inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rant: Those Annoying Forwards

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 01/30/06 at 12:02 pm

I hope it's OK to rant here.  Is anyone else as annoyed as I am with stupid forwards? 

Several people send them to me, and I usually ignore or delete them. 

One former classmate of mine has taken to removing "Fwd" from the subject line and making up her own subject.  I'll open something that says "Important!!!!" and I'll find the same damned e-mail about Sector Zero that I snoped her and her whole distribution list about half a year ago!  Or some variation of "You're My Special Friend."  Yeah, right -- you moved from Jersey to Vegas last year, didn't tell me, and when I found out and e-mailed you asking how you were and what Vegas was like, you never answered!  Yet you send me five "special friend angel" messages per week!

Just now, I got the following from her, which prompted me to finally ask her, politely, to remove me from her list.  Opinions please: am I too sensitive, or does this "joke" make you as sick as it makes me?

"Ray Nagin, the mayor of New Orleans, was asked his views on Roe vs. Wade.
He said he didn't care how people got back to their houses."

Sorry for the rant, and again, I hope this is the right place to put it. 

Subject: Re: Rant: Those Annoying Forwards

Written By: whistledog on 01/30/06 at 12:06 pm

I haven't gotten any forwards in a long time, but in the old days, I used to get so many of them from everyone who was in my address book. 

A few people got pissed off with me cause I didn't respond to some of them.  When I get like over 500 fwd messages a day, I just delete them all  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/30/06 at 12:45 pm

Yes, this is the right place to rant about them. In fact I had been planning to rant about them myself. I must admit that some of them are cute and/or funny-the first several times I see them. But I keep getting the same ones over and over again. There are some people who will send me just about every foward they get.  ::)  I have two friends and one will send something to both of us and the other person doesn't noticed that I had already gotten it and will send it on to me. And Carlos' ex-wife keeps sending us all sorts of political stuff-some we already get, others we could really care less about (though there are a few that she sends that we have enjoyed). I must admit that I send a few off but only if I think that paticular person will enjoy it (I don't send them out to everyone in my address book). Since we are going away, I have asked people to PLEASE limit the amount they send. I really don't mind one or two but sometimes it just gets so overwelming.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/30/06 at 1:00 pm

The other thing that annoys me about "forwards" is when people don't KNOW HOW to forward something and you have to open a bazillion attachments to get to the actual joke or whatever.  I do have a couple of friends that send me everything under the sun.  Most I don't mind except the "if you love God, you'll forward this to XX people", if you forward this to ### people, XXX will send you $$$ (or, you'll have good luck for ### years)- if you delete it, you'll have ### years of BAD luck),  and the "warning: yada, yada, yada" ones (most of which snopes have debunked).  ::)

I agree with you about the bazillion attachements. I do try to clean them up when and IF I resend them out. A lot of them I just zap. (Especially the religious ones.)

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/30/06 at 1:00 pm

I hate forwards....I don't open any emails unless it is from someone that I know. Thank goodness I don't have any friends who send me those annoying things! ::)

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 01/30/06 at 1:11 pm

The thing that really sent me over the edge was the New Orleans one.  For all she knew, she could've sent it to someone who loved someone who DIED in the disaster.  How can a person be so sharp in real life and so brainless when she sends out maik?

Written By: whistledog on 01/30/06 at 1:14 pm

I used to get forwards from people who'd send attachments that were quite large in size.  Since hotmail only holds so much storage, if I didn't check my e-mail for like 4 days, I'd get all of these e-mails from Hotmail telling me that my account size is too large.

I was gettign so much crap, that I just stopped using Hotmail altogether. 

Written By: Howard on 01/30/06 at 4:08 pm

I just keep deleting them one after another >:(

Written By: nally on 01/31/06 at 11:53 am

Often times when I've had a forwarded message, it was usu. forwarded from several different email addresses, and all the lines in the body of the message begin with those "greater than" symbols! >:( >:( So annoying! Not to mention distracting as well. ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/06 at 3:25 pm

Got a good one today:  go to careerbuilder.com and click on monk-email and send one to all of the annoying people in your address book ;D

Would that include you?  ;)

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/06 at 4:46 pm

Of course ;)  I sent one to my friend that always forwards me the "God" emails 8)

Just as long as you don't send them on to me. I get enough of them as it is.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/31/06 at 4:48 pm

Of course ;)  I sent one to my friend that always forwards me the "God" emails 8)

God has an email address? :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/06 at 4:56 pm

I guess people think we heathens need to be "saved" :D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...