inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Medical Question/Help Thread

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/15/06 at 9:28 pm

I don't ever remember having one of these threads....somewhere where we can come to seek other's opinions, etc. about medical problems, etc.  I have a question for you all....

do any of you (or anyone close to you) suffer from any of the following:

Lupus
Fibromyalgia
HypoThyroidism

If so...what are your symptoms, what do you go through on a daily basis, what treatments do you do, and how was it diagnosed?  If anyone wants to answer this in a PM, if they feel more comfortable...than that is fine. The reason I am asking is that I have been having some pretty severe symptoms...and after researching all of my symptoms, etc...these are the 3 that are closest to represent what I am going through. I appreciate any input.

Subject: Re: Medical Question/Help Thread

Written By: karen on 02/16/06 at 3:55 am

My mum has Lupus and my sister in law has Fibromyalgia.

I know my mum had lots of blood tests to find out what was wrong with her.  It was complicated by the fact that she also contracted Reynauds disease at about the same time.

Lupus is reckoned to have a specific darkening of the face but I can't say I noticed it on my mum

Written By: danootaandme on 02/16/06 at 5:27 am

I am on hypothyroid watch.  My thyroids are enlarged, but I don't exhibit any major symptons.  My sister has a few medical issues,
but they are related to her weight.

Written By: jaytee on 02/16/06 at 8:24 am

A good friend of mine has Fibromyalgia.  She suffers symptoms similar to chronic fatigue syndrome and has aching in her joints.  She said that she found the "Eat For Your Blood Type Diet" beneficial.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 02/19/06 at 1:19 am

My friend at work suffers FM and has been on a diet for about 12 months where she isnt eating dairy, grains, and a lot of other stuff. She says it is helping her aches and exhaustion.

My friend in the US with FM has tried Noni Juice - which I recommended to her - and she says it has made great changes. http://www.tahitiannoni.com/united_states/english/retail/index.html?r=690

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/19/06 at 11:31 am

My friend in the US with FM has tried Noni Juice - which I recommended to her - and she says it has made great changes. http://www.tahitiannoni.com/united_states/english/retail/index.html?r=690

oh i've heard of that stuff...I will have to try it, thanks! :)

Written By: Apricot on 02/19/06 at 11:47 am

Wait.. I'm only going on what my Psych teacher said from a few books he read, but... isn't Fibromyalgia just what they diagnose you with when they can't figure out what you have?

Written By: La Roche on 02/19/06 at 1:51 pm

Wait.. I'm only going on what my Psych teacher said from a few books he read, but... isn't Fibromyalgia just what they diagnose you with when they can't figure out what you have?

Not as far as I am aware.

It's essentially a Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
You're right in a sense. The causes are still pretty much unknown. There are a lot of things that people believe may be causes. Diet, Sleep, Mental State, Environment and a plethora of other possible causes.

Think like, real nasty flu virus, you know how your muscles ache, your devoid of energy, head hurts etc. I believe that sums it up. Not something you really want.

Written By: Apricot on 02/19/06 at 5:33 pm

You're right in a sense. The causes are still pretty much unknown. There are a lot of things that people believe may be causes. Diet, Sleep, Mental State, Environment and a plethora of other possible causes.

Think like, real nasty flu virus, you know how your muscles ache, your devoid of energy, head hurts etc. I believe that sums it up. Not something you really want.

Yeah, that's what he said. It was this weird fatigue... some people consider it a type of somataform disorder, kinda like Hypocondriasis except the symptoms actually manifest.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/19/06 at 8:26 pm

Not as far as I am aware.

yep, that about sums it up...sometimes I can't even move my fingers or even make a fist..they hurt so bad. :(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/20/06 at 2:03 am

Quirk,

My mother has hypothyroid and is on medication to deal with it.  She does fine. 

Lupus can be a mild autoimmune disease and is easily treatable as well.

Whether you have the disorder or not, it's a good idea to check with your doctor.  Hope you have good insurance coverage though  :-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/20/06 at 8:03 am

Quirk,

My mother has hypothyroid and is on medication to deal with it.  She does fine. 

Lupus can be a mild autoimmune disease and is easily treatable as well.

Whether you have the disorder or not, it's a good idea to check with your doctor.  Hope you have good insurance coverage though  :-\\

unfortunately, I don't have any health insurance at this time, that is why this is all so difficult. I can't afford to buy it myself, we don't qualify for any government help, and I virtually cannot afford to even go to the doctors....believe me, I would have already gone by now...but it's just so hard when you just don't have the means to do so. :(

Written By: Gis on 02/20/06 at 8:05 am

This makes me realise how lucky we are to have a National Health System. I find it appalling that you are sick and you can't get treatment.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/20/06 at 8:07 am

This makes me realise how lucky we are to have a National Health System. I find it appalling that you are sick and you can't get treatment.

yes...you are very fortunate. This is what makes me steaming mad about our government....they don't give a lick about their citizens...too worried about everybody else's government. ::)

Written By: La Roche on 02/20/06 at 1:50 pm

Of course, we don't run the risk of Super-Bugs here. Our hospitals can afford to hire adequate staff.

Written By: karen on 02/21/06 at 3:29 am

Of course, we don't run the risk of Super-Bugs here. Our hospitals can afford to hire adequate staff.

Don't kid yourself.  Google on MRSA +USA and find loads of reports on it increasing over the past few years

e.g.

"Researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention examined MRSA data from more than 1,200 intensive care units (ICUs) from 1992 to 2003. They found that in 1992, 36 percent of S. aureus isolates were drug-resistant; but in 2003, 64 percent of isolates were MRSA, an increase of about 3 percentage points per year"

Written By: La Roche on 02/23/06 at 7:21 pm

Don't kid yourself.

I have to kid myself, it's the only way I make it through the day.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/23/06 at 7:59 pm

I know someone with a thyroid problem...

it makes her fatter... I guess, and she stinks a lot.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/23/06 at 8:05 pm

er.. sorry for not taking this seriously!

sorry, I can't help you.

Written By: La Roche on 02/23/06 at 10:28 pm

The dentist.. checked my Thyroid. Is that normal do you think or did he just have the hots for me?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/23/06 at 10:56 pm

I don't ever remember having one of these threads....somewhere where we can come to seek other's opinions, etc. about medical problems, etc.  I have a question for you all....

do any of you (or anyone close to you) suffer from any of the following:

Lupus
Fibromyalgia
HypoThyroidism

If so...what are your symptoms, what do you go through on a daily basis, what treatments do you do, and how was it diagnosed?  If anyone wants to answer this in a PM, if they feel more comfortable...than that is fine. The reason I am asking is that I have been having some pretty severe symptoms...and after researching all of my symptoms, etc...these are the 3 that are closest to represent what I am going through. I appreciate any input.

Very interesting, Erin. I was born without a functioning thyroid. It's just sitting there doing nothing. I've taken a full dose my entire life of a synthetic sort of supplement. The brands have changed, but the dosages have gotten higher or readjusted as I've gotten older.

To me, I never felt (or maybe never knew the difference) what having a high or low thyroid felt like. I have always taken my medicine once a day and I suppose I've made up for what's not there. But, there was a time I didn't see a thyroid doctor for about 3 years and I became rather anemic, very thin, and then I began passing out. I don't know if I actually was hyperthyroid because my dose was too high at the time, but I certaintly needed some adjusting. My thyroid doctor sees me on a yearly basis and he checks my throat area (where the thyroid is located) for any growths. I'm actually suppose to see him in April.

As for Lupus - I just found out my Aunt has been diagnosed with it. It's a mysterious disease. I don't know a lot about it, but I'm taking two very extensive medical courses right now, so I should be learning about it in no time. One of my best friend's mothers had it. I think I remember her telling me it made her mother weak from time to time. Unfortunately, her mother passed away about a year ago from other complications.

Fibromyalgia is also a mysterious disease. Something a lot of doctors can't quite pin point on the exact cause of it. It makes you very weak, I think it even makes you bruise or make the bones ache quite a bit. -algia means pain (as I've learned in my terminology book), so I suppose it causes constant pain.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/24/06 at 2:46 pm

unfortunately, I don't have any health insurance at this time, that is why this is all so difficult. I can't afford to buy it myself, we don't qualify for any government help, and I virtually cannot afford to even go to the doctors....believe me, I would have already gone by now...but it's just so hard when you just don't have the means to do so. :(

Is there anyway you can get on an insurance plan that your husband has? Ususally spouses are able to get on the insurance plan their spouse has, if his job offers such a benefit (which most would). I get about $70 deducted from my paycheck every month for health insurance. Right now I have double insurance because I'm still on my Dad's plan until I'm 25, so I guess I'm rather fortunate, but I have had a time when I didn't have health insurance and it's by far - very risky. Check out einsurance.com. I was looking there for my boyfriend who also doesn't have benefits because he's self employed, so I was looking for him and they had some reasonable plans. Sometimes anythng will do, even if it's cheapo - it's better to pay into something rather than nothing.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/24/06 at 9:49 pm

Very interesting, Erin. I was born without a functioning thyroid. It's just sitting there doing nothing. I've taken a full dose my entire life of a synthetic sort of supplement. The brands have changed, but the dosages have gotten higher or readjusted as I've gotten older.

To me, I never felt (or maybe never knew the difference) what having a high or low thyroid felt like. I have always taken my medicine once a day and I suppose I've made up for what's not there. But, there was a time I didn't see a thyroid doctor for about 3 years and I became rather anemic, very thin, and then I began passing out. I don't know if I actually was hyperthyroid because my dose was too high at the time, but I certaintly needed some adjusting. My thyroid doctor sees me on a yearly basis and he checks my throat area (where the thyroid is located) for any growths. I'm actually suppose to see him in April.

As for Lupus - I just found out my Aunt has been diagnosed with it. It's a mysterious disease. I don't know a lot about it, but I'm taking two very extensive medical courses right now, so I should be learning about it in no time. One of my best friend's mothers had it. I think I remember her telling me it made her mother weak from time to time. Unfortunately, her mother passed away about a year ago from other complications.

Fibromyalgia is also a mysterious disease. Something a lot of doctors can't quite pin point on the exact cause of it. It makes you very weak, I think it even makes you bruise or make the bones ache quite a bit. -algia means pain (as I've learned in my terminology book), so I suppose it causes constant pain.

Is there anyway you can get on an insurance plan that your husband has? Ususally spouses are able to get on the insurance plan their spouse has, if his job offers such a benefit (which most would). I get about $70 deducted from my paycheck every month for health insurance. Right now I have double insurance because I'm still on my Dad's plan until I'm 25, so I guess I'm rather fortunate, but I have had a time when I didn't have health insurance and it's by far - very risky. Check out einsurance.com. I was looking there for my boyfriend who also doesn't have benefits because he's self employed, so I was looking for him and they had some reasonable plans. Sometimes anythng will do, even if it's cheapo - it's better to pay into something rather than nothing.

Hey Krissy...

unfortunately the health insurance that is offered for through my husband's work...doesn't cover nearly anything, it is the most horrible insurance I have ever heard of...and it is too much to pay into it too...it's just not something that we can afford to pay every month, and have it cover nearly nothing at all.

Yes, your descriptions of the 3 are pretty accurate....

I seem to have symptoms of a few of them...mainly pertaining to hypothyroidism and fibromyalgia....I gain weight for no reason, I have very dry skin, my muscles ache (sometimes so much that I cannot even make a fist), my womanly cycles are totally messed up, I lose a lot of hair, I am always cold, I have brittle nails, often depressed...etc... I was tested for a thyroid problem a few years ago..but it came back normal, although, I have read many stories about people borderlining normal/abnormal...but infact, having the condition. Also, there are supposedly more extensive testings they can give (which I was never administered)...but alas, no insurance = no extensive testings.  I am almost positive that I have a thyroid problem...but every doctor that I have addressed it too, didn't really give me too much time regarding my concerns. I wish there was some holistic/natural thing I could take that would be comparable for someone taking meds for a sluggish thyroid...maybe I will have to do some research about that.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 02/25/06 at 12:17 pm

my muscles ache (sometimes so much that I cannot even make a fist), my womanly cycles are totally messed up, I lose a lot of hair, I am always cold, I have brittle nails, often depressed...etc...

Some of these also sound like liver probs. When I was going thru liver failure in 1999 (undiagnosed for over 12 months) - I was depressed, lethargic, achey, sleeping all the time, hair fell out, nails starting peeling away.

When doctors couldnt be bothered with me I cured myself over a 2 year period by stopping alcohol and red meat and taking 12000mg of Gingko Biloba a day. Once my hair stopped falling out I gradually went back to red meat.

If you think it might be FM or CFS have a look at these help sites
http://www.healthinsite.gov.au/topics/Fibromyalgia
http://www.masmith.inspired.net.au/
http://home.iprimus.com.au/rboon/Fibromyalgia.htm
http://www.epodiatry.com/resource/fibromyalgia.htm
http://www.arthritisvic.org.au/Arthritis/fibromyalgia.htm
http://www.depressionet.com.au/conditions/fibromyalgia.html

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/26/06 at 3:27 pm

Hey Krissy...

unfortunately the health insurance that is offered for through my husband's work...doesn't cover nearly anything, it is the most horrible insurance I have ever heard of...and it is too much to pay into it too...it's just not something that we can afford to pay every month, and have it cover nearly nothing at all.

Yes, your descriptions of the 3 are pretty accurate....

I seem to have symptoms of a few of them...mainly pertaining to hypothyroidism and fibromyalgia....I gain weight for no reason, I have very dry skin, my muscles ache (sometimes so much that I cannot even make a fist), my womanly cycles are totally messed up, I lose a lot of hair, I am always cold, I have brittle nails, often depressed...etc... I was tested for a thyroid problem a few years ago..but it came back normal, although, I have read many stories about people borderlining normal/abnormal...but infact, having the condition. Also, there are supposedly more extensive testings they can give (which I was never administered)...but alas, no insurance = no extensive testings.  I am almost positive that I have a thyroid problem...but every doctor that I have addressed it too, didn't really give me too much time regarding my concerns. I wish there was some holistic/natural thing I could take that would be comparable for someone taking meds for a sluggish thyroid...maybe I will have to do some research about that.

Maybe you can attempt to look into Health Net. My mother is on Health Net and pays for it on her own. I'm not sure of the monthly fee, but I don't think it's all too much. I think anything higher than $100 a month is too much. I could've even gotten a cheaper plan besides the one I;m on (through United Healthcare), but I decided to go through their PPO plan, which is generally better than an HMO. And through my work, as I said, luckily it's about $70. I hope you can find a decent insurance. It takes awhile to find the right plan at the right price, but you may save money in the long term - like in paying double (or triple) of what you'd usually pay if you didn't have insurance. My boyfriend still hasn't found an insurance for himself, and in a sense it disappoints me a bit because he's one of the last people I want to see be admitted into the hospital and have to pay huge sums of money while trying to recover (if any of that were to happen). So, I'm going to start pressuring him more.  ;)

You seem to have classic symptoms of an underactive thyroid. I think, if you can, seeing a thyroid specialist (Endrocrinologist) would be the best thing to do. They require different testings (TSH 4 and 3) than the standard ones that a regular GP would have you get. They know the clear signs and they know what's really going on. It could also be a pituitary problem, another gland related to the thyroid.

I hope something can work out. I'll be praying for you.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/26/06 at 9:21 pm

Maybe you can attempt to look into Health Net. My mother is on Health Net and pays for it on her own. I'm not sure of the monthly fee, but I don't think it's all too much. I think anything higher than $100 a month is too much. I could've even gotten a cheaper plan besides the one I;m on (through United Healthcare), but I decided to go through their PPO plan, which is generally better than an HMO. And through my work, as I said, luckily it's about $70. I hope you can find a decent insurance. It takes awhile to find the right plan at the right price, but you may save money in the long term - like in paying double (or triple) of what you'd usually pay if you didn't have insurance. My boyfriend still hasn't found an insurance for himself, and in a sense it disappoints me a bit because he's one of the last people I want to see be admitted into the hospital and have to pay huge sums of money while trying to recover (if any of that were to happen). So, I'm going to start pressuring him more.  ;)

You seem to have classic symptoms of an underactive thyroid. I think, if you can, seeing a thyroid specialist (Endrocrinologist) would be the best thing to do. They require different testings (TSH 4 and 3) than the standard ones that a regular GP would have you get. They know the clear signs and they know what's really going on. It could also be a pituitary problem, another gland related to the thyroid.

I hope something can work out. I'll be praying for you.

Some of these also sound like liver probs. When I was going thru liver failure in 1999 (undiagnosed for over 12 months) - I was depressed, lethargic, achey, sleeping all the time, hair fell out, nails starting peeling away.

When doctors couldnt be bothered with me I cured myself over a 2 year period by stopping alcohol and red meat and taking 12000mg of Gingko Biloba a day. Once my hair stopped falling out I gradually went back to red meat.

If you think it might be FM or CFS have a look at these help sites
http://www.healthinsite.gov.au/topics/Fibromyalgia
http://www.masmith.inspired.net.au/
http://home.iprimus.com.au/rboon/Fibromyalgia.htm
http://www.epodiatry.com/resource/fibromyalgia.htm
http://www.arthritisvic.org.au/Arthritis/fibromyalgia.htm
http://www.depressionet.com.au/conditions/fibromyalgia.html

thanks for the well wishes and links guys, I really appreciate it! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...