inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What kind of music do your parents listen to?

Written By: ADH13 on 02/13/06 at 11:49 pm

And can you stand listening to it??

My dad, who has passed away was almost 100% doo-wop.  He also liked "Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon and "I Want To Know What Love Is" by Foreigner.  It was really strange because he liked those two when they first came out... not something you would have expected from parents!!

My mom likes Dire Straits, Jackson Browne and some Bruce Springsteen (mostly the Born In The USA Album). :)

Subject: Re: What kind of music do your parents listen to?

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/06 at 11:54 pm

I recently got my mom into Techno Music ;D  She also still likes the 60's music she grew up with like Cliff Richard, Bobby Curtola, Johnny Tilotson and others

My dad is old fashioned.  He listens to mostly instrumental piano music like Hagood Hardy, Frank Mills and oldies like Gershwin.  He also sometimes listens to those golden oldies of the 60's.  Growing up, he went to school with Bobby Curtola, so naturally, he was and is a fan of his music still

Written By: La Roche on 02/14/06 at 12:03 am

The old guy listens to a lot of Classical music. He also has all manner of brass band records.

My Mom however loves Bowie, Springsteen, Dylan, Cash etc.

They both sometimes pick up on a song being played a lot on the radio and profess to like it.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/14/06 at 12:20 am

;D My mom despises Arthur's Theme by Christopher Cross... I can remember as a kid teasing her about it... I used to say it was her favorite song and she'd make a funny face and do a funny imitation of it.

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/06 at 12:26 am

My mom hates a few songs, mainly "Jack and Diane" by John Mellencamp and "Billy, Don't Be A Hero" by Do Donaldson and the Heywoods.  Whenever either song comes on the radio, she turns the station real fast ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/14/06 at 12:58 am

My dad, who has passed away was almost 100% doo-wop.  He also liked "Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon and "I Want To Know What Love Is" by Foreigner.  It was really strange because he liked those two when they first came out... not something you would have expected from parents!!

That's cool. Ya know, I actually can see an older person liking those songs. Sure, they were very "'80s keyboard pop-ish", but were on the mellower, ballad side. I think they'd appeal to people who liked '70s stuff in that vein (i.e. America, Paul Davis).

BTW, I got into the music I am largely from my parents, as well as just always being exposed to the radio, etc. My dad -- born in '38 -- is the more "old fashioned" one, everything from jazz to classical to pop and rock. Mostly the '60s and '70s, but he likes a number of '80s songs too (mainly on the softer, or the classic rock side).

Whereas my mom was always more the "up to date" one, and at the age of 51 still likes some of the popular stuff on the radio (often more than me, LOL). Many pop and rock songs from the 60's and up.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/14/06 at 3:10 am

My parents generally listen to 1960s-1980s range, maybe a few early '90s. 

I really like "I Want To Know What Love Is", as cheesy as it is.  Don't Foreigner seem like an influence to the hair bands?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/14/06 at 3:29 am

My parents listen to a wide range of music. My mom seems to like the more syrupy love ballads by Faith Hill, Celine Dion, etc. but there's some areas where we both totally agree on.

My Dad likes more acoustic stuff, but he also liked listening to Doo Wop, Beach Boys, 60's and 70's Rock, and now it seems he's softened and listens to Dave Matthews Band (Ughh -  :-X )

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/14/06 at 4:24 am

My mother passed away, but before she did, her album collection included Barbara Streisand, Perry Como, Nat King Cole. She also enjoyed orchestra like Henry Mancini. I almost forgot her favorite. She loved old hymms.

Written By: Apricot on 02/14/06 at 5:00 am

My dad has this weird thing for Smooth R&B. He listens to a ton of artists like Silk, R. Kelley and so on.

My mom used to be an anarchist punk in high school, but she's now into... well, pretty much mainstream pop and a bit of adult alternative. If it comes on the radio, and it isn't rap, she generally likes it.

Don't know where my tastes came from, though... doesn't seem like either of those.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/14/06 at 6:20 am

My mom used to be an anarchist punk in high school

wow....did she have a shaved head?  I never imagined that your mom would have been like that...she seems to have changed a lot since then, huh?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/14/06 at 6:21 am

well...my mom likes some country music and some contemporary music.....and my dad loves oldies the best.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/06 at 6:24 am

Doo-Wop.Yes they're THAT old! ;D

Written By: gemini on 02/14/06 at 6:43 am

Mom likes country music, mostly stuff from the 60s and 70s. Dad likes mostly big band stuff and Frank Sinatra.

Written By: Paul on 02/14/06 at 6:54 am

My folks usually listen to the same old rubbish I listen to...to a degree!

However, my mother has recently taken a shine to Daniel O'Donnell, which in my book, is somewhat unforgivable...

Written By: jaytee on 02/14/06 at 8:38 am

However, my mother has recently taken a shine to Daniel O'Donnell, which in my book, is somewhat unforgivable...

He sings a good hymn! 

My mum is 83 and her favourites are Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, Dean Martin, Marty Robins, Jim Reeves, Hank Williams, Mamas and the Papas, Fleetwood Mac (her favourite is Albatross), old Bee Gees and some country.  She's still got her "Black And White Minstrel" LPs.  (I must confess I really like them too)  :-[  I bought her the Best of Don McLean for Mother's Day last year which she loves.  She also listens to some opera and classical.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/14/06 at 10:47 am

My parents listen to a quite a bit of the same stuff I do (folk-rock, soft-rock, easy listening)...

But my dad likes bluegrass music (which I can't stand!)

Written By: Howard on 02/14/06 at 5:30 pm

My Father also enjoys music from the 40's,50's,& 60's compared to me I like Disco & Funk. ;D

Written By: Apricot on 02/14/06 at 6:36 pm

wow....did she have a shaved head?  I never imagined that your mom would have been like that...she seems to have changed a lot since then, huh?

She had a mohawk.. she actually dated a guy who's now a fairly successful EMO musician... at some point, I'll find a picture of her now...

Written By: Mephistopheles on 02/14/06 at 7:02 pm

My mother listens to music mostly from the 50's, 60's and 70's. She's a Beach Boys and Three Dog Nights fan.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 02/14/06 at 7:09 pm

She had a mohawk..

That's so awesome..! :o

Written By: loki 13 on 02/14/06 at 7:22 pm

My father listened to Tommy Dorsey and Benny Goodman both of
which I listen to.I love big band and swing.
My mother was an Elvis fan she had quite a few original 45s
that my brother and I used as frisbees.At that time they were made
of glass,you can imagine the mess.

Written By: Apricot on 02/14/06 at 7:30 pm

That's so awesome..! :o

This is the dude she dated:

http://cdbaby.com/covers/t/e/tedm.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/14/06 at 9:39 pm

She had a mohawk.. she actually dated a guy who's now a fairly successful EMO musician... at some point, I'll find a picture of her now...

oh wow...that is definitely something! :o

Written By: Paul on 02/15/06 at 7:05 am

He sings a good hymn!

I'm sure he does...

...but when he started giving the 'O'Donnell' treatment to some rock 'n' roll classics, I left her to it!

She's still got her "Black And White Minstrel" LPs.  (I must confess I really like them too)   :-[ 

Yes, I still have a couple knocking around...

Un-PC they may well be, but they were classics of their age!

Written By: karen on 02/15/06 at 7:42 am

My mum and dad like 50s music mainly rock and roll.  Cliff Richard's Livin' Doll is 'their' song.

My dad also likes Queen and Staus Quo.

No idea what they think of current music.  It's a not something we discuss when I see them.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/15/06 at 10:53 am

My mother listens to music mostly from the 50's, 60's and 70's. She's a Beach Boys and Three Dog Nights fan.

Gotta love Three Dog Night!  8)

Written By: Howard on 02/15/06 at 4:13 pm

My Father enjoys Country Bluegrass and Classic Rock And Roll.He's not too fond of my music.

Written By: Bobby on 06/06/06 at 8:58 pm

And can you stand listening to it??

My mom likes Dire Straits, Jackson Browne and some Bruce Springsteen (mostly the Born In The USA Album). :)

Doo wop is excellent!

My dad was into . . .

Glam rock (Slade, T-Rex, Sweet, Gary Glitter, David Bowie)
Rock in general (Thin Lizzy, Aerosmith, Judas Priest, KISS, ELO, Rolling Stones)
Novelty records (anything by Wombles, 'Funky Moped' - Jasper Carrott etc)
New Wave (Human League, OMD, Thompson Twins)
New Romantics (ABC, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet)

My mum was into . . .

Bay City Rollers
David Cassidy
Diana Ross
Motown in general

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/06/06 at 9:21 pm

My mom listens to whatever my dad puts on the radio.  To my knowledge, she has no real opinion about music one way or the other.

Now my dad is a classic rock fan, which is where I get my love of music from.

Written By: CeeKay on 06/06/06 at 10:02 pm

My dad likes country, gospel and 50s rock-n-roll.

My mom likes lots of things...none of which are coming to mind right now (Kay, help!)

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/06/06 at 10:34 pm

Mom-Funk, R&B, hip hop, motown, soul, etc.

My dad-good, everything I like, almost... Jazz, rock, a little of country (ew)

Written By: Howard on 06/07/06 at 5:24 pm

Doo Wop Oldies

Written By: Morton on 06/09/06 at 7:34 am

A mixture of all sorts, really. She has albums by Pink, Stereophonics, Barbara Streisand, Savage Garden, LeAnn Rimes, Westlife, and, most surprisingly, Linkin Park  :o

Written By: chaka on 06/09/06 at 8:05 am

My dad's into classical music and my mum loves Oldies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/08 at 1:58 am

My parents like most forms of music which has stemmed on to me.

BTW, my father liked Bohemian Rhapsody up to the point when the opera bit started.

Written By: Howard on 05/29/08 at 6:16 am

Doo Wop Rock And Roll.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/08 at 6:59 am

Doo Wop Rock And Roll.
I can imagine my father not liking Rock And Roll during the fifties.

Written By: Gis on 05/30/08 at 7:54 am

My Dad listens to Classical Music these days and that's all. My Mum likes a fairly wide spectrum but tends to just listen to BBC Radio 2. She loves Neil Diamond and Johnny Cash but also U2, Bryan Adams and even some Nirvana. When we used to share a car to work we used to listen to 50's and 60's stuff and sing along.

Written By: wildcard on 05/30/08 at 3:19 pm

same hundreds of bands I like.  My mom seemed to like story telling things more like  doe's anybody care what time it is? (because I sure don't)  Now she only listens to talk radio. My dad still picks up his electric guitar sometimes and strums Things like Aqualung.  My dad also will listen to other stuff like Firehouse Five which I like too.  He had a cassette tape recorded from his dad's record.  I've recorded it on to my computer. 

Written By: Howard on 05/30/08 at 3:29 pm

I can imagine my father not liking Rock And Roll during the fifties.

What does he listen to now?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/30/08 at 6:57 pm

Country and western, easy listening, oldies (50s-60s pop music).

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/30/08 at 11:27 pm

My dad was really into country and western from the 50's and 60's, but he liked listening to contemporary hits radio just as much.

My mother was (and still is) really into classical music. When it comes to anything else, she might like a song here and there, but that's about it.

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/30/08 at 11:59 pm

my Mom.Perry Coma stuff! ;D
She will be 93 next month!

Written By: Howard on 05/31/08 at 6:34 am

country,rock and roll,late 40's,50's doo wop and a small amount of 80's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/08 at 5:39 pm

What does he listen to now?
Up to the time of his death (in the 1980's) he still like classical and brass band music.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/08 at 6:37 am

My Parents enjoy Doo-Wop,they even attend doo-wop concerts almost all the time.

Check for new replies or respond here...