemen,I'm afraid I won't be posting in this thread anymore.I was told by my job coach this afternoon on my cell phone that I got laid off.The reason was because of a business slowdown and workers who should be muti-tasking which I mentioned to you months back and that's what the supervisor who's working together with my job coach had told him.The news really shocked and upset me because I've been working so damn hard after 9 months which is excellent and now I'm out of a job for the moment.Now how can a cafe be slow when a hospital runs 24 hours a day,That's ridiculous.But anyway,I thought I'd come on here tonight and talk to you all and later on in the week tell the other rest of the people including my therapist who knows the supervisor well,case manager,friends,family and I already told my girlfriend which she's not too happy about and she's ready to call it quits by January 2007 if I can't hold down a job or even get a job by that time.But anyway,I'm sorry about the bad news tonight.Tomorrow,I give in my outfit and get 2 paychecks which I'm due tomorrow and one I think next week and that's the end of that.Another job(s) is/are coming soon.My job coach will help me with a Babies R Us application and another department store.Things are looking good but not so good now.Now my Saturdays are free and boring and I'm not on the schedule anymore.Tomorrow I will thank the supervisor greatly for giving me the oppportunity to work in Au Bon Pain.So,That's about it.Take care and I'll talk to you soon and remember to please pray for me. :(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/19/06 at 11:01 pm

Well Ladies And Gentlemen,I'm afraid I won't be posting in this thread anymore.I was told by my job coach this afternoon on my cell phone that I got laid off.The reason was because of a business slowdown and workers who should be muti-tasking which I mentioned to you months back and that's what the supervisor who's working together with my job coach had told him.The news really shocked and upset me because I've been working so damn hard after 9 months which is excellent and now I'm out of a job for the moment.Now how can a cafe be slow when a hospital runs 24 hours a day,That's ridiculous.But anyway,I thought I'd come on here tonight and talk to you all and later on in the week tell the other rest of the people including my therapist who knows the supervisor well,case manager,friends,family and I already told my girlfriend which she's not too happy about and she's ready to call it quits by January 2007 if I can't hold down a job or even get a job by that time.But anyway,I'm sorry about the bad news tonight.Tomorrow,I give in my outfit and get 2 paychecks which I'm due tomorrow and one I think next week and that's the end of that.Another job(s) is/are coming soon.My job coach will help me with a Babies R Us application and another department store.Things are looking good but not so good now.Now my Saturdays are free and boring and I'm not on the schedule anymore.Tomorrow I will thank the supervisor greatly for giving me the oppportunity to work in Au Bon Pain.So,That's about it.Take care and I'll talk to you soon and remember to please pray for me. :(

I'm sorry to hear that Howard...hopefully something better comes your way soon.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/19/06 at 11:01 pm

I'm sorry to hear this Howard, but just because the hospital is busy all the time, doesn't mean people will stop in to get something to eat or drink.  These things happen.  You can't blame yourself.  I hope you hear something about your other possibilities soon.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/06 at 12:02 am

Hang in there, Howard.  I've been in the same situation before.  Employers BS everybody, it's just the nature of the beast. 

Written By: Gis on 10/20/06 at 1:24 am

Oh Howard I am so sorry. Fingers crossed those other applications come in and you get a new job really soon.

Written By: Howard on 10/20/06 at 6:35 am

I'm sorry to hear that Howard...hopefully something better comes your way soon.

Thanks Erin,I hope so.

Written By: Howard on 10/20/06 at 6:36 am

I'm sorry to hear this Howard, but just because the hospital is busy all the time, doesn't mean people will stop in to get something to eat or drink.  These things happen.  You can't blame yourself.  I hope you hear something about your other possibilities soon.

Thanks SM.I hope so too.

Written By: Howard on 10/20/06 at 6:38 am

Hang in there, Howard.  I've been in the same situation before.  Employers BS everybody, it's just the nature of the beast. 

Thanks Max.9 months and almost a year that I've been working so damn hard are right down the tubes. :(

Written By: Howard on 10/20/06 at 6:39 am

Oh Howard I am so sorry. Fingers crossed those other applications come in and you get a new job really soon.

Thanks Gis. :)

Written By: karen on 10/20/06 at 7:39 am

Sorry to hear about this Howard.  Fingers crossed that one of the other applications is successful

Written By: Howard on 10/20/06 at 6:05 pm

Sorry to hear about this Howard.  Fingers crossed that one of the other applications is successful

Thanks Karen. ((HUGS))  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/20/06 at 6:19 pm

I just couldn't believe that I got laid off.For a hospital that is very busy and a cafe that's supposed to be open 24 hours,that's ridiculous.There is something that the supervisor's not telling me.I don't know what it is but I hope to find out from my job coach since he knows the supervisor very well.After 9 months,I feel my comfort zone was taken away and that I got used to the routine every Saturday and looking forward to working 12-8,well not anymore.It was pretty much a distraught day for me cause I gave in the ABP coat and hat but I keep the black khakis since they're mine and I bought them at a department store.After that I thanked the supervisor heavily for giving me the opportunity to work and work those extra days when he needed me and that was a plus and I told him that we'll keep in touch and the good thing is that I can still get a discount since now I'm an ex-employee.The assistant supervisor will miss me cause I got to confide in her and she was like a mother to me.I was her buddy and I will miss her so but Her And I will definitely keep in touch every Thursday and Friday morning before I volunteer.My last paycheck was today and I should be getting one more from the Thursday I worked so I'll ask my job coach cause He knows the system very well inside and out.Anyway,I guess I'm going to get back on my high horse and fill out more applications and this time it will be full time.I'm not giving up (Robin either) and like someone had once said"dust yourself off and try again".This is a fight I'm not going to lose. :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/20/06 at 6:29 pm

I bet you'll get some really good references because of your hard work from the Au Bon Pain job, Howard, so I am confident that you will get a new job soon.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/20/06 at 6:34 pm

Thanks Max.9 months and almost a year that I've been working so damn hard are right down the tubes. :(

Howard, I do not think it was down the tubes.  You got 9 months of a job, where before you did noit have one.  Yes this certainly sux and it is a disappointment, but your work of the past 9 months had value and it has meaning.  You now know that you can perform a job, do it well, and be proud of yourself for that!  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/20/06 at 6:35 pm

I bet you'll get some really good references because of your hard work from the Au Bon Pain job, Howard, so I am confident that you will get a new job soon.

Thank You so much E.I appreciate it. :)

Written By: Howard on 10/20/06 at 6:37 pm

Howard, I do not think it was down the tubes.  You got 9 months of a job, where before you did noit have one.  Yes this certainly sux and it is a disappointment, but your work of the past 9 months had value and it has meaning.  You now know that you can perform a job, do it well, and be proud of yourself for that!  :)

Thanks LB.9 months is a learning experience but I think there's something that the boss is not telling me and I might want to find out from my job coach on Wednesday.Now it's time to move on and to look forward to full time and I can't wait for that. :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/20/06 at 7:58 pm

I just couldn't believe that I got laid off.For a hospital that is very busy and a cafe that's supposed to be open 24 hours,that's ridiculous.There is something that the supervisor's not telling me.I don't know what it is but I hope to find out from my job coach since he knows the supervisor very well.

Howard, just because the hospital is busy and ABP is open 24 hours a day doesn't mean they'll automatically get a lot of business.  Not everyone who goes to the hospital, for whatever reason they're there, is going to stop in and get something.  Not everyone enjoys hanging out in a hospital....they often go to do what they need to do and then leave.  Keeping that in mind, it's very possible that they were going through a slow period and needed to lay people off.  It doesn't mean anyone is lying to you or hiding something from you.  People get laid off for lots of reasons....it sucks, but that doesn't mean there's something shady going on. 

I'm sure you'll find something else soon.  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/21/06 at 7:02 am

Howard, just because the hospital is busy and ABP is open 24 hours a day doesn't mean they'll automatically get a lot of business.  Not everyone who goes to the hospital, for whatever reason they're there, is going to stop in and get something.  Not everyone enjoys hanging out in a hospital....they often go to do what they need to do and then leave.  Keeping that in mind, it's very possible that they were going through a slow period and needed to lay people off.  It doesn't mean anyone is lying to you or hiding something from you.  People get laid off for lots of reasons....it sucks, but that doesn't mean there's something shady going on. 

I'm sure you'll find something else soon.   :)

Thanks SM for understanding.I know what you're talking about and you've definitely got a point there.My Mother thinks If I hadn't taken that day off to see my friend and forgetting to be specific to him about how many weeks to take off maybe this predicament wouldn't have happened in the first place.I did ask for more hours about a month ago and he said back then that there was a business slowdown.It's upsetting that someone would get laid off before the holidays arrive but you've got to move on and see what else is out there. ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/21/06 at 7:18 am

Now that my Saturdays are free,I'm going to have to do my very best to get more applications,show them to my job coach,make copies and have him help me fill them out so I can give them in right away and get the ball rolling so I can get back on my high horse once again.It's tough going back to square one and starting all over and feeling your comfort zone was taken away but I guess that's life,You win some,you lose some.My job coach will try to help me fill out applications to Babies R Us,possibly McDonalds or even Dee Dees(a department store near me).Maybe he'll get some connections to some of the places cause he knows most of the bosses and that could bring me good luck.If It wasn't for a job coach,I would've been lost by now.But anyway,going out there and filling out applications right now is my first priority so when I get the job whether It be full time or part time,I will get more income,make the girlfriend happy once again and then make myself happy which is definitely a first.I'm proud of my accomplishments and what I've been doing lately.I think working hard and making money is definitely a key to a long lasting fullfiling relationship with yourself,your mate,friends and family.O0

Written By: mandamoo on 10/21/06 at 7:35 am

Hang in there Howard - as they say, as one door closes, another one opens  ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/21/06 at 7:38 am

Hang in there Howard - as they say, as one door closes, another one opens  ;)

Exactly,opportunity is knocking so I better go answer the door. :)

Written By: mandamoo on 10/21/06 at 7:40 am

Exactly,opportunity is knocking so I better go answer the door. :)

Good man !  ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/22/06 at 7:26 am

I feel that after 9 months that I've lost my comfort zone,that's how it felt to me.You go to your workplace every time you work and you get used to seeing the same people,same environment and the same building.So now,since I left I'll still be able to get a discount since now I'm an ex-employee and that's mighty big of the supervisor giving me the opportunity to work for 9 months.For the next month or so,I'm going to look for more work to get some new income and I really need the money so desperately cause the money I have in my envelope right now won't last very long plus my bank account and I'm on benefits so I don't know what'll happen in the next month or so.I'll have my job coach to help me fill out applications to look for more work cause I need something to keep me alive and obtaining a full time position will most definitely help.

http://www.jackandfriends.com/store/files/images/large/d_1919.jpg

:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/22/06 at 7:47 am

I feel that after 9 months that I've lost my comfort zone,that's how it felt to me.You go to your workplace every time you work and you get used to seeing the same people,same environment and the same building.So now,since I left I'll still be able to get a discount since now I'm an ex-employee and that's mighty big of the supervisor giving me the opportunity to work for 9 months.For the next month or so,I'm going to look for more work to get some new income and I really need the money so desperately cause the money I have in my envelope right now won't last very long plus my bank account and I'm on benefits so I don't know what'll happen in the next month or so.I'll have my job coach to help me fill out applications to look for more work cause I need something to keep me alive and obtaining a full time position will most definitely help.

http://www.jackandfriends.com/store/files/images/large/d_1919.jpg

:(

It's good that you do the volunteering at the hospital to keep "the routim".  I was unemployed for a year and a half and without a routine it kinda sucked.

Don'tforget that you got that ABP job due to your own hard work, filling out a zillion job applications and yes with the help of your coach and the nice guy at ABP.  But LOTS of people no doubt applied for that job but YOU are the one who scored it!  ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/23/06 at 2:50 am

Sorry to hear about the layoff Howard. Hopefully another door of opportunity will open to you, & now you've got a good solid 9 month job experience to add to your resume. best of luck and prayers to you.

Written By: Howard on 10/23/06 at 10:42 pm

It's good that you do the volunteering at the hospital to keep "the routim".  I was unemployed for a year and a half and without a routine it kinda sucked.

Don'tforget that you got that ABP job due to your own hard work, filling out a zillion job applications and yes with the help of your coach and the nice guy at ABP.  But LOTS of people no doubt applied for that job but YOU are the one who scored it!  ;)

Thanks a lot LB for the positive feedback.I sure need it right now. :)

Written By: Howard on 10/23/06 at 10:42 pm

Sorry to hear about the layoff Howard. Hopefully another door of opportunity will open to you, & now you've got a good solid 9 month job experience to add to your resume. best of luck and prayers to you.

Thanks BF. ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/25/06 at 10:06 am

I'm sorry to hear that you were laid off, Howard, but you have a wonderful can-do attitude about finding a new job, and that will take you a long way.  Best of luck to you!

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/25/06 at 11:28 am

You're doing better than I would Howie, hang in there. My manic depressive self would have gone into a tail spin. ::)

Written By: Howard on 10/25/06 at 10:29 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you were laid off, Howard, but you have a wonderful can-do attitude about finding a new job, and that will take you a long way.  Best of luck to you!

Thanks Ash. ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/25/06 at 10:30 pm

You're doing better than I would Howie, hang in there. My manic depressive self would have gone into a tail spin. ::)

You're manic depressive? ???

Written By: Howard on 10/27/06 at 3:12 pm

I think this thread should be closed because If I'm not working there anymore,what's the point of keeping it up? ???  :(

Of If you want the thread could stay open and people could talk about their experiences at Au Bon Pain.

It feels kind of scary having a free Saturday and not saying"I'm off to work",I've got to get used to the fact that I'm not there anymore.It's going to be hard for me,but I'll try not to dwell on it so much.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/27/06 at 6:51 pm

I think this thread should be closed because If I'm not working there anymore,what's the point of keeping it up? ???  :(

Of If you want the thread could stay open and people could talk about their experiences at Au Bon Pain.

It feels kind of scary having a free Saturday and not saying"I'm off to work",I've got to get used to the fact that I'm not there anymore.It's going to be hard for me,but I'll try not to dwell on it so much.

I'd say close the thread.  ABP was a good experience for you Howard but now it is time to move to new horizons and the new positive developments that will come along.  :)

I stopped off at the ABP in the US Steel Building in Pittsburgh this week, and somehow the bagels did not taste as good.  Whenever I used to stop over there it was almost like "Visiting Howard's place".  Now it is just going to an eatery.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 10/28/06 at 7:09 am

I'd say close the thread.  ABP was a good experience for you Howard but now it is time to move to new horizons and the new positive developments that will come along.   :)

I stopped off at the ABP in the US Steel Building in Pittsburgh this week, and somehow the bagels did not taste as good.  Whenever I used to stop over there it was almost like "Visiting Howard's place".  Now it is just going to an eatery.  :-\\

Maybe we can keep it up if you'd like.

Who here had a good experience at Au Bon Pain?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/28/06 at 4:27 pm

Maybe we can keep it up if you'd like.

Who here had a good experience at Au Bon Pain?

I always have.  When I was in high school, the FNHS would always go to the art museum once a year to see the Impressionist exhibit, and for lunch we'd eat at the ABP across the street.  They always had good food there.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/28/06 at 6:29 pm

I've never had a good experience at Au Bon Pain

then again, I've never had a bad experience at Au Bon Pain

we don't seem to have any stores here.

Written By: Howard on 10/28/06 at 7:52 pm

I've never had a good experience at Au Bon Pain

then again, I've never had a bad experience at Au Bon Pain

we don't seem to have any stores here.

You must be joking.

Written By: Howard on 10/28/06 at 7:53 pm

I always have.  When I was in high school, the FNHS would always go to the art museum once a year to see the Impressionist exhibit, and for lunch we'd eat at the ABP across the street.  They always had good food there.

What's your favorite? :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/28/06 at 8:02 pm

You must be joking.
we don't have Au Bon Pain in Northern Cal.

Written By: Howard on 10/28/06 at 8:05 pm

we don't have Au Bon Pain in Northern Cal.

But ABP has franchises

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/28/06 at 8:07 pm

But ABP has franchises
I'm sure there aren't any in Nor-Cal. but I'm gonna check the ABP site and see where the closest ones are just to be sure. Not that I plan on going, but just out of curiosity.

Written By: Howard on 10/28/06 at 8:11 pm

I'm sure there aren't any in Nor-Cal. but I'm gonna check the ABP site and see where the closest ones are just to be sure. Not that I plan on going, but just out of curiosity.

You can check I'm pretty sure they do

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/28/06 at 8:16 pm

You can check I'm pretty sure they do
I checked and the nearest one is in Las Vegas Nevada. their Franchises are not available in many states and California is one of them. I wonder why that is?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/28/06 at 10:17 pm

But ABP has franchises

So does Chik-Fil-A, but you probably won't find one in Connecticut.  There's a lot of great restaurants that aren't located in every single state.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/28/06 at 10:18 pm

What's your favorite? :)

The sourdough soup bowls.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/28/06 at 10:23 pm

We used to have an Au Bon Pain in our local mall...but it has been long gone. I must say, I've never eaten there before.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/06 at 7:09 am

The sourdough soup bowls.

Out of the 9 months I've worked there not once have I had a bowl of soup and a breadroll.I've sampled the soup but never had a bowl of it.Some of the soups I've sampled were very spicy and hot.What about you,SM?

Written By: Howard on 10/29/06 at 7:09 am

We used to have an Au Bon Pain in our local mall...but it has been long gone. I must say, I've never eaten there before.

You should try it Erin. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/29/06 at 10:17 am

You should try it Erin. :)

I'd have to go to Pittsburgh to do so...maybe sometime I am down there..I will. :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/29/06 at 11:51 am

Out of the 9 months I've worked there not once have I had a bowl of soup and a breadroll.I've sampled the soup but never had a bowl of it.Some of the soups I've sampled were very spicy and hot.What about you,SM?

The ABP I always went to had a great french onion soup in a sourdough bread bowl.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/29/06 at 7:54 pm

I'd have to go to Pittsburgh to do so...maybe sometime I am down there..I will. :)

If you do, Quirk, don't go to the one across from the Duquesne Club, it's kinda nasty.

The one in the US Steel Tower is better, and cleaner.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/29/06 at 9:36 pm

If you do, Quirk, don't go to the one across from the Duquesne Club, it's kinda nasty.

The one in the US Steel Tower is better, and cleaner.

thanks for the advice....I will definitely keep that in mind if I ever venture there to eat! :)

Written By: Howard on 10/29/06 at 10:02 pm

try the coffee and Krispy Kreme Doughnut

Written By: Howard on 10/29/06 at 10:02 pm

The ABP I always went to had a great french onion soup in a sourdough bread bowl.

And what was your dessert?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/29/06 at 10:14 pm

And what was your dessert?

I never ate dessert there.....we didn't have time for a 3 course meal.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/30/06 at 6:59 am

try the coffee and Krispy Kreme Doughnut

to tell you the truth Howard, I can't stand Krispy Kreme donuts....they are way too sweet for my taste! ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/30/06 at 7:22 am

to tell you the truth Howard, I can't stand Krispy Kreme donuts....they are way too sweet for my taste! ;)

I like them, but when I have them... Yech! Soooo sweet! D=

Written By: Howard on 10/30/06 at 4:24 pm

I like them, but when I have them... Yech! Soooo sweet! D=

When I went to a program in the city every day I'd stop by Krispy Kreme's and get a doughnut and coffee and this was almost every day,mind you so imagine how many doughnuts I consumed plus the strong coffee for almost 2 years. :o :P

Written By: Howard on 10/30/06 at 4:24 pm

They're delicious

Written By: Howard on 12/16/06 at 7:27 am

Yesterday I saw someone spill a cup of coffee and It reminded me of the time when I had to clean up those messes.It just made me laugh for a moment there. ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/16/06 at 10:28 am

Ummmmmmmm.... donuts.....

Written By: Howard on 12/17/06 at 7:20 am

Ummmmmmmm.... donuts.....

You hungry now?

Written By: Howard on 02/17/07 at 7:28 am

My job coach told me that the supervisor at Au Bon Pain had left,He must've wound up with too much stress of handling the small cafe so that's why I haven't seen him around on Thursdays and Fridays anymore.So now,Who'll give me a reference?  ???

The old supervisor/manager at ABP was like a good friend and a confidant to me.I'll miss him.  :(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/17/07 at 11:29 am

You hungry now?

Written By: Howard on 02/17/07 at 4:09 pm

I still kind of wish they would've given me more hours and days If It wasn't for the business slowdown. :(

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/01/07 at 3:10 pm

Looks like they found rats at Au Bon Pain in New York (on Third Avenue).  I know this isn't the one you used to work at though

http://www.wrcbtv.com/news/index.cfm?sid=6574

Written By: Howard on 03/01/07 at 3:25 pm

Looks like they found rats at Au Bon Pain in New York (on Third Avenue).  I know this isn't the one you used to work at though

http://www.wrcbtv.com/news/index.cfm?sid=6574

No,I used to work in Long Island,that one was 3rd avenue in Manhattan

Written By: Howard on 02/19/08 at 10:20 pm

I thought I'd bump this up in over a year.Anybody have some delicious experiences at ABP?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/08 at 2:29 am

I thought I'd bump this up in over a year.Anybody have some delicious experiences at ABP?
I have never been to check that branch in London yet, thanks for reminding me.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/08 at 7:20 am

I have never been to check that branch in London yet, thanks for reminding me.

So there are no ABP cafes in London?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/08 at 7:21 am

I found one in Millbank, close to the Houses of Parliament, but have not check on it recently.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/08 at 7:43 am

I found one in Millbank, close to the Houses of Parliament, but have not check on it recently.

How big was it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/08 at 7:48 am

How big was it?
I do not know I been to it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/08 at 7:51 am

It is still online and still could be there.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/08 at 7:57 am

It is still online and still could be there.

That's fantastic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/08 at 8:07 am

That's fantastic.
I will make an attempt to go there for looking on the website the food looks delicious.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/20/08 at 9:36 am

I haven't been to Au Bon Pain since I was like a teenager. We used to have one in our local mall, YEARS ago...but it has not been there for a long time. We don't have one near us now.

Written By: KKay on 02/21/08 at 7:13 am

i like the coffee there.  i did nt eat cuz i don't eat bread/sandwiches.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/08 at 5:45 pm

i like the coffee there.  i did nt eat cuz i don't eat bread/sandwiches.

The coffee there is very strong,they must use good beans.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/08 at 2:59 am

I will be in central London one day next week, I will try and check it out.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/08 at 6:46 am

Try their muffins,those are good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/08 at 6:46 am

Try their muffins,those are good.
Is the Breakfast Section the best?

Written By: Howard on 02/22/08 at 6:49 am

Is the Breakfast Section the best?

Delicious but I haven't tried it from what I've heard.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/08 at 6:51 am

Delicious but I haven't tried it from what I've heard.
I will make it an effort to be there on Wednesday.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/08 at 10:03 am

I will make it an effort to be there on Wednesday.

Beef Stew
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Vegetable Stew
Clam Chowder
Corn and Green Chili Bisque
Italian Wedding Soup
Macaroni and Cheese
Potato Leek Soup
Southwest Vegetable Soup
Thai Coconut Curry Soup
Tomato Cheddar Soup

These are the soups of the day,which one tickles your fancy?  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/08 at 12:24 pm

Beef Stew
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Vegetable Stew
Clam Chowder
Corn and Green Chili Bisque
Italian Wedding Soup
Macaroni and Cheese
Potato Leek Soup
Southwest Vegetable Soup
Thai Coconut Curry Soup
Tomato Cheddar Soup

These are the soups of the day,which one tickles your fancy?  :)

These sound very tempting.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/08 at 7:02 am

They also have good sandwiches and hot too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/08 at 7:03 am

They also have good sandwiches and hot too.
I am tempted to go there before Wednesday.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/08 at 7:20 am

Is It making you hungry? :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/08 at 7:21 am

Is It making you hungry? :)
My taste buds are brusting

Written By: Howard on 02/23/08 at 7:23 am

BACON AND EGG MELT ON CIABATTA

EGG ON A BAGEL

EGG ON A BAGEL WITH BACON

EGG ON A BAGEL WITH BACON AND CHEESE

EGG ON A BAGEL WITH CHEESE

PORTOBELLO, EGG AND CHEDDAR
Portobello Mushrooms, Eggs, and Cheddar Cheese on Ciabatta Bread

PROSCIUTTO AND EGG ON ASIAGO BAGEL

SAUSAGE, EGG AND CHEDDAR ON ASIAGO BAGEL

SMOKED SALMON AND WASABI ON ONION DILL BAGEL

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/08 at 7:38 am

BACON AND EGG MELT ON CIABATTA

EGG ON A BAGEL

EGG ON A BAGEL WITH BACON

EGG ON A BAGEL WITH BACON AND CHEESE

EGG ON A BAGEL WITH CHEESE

PORTOBELLO, EGG AND CHEDDAR
Portobello Mushrooms, Eggs, and Cheddar Cheese on Ciabatta Bread

PROSCIUTTO AND EGG ON ASIAGO BAGEL

SAUSAGE, EGG AND CHEDDAR ON ASIAGO BAGEL

SMOKED SALMON AND WASABI ON ONION DILL BAGEL
Just the egg and bagel will do me fine.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/08 at 5:47 am

Just the egg and bagel will do me fine.

Sounds good to me. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/08 at 5:53 am

Sounds good to me. ;)
Probably that is what I will have.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/08 at 5:59 am

Probably that is what I will have.

Any coffee or tea?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/08 at 6:00 am

Any coffee or tea?
Tea, more than likely to be Earl Grey.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/08 at 6:03 am

Tea, more than likely to be Earl Grey.

I think they have Earl Grey.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/08 at 6:04 am

I think they have Earl Grey.
...and it will have to be black, so there will be no problem over the milk.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/08 at 4:17 pm

...and it will have to be black, so there will be no problem over the milk.

What about sugar to go into your tea?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/08 at 2:04 am

What about sugar to go into your tea?
No sugar for me.

Written By: Howard on 02/25/08 at 6:34 am

No sugar for me.

Right,you like your tea black. ;D ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/08 at 6:35 am

Right,you like your tea black. ;D ;)
As it is poured into the cup, not to strong.

Written By: Howard on 02/25/08 at 7:02 am

As it is poured into the cup, not to strong.

Any other teas you like?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/08 at 7:20 am

Any other teas you like?
Some fruit flavours, has to be strawberry.

Written By: karen on 02/25/08 at 9:17 am

We bought sandwiches from ABP at Orlando airport to eat on the plane.  I had turkey and swiss - it was nice.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/08 at 2:55 pm

Some fruit flavours, has to be strawberry.

strawberry tea?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/08 at 2:55 pm

strawberry tea?
Strawberry and Vanilla

Written By: Howard on 02/26/08 at 2:56 pm

Strawberry and Vanilla

Oh you mean flavoring? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/08 at 3:00 pm

Oh you mean flavoring? ???
It is delicious, but after a few the taste wears off.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/08 at 3:01 pm

It is delicious, but after a few the taste wears off.

So it's not as good as it was before?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/08 at 4:07 am

Due to the protesters on the roof of the Palace of Westminster (Parliament), I will keep away from the area due to the higher level of security brought on.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/08 at 6:57 am

Due to the protesters on the roof of the Palace of Westminster (Parliament), I will keep away from the area due to the higher level of security brought on.

Why? What happened?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/08 at 6:57 am

Why? What happened?
I have posted a thread in the 2000's board.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/08 at 5:27 am

I did get to be there yesterday, and a Estu restaurant now stands on the site.

Written By: Howard on 02/28/08 at 6:42 am

It was 2 years ago this month that I was hired at Au Bon Pain(February 2006)then after that I was working 1 day a week and 9 months later I was laid off cause of business slowdown which I think was at the time a baloney story! ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/08 at 6:44 am

It was 2 years ago this month that I was hired at Au Bon Pain(February 2006)then after that I was working 1 day a week and 9 months later I was laid off cause of business slowdown which I think was at the time a baloney story! ::)
Could the business be taken over by another one?

Written By: Howard on 02/28/08 at 6:48 am

Could the business be taken over by another one?

No,the business is still there,It hasn't been taken over by anything but I heard someone say that it might need to be renovated.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/08 at 6:49 am

No,the business is still there,It hasn't been taken over by anything but I heard someone say that it might need to be renovated.
Maybe the British franchise, has been taken over by another one?

Written By: Howard on 02/28/08 at 6:52 am

Maybe the British franchise, has been taken over by another one?

No,Not That I know of.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/08 at 6:55 am

No,Not That I know of.
It looks like to me that Etsu Restaurants is a chain of Japanese Restaurants, so it seems a new establishment has taken over.

Written By: Howard on 02/28/08 at 7:35 am

It looks like to me that Etsu Restaurants is a chain of Japanese Restaurants, so it seems a new establishment has taken over.

When did that happen?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/08 at 7:57 am

When did that happen?
I cannot say, I check the website again for an indication.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/04/08 at 5:45 am

I really fancy an Au Bon Pain breakfast right now.

Written By: Howard on 04/04/08 at 6:49 am

I really fancy an Au Bon Pain breakfast right now.

Croissant and Tea?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/04/08 at 6:52 am

Croissant and Tea?
Today I truly fancied something heavier.

Written By: Green Lantern on 04/12/08 at 6:39 am

Today I truly fancied something heavier.

Time to lightn up ?

The pain .....the pain ?

Written By: Howard on 04/12/08 at 6:42 am

Time to lightn up ?

The pain .....the pain ?

It's pronounced pan,It's french for Bread.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/08 at 6:53 am

It's pronounced pan,It's french for Bread.
Sounds like the pan in frying pan?

Written By: Howard on 04/12/08 at 7:44 am

Sounds like the pan in frying pan?

Yeah almost similar.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/08 at 7:46 am

Yeah almost similar.
That was how I learned to say it at school.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/13/08 at 8:46 am

I must find an Au Bon Pain in London

Check for new replies or respond here...