inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Musician Thread

Written By: Apricot on 02/09/06 at 2:16 pm

Here it is.. a thread for all those who make music. You can talk about stuff you've written, your influences, swap lyrics, anything about your own music here. Enjoy.

If this takes off, I'll join in.

Subject: Re: The Musician Thread

Written By: KKay on 02/09/06 at 2:34 pm

Duh. I'm waiting for a reply on the 'avatar' thread and then I realise the musician thread must have already begun...found it!

So all our musicians should record in a cyber studio -

Written By: Apricot on 02/09/06 at 2:42 pm

Duh. I'm waiting for a reply on the 'avatar' thread and then I realise the musician thread must have already begun...found it!

So all our musicians should record in a cyber studio -

That'd be cool... but how to do it..

Written By: KKay on 02/09/06 at 2:43 pm

That'd be cool... but how to do it..

I'll have to check that out. I know it can be done.
PS- please ignore my PM...I"M an idiot. duh.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/09/06 at 2:46 pm

I have a thread for original songs and poetry:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,12895.0.html

Which means I could copy and paste the best stuff from this thread to yours, I'm actually thinking of having mine moved to the song lyric boards, since it doesn't get much attention from anyone besides me, I've done around 80-90% of the posting, mainly to keep it from dropping too far down the board.

Written By: Apricot on 02/09/06 at 2:48 pm

Yeah, I only submit non-parody work, and I don't write much... otherwise, I'd keep that board going... here might be a good place just to exchange samplings.. or a more focused "Strictly music" thing..

Written By: KKay on 02/09/06 at 2:50 pm

Yeah, I only submit non-parody work, and I don't write much... otherwise, I'd keep that board going... here might be a good place just to exchange samplings.. or a more focused "Strictly music" thing..

We may want music, instruments and band topics here and lyrics, songwriting somewhere or all of it here.
I have nothing to say. duh

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 2:50 pm

www.soundclick.com/posseoftwo

That's my bandz muzak.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/09/06 at 2:50 pm

Everything I posted on the thread is original songs, not parodies. When I do song parodies, I submit to my parody author page on amiright.

;) :)

Written By: KKay on 02/09/06 at 2:52 pm

That's my bandz muzak.

I'll listen when I get home- great!  Here's our site: www.thekaytelles.blogspot.com  music to follow (dumb ownership rules!)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 2:54 pm

I'll listen when I get home- great!  Here's our site: www.thekaytelles.blogspot.com  music to follow (dumb ownership rules!)

Thanks! 

Nice page, I'll be sure to check y'all out!  :)

Written By: KKay on 02/09/06 at 2:56 pm

Thanks! 

Nice page, I'll be sure to check y'all out!  :)

nice- how dop you like soundclick? (by the way I love the names- are you the rocker or member 2?)

Written By: Step-chan on 02/09/06 at 3:00 pm

That's my bandz muzak.

And me without headphones at the moment(I use Library internet).

Written By: Apricot on 02/09/06 at 3:03 pm

Everything I posted on the thread is original songs, not parodies. When I do song parodies, I submit to my parody author page on amiright.

;) :)

Ah, really? I assumed you did parodies also. Meh, my bad.

Okay, this sound reasonable to everyone? Here:

1. Only serious musicianship, no novelty work. After that point, it's all good.

Sound fair? There's already a whole section for parodies, like Step-Chan said about.

Written By: KKay on 02/09/06 at 3:08 pm

great. one thing I want to know is how often anyone plays out places or if you on ly record?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 3:14 pm

Sound fair? There's already a whole section for parodies, like Step-Chan said about.

I do some novelty songs (parodies of mainstream hip hop in general), but I do serious music as well.
Our debut Armageddon Express is set for April 2006 release on soundclick.com.
Please download it, i WANT you to steal it!  ;D

PO2 also has a bunch of videos at youtube.com.  Just search for user "Posseof2".

Written By: Tia on 02/09/06 at 3:14 pm

Good god, this thread's already huge.

kkay you cutie you! :)

the site of my old band is

www.junknugget.com

isn't that a dreadful name?

I think you can still click on "listen" and some of the songs come up. dr. humppp and mj-12 are mine. (dr. humppp is about a pervy mad scientist, and mj-12 is about conspiracy theories.)

Now i REALLY need to get some work done.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 3:17 pm

www.junknugget.com

I think you can still click on "listen" and some of the songs come up. dr. humppp and mj-12 are mine. (dr. humppp is about a pervy mad scientist, and mj-12 is about conspiracy theories.)

Junknugget LOL!

Anyway, the Posse does not play live yet.  In fact, our songs aren't even recorded live since they're essentially engineered and synthesized.
I wouldn't rule out some concerts though, maybe 2008?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 3:17 pm

www.junknugget.com

I couldn't open it.  What genre is it?

Written By: KKay on 02/09/06 at 3:17 pm

www.junknugget.com

1.  gee whiz, thanks.
2.. cool site! nice work done on that. was that you on guitar?!
3.  not so horrible.  
for horribleness go to www.rockandrollconfidential.com and look at the gallery ugh.

Written By: Apricot on 02/09/06 at 3:19 pm

great. one thing I want to know is how often anyone plays out places or if you on ly record?

Well, I'm 15 and have no band.. it's just me and my guitars.. one Acoustic, One electric.. so I only record. Eventually, I wanna play places, though.

Here's a brief description of my work:

I work under the name COGS, it's an acronym. My stuff alternates between fairly love song-ish and rather dark trippy music. (If you know these bands, I'm 30% Magnetic Fields, 30% Momus, 20% Beck, 10% Grandaddy and 10% Paper Chase)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 3:20 pm

Well, I'm 15 and have no band.. it's just me and my guitars.. one Acoustic, One electric.. so I only record. Eventually, I wanna play places, though.

Here's a brief description of my work:

I work under the name COGS, it's an acronym. My stuff alternates between fairly love song-ish and rather dark trippy music. (If you know these bands, I'm 30% Magnetic Fields, 30% Momus, 20% Beck, 10% Grandaddy and 10% Paper Chase)

Only heard of Beck  ;D

Are you a Soundclicker?  If not, you should try it out.  I like to spam the message boards there  ;D

Written By: KKay on 02/09/06 at 3:22 pm

Being 15 with guitars is how it begins..it's all downhill from here for you, my friend.  :)
Can you tell me what y ou record with?

Here's my info: I am Karen- I am in The Kaytelles (playing AM radio pop of the 70s).  I write some strange, mellow to strong rock tunes.  I guess I"m (or aspire to be)  40% REM, 20%Joe Henry, 20% TheSundays, 10% Oasis and 10% Thomas Dolby

Next!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 3:26 pm

Being 15 with guitars is how it begins..it's all downhill from here for you, my friend.  :)

Here's my info: I am Karen- I am in The Kaytelles (playing AM radio pop of the 70s).  I write some strange, mellow to strong rock tunes.  I guess I"m (or aspire to be)  40% REM, 20%Joe Henry, 20% TheSundays, 10% Oasis and 10% Thomas Dolby

Next!

Posse of Two is 30% Devo, 20% The Game, 20% Crystal Method, 10% Moby, 5% Linkin Park, 5% Rob Dougan, 5% New Order, and 5% other stuff.  Odd mix  ;D

Written By: KKay on 02/09/06 at 3:27 pm

Posse of Two is 30% Devo, 20% The Game, 20% Crystal Method, 10% Moby, 5% Linkin Park, 5% Rob Dougan, 5% New Order, and 5% other stuff.  Odd mix  ;D

I wanna join your band.
I"m moving.

Written By: Tia on 02/09/06 at 3:27 pm

Next!
The Sundays... *faints dead away.*

"Blind" is one of my favorites of all time. just lovely, lovely, lovely.

I started playing on my 15th birthday. 1984, god help me.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 3:28 pm

I wanna join your band.
I"m moving.

You live in NY right?  I live in Oregon  ;D

But I wouldn't rule out a collab over the Net. Actually, I'm producing for a rapper right now called Young Q Dogg.

Written By: Tia on 02/09/06 at 3:29 pm

I guess the stuff I have is equal parts pink floyd, mmw, corduroy, led zeppelin, tonic, and white zombie.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 3:29 pm

I'm 16, began making beats at age 14  :)

PO2 formed when I was 15.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 3:29 pm

I guess the stuff I have is equal parts pink floyd, mmw, corduroy, led zeppelin, tonic, and white zombie.

Interesting.

You into Classic Rock?

Written By: deadrockstar on 02/09/06 at 3:31 pm

I wanna learn how to play music. It'd be cool to have a bluegrass or jam band, or both..

Written By: Tia on 02/09/06 at 3:31 pm

Interesting.

You into Classic Rock?
Pink floyd, led zeppelin and yes are sorta the triumvirate. Other than that, not so much anymore.

Written By: KKay on 02/09/06 at 3:32 pm

The Sundays... *faints dead away.*

"Blind" is one of my favorites of all time. just lovely, lovely, lovely.

I started playing on my 15th birthday. 1984, god help me.

OK, I"m loving this thread.

Honey, you're right about Blind...great!
I began at 14 or 15...I should be better.  I was doing a lot of stopping and starting cuz of work.
Donnie- good for you. just do it. you'll go far.

you guys rock.

Written By: KKay on 02/09/06 at 3:33 pm

oh yeah- one of the guys from the parody threads came to a show where we opened for a band..that was strange.
meeting someone from here.

Written By: Apricot on 02/09/06 at 3:42 pm

Nice combo of bands.

What do you mean by "It's all downhill from here for you", though?

Written By: KKay on 02/09/06 at 3:44 pm

Nice combo of bands.

What do you mean by "It's all downhill from here for you", though?

it means you 'll be spending all your money on gear and you'll be listening to the music in the air instead of talking to people and
playing all the time..

I meant it in a good way. :)

Written By: Apricot on 02/09/06 at 3:46 pm

it means you 'll be spending all your money on gear and you'll be listening to the music in the air instead of talking to people and
playing all the time..

I meant it in a good way. :)

Ah, I see.

It's hard, as I have no gear and I'm not allowed to get a job. I can only get equipment twice yearly, and in small amounts. So right now I only have an acoustic guitar, an electric guitar, and an amp with 7 affects. I won't be able to get any pedals until July, at which point, I may get 2. Later this year, I could get, maybe, 3 pedals. But that's it.. got no money. XD

Written By: KKay on 02/09/06 at 3:47 pm

Ah, I see.

It's hard, as I have no gear and I'm not allowed to get a job. I can only get equipment twice yearly, and in small amounts. So right now I only have an acoustic guitar, an electric guitar, and an amp with 7 affects. I won't be able to get any pedals until July, at which point, I may get 2. Later this year, I could get, maybe, 3 pedals. But that's it.. got no money. XD

I hear you; it's an expensive hobby.  even at 40 I have to wait until Christmas someitimes. 
gotta run..post ya later!

Written By: Apricot on 02/09/06 at 3:47 pm

I hear you; it's an expensive hobby.  even at 40 I have to wait until Christmas someitimes. 

Good eve, then.

Written By: Tia on 02/09/06 at 3:49 pm

No! you mustn't! I'll have to work now!

Written By: KKay on 02/09/06 at 5:12 pm

No! you mustn't! I'll have to work now!

OK. I;m home, but I'm only here while food is cooking for me and the dog is out poopin'.

Here is my daydream driving home whilst ignoring traffic rules:  we make a whole spectacular recording in cyber studio. then it becomes a giant hit and we only meet each other for the first time and play it live on TV-

then I got home.

Written By: Tia on 02/09/06 at 5:15 pm

OK. I;m home, but I'm only here while food is cooking for me and the dog is out poopin'.

Here is my daydream driving home whilst ignoring traffic rules:  we make a whole spectacular recording in cyber studio. then it becomes a giant hit and we only meet each other for the first time and play it live on TV-

then I got home.
I like that daydream. Fame would ruin us, though.

I use sonar. Which is the latest iteration of cakewalk. Pretty cool, but COMPLICATED.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 02/09/06 at 5:19 pm

That's my bandz muzak.

:o

Written By: KKay on 02/09/06 at 5:20 pm

I like that daydream. Fame would ruin us, though.

I use sonar. Which is the latest iteration of cakewalk. Pretty cool, but COMPLICATED.

I had played with Cakewalk (I think) at a friend's.  in the old band we did everything onto a computer through a very very complicated thing that my friend built and I can't explain.  I was an audio engineer in the 80s and early 90s...then I changed carreers- but I diidn't keep up and now things are getting past me. 
I still mix a great show though.

Written By: Tia on 02/09/06 at 5:23 pm

I had played with Cakewalk (I think) at a friend's.  in the old band we did everything onto a computer through a very very complicated thing that my friend built and I can't explain.  I was an audio engineer in the 80s and early 90s...then I changed carreers- but I diidn't keep up and now things are getting past me. 

Oo! I need your help. I dunno what the eff I'm doing.

Written By: KKay on 02/09/06 at 5:26 pm

Oo! I need your help. I dunno what the eff I'm doing.

well i'll try my best, of course.  if I don't know, I bet someone I know does.

Written By: Tia on 02/09/06 at 5:32 pm

well i'll try my best, of course.  if I don't know, I bet someone I know does.
My newest challenge is upgrading the sound card. Plus I have to get a better cord because the one I'm using now picks up a country station. All my tracks have a country station in the background. Which is less than optimal.

I don't have a studio or anything so I'm doing everything direct injection. I'm not even quite convinced of the feasibility of this but so far I'm soldiering on.

Written By: Apricot on 02/09/06 at 7:14 pm

I'm working on a cover of Momus' "Marquis of Sadness" right now.. the piano's hard to figure out.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 7:52 pm

I'm working on a cover of Momus' "Marquis of Sadness" right now.. the piano's hard to figure out.

Is that indie rawk?

Written By: Apricot on 02/09/06 at 7:58 pm

Is that indie rawk?

Hardly "rawk", and not very indie. Indie Rock annoys me, actually, because it's very repetitive.. Ooooh, this band sounds kinda like The Beatles, and they're really WEIRD! Let's shower them with accolades! That's why I don't like bands like The Shins very much.. they have good songs, but OH, THE OVERRATING AMONG THE INDIE COMMUNITY!

Momus is Indiepop... take pop melodies, put them to non-sucky, Indie-like lyrics. I'll try to put the MP3 up for "Marquis of Sadness" sometime.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/09/06 at 8:10 pm

Hardly "rawk", and not very indie. Indie Rock annoys me, actually, because it's very repetitive.. Ooooh, this band sounds kinda like The Beatles, and they're really WEIRD! Let's shower them with accolades! That's why I don't like bands like The Shins very much.. they have good songs, but OH, THE OVERRATING AMONG THE INDIE COMMUNITY!

Momus is Indiepop... take pop melodies, put them to non-sucky, Indie-like lyrics. I'll try to put the MP3 up for "Marquis of Sadness" sometime.

Hate to break it to ya, but you listen to a lot of indie...

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/09/06 at 8:10 pm

soundclick.com/brainannihilation

Written By: Tia on 02/09/06 at 8:14 pm

I wanna learn how to play music. It'd be cool to have a bluegrass or jam band, or both..

the beauty of having a jam band is you don't need to learn how to play. just get a II-V progression going and repeat it until all the spinning hippies fall over in ecstasy.

bluegrass, though, you definitely need to learn how to play.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/09/06 at 8:16 pm

ah, jams. Frank Zappa... he has certain hand symbols he'd hold up to his band which meant things (Like which key to play in, which instrument to solo, etc.), and they sound great. Half of his released songs were improvised on stage.

Written By: Tia on 02/09/06 at 8:23 pm

ah, jams. Frank Zappa... he has certain hand symbols he'd hold up to his band which meant things (Like which key to play in, which instrument to solo, etc.), and they sound great. Half of his released songs were improvised on stage.
zappa's pretty amazing, though. i'd call him an exception. that surprises me to learn how much of his stuff is improvised, it sounds like they're playing off sheet music!

someone was talking about, learn how to do leads by following chordforms rather than memorizing scales or else you'll end up soloing like zappa. ever notice how his leads sound sorta buzzsaw circular? they never change up.

anyway, i learned by memorizing scales. oh well.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/09/06 at 8:24 pm

Mixing is my main thing. I love it.

I can compose, but other than tongue-in-cheek, I can't write lyrics... at all.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/09/06 at 8:25 pm

zappa's pretty amazing, though. i'd call him an exception. that surprises me to learn how much of his stuff is improvised, it sounds like they're playing off sheet music!

someone was talking about, learn how to do leads by following chordforms rather than memorizing scales or else you'll end up soloing like zappa. ever notice how his leads sound sorta buzzsaw circular? they never change up.

anyway, i learned by memorizing scales. oh well.

well, usually not his whole songs are improvised, but he'll throw improvised bits into a lot of them, while the rest is studio. You can't tell and it (Was) his little secret.

Written By: deadrockstar on 02/09/06 at 8:45 pm

the beauty of having a jam band is you don't need to learn how to play. just get a II-V progression going and repeat it until all the spinning hippies fall over in ecstasy.

bluegrass, though, you definitely need to learn how to play.

And whats wrong with that?  >:( ;)

Bluegrass has had alot of influence on the jamband scene. Jerry Garcia and David Grisman being obvious influences there..

Written By: Tia on 02/09/06 at 9:40 pm

spinning and falling over in ecstasy is wonderful and gets my full endorsement.

playing II-V over and over again, though, strikes me as a bit shambolic. good every once in a while but some jam bands make a bit of a habit out of it.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 9:45 pm

I'm not a big Shins fan myself.  Anyone can learn acoustic guitar, find a drummer and sing.  They're music is too simplistic. 

I'm more into indiepop/post-New Wave stuff, like Postal Service, Tears for Fears, the Killers.  Death Cab and Modest Mouse are great too.

Cogs, have you heard of Talking Heads? I know they're an '80s band, but I've heard they're quite an influence on Modest Mouse, which I believe is your second favorite band, unless you've changed your mind.

Written By: deadrockstar on 02/09/06 at 10:00 pm

I'm not a big Shins fan myself.  Anyone can learn acoustic guitar, find a drummer and sing.  They're music is too simplistic. 

I'm more into indiepop/post-New Wave stuff, like Postal Service, Tears for Fears, the Killers.  Death Cab and Modest Mouse are great too.

Cogs, have you heard of Talking Heads? I know they're an '80s band, but I've heard they're quite an influence on Modest Mouse, which I believe is your second favorite band, unless you've changed your mind.

Well first of all, the Shins use electric in alot of their stuff too so I dunno what you mean there.

Secondly, I guess this means you don't have much of an appreciation at all for folk or bluegrass. What a shame.

Plus, why are convinced The Shins are simplistic? I wonder how much of their music you've actually listened to. So is "Your Algebra" simplistic? Or how about "Caring Is Creepy"? Or "Saint Simon"? The last one contains some great violin. They do lighter poppier tunes, they do more melancholic "out there" tunes(like Caring is Creepy), a couple of their songs sound kinda folk-rocky, they even have a country-ish song with a steel pedal. They're pretty diverse.

I think your opinion of them is illinformed.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/09/06 at 10:24 pm

I love "Saint Simon"

Folk music is like early rock 'n' roll in that it's just the 1-4-5 chords over and over again.

Bluegrass, a little harder, but not much.

But who cares, as long as it sounds good?

Written By: deadrockstar on 02/09/06 at 10:30 pm

Bluegrass, a little harder, but not much.

I dunno, I've heard some pretty fast pickin' in bluegrass.

I wanna learn to play the banjo..

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/10/06 at 12:38 am

Well first of all, the Shins use electric in alot of their stuff too so I dunno what you mean there.

Secondly, I guess this means you don't have much of an appreciation at all for folk or bluegrass. What a shame.

Plus, why are convinced The Shins are simplistic? I wonder how much of their music you've actually listened to. So is "Your Algebra" simplistic? Or how about "Caring Is Creepy"? Or "Saint Simon"? The last one contains some great violin. They do lighter poppier tunes, they do more melancholic "out there" tunes(like Caring is Creepy), a couple of their songs sound kinda folk-rocky, they even have a country-ish song with a steel pedal. They're pretty diverse.

I think your opinion of them is illinformed.

Yeah I haven't heard much Shins, I'll say that.

As for folk and bluegrass, I've never been big into it, but I definitely respect it.  I like music that's more orchestrated, but that's also intelligent and sounds good.  Like Arcade Fire, for instance.

Written By: KKay on 02/10/06 at 8:12 am

My newest challenge is upgrading the sound card. Plus I have to get a better cord because the one I'm using now picks up a country station. All my tracks have a country station in the background. Which is less than optimal.

I don't have a studio or anything so I'm doing everything direct injection. I'm not even quite convinced of the feasibility of this but so far I'm soldiering on.

I would say taht country music in your mixes is less than optimal., yes. LOL...
Hmmm..

why does Tia look like she just got a shovel in the back of the head?

Written By: Step-chan on 02/10/06 at 1:13 pm

I'm sorry, I ended up confusing you. :-[

I do write parodies, I hope you don't mind me going off topic, here's my URL:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/authors/stephenharrington.shtml

I meant to say that I didn't post my parodies on the thread that I started for original works, my bad.

And most of my works on the thread that I started are serious, it just depends on the person. Admittedly quite abit of my original songs take an aquired taste.

Written By: Apricot on 02/10/06 at 2:02 pm

Hate to break it to ya, but you listen to a lot of indie...

Indie is the most broad thing next to "Rock" or "Pop". Some people call anything that isn't on the radio every 30 seconds Indie. Also, he said "indie rawk". Here's the thing:

Indie is like Rock or Pop. There are subgenres. These include:

Indie Rock
Indiepop
Indie "Black"
EMO Indie

And Indie Rock pisses me off.

Written By: KKay on 02/13/06 at 8:57 am

I'm posting here becuase I don't want this thread to fall down into the depths of the site. I can't think of a good topic for the moment...
I thought I'd list the titles of the songs I've written- tell you about htem.

New yorker for a Day: I moved to manhattan, hated it, moved back to staten island. it took 3 months.
Accident D'amour: you dont mean for things to go wrong, they just do.
Telescope: for all you voyeurs out there.
The Highlight of My Day: *smack* "snap out of it!"
The song about that guy: the things he did before he went to prison
Runaway: every jazz chord I know. the moral "no matter where you go, there you are."
12:23: Yes, I love you but if it's a waste of time, let' just forget it.
The Line: that's the last time.  until next time.
Smile: My stories are worse than your stories. so just stop whining now.

Written By: La Roche on 02/13/06 at 9:19 am

New yorker for a Day: I moved to manhattan, hated it, moved back to staten island. it took 3 months.
Accident D'amour: you dont mean for things to go wrong, they just do.
Telescope: for all you voyeurs out there.
The Highlight of My Day: *smack* "snap out of it!"
The song about that guy: the things he did before he went to prison
Runaway: every jazz chord I know. the moral "no matter where you go, there you are."
12:23: Yes, I love you but if it's a waste of time, let' just forget it.
The Line: that's the last time.  until next time.
Smile: My stories are worse than your stories. so just stop whining now.

;D

Love some of those ideas.

I think later when i get home i might find some of the things i did.

Written By: KKay on 02/13/06 at 9:20 am

;D

Love some of those ideas.

I think later when i get home i might find some of the things i did.

great! let's share. you never know! 
(btw, I'm peeking in here through the work day...this numbers project is soo boring that I have
to stop every now and then)

Written By: La Roche on 02/13/06 at 9:24 am

great! let's share. you never know! 
(btw, I'm peeking in here through the work day...this numbers project is soo boring that I have
to stop every now and then)

Figured it would be  ;D

I'll look for something PG-13  ;D

Written By: Tia on 02/13/06 at 12:04 pm

oo! my songs (most of them are adapted from some crap retro pop culture or another):

"benji's revenge" -- instrumental in G, about that lovable mutt!

http://www.geocities.com/jiggs4357/Movies/benji.jpg

it all belongs to you -- bitter love song in 6/8 and drop D tuning

majestic 12 -- an experiment in the altered scale. it's basically a list of conspiracy theories. ("majestic 12" is supposedly the code name of the secret government committee that investigated UFOs under eisenhower...)

dr. humppp -- a sexually fixated song about mad scientists.

penny -- another instrumental about UFOs.

nosewaffle -- an incredibly childish song about daffy sexpots who dress up like hulagirls for halloween but don't use enough grass in their hula skirts.

and, of course, "cannibal holocaust."

Written By: KKay on 02/13/06 at 12:09 pm

More things I like!

"benji's revenge" -- instrumental in G, about that lovable mutt! I love benji!!!!

How I know you're cool:  6/8 and drop D tuning

majestic 12 -- I have read extensively on the subject...almost started a conspiracy theory thread last night after reading  up on Bermuda triangle and the pop sensation it was in the 70s

and, of course, "cannibal holocaust."  Of course!!!

Written By: Tia on 02/13/06 at 12:15 pm

majestic 12 -- I have read extensively on the subject...almost started a conspiracy theory thread last night after reading  up on Bermuda triangle and the pop sensation it was in the 70s

kizmet!

we should start one! or fold it into the witch mountain thread. i'm curious if anyone here knows the real deal about chemtrails.

the first stanza

standard oil, bilderburg, rockefeller warburg
skull and bones initiation
radiohypnotic intracerebral control
behavior modification
project chatter, floating on antimatter
dark side of the moon
darpa cia kgb dia
take me to the blue room

you're supposed to say it sorta fast and whispery. it helps to have a southern accent, like jim marrs.

Written By: KKay on 02/13/06 at 12:18 pm

kizmet!

we should start one! or fold it into the witch mountain thread. i'm curious if anyone here knows the real deal about chemtrails.

cool song; no Bob Lazar? lol..

.yeah, we can move this conversation to Witch Mountain.  No one there but us anyway (this comment will make other people go there now-just watch)
oh yeah, very sad that Peter Benchley just died.

Written By: Tia on 02/13/06 at 12:21 pm

cool song; no Bob Lazar? lol..

bob lazar rules! he and david ickes i have infinite respect for, because they made a killing on this stuff.

Written By: Apricot on 02/13/06 at 2:15 pm

Oooh, I'll post some of my song titles too!

I've done songs including these titles, and a bit about them:

1. Rehab, Where He Finally Wound Up- Story Of Guy What Goes To Rehab. Easy enough.
2. Pink Whore- I wrote this about a girl I know who claims to be loyal to her Christian faith, yet won't stop doing the sex, for some reason.
3. Hallucinations In E Minor- This song.. actually, I have no clue what the f--k it's about.
4. Harmonica Tune- Ever seen your neighbor's basement? Their bedroom? Do you really know who they are and what they do?
5. Yellow Noises- Really Cool Effects I Did With My Guitar That Sounds Like Zapping Sounds.
6. Damaged Melody- Wrote it for my ex-girlfriend.

More later, maybe.. and lyrics? Perhaps.

Written By: KKay on 02/13/06 at 2:42 pm

Oooh, I'll post some of my song titles too!

I've done songs including these titles, and a bit about them:

1. Rehab, Where He Finally Wound Up- Story Of Guy What Goes To Rehab. Easy enough.
2. Pink Whore- I wrote this about a girl I know who claims to be loyal to her Christian faith, yet won't stop doing the sex, for some reason.
3. Hallucinations In E Minor- This song.. actually, I have no clue what the f--k it's about.
4. Harmonica Tune- Ever seen your neighbor's basement? Their bedroom? Do you really know who they are and what they do?
5. Yellow Noises- Really Cool Effects I Did With My Guitar That Sounds Like Zapping Sounds.
6. Damaged Melody- Wrote it for my ex-girlfriend.

More later, maybe.. and lyrics? Perhaps.

I love the titles..looking forward to more..
I might do a lyrics post later. I have too much work to do now.
I forgot to mention a song:
Cupcake- about a girl who works as a stage hand and a guy working there is so annoyed by her presence- she's fugly and shaped like a cupcake, but he's intriged- based on a true story, written by someone else but I still sing it- I love it.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/13/06 at 3:13 pm

Grunge is dead

(Verse 1)
Will it come an equal end, need something later then
Taken out another look, now they know what it took
Thought it was harder now, will there come talent found
Words they are nothing tough, all the things I wrote up

(Chorus)
Take a rainbow, seed it well, conversations sent to hell
A life with no remorse, from a body to divorce
In a den I find for one, nothing here, it's all undone
(Last part of the last chorus)
Start it up, do it again, with this now I will begin(x 2)

(Verse 2)
Take this plight and throw away, knowing it wants to fade
It has no moral bounds, more vulgar than it sounds
Think of what can be brought, in a sage nothing taught
I don't know what's going on, don't know why what is wrong

(Chorus)

(Verse 3)
Why would they say farewell, nothing gained can you tell
Now they try to keep it safe, rendering this ones fate
Clues are found by which one, his shyness knows the sun
I don't want to go away, but I'm afraid I can't stay

(Chorus)

Written By: KKay on 02/13/06 at 3:16 pm

^
nice job...i"m sure it's very different from the tune playing in my head while i read it.

Written By: La Roche on 02/13/06 at 3:20 pm

So I'm writing an ode to my dog.

I think it's high time she was acknowledged as the driving force round here.

I'm of the opinion that there should be more songs about the brilliance of dogs.

Written By: KKay on 02/13/06 at 3:22 pm

I'm of the opinion that there should be more songs about the brilliance of dogs.

I began to write a silly one over the summer.
I forgot how it went-

Written By: Step-chan on 02/13/06 at 3:26 pm

^
nice job...i"m sure it's very different from the tune playing in my head while i read it.

Are you talking about my song? I just copied and pasted it from my thread, first thought up in 2003 and rewrote last year.

The riffs I use are these(I'm not sure how to show the proximities and changes between them though)

Verse
G- 4 2 3 5 7 6 9
D- 4 2 3 5 7 6 9
A- 2 0 1 3 5 4 7

Chorus
D- 5 2 3 2 5 7 5 2 3
A- 5 2 3 2 5 7 5 2 3
E- 3 0 1 0 3 5 3 0 1

Written By: La Roche on 02/13/06 at 3:28 pm

I began to write a silly one over the summer.
I forgot how it went-

'Up at the morning, a quater to three, scratching the door "Hey, i wanna pee"'

Written By: Apricot on 02/13/06 at 6:17 pm

Ween did a song about a kickass dog once... kinda sad, though... and they didn't emphasize how much ass the dog kicked.

Written By: Apricot on 02/13/06 at 7:32 pm

Here's one song.. intended to be done on as a duet on two acoustic guitars.

Rehab, Where He Finally Wound Up

He checked in in December.
His Head Was Clear.
But First He Flushed All His Smokes,
And Gave Away The Beer.
Solf Off All His Pills,
His Forged Prescriptions.
And Now They're Working Away,
And His Old Addictions.

Chorus:
And He's Gonna Be Okay.
And He's Gonna Be Okay.
And He's Gonna Be Okay.
Okay.

He Checked Out That March,
But Started Getting Flashbacks.
Of All The Times Of His Life.
The Peace They Lacked.
All The Pains Of Living,
No Point To Life.
He Wonders To Himself,
"Is It Worth Is Not To Die?"

Chorus:
But He's Gonna Be Okay.
But He's Gonna Be Okay.
But He's Gonna Be Okay.
Okay.

Now It's Cold, Although It's May.
He Can Feel Himself Falling.
It Seems, Though He Knows His Shouldn't,
That His Old Life Is Calling.
Mocking Him, Taunting Him, Shouting,
"Come Back To My Pleasure, Come Back To My Sting!"
He Screams To An Empty Room,
"That Place Didn't Do A F--king Thing!"

Chorus:
But Maybe He's Okay.
He Might Be Okay.
He WILL Be Okay.
Right.

He's Back On Track By July.
The Same Boy He Always Was.
The Drugs and Then The Cutting,
Now He's A Far Lost Cause.
He's Given Up Hope.
He'll F--k It Up Until He's Through.
God Loves His Children.
But This Doesn't Include You.

Chorus:
He's Not Gonna Be Okay.
He's Not Gonna Be Okay.
No, He Won't Be Okay.
Never.

There's also a solo in there.

Written By: KKay on 02/13/06 at 8:32 pm

^
I dig it! I can just hear it.
really good. I'd buy you're album.

Written By: KKay on 02/13/06 at 8:39 pm

Accident D'amour

ranting and chanting the mantra again
over and over say never again
got in the car but I shouldn't have sped
need this as much as this hole in my head

What caused all the trauma
what's the panic for
everybody buckle up for accident d'amour

Spend the night before you leap
two curl up but one can't sleep
refugee of love tugs for pity at my sleeve
the bloody battle ends in truce
but the enemy won't leave

sleep deprived and cautious like
a prisoner of war
someone call the medic for the accident d'amour

get insurance, fire and life
deductible double overnight
sould and body dividends
coverage stops when courage ends

you  think you're protected
don't feel too secure
read the fine print policy
for accident d'amour

Written By: Apricot on 02/13/06 at 8:41 pm

^
I dig it! I can just hear it.
really good. I'd buy you're album.

Wow, thanks. My songs vary a lot, though, if you saw the subject matter. I've done two collections, two "albums", if you would.. they're called Hallucinations In E Minor (my first work) and Serpents In London After The War. I'm between projects, not sure what to do.. I'm thinking the next title may be Cassettes Found In The Walls.

Yours just posted as I was typing... very nice! I like it.. it reminds me of a band, I just can't quite pin who... but I know it seems to have a familiar style.

Written By: KKay on 02/13/06 at 8:42 pm

it's a little twangy, a little eerie witha  cool hook..like a late REM tune

Written By: Tia on 02/13/06 at 11:18 pm

y'all's lyrics are great. i kinda write filler lyrics.  :-[

Written By: La Roche on 02/13/06 at 11:53 pm

Lost in a mind full of lust and rage,
Searching the cemetary for a fresh grave,
Find the sodden dirt and dig deep,
Underneath the ground where you sleep.

Unravel embalming and kiss your tender flesh,
Open your mouth wide and probe to test,
Dagger gleaming in the night,
You can't run or flee or fight,
Your rotting flesh i'll peel away,
and Violate you in my own way.

Maggots crawl and worms devour,
Your perfect skin is turning sour,
Steal your innocence and Virginity,
This sacred act conveys Divinity.

Written By: Apricot on 02/14/06 at 5:20 am

Props on rhyming 'virginity' with 'divinity'.

Written By: Tia on 02/14/06 at 6:42 am

i wanted to do a death metal version of "great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts."

Written By: KKay on 02/14/06 at 8:03 am

this is great- everyone is submitting good stuff.

I dontl know if anyone else who writes thinks the way I do, but I made a mental note to use the word "convey".
???

Written By: Step-chan on 02/14/06 at 11:38 am

y'all's lyrics are great. i kinda write filler lyrics.  :-[

So do I, well depending on the song, it's more of a how can I make this go well(Grunge is dead is one example, more weird than anything else).

Written By: Apricot on 02/14/06 at 1:55 pm

So do I, well depending on the song, it's more of a how can I make this go well(Grunge is dead is one example, more weird than anything else).

I'd feel bad doing filler lyrics... especially because I'm not particularly inventive in my music.. yet.

Written By: Tia on 02/14/06 at 2:00 pm

i like to play. i'm not particularly poetic or bard-like, though, unfortunately.

Written By: KKay on 02/14/06 at 2:01 pm

For your reading (soon I hope listening) pleasure

Runaway

This cold rain
the only anaesthetic for an old and aging pain
like watching small towns shrink behind a speeding northbound train

That cord release
brings sweet relief to a chronocidal thief
who drags behind a dingy dufflebag of disbelief

Combing through the Go Fish deck that immaturity etches
you may claim that you've been framed,
but we still have preliminary sketches
and the negatives that reproduce your graduation pictures
in a book or two that you'll flip through
to combat your homesickness

this cold rain
When it comes it freezes up the buckles and the chains
on your straightjacket overcoat
you wear when you're insane

One cloudy day
when you wake up and realise you'll always be the same
keep your umbrella upside-down in case of falling change

Written By: Step-chan on 02/14/06 at 2:37 pm

I'd feel bad doing filler lyrics... especially because I'm not particularly inventive in my music.. yet.

I don't feel bad, especially if I have all the lyrics in the song that I really want, I tend to be spacey and nonsensical when I write anyway. I like to keep it that way, as long as the central theme works well with them.

Whenever I write intense lyrics, they come off as cheesy part of the time, like in the 39th song I posted on my thread called "Tackata", the theme is serious, somewhat of a rarity for me to do. But some of the lyrics come off awkward.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/14/06 at 2:39 pm

For your reading (soon I hope listening) pleasure

Runaway

This cold rain
the only anaesthetic for an old and aging pain
like watching small towns shrink behind a speeding northbound train

That cord release
brings sweet relief to a chronocidal thief
who drags behind a dingy dufflebag of disbelief

Combing through the Go Fish deck that immaturity etches
you may claim that you've been framed,
but we still have preliminary sketches
and the negatives that reproduce your graduation pictures
in a book or two that you'll flip through
to combat your homesickness

this cold rain
When it comes it freezes up the buckles and the chains
on your straightjacket overcoat
you wear when you're insane

One cloudy day
when you wake up and realise you'll always be the same
keep your umbrella upside-down in case of falling change

I wonder what this will sound like.

Written By: Morton on 02/14/06 at 2:41 pm

You lot should be thankful... I can't write songs, sing or write lyrics  :\'(

Written By: KKay on 02/14/06 at 2:47 pm

I wonder what this will sound like.

It's a slow, jazz-type number. strange. everyone thinks i'ts sad but it's not.

Written By: KKay on 02/14/06 at 2:47 pm

you should do it, then for fun...
if not your fun, my fun. ;)

Written By: Step-chan on 02/14/06 at 2:48 pm

Well, I'm not the most inventive riff writer around and I sound like a nerd when I sing. I've never been a melodic singer, I need to improve my lung power too. Lyric wise, as I said before, some of mine take an aquired taste to like(anything anime inspired in particular). Listen to some of the popular bands that are out there today, alot of them don't sing melodically, you could do just as well as they do, depending on what type of vocals you can do.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/14/06 at 2:48 pm

It's a slow, jazz-type number. strange. everyone thinks i'ts sad but it's not.

Cool. :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/14/06 at 4:07 pm

Indie is the most broad thing next to "Rock" or "Pop". Some people call anything that isn't on the radio every 30 seconds Indie. Also, he said "indie rawk". Here's the thing:

Indie is like Rock or Pop. There are subgenres. These include:

Indie Rock
Indiepop
Indie "Black"
EMO Indie

And Indie Rock pisses me off.

Indie is technically any band on an indie label. But this has turned into a general sound, and it's pretty much commercial, except better??

Written By: Apricot on 02/14/06 at 4:12 pm

Indie is technically any band on an indie label. But this has turned into a general sound, and it's pretty much commercial, except better??

I think that's what it USED to be, but it's since evolved into a much more vague definition with numerous subdefinitions.

Written By: KKay on 02/16/06 at 8:10 am

I think that's what it USED to be, but it's since evolved into a much more vague definition with numerous subdefinitions.

my husband works in an indie firm: I can say that although most of the music is varied, there is a thread that ties it all together- a country sound or a nostalgic late 60s sound...it might be death-electronica, but you'll find harmonies resembling "The Association" or a mandolin in there somewhere.

I"m indifferent to the music he works on.  I am a kind, supportive wife, but it don't mean I have to listen to downtown hipster crap.
:)

Written By: La Roche on 02/16/06 at 8:24 am

I"m indifferent to the music he works on.  I am a kind, supportive wife, but it don't mean I have to listen to downtown hipster crap.
:)

;D

Downtown Hipster Crap.

Be thankfull you didn't have to listen to Helment.. *AHEM!*

Written By: KKay on 02/16/06 at 8:58 am

;D

Downtown Hipster Crap.

Anything is better than some greasy-haired kid in old lady glasses and a bolo tie pretending he's the Boston university version of David Cassidy.

Written By: Tia on 02/16/06 at 12:27 pm

;D

Downtown Hipster Crap.

i know that song note for note baby.

i love their random extra-beat measures. and how you can play it all on two strings.

Written By: KKay on 02/16/06 at 12:30 pm

i know that song note for note baby.

i love their random extra-beat measures. and how you can play it all on two strings.

exactly...good description!
grrrrrrr

Written By: Tia on 02/16/06 at 12:33 pm

exactly...good description!
grrrrrrr
see, lyndon? kk likes helmet. quit listening to that john denver stuff and join the team. help us bring it in for the big win.

Written By: KKay on 02/16/06 at 12:34 pm

see, lyndon? kk likes helmet.

even though she has to sing 'rhinestone cowboy' with the band...*sigh*

Written By: Step-chan on 02/16/06 at 12:57 pm

Geek Retribution Piledriver

(Verse 1)
Thieving minds, onward dive
Creeping up, take no side
I make it, I can break it, I can take it, yes I will
Swim it all, fecal file
Smell it here, run a dial

(Chorus)
Take it, (I'll)make it, heresy
Something, upon, hypocrisy
Willow, torrent, anything
F*** it, tandum, informing

(Verse 2)
Vapor trail, insure now
Soup is loose, tale around
Killer spice, tailor sound
Freak reveal, sandy mound

(Chorus)

(Verse 3)
Doki lights, nothing types
Typsy look, telling hype
Porno theme, guarding juice
Roaches die, silver noose

(Chorus)

Written By: Tia on 02/16/06 at 1:02 pm

i dont mean to be a topic nazi but isn't there a thread devoted exclusively to lyrics?

okay, i am. i'm an ubertopic nazi.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/16/06 at 1:08 pm

i dont mean to be a topic nazi but isn't there a thread devoted exclusively to lyrics?

Yeah, there is, it's my topic, but this thread is flexible and I'm not the only one to post lyrics. ::)

Besides, not many others have posted on my thread, I don't understand why. ???

All I did was copy and paste from my thread.

Written By: KKay on 02/16/06 at 1:19 pm

I guess you're right. I should move my lyrics to the lyrics thread...if I can find it!

Written By: Tia on 02/16/06 at 1:29 pm

I guess you're right. I should move my lyrics to the lyrics thread...if I can find it!
nah, the occasional lyrics are cool. i'm just worried this thread will experience what we in the business world call "scope creep."

Written By: Apricot on 02/16/06 at 2:03 pm

my husband works in an indie firm: I can say that although most of the music is varied, there is a thread that ties it all together- a country sound or a nostalgic late 60s sound...it might be death-electronica, but you'll find harmonies resembling "The Association" or a mandolin in there somewhere.

That's Indie Rock right there... a vague Beatles-esque air, or anything 60s-like... country-like is usually more Indie EMO... which is slowly being replaced by mainstream EMO.

I personally prefer Indiepop and Avant-Garde, which is usually a darker sort of Indie Experimental Music.

Written By: Apricot on 02/17/06 at 2:26 pm

Another thing I wrote... it's a bit less serious... but it's still a song. It's a metaphor for something or another, I think.

Dave Chappelle Floating Above Stacks Of Dead Technology

VHS And Beta-Max,
In The Snow, A Tower Of Black.
Disks, Vinyl, 8-Track,
Piled High, Tremendous Stack.

Dave Chappelle, Floating High.
Above The Stack, In The Sky,
He Descends With DVDs,
Falling Downward From The Trees.

Join The Pile, Never Know,
Why We Sit Forgotten In The Snow.
It's Development, And As We Grow,
We Lose The Past, We Let It Go.

This Pile Is Buried, Another Is Made,
Of Things We Love, Things We Hate,
People, Places, Things, And Games,
Defunct In The Snow.

Written By: KKay on 02/17/06 at 2:31 pm

Reminds me that there's a song called
Richard Pryor Addresses a Tearful Nation by joe Henry which I love..
it's cool! good job!

Written By: Apricot on 02/17/06 at 2:33 pm

Reminds me that there's a song called
Richard Pryor Addresses a Tearful Nation by joe Henry which I love..
it's cool! good job!

Thanks. One of these days, I'll type up more lyrics and put them up here.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/17/06 at 2:36 pm

nah, the occasional lyrics are cool. i'm just worried this thread will experience what we in the business world call "scope creep."

I'm not posting too much of my stuff, as it's already on that thread. It's also to help keep this thread up too.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Written By: Apricot on 02/21/06 at 8:16 pm

The tracklist for my 2nd collection, Serpents In London After The War.

1. Enough
2. To Introduce Strangers
3. Her Poem
4. The Man Who Jumped To Earth
5. Everydayineverywayiamgettingbetterandbetterandbetter
6. Holiday Armageddon
7. The Spine
8. Meghan
9. A Small House On Fire Out In The Woods
10. Serpents In The Water
11. The Most Beautiful Narcissist
12. Song of Twos
13. The Start Of The Second Act
14. Obsessed
15. Universe Ohm
16. Golden Nightmares
17. Ulalume
18. Swinging London
19. Swinging London Reprise
20. The Start Of The Third Act
21. Brittany
22. Discussion
23. Thisalbumisnearlyoverandyetnothinggoodhascomeofit
24. You've All Changed
25. The Isolation Haiku Chain
26. War Is Over
27. Here Comes What We've All Been Waiting For
28. Harmonica Tune
29. Electrocution (Yellow Noises)
30. Nearly 7 Seconds of Pure Sexual Agony
31. The Applause, The Credits, The Exit

And next.. some info on each song!

Written By: Tia on 02/21/06 at 8:26 pm

1. Enough
3. Her Poem
6. Holiday Armageddon
7. The Spine
8. Meghan
12. Song of Twos
14. Obsessed
15. Universe Ohm
16. Golden Nightmares
17. Ulalume
18. Swinging London
21. Brittany
22. Discussion
24. You've All Changed
26. War Is Over
28. Harmonica Tune

wow. these are songs you've actually recorded?

and is track 28 inspired by the one and only voice of Our Lord?

Written By: Apricot on 02/21/06 at 8:32 pm

Here's some info on each song:

1. Enough
Mind you, many of these songs are actually segues ranging anywhere from 6 seconds to 3 minutes. This is the first of them, a scream-type sound from multiple voices.
Another intro-type thing, but this is a song. It uses every synth voice I want to use for the whole album at some point or another.
3. Her Poem
Segue. Reading of a poem my girlfriend wrote.
A song.. fast-paced, on a guitar.  Story-type song.
Segue. A chant of the title, very rapid.
6. Holiday Armageddon
A song about the end of the world being made into a party. One last celebration.
7. The Spine
Segue. TMBG Cover.
8. Meghan
Song about a girl who hurt me a lot.
Segue. A recording of a police eyewitness report in which someone found a house with a dead body inside.
Song in the style of Badly-Drawn Boy.
Segue.
12. Song of Twos
Dance-type number. Inspired by a close friend.
Segue.
14. Obsessed
A song done in the style of Momus' "The Guitar Lesson", in many senses. It builts like that song, it relies on one melody that's built around, it uses repetition of lines, etc.
15. Universe Ohm
Segue.
16. Golden Nightmares
Song. Short One, Trippy.
17. Ulalume
Reading of the Edgar Allan Poe work.
18. Swinging London
Magnetic Fields Cover.
Reprise. Duh.
Segue. Kinda like the second act one, but for the third.
21. Brittany
Song written for my ex at the time we were dating.
22. Discussion
Talk I had once with a friend, recorded.
Segue. Mocks my own album a bit.
24. You've All Changed
Another nod to Momus.
Segue. 8 Haikus I wrote which form a story.
26. War Is Over
Old Time Relijun Cover
Buildup to the end.
28. Harmonica Tune
Song using only harmonica and voice. It's about a man who kills children and rapes women, keeping the bodies in his basement. Song cuts off when he commits suicide by electrocution.
Segue. I figured out how to make my guitar produce a zapping-type sound, and an explosion-type sound.
Ending resolution.
Ending. I speak through the credits for the album, there's applause, and then a 10-minute spoken closing.

Written By: Apricot on 02/21/06 at 8:33 pm

and is track 28 inspired by the one and only voice of Our Lord?

See below.

Written By: Tia on 02/21/06 at 8:34 pm

See below.
below = above.:)

Written By: Apricot on 02/21/06 at 8:36 pm

below = above.:)

;D Ah, right, forgot about that.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/21/06 at 9:09 pm

I'm currently writing an album where each song parodies a different genre. For example, I've got a spotaneous rap-off with Andy (Formerly alcoholica) that I'm hoping he'll record his parts for... I dunno.

I'll make fake band names for each too.

track listing after I make it!

Written By: KKay on 02/22/06 at 10:48 am

;D Ah, right, forgot about that.

I love the description of your recording...how are we going to get ot hear it?
kk

Written By: Apricot on 02/22/06 at 3:02 pm

I love the description of your recording...how are we going to get ot hear it?
kk

Well, I'm gonna try to host some MP3s online and put links here, if I ever get a chance to record the damn songs to my computer.

Written By: KKay on 02/22/06 at 3:46 pm

Well, I'm gonna try to host some MP3s online and put links here, if I ever get a chance to record the damn songs to my computer.

same here...it takes a lot of time that I don't have.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/22/06 at 4:01 pm

1. Enough
3. Her Poem
6. Holiday Armageddon
7. The Spine
8. Meghan
12. Song of Twos
14. Obsessed
15. Universe Ohm
16. Golden Nightmares
17. Ulalume
18. Swinging London
21. Brittany
22. Discussion
24. You've All Changed
26. War Is Over
28. Harmonica Tune

Sweet!

Why don't you Soundclick?  Mine's gotten like over 700 views since December.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/22/06 at 4:11 pm

Sweet!

Why don't you Soundclick?   Mine's gotten like over 700 views since December.
Why do I only have 12 page views since January?!  :\'(

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/22/06 at 5:21 pm

Why do I only have 12 page views since January?!  :\'(

That sux  :\'(

Wanna know a secret?

SPAM the message boards of the biggest acts in your genre.  The hits will fly in.

Written By: Apricot on 02/22/06 at 8:34 pm

Why don't you Soundclick?   Mine's gotten like over 700 views since December.

Maybe I will... if my parents don't come home early tomorrow, I'm gonna record at least one song.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/22/06 at 9:19 pm

Maybe I will... if my parents don't come home early tomorrow, I'm gonna record at least one song.

Sweet!

Send me a link.  Maybe some time we could collab over the Internet or something, if you'd be interested.

Written By: Apricot on 03/24/06 at 3:19 pm

My Soundclick has four covers on it.

Written By: Apricot on 03/24/06 at 3:22 pm

If you check, be sure to get "Devil Town" and "Fall of the All Start High School Runningback".. they're my best works, people say.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/24/06 at 3:58 pm

Alrighty!  I actually checket out the first two recordings a few weeks back, keep servin' the music up.

Have you checked out mine?

Written By: Apricot on 03/24/06 at 4:14 pm

Have you checked out mine?

I don't have the link.. is it soundclick.com/posseoftwo ?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/24/06 at 4:17 pm

I don't have the link.. is it soundclick.com/posseoftwo ?

Yup. I'll definitely check you out, and vote you hot.

Written By: Apricot on 03/24/06 at 4:20 pm

Yup. I'll definitely check you out, and vote you hot.

I'll take a gander at your stuff at some point, then.. not right now, it's not a good time, but at some point, I will.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/24/06 at 4:26 pm

I'll take a gander at your stuff at some point, then.. not right now, it's not a good time, but at some point, I will.

Alrighty, no rush. Thanks. :)

I checked out "Devil Town" ... that's pretty sweet.  Minimalist, but you definitely have potential if you can get a drummer or something.  Even as it is it sounds better than my work.

Keep it up.  8)

Written By: Tia on 03/24/06 at 4:38 pm

I

Written By: KKay on 03/24/06 at 6:19 pm

I

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/24/06 at 6:28 pm

I wondered where this went...

Soundclick.com/brainannihilation yo.

Of course, I already posted this, but advertisement never hurts!

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/24/06 at 6:38 pm

I wish I had a band. It's hard to find people who like me, much less ones that play instruments... ::)

Written By: Tia on 03/24/06 at 6:47 pm

I wish I had a band. It's hard to find people who like me, much less ones that play instruments... ::)
everyone I

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/24/06 at 6:48 pm

everyone I

Written By: Apricot on 03/24/06 at 9:09 pm

Alrighty, no rush. Thanks. :)

I checked out "Devil Town" ... that's pretty sweet.  Minimalist, but you definitely have potential if you can get a drummer or something.  Even as it is it sounds better than my work.

Keep it up.  8)

Well, Devil Town is actually supposed to be minimalist. The Daniel Johnston version, the original, is a capella. I like it with few instruments.

But there are some songs I do need more for.

Written By: La Roche on 03/24/06 at 11:35 pm

everyone I

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/24/06 at 11:45 pm

Well, Devil Town is actually supposed to be minimalist. The Daniel Johnston version, the original, is a capella. I like it with few instruments.

But there are some songs I do need more for.

Ah, okey. 

Written By: Tia on 03/25/06 at 7:29 am

Ok, I'm not as bad as that.

But a fella that I did some stuff with.. I fuuckin hated.

He was a great drummer.. he was the biggest prick I ever met. We'd literally finish and start fighting.
did you listen to the end of that hanzel und gretyl song like i told you, where they start yelling at each other? so interesting, i think you need that to make good music. i want to write their biography. i got a real biography backlog building up.

my last band, we were fighting all the time, AND the music was kinda suckin'. oh well.

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/25/06 at 8:23 am

did you listen to the end of that hanzel und gretyl song like i told you, where they start yelling at each other? so interesting, i think you need that to make good music. i want to write their biography. i got a real biography backlog building up.

my last band, we were fighting all the time, AND the music was kinda suckin'. oh well.

So then did you show him Hanzel und Gretyl?

It was ok...

Written By: Tia on 03/25/06 at 8:24 am

So then did you show him Hanzel und Gretyl?

It was ok...
it was godlike in its awesomeness.

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/25/06 at 8:27 am

it was godlike in its awesomeness.

I heard like.. three songs.

I'm not a big fan of heavy music. Sometimes I like it, but not really in general.

Written By: Tia on 03/25/06 at 8:31 am

I heard like.. three songs.

I'm not a big fan of heavy music. Sometimes I like it, but not really in general.
they have their sensitive side too, particularly on ausgeflippt. listen to "stress pill" or "technical difficulties."

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/25/06 at 8:32 am

they have their sensitive side too, particularly on ausgeflippt. listen to "stress pill" or "technical difficulties."

I see... hehe, their initials are HuG

Written By: Tia on 03/25/06 at 8:34 am

I see... hehe, their initials are HuG
they're great in interviews. they're always like, we're still amazed anyone even takes us the least bit seriously. we dress up like little german kids and our initials are "HuG" and we sing songs about space aliens. see, to me that's the perfect band though.

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/25/06 at 8:48 am

Of course, we need spacey bands!

I mean, if it weren't for them, we'd have to stick to... to.. I can't think of any space bands.

Written By: Tia on 03/25/06 at 9:13 am

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/TheMoonandAntarctica/PostwhoreDance.gif

i've consulted with my secret resources and we all agree: this is genius! good news, we've decided to let you live.

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/25/06 at 9:15 am

i've consulted with my secret resources and we all agree: this is genius! good news, we've decided to let you live.

Dang, I need to find something clever.. I wanna live!

Written By: KKay on 03/25/06 at 9:21 am

We are working on the accompanying music as we speak

Written By: La Roche on 03/25/06 at 9:52 am

We are working on the accompanying music as we speak

Speed up.. 'Can't fight this feeling anymore'

Written By: Apricot on 03/25/06 at 12:22 pm

You like my sig, then? Goooood.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/25/06 at 1:37 pm

I play synths (well, sort of, I arrange music out of keyboard). 

Written By: Morton on 03/28/06 at 2:27 pm

I play synths (well, sort of, I arrange music out of keyboard). 

You'll have to join the queue, mate. It seems most of us here play keyboard/synth... myself included

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/28/06 at 3:04 pm

You'll have to join the queue, mate. It seems most of us here play keyboard/synth... myself included

Really?  Well, it's pretty easy to make riffs on those things  ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/28/06 at 3:10 pm

My singing voice is so flat, it doesn't even sound like I'm singing.  It just sounds like I'm talking funny.

Written By: Morton on 03/28/06 at 3:12 pm

Really?  Well, it's pretty easy to make riffs on those things  ;)

True, true.

My singing voice is so flat, it doesn't even sound like I'm singing.  It just sounds like I'm talking funny.

Be thankful. My singing voice is just plain painful

Written By: Apricot on 03/28/06 at 3:13 pm

Mine is, like... a lot softer and more feminine then my speaking voice. And despite my best effort, I over-enunciate everything when I sing.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/28/06 at 3:13 pm

Be thankful. My singing voice is just plain painful

Somebody seriously threatened to kick my @ss at school once if I didnt stop singing. ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/28/06 at 3:14 pm

With music production software you can alter it.  I often do, I hate my voice.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/28/06 at 3:14 pm

Mine is, like... a lot softer and more feminine then my speaking voice. And despite my best effort, I over-enunciate everything when I sing.

Do you practice singing?  You sang pretty good on Devil Town, however I think you need to tone down the guitar and up the vocals on recording.

Written By: Apricot on 03/28/06 at 3:17 pm

Do you practice singing?  You sang pretty good on Devil Town, however I think you need to tone down the guitar and up the vocals on recording.

Practice? Nope. I just sing when I feel like it.

See, I'd get better vocals but.. well, first, I don't like my voice. Second, I don't record separately... it doesn't work well to up the vocals.. I don't record separate cause I prefer the "homemade" feel and because I can never make it match up well.  ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 03/28/06 at 3:18 pm

Mine has similiar problems, crippled further by a nerd-like voice.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/28/06 at 3:21 pm

See, I'd get better vocals but.. well, first, I don't like my voice. Second, I don't record separately... it doesn't work well to up the vocals.. I don't record separate cause I prefer the "homemade" feel and because I can never make it match up well.  ;D

Ah, yeah I tend to hide my voice whenever possible too, it usually sounds better over the washes of synths and drums.  How do you record, over a Shure-type mic or your garden-variety $11 radio shack mic?

Written By: Apricot on 03/28/06 at 7:04 pm

Ah, yeah I tend to hide my voice whenever possible too, it usually sounds better over the washes of synths and drums.  How do you record, over a Shure-type mic or your garden-variety $11 radio shack mic?

Uh.. *checks* it's a Telex-brand mic.. it was designed to go with one of those SpeakWrite programs.. not a headset.. it's kinda phallic, if that gives you an idea.  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/28/06 at 8:05 pm

Uh.. *checks* it's a Telex-brand mic.. it was designed to go with one of those SpeakWrite programs.. not a headset.. it's kinda phallic, if that gives you an idea.  ;D

I got the idea  ;D

You ever plan to build a studio, or are you not that rich/serious/spoiled?

Written By: Morton on 03/29/06 at 7:09 am

I got the idea  ;D

You can rent out a studio over here for about

Written By: Apricot on 03/29/06 at 2:21 pm

I'm not that rich or spoiled, but I am serious.. I'd like to do studio work eventually.. many of my songs aren't possible on my current equipment.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/29/06 at 3:36 pm

I'm not that rich or spoiled, but I am serious.. I'd like to do studio work eventually.. many of my songs aren't possible on my current equipment.
Have you done much research on home recording equipment?

Written By: Apricot on 03/29/06 at 4:34 pm

Have you done much research on home recording equipment?

I can't buy equipment right now.. I haven't the financial means, and my parents.. well, it just wouldn't work with them around.

So I don't even look into it.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/29/06 at 4:37 pm

I can't buy equipment right now.. I haven't the financial means, and my parents.. well, it just wouldn't work with them around.

So I don't even look into it.
That's too bad. The good news is, by the time you are able to get some recording equipment, it should be even more affordable and user-friendly than it is today.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/29/06 at 5:57 pm

As long as you got heart, you're set. 

You should definitely have an album produced sometime, you really have talent.

Written By: Apricot on 03/29/06 at 8:02 pm

As long as you got heart, you're set. 

You should definitely have an album produced sometime, you really have talent.

I have two albums written out already, with music ready. I'm working on my third album right now, currently called In Memorial to the People Who Once Used The Blood Which Stains The Walls of My Basement... it's darker then my first two, and more purpose-driven.. each a song about a person.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/29/06 at 8:17 pm

I have two albums written out already, with music ready. I'm working on my third album right now, currently called In Memorial to the People Who Once Used The Blood Which Stains The Walls of My Basement... it's darker then my first two, and more purpose-driven.. each a song about a person.

Awesome.  How many tracks do each have?

My band (actually, it's a duo, me and my best friend, although I made almost everything on the first album) is currently working on the second album. 

Written By: Apricot on 03/29/06 at 8:27 pm

Awesome.  How many tracks do each have? 

My first, "Hallucinations in E Minor" (the title track, ironically, is written in the key of F) has 11.
The second "Serpents in London After the War" has.. uh.. 33, I think.. I posted the track list before.

Written By: Apricot on 04/06/06 at 2:57 pm

I realized my In Memorial to the People Who Once Used The Blood Which Stains The Walls of My Basement is gonna be way too hard, so I kept two of the tracks I had written for it, and I'm making a new project, called The Utter Destruction of Berlin.. a lot like my first work, but more focused.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/06/06 at 5:14 pm

I realized my In Memorial to the People Who Once Used The Blood Which Stains The Walls of My Basement is gonna be way too hard, so I kept two of the tracks I had written for it, and I'm making a new project, called The Utter Destruction of Berlin.. a lot like my first work, but more focused.

Awesome.  Do you wanna play live sometime?

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/06/06 at 5:19 pm

It's real easy to match well with the software I sent you.

If you start with the guitar and add vocals later, it's a piece o' cake.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/06/06 at 5:20 pm

I'm writing an album that parodies genres.

Each song is a different genre parodying style and lyrics... For example, my rap one will contain a lot of "yo's", and slang... Also, it will have a lot of (censored) swear words..

Every other word will be a bleep.  :P

I've even got a rap battle with another member here....

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/06/06 at 5:50 pm

Each song is a different genre parodying style and lyrics... For example, my rap one will contain a lot of "yo's", and slang... Also, it will have a lot of (censored) swear words..

Sweet ... I've made several similar mainstream rap parodies.

Written By: Apricot on 04/06/06 at 7:14 pm

It's real easy to match well with the software I sent you.

If you start with the guitar and add vocals later, it's a piece o' cake.

Hmm.. I did that with WavePad. I just have trouble, cause I tend to make each song my own, so I don't match up... does it have some speeding and slowing thing?

Written By: Apricot on 04/06/06 at 7:17 pm

Kinda generic, don't you think? I mean, thing of an artist like.. say, Ween (for lack of a better example).. they genre-hop a lot.. but rather then just take the cliches of a genre and exploit them, they take the subtleties of a genre and make it great.. they did a whole album of country, and rather then just twangy banjos and stupid accents, they actually made a damn good album of an otherwise usually-intolerable genre.. I was impressed.

I mean, everyone's gonna expect a million bleeps and "yo's" and pimpin' in a rap parody.. how many people would expect a legitimate song done in that style? More musically-inclined people will appreciate.

Unless you really want that novelty effect..

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/06/06 at 7:37 pm

Kinda generic, don't you think? I mean, thing of an artist like.. say, Ween (for lack of a better example).. they genre-hop a lot.. but rather then just take the cliches of a genre and exploit them, they take the subtleties of a genre and make it great.. they did a whole album of country, and rather then just twangy banjos and stupid accents, they actually made a damn good album of an otherwise usually-intolerable genre.. I was impressed.

I mean, everyone's gonna expect a million bleeps and "yo's" and pimpin' in a rap parody.. how many people would expect a legitimate song done in that style? More musically-inclined people will appreciate.

The best novelty rap songs I've heard are Beastie-Boy esque, old school sounding. Parodies are funny, but they should be good too.

Written By: La Roche on 04/06/06 at 9:02 pm

You still got that, yo?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/06/06 at 9:35 pm

You still got that, yo?

I'm a (very bad) MC.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/06/06 at 9:52 pm

If I can ever learn to play guitar I'd love to play/sing folk music.  I need to improve my singing though too.. a LOT.  I mean a LOT. ;D

Written By: La Roche on 04/07/06 at 8:38 am

I'm a (very bad) MC.

I'm kickass, yo
I'm explicitly lyrical,
Dom's just hysterical.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/07/06 at 4:32 pm

My attempt at new wave:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iykYfeyoXNI

Written By: Morton on 05/21/06 at 3:41 pm

I believe this is thread in question  :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/21/06 at 3:52 pm

This is a song I made in '05:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p8ERgsaUTsU

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/21/06 at 4:41 pm

You still got that, yo?

Yes, but your files skip.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/21/06 at 4:42 pm

But it's not their point, I think they just play whatever they feel like.

I just want an album that is yes, novelty, and in every genre...

I'll worry about being good in the next album :P

Written By: Apricot on 05/21/06 at 6:16 pm

But it's not their point, I think they just play whatever they feel like.

I dunno... they're done every concievable genre. Part of it HAD to be trying.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/05/06 at 4:06 pm

BUMP

Written By: Tia on 06/05/06 at 4:24 pm

DUDE

i just customized my mexistrat with a seymour duncan compact minihumbucker in the neck position and a standard seymour duncan humbucker in the bridge position and it's gone from a twangy wussbanjo to a shrieking stealth deathmerchant. and i did it myself without burning off any of my fingers!

Written By: Tia on 06/05/06 at 4:27 pm

i sorta wish i'd put a PAF in the bridge position though. just because that's a real gibson pickup and it would look super strange on a strat.

and i haven't even put the land of the lost sleestak and witch mountain flying saucers all over it yet. OR the active solar panels.

Written By: Apricot on 06/05/06 at 5:47 pm

WHOA! Just had a crazy dream which provided me a surge of inspiration.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/05/06 at 5:48 pm

WHOA! Just had a crazy dream which provided me a surge of inspiration.

For your music?

Written By: Apricot on 06/05/06 at 5:50 pm

For your music?

Of course.

Written By: KKay on 06/05/06 at 7:19 pm

i sorta wish i'd put a PAF in the bridge position though. just because that's a real gibson pickup and it would look super strange on a strat.

and i haven't even put the land of the lost sleestak and witch mountain flying saucers all over it yet. OR the active solar panels.

If you are willing to get that Sleestak as mother of pearl inlay in the neck of that thing, i'll.....i'll....it will be so graet, i don't know what to do!

Written By: La Roche on 06/06/06 at 3:00 am

DUDE

i just customized my mexistrat with a seymour duncan compact minihumbucker in the neck position and a standard seymour duncan humbucker in the bridge position and it's gone from a twangy wussbanjo to a shrieking stealth deathmerchant. and i did it myself without burning off any of my fingers!

Burn them anyway, for the cause.

Written By: Apricot on 12/30/06 at 7:13 pm

Out of curiosity, how does one obtain the darkest, murkiest sound when playing the guitar? Anything helps.. technique, amp settings, brand of guitars.. I'm trying to start something in the vein of doom metal or sludge metal, and I'd like something that sounds good on the low notes.. I tune down 1 and a half (3 chromatic) steps usually, and I'm looking for something with a fair amount of buzz (but clear enough that individual notes can be distinguished).

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/30/06 at 7:28 pm

Out of curiosity, how does one obtain the darkest, murkiest sound when playing the guitar? Anything helps.. technique, amp settings, brand of guitars.. I'm trying to start something in the vein of doom metal or sludge metal, and I'd like something that sounds good on the low notes.. I tune down 1 and a half (3 chromatic) steps usually, and I'm looking for something with a fair amount of buzz (but clear enough that individual notes can be distinguished).

Try slapping it, like a bass. :P

Written By: La Roche on 12/31/06 at 12:25 am

Yeah down-tune big time and just use a death-pedal. There are tons on the market.

Oh and buy a Dean Guitar. http://www.deanguitars.com/home.php They're the best for that deep-shred sound.

Written By: Apricot on 12/31/06 at 12:37 am

Yeah down-tune big time and just use a death-pedal. There are tons on the market.

Oh and buy a Dean Guitar. http://www.deanguitars.com/home.php They're the best for that deep-shred sound.

Damn, some of those just LOOK evil. I want the Dimebag Razorback.

Death Pedal?

Written By: La Roche on 12/31/06 at 12:39 am

Damn, some of those just LOOK evil. I want the Dimebag Razorback.

Death Pedal?

Yeah dude, the Razor is the shizzle!

Get the confederate one. When I was looking at guitars that's what I settled on.

Death Pedal, ya know, like an effects pedal.

Written By: Tia on 12/31/06 at 11:14 am

also get custom bottom-heavy top-light strings. you get a nice thick 52-gauge low e string so you can play in c natural tuning without sounding like you're hitting a rubber band.

Written By: Apricot on 12/31/06 at 11:20 am

Yeah dude, the Razor is the shizzle!

Get the confederate one. When I was looking at guitars that's what I settled on.

Death Pedal, ya know, like an effects pedal.

Is it really called "Death Pedal", or is it a pedal or series of pedals with another name?

Written By: Apricot on 06/08/07 at 9:10 pm

Well, bit of an update..

Since this time, I started a group, dubbed "Grave of Angels" by the guitarist

We've lost 2 members, fired 1... so now it's me, and the guitarist, Dave. We use my new keyboard (Roland Fantom X6) drum machine and keyboards, and Dave plays guitar. We both do vocals.

Our song is Progressive Death Metal.. frankly, I wanted to do straight-up brutal Grindcore, but Dave has a lot of Prog. influences and whatnot. So we compromised.

We hope to get more members soon, but it's possible we won't be able to. Sucks.

Written By: diofan on 08/16/08 at 11:21 pm

I play drums.

Currently in a band called "the Toolsheds".

Here's a cover we did of Queen's "Tie Your Mother Down"

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/26/08 at 11:07 pm

I've just started playing in the local college's jazz ensemble... with five other pianists... >_>

My girlfriend plays bass in it, with four other bassists.

This jazz group is HUGE, and we're trying to get some people to drop out. :P

Check for new replies or respond here...