inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Older Men/Younger Women

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/16/06 at 1:09 am

I saw a thread for Older Women and Younger Men... so, heck, why not the thread discussing Older Men with Younger women.

What's your take? When is it too far? What's "robbing the cradle" and where does it apply?

Edit:
*** I changed the title - I accidently titled it as Older Men/Younger Men ***

Subject: Re: Older Men/Younger Men

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/16/06 at 1:17 am

I guess it depends on individualized perceptions, and the situations of the two in general.

I do think it's (slightly) more "normal" from a cultural point of view for the guy to be older. After all, many movies depict a middle aged guy with a 20 year old girlfriend. Marriages have kinda tended to be this way too.

Indeed my own parents are sixteen years apart (when they married, my dad was about to turn 41 and my mom was almost 25), so maybe that's one reason I'm pretty liberal/easygoing/nonchalant about stuff like this. ;)

As far as what's "robbing the cradle": People are seeming/acting alot younger these days, so it's not like 40 or 50 is super old or anything, so I'm tempted to say a gap of up to twenty years is no big deal (i.e. a 21 year old girl and a 41 year old guy).

P.S. Even though I obviously favor the "older women/younger men" equasion ( :D ), my thinking on the issue is pretty much the same either way.

Subject: Re: Older Men/Younger Women

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/16/06 at 6:42 am

Personally, I have no problem with age differences, except for the fact that older men can be totally set in their ways. My ex was almost 10 years older than me, and he was totally set in his ways.  I have a 2nd cousin that is married to a guy that is like over 25 years older than her...and he is really, really old looking compared to her. I just think that it would be kind of crappy to be with someone who could hardly get around, while you were still fairly young....but that's just my opinion.  I mean, if you got together when you were 20 and he was like 40, that would be no big deal....but there is a major difference when you get up there in age, like 60 compared to 80, ya know?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/16/06 at 3:05 pm

Personally, I have no problem with age differences, except for the fact that older men can be totally set in their ways. My ex was almost 10 years older than me, and he was totally set in his ways.  I have a 2nd cousin that is married to a guy that is like over 25 years older than her...and he is really, really old looking compared to her. I just think that it would be kind of crappy to be with someone who could hardly get around, while you were still fairly young....but that's just my opinion.  I mean, if you got together when you were 20 and he was like 40, that would be no big deal....but there is a major difference when you get up there in age, like 60 compared to 80, ya know?

I agree on a lot of what you said ^ and Marty ^^ made some good points, too.

I think there should be a limit to certain age differences, but sometimes things just work for no particuliar reason. Usually the age difference gap I would cut it off to would be about 20-25 years. After that, I think it's just so much harder for two people to really understand one another or relate on most levels as a couple - BUT - there are always exceptions to this.

Written By: Howard on 02/16/06 at 3:07 pm

I think in my opinion I should be dating someone not too young but maybe 5-10 years younger than I am.

Check for new replies or respond here...