inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Discuss All Things Tolkien Here, Middle-Earthlings!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/03/06 at 10:59 pm

What's your fav of the three books?

Subject: Re: Discuss All Things Tolkien Here, Middle-Earthlings!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/04/06 at 12:17 am

The Return Of The King. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/04/06 at 12:37 am

I had the Silmarillion for at least 15 years until i finally read it. i tried numerous times but couldn't get a good start. After the movies came out i tried again and was astonished at how good it was, it told of so much LOTR/middle earth history. I will read it again when my friend returns it. It's not an easy read.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/04/06 at 12:46 am

I had the Silmarillion for at least 15 years until i finally read it. i tried numerous times but couldn't get a good start. After the movies came out i tried again and was astonished at how good it was, it told of so much LOTR/middle earth history. I will read it again when my friend returns it. It's not an easy read.

I kind of got it easy since I read Internet tolkien encylopedias  ;D

I love the character of Feanor.  An amazing story.

Are you a Kinslayer?

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 02/04/06 at 12:49 am

I especially liked the lesser-know book, titled...

"DONNIEDARKOQUITMAKINGTHREADSYOUEVILLOT,OMFGKISSMYPROVERBIALTEAT!!11"

...Classic.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/04/06 at 12:52 am

I especially liked the lesser-know book, titled...

"DONNIEDARKOQUITMAKINGTHREADSYOUEVILLOT,OMFGKISSMYPROVERBIALTEAT!!11"

...Classic.
don't  ;D  no more,  ;D  my side is hurtin  ;D  leave the kid alone  ;D 

I kind of got it easy since I read Internet tolkien encylopedias  ;D

I love the character of Feanor.  An amazing story.

Are you a Kinslayer?
I don't remember anything about that, I read it once and I have a bad memory, i read the others many times and would have an easier time discussing those. I've got original copies from the 70's paperback bookset. they're gettin old and they've been read a few times.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 02/04/06 at 12:56 am

don't  ;D  no more,  ;D  my side is hurtin  ;D  leave the kid alone  ;D 

Ah, he knows I'm just joshin', Right ol' buddy, ol' pal..? *gives donnie darko a friendly nudge*

*HAHGRABSDONNIE'SBOOB!!!*.... OWNED!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/04/06 at 1:03 am

Ah, he knows I'm just joshin', Right ol' buddy, ol' pal..? *gives donnie darko a friendly nudge*

*HAHGRABSDONNIE'SBOOB!!!*.... OWNED!
yeah,and he likes the attention

Written By: whistledog on 02/04/06 at 1:16 am

"You look to me like a slacker"

Oh wait, you mean the author J.R.R. Tolkien?  I thought you meant James Tolkan, the guy who played Strickland in Back to the Future ;D

http://www.castlerock.it/dbimg/people381.jpg

"Donnie Darko is a slacker" ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/06 at 2:29 am

http://img-nex.theonering.net/images/scrapbook/1135.jpg

So do I!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/04/06 at 2:32 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/06 at 2:43 am

...and this is awesome, very nice. so that's the plaque at the pub where the 2 men would hangout. That made my day. thanks
Located in a pub in Oxford.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/04/06 at 2:46 am

I would have a visit there if I were touring. Both writers incredibly talented.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/06 at 2:51 am

I would have a visit there if I were touring. Both writers incredibly talented.
...and Oxford is only 50 miles away from me.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/04/06 at 2:56 am

...and Oxford is only 50 miles away from me.
You're close, thats less than an hour away, I'd be having a cup of tea there, but it said they had beer. no matter, the place is filled with their spirit and history.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/04/06 at 3:14 am

I love the LOTR trilogy and usually re-read it every couple of years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/06 at 3:25 am

I love the LOTR trilogy and usually re-read it every couple of years.
I have never read the LOTR trilogy or The Hobbit, or seen the films. Which I consider too long for my liking.

Written By: maddog on 02/04/06 at 5:31 am

I read "The Hobbit" when I was about 10, "The Lord Of The Rings" trilogy when I was about 13 and "The Silmarillion" when I was about 16.
At the time, "The Silmarillion" was my favourite because I was always interested in tales of Greek and Norse mythology and the fantastic world that Tolkien created just amazed me in its scope. To have invented not one but several languages as well is an incredible feat.

When the Peter Jackson films came out I think I enjoyed them all the more because I'd read the books, in fact I didn't take my children to see them because I wanted them to read the books first as well. I've been trying to get my eldest daughter (10) to read "The Hobbit" but she's not keen.

I re-read "The Silmarillion" about 3 years ago and I didn't really enjoy it. At this stage of my life I've got more pressing things on my mind than trying to work out and remember all those family trees and relationships that make it such a complicated story. You can tell that the book was put together after Tolkien's death by his family and archivists from various sources, there's a sense of disjointedness about the book. There's some great narrative in it though, I particularly like the death of Fingon in his battle with the balrog (Gothmog?). Again, having read that made me feel smug when watching the LOTR movie because many viewers, not having read the books, might not really understand what a balrog is when Gandalf confronts one in Moria.

My favourite chapter in the LOTR books was the Ride of the Rhohirrim and I really enjoyed that scene in the film as well. I was so pleased about that, if the film hadn't done justice to that chapter I would have been completely let down but I was almost cheering in the cinema when I watched it!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/04/06 at 1:06 pm

yeah,and he likes the attention

Actually, I'm not really an attention whore. I'm just a postaholic  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/04/06 at 1:14 pm

Actually, I'm not really an attention whore. I'm just a postaholic  ;D
hahhahhah I don't know about that, the 2 maybe go hand in hand.  ;) 
good thread "posta"

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/04/06 at 2:01 pm

hahhahhah I don't know about that, the 2 maybe go hand in hand.   ;) 
good thread "posta"

Well, maybe.  ;D Thanks  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/06 at 6:51 am

Yes I did watch about ten minutes of one of the LOTR movies, I could not get into it.

Written By: karen on 02/28/06 at 7:07 am

I've only read The Hobbit and that was relatively recently, probably about the time the first LotR film came out.  I gues I might try and borrow the others from the library and give them a go.

When the Peter Jackson films came out I think I enjoyed them all the more because I'd read the books, in fact I didn't take my children to see them because I wanted them to read the books first as well. I've been trying to get my eldest daughter (10) to read "The Hobbit" but she's not keen.

We have not long finished reading The Hobbit to our  7-year-old daughter.  She really enjoyed it but did struggle to remember parts of the plot.  Mind you it takes a long time to read at three or four pages a night!  If your daughter likes Harry Potter or Narnia type stuff she would probably enjoy this.

Written By: Gis on 02/28/06 at 7:46 am

The Eagle and Child or The Bird and Baby as we locals call it ! It's a very cool pub I drink there quite often.They still have a couple of the original snugs where you can huddle and suddenly find half the day has gone by, or the pub has completely filled up and you hadn't noticed ! They do a stunning tuna melt sandwich with chips (fries) as well.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/28/06 at 8:38 am

I had a roommate who read LOTR in high school and liked it, but it gave her sleepless nights because at the time it was considered
a book for "hippies".  She was very strict Catholic and believed that since she liked it that she must be tainted in some way and even
went to confession to talk to a priest about it.  Well, I guess she was right because she ended up getting married, having a child,
getting divorced, going back to school, getting a degree, coming out of the closet, and becoming a activist for homosexual rights, all,
except for the first two, were part of those nightmares    ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...