inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who here still buys CDs? And if so how often?

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/13/06 at 4:27 am

Another inane waste of message board space. Who here buys those ancient silver discs that play music? I admit I do, as legally downloadable music from the itunes music store is in mp4 format, so the only legal way I can get music is buying it. Many of the CDs I get are so obscure they are not available on itunes (or downloadble using p2p sharing software)...Anyway...just a poll on how often you buy CDs (I mean albums not singles - like anyway buys them anyway).

Subject: Re: Who here still buys CDs? And if so how often?

Written By: Apricot on 02/13/06 at 5:01 am

I only really buy CDs when the band is to obscure to pirate the whole thing, or I really, really, really, really, really love it. I've only ever bought 10 CDs, and I have upwards of 5 GB of downloads.

Written By: karen on 02/13/06 at 6:08 am

I still buy CDs, just not very often.  Never have bought a lot of music anyway.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/13/06 at 8:02 am

no, I don't buy cds anymore...I download music.  I do own TONS of cds though....I have been selling them on Ebay though lately.

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/06 at 8:30 am

I still buy CD's every now and then.  I love owning the actual CD, rather than the mp3, but sinec all the music I listen to is unavailable on CD or not available in Canada

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/06 at 8:32 am

Once in a few months

Written By: La Roche on 02/13/06 at 8:48 am

I bought 14 over the weekend.
Bought two on Wednesday.
Two last weekend.

Written By: Morton on 02/13/06 at 8:51 am

If an artist releases a single and I REALLY REALLY like it, i'll buy the album, or if they release a couple of good singles, i'll buy the album. That way I feel as though i'm getting my money's worth. I never buy singles, but I own about 21 albums, the most recent being the Arctic Monkeys album (A couple of weeks ago)

Written By: woops on 02/13/06 at 12:49 pm

Once (sometimes twice) in a few months

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/13/06 at 12:53 pm

It has to be for a special band or group I can't find online.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/13/06 at 4:37 pm

Yeah, for a few reasons:

-Even though I have the best songs saved to my computer, I like having the entire albums (there's some songs I don't really like enough to have in rotation, but enough to play a teeny bit once in a while, ya know?).
-Much like home theatre versus a movie theatre, there's something cool about looking for/buying music in a store (again, this could be my childhood attachment to that)
-As "old school" as I sometimes still am, I like using 'em for mixtapes
-Some are sentimental to me, especially ones I've had a long time
-Alot of what I like is older ('70s/'80s/earlier '90s), so it's not as easy to find elsewhere

Anyway, I do tend to go to Goodwill-type thrift stores/used CD shops most of the time. On average, I probably get 5 or 6 per time (more if it's tapes), though it totally depends.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/13/06 at 5:27 pm

I buy one maybe every few months, or a few at one time then I don't buy them for a while. I usually only buy them when they're on sale for about $10.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 02/13/06 at 5:34 pm

I still buy CDs, but funding limits me to about once a fortnight

Written By: gord on 02/13/06 at 5:42 pm

ok, what's a fortnight ;)

I buy cds a least once a week, either brand new or from pawn shops, I almost never have a certain cd in mind when I go into a store, just buy whatever grabs my attention at the time and what's on sale :)

Written By: Howard on 02/13/06 at 5:52 pm

I'll buy CDs once in a while.About a month ago,I bought The Best Of GQ.

Written By: DJ Midas on 02/14/06 at 7:54 pm

Probably once a month on average.  And usually not full albums by one artists.  I buy those CD-Maxi Singles and compilations (as long as they're not a continuous mix; that's MY job).  Most recently the CD Single of DM's "Precious" and this 2-disc "Digital Empire" comp of electronica from the mid- to late 90's.

I still buy a lot of vinyl too.  :D

Written By: YWN on 02/14/06 at 9:36 pm

The most I ever bought in one period was five CDs in a day.  Usually I keep it to around one or two CDs a month.

I guess I have around thirty CDs.

Written By: La Roche on 02/14/06 at 9:51 pm

I just bought 3 more CD's from Best Buy.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 02/14/06 at 10:36 pm

Y-you mean there's a way to get music without BUYING Cd's?!

Why, that sounds illegal! I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing...!!!!1 :-O >:-{

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/06 at 10:55 pm

Today, I bought "Richard Marx's Greatest Hits" ;D

Written By: rich1981 on 02/14/06 at 11:52 pm

I buy CD's at least once a week but at less than retail, through ebay or Goodwill or other local thrift stores.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/15/06 at 12:22 am

I rarely buy CD's.  I think the last one I bought was a Christmas one back in November or so.  I wasn't much of a CD buyer even before downloading music was an option.  When I did really want a CD, I would buy it, go home and tape the song or two I wanted, then resell the CD to a used record store. :)

Written By: whistledog on 02/15/06 at 12:28 am

I rarely buy CD's.  I think the last one I bought was a Christmas one back in November or so.  I wasn't much of a CD buyer even before downloading music was an option.  When I did really want a CD, I would buy it, go home and tape the song or two I wanted, then resell the CD to a used record store. :)

An easier option would be instead of reselling the CD to a used record store, take a knife and make a scratch in the CD, then return it to the CD store for another copy.  Used record stores will pay more for unopened CD's ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/15/06 at 1:36 am

We had CD libraries for that... ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/15/06 at 2:23 am

I very rarely buy CDs anymore, seeing as there are fewer and fewer artists who I would drop $20 on for a CD.  I must admit, I get most of my music online.  I'm not buying the whole CD if I only like 1 or 2 songs on it......that in my mind is a waste of my money.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/15/06 at 2:31 am

I still buy CD's and will buy it for just the one song because that one song is everything  8)
my kid has a 4gig ipod and is getting a good collection of her music, my friend whom we fondly nickname the 5th Beatle has the same and has assempled wonderful compilations and I will eventually get one and pay .99 cents a song and just get the ones I want. I was on my way home from gas station and pulled into BestBuy parking lot. I was gonna go in and see how much for Rick Springfield Working Class Dog so I could listen to Jesse's Girl on the way home, but changed my mind and figured I'll get it some other time.

Written By: Howard on 02/15/06 at 4:25 pm

Y-you mean there's a way to get music without BUYING Cd's?!

Why, that sounds illegal! I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing...!!!!1 :-O >:-{

That's called burning music.

Written By: rich1981 on 02/15/06 at 6:46 pm

I tend to burn most often when looking for singles as opposed to whole albums.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/18/06 at 6:08 am

All very interesting replies. Personally, I buy on average once a fortnight. Somehow, I feel less guilty if I download a Britney Spears mp3 than a grass roots band (not that I do download Britney  :D). But speaking of Cds, when do you think CDs will be become permanently obsolete?

I think the compact disc model (shape) will continue in other formats, but standard 650-700MB, 44kbps music CDs might make up the bulk of retail sales til about 2009-2010, and will rapidly decline around 2012. DVDs will probably last shorter than VHS (still around but main format only from 1980-2000), so if they began in 2000 they should begin to die out totally in 2015 or so, when Blu-Ray and ultra-high format discs replace them. Ultra-DVDs, however, may continue yet (holding many GB of space). But for now, compatibility and cost issues will be the CDs saving grace.

Check for new replies or respond here...