inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Latest project I completed

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/02/06 at 8:53 am

This is the first cabinet I've built, did most of the work in an adult education night class, finished it at home.  I did a bookcase too, but haven't taken a picture of it yet.  I used the left over wood to frame a sign I bought Susan for a Valentine's day gift around the time we got engaged two years ago.  The sign is from the management offices of Fleetwood Mac, and is signed by Mick Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks and John McVie.

Susan took the pictures

Subject: Re: Latest project I completed

Written By: karen on 02/02/06 at 9:16 am

So you're not just a computer geek then?  ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/02/06 at 9:30 am

So you're not just a computer geek then?  ;)

I'm an all around geek.  Right now I'm geeking over woodwork, I'm planning on building replacement kitchen cabinets.  I'm also geeking out over screen printing, trying my hand at my own t-shirts.

Last year it was remodeling all three bedrooms in the house.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/02/06 at 9:54 am

Cool!

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/02/06 at 10:14 am

That's pretty cool 8)

BTW, I have the same microwave ;D

got mine at BJs, wanted something with a lot of wattage and a quick defrost.  When I redesign the cabinets, I'm thinking of trying to get it off the counter and into a spot of it's own somewhere.  It's a small kitchen though, so my options are limited.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/02/06 at 10:58 am

So Chucky, when are you going to come up and build us some bookshelves?  ;D ;D ;D  Carlos has been talking about building them but with his back problems, that was put on hold. Hopefully, he will get to them after we get home.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/02/06 at 11:06 am

So Chucky, when are you going to come up and build us some bookshelves?  ;D ;D ;D  Carlos has been talking about building them but with his back problems, that was put on hold. Hopefully, he will get to them after we get home.

My brother wants me to build him some already, sorry...  >grin<  I think I'm going to build his like I built the kitchen cabinet for my mom last weekend, which will make it very heavy, and able to hold a lot of weight.  I've got a cheapie particleboard bookcase like the one he wants built, that holds tons of oversized books on it, and once even had a 12" televison on it, and it never warped, so that's my goal with that one.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/02/06 at 11:18 am

You did a lovely job with those, Chucky!  8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/02/06 at 11:33 am

wow...they both look great! Nice job! :) 8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/02/06 at 11:46 am

This is the first cabinet I've built, did most of the work in an adult education night class, finished it at home.  I did a bookcase too, but haven't taken a picture of it yet.  I used the left over wood to frame a sign I bought Susan for a Valentine's day gift around the time we got engaged two years ago.  The sign is from the management offices of Fleetwood Mac, and is signed by Mick Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks and John McVie.

Susan took the pictures
I have always had an interest in Wall Plaques, especially historic ones on the exterior of buildings, but you signed sign is just superb.

Written By: jackas on 02/02/06 at 1:19 pm

Wow, that looks really good Chucky!  Nice job! :)  I need to take a class like that, I love to build things. 

So when you are done with Cat's bookshelves I need a linen closet.  Thanks in advance. ;) :P

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/02/06 at 1:28 pm

I have always had an interest in Wall Plaques, especially historic ones on the exterior of buildings, but you signed sign is just superb.

I've got a street sign from England in the kitchen as well, it's from "Grosvenor Square".  I've seen two on ebay in the past five years. I lost out on the first one, but I was able to get the second one. 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/02/06 at 1:31 pm

Well, this isn't historic...but I made a ceramic plaque with my last name and it hangs on the front of my house! :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/02/06 at 1:45 pm

Well, this isn't historic...but I made a ceramic plaque with my last name and it hangs on the front of my house! :)

Did you take a ceramics classes, or was it a home kit type of thing?  My mother and some of my aunts used to take ceramics classes, I still have a small ceramic Christmas tree I drag out every year and light up.

I'm thinking of doing some plaster casts of Neal's hands and feet and making them into a plaque.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/02/06 at 2:24 pm

Did you take a ceramics classes, or was it a home kit type of thing?  My mother and some of my aunts used to take ceramics classes, I still have a small ceramic Christmas tree I drag out every year and light up.

I first got hooked on Ceramics when I took a course in college, some 20 years ago...

Today, I am set up at my house with all the equipment I need to do it on my own (i.e. clay, glazes, wheel, kiln, etc.)...and I teach two students who come over every Sunday...

I'm thinking of doing some plaster casts of Neal's hands and feet and making them into a plaque.

I've never worked with plaster, but I did do a couple of ceramics plates with my kids' hand prints on them... :)

Written By: Howard on 02/02/06 at 2:26 pm

Very Nice Chucky.Good Job. :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/02/06 at 2:35 pm

Wow those are nice!

I need more bookcases too (I have ten, but they are overflowing!!)

I wish I were more handy with tools, I'd probably cut my arm off with the saw.

I am most admired of those nifty woodworkering television programs, they make it look so easy.  Ha!

Written By: whistledog on 02/02/06 at 2:49 pm

Those are very nice Chucky :)

Years ago, I made a cabinet for a woodworking class I took.  The thing came out lopsided, and to top it off, I didn't brush off the excess sawdust before I put on the coat of varnish.  It look me longer to sand down the saw dust than it did actually cutting the wood and slapping it together ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/03/06 at 1:33 am

Susan took the pictures
ChuckyG, those look like shot glasses in the cabinet, are they?

Written By: karen on 02/03/06 at 3:56 am

When I redesign the cabinets, I'm thinking of trying to get it off the counter and into a spot of it's own somewhere.  It's a small kitchen though, so my options are limited.

Not sure what layout you have in your kitchen but we have a separate oven and hob.  The oven is in a tower cabinet with the microwave above it.  There are two cupboards, one below the oven and one above the microwave.  We've found this work really well.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/03/06 at 7:47 am

Wow those are nice!

I need more bookcases too (I have ten, but they are overflowing!!)

I wish I were more handy with tools, I'd probably cut my arm off with the saw.

I am most admired of those nifty woodworkering television programs, they make it look so easy.  Ha!

ten bookcases?  I have maybe half that, and got rid of several boxes worth when the wife moved in.  I finally realized that I wasn't going to re-read most of them, and rarely referenced them, so it was pointless to keep them.  If I had the money though, I'd have a nice two story library as part of my house, sliding ladders, skylight, leather seats, etc. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/03/06 at 7:49 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/03/06 at 7:51 am

ChuckyG, those look like shot glasses in the cabinet, are they?

yup, the wife buys them when she visits places.  They're a cheap small collectible you can find nearly anywhere.  She doesn't even drink anything besides wine, but it still makes her look like quite the drunk!  My brother collects them too, he's going to be jealous when he gets to see the nice case she stores hers in >grin<

Check for new replies or respond here...