inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Book Club

Written By: deadrockstar on 02/09/06 at 10:41 pm

This is a thread to talk about books in general, and to recommend books.

The most recent book I read was Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck. I definitely recommend it.

Subject: Re: Book Club

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/09/06 at 10:47 pm

oh.. wow... books

read... read...

"The Salmon of Doubt" by Douglas Adams.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/10/06 at 2:28 am

I read the first 2-3 chapters of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince but got sidetracked and never finished. I need to take it with me to work and read it on my breaks.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 02/10/06 at 9:09 am

Books I Recommend (So Far):

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky

The Screwtape Letters- C.S. Lewis

The Colossus Of New York- Colson Whitheead

Out of all of those, I'd say The Perks Of Being A Wallflower is my favorite. I've read through it 4 times now, and it never gets old.

Written By: YWN on 02/10/06 at 9:15 am

Animal Farm - George Orwell

1984 - George Orwell

America (the book) - The Daily Show

Written By: Morton on 02/10/06 at 9:17 am

I had to study The Catcher In The Rye as part of our GCSE English course in Year 10/11, and I have to say it's one of the best books they've given us to study.

The one we're studying at the moment, The Importance Of Being Earnest is okay too

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/10/06 at 10:28 am

A week ago I started reading Barry Lyndon by WM Thackery, but it proved to be difficult to crasp the written word, so I have now moved on to Googlewhack! by Dave Gorman.

Written By: karen on 02/10/06 at 10:35 am

I've just finished reading Going Postal by Terry Pratchett. a good read if you like his stuff.

Also reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban to my daughter.  At a page or so a night it is going so slowly I keep forgetting how it started!

Written By: Tia on 02/10/06 at 10:37 am

Oo! Oo! I just read "the men who stare at goats" by the amazingly funny and disturbing jon ronson.

I'ma read "them: adventures with extremists" next.

Written By: karen on 02/10/06 at 10:37 am

Animal Farm - George Orwell

1984 - George Orwell

I've read both of these.  What do you think of them?

Written By: YWN on 02/10/06 at 11:55 am

I've read both of these.  What do you think of them?

I liked both of them, although I preferred 1984.  I can't remember much about Animal Farm, besides that it was based on communism.  SPOILER ALERTThere was propaganda and intimidation being used commonly on the farm, and the pigs were controlling them all, despite that they said everyone would be equal.

1984 was great, very suspenseful, especially SPOILER ALERTthe twist when Winston gets caught and tortured by the man he thought was his comrade.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/10/06 at 8:43 pm

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

This is a heart-wrenching book about a 14 year old girl that was raped and murdered...and the story is narrated by her while up in Heaven. It literally made me cry while reading it...but it is such a unique book.

Check for new replies or respond here...