inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What types of music to you like?

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/17/06 at 2:24 am

I listen to a variety mainly including alternative, hip-hop, r&b, and pop.

Subject: Re: What types of music to you like?

Written By: whistledog on 02/17/06 at 2:27 am

Alternative (mainly British artists only)
Dance (any dance/techno song will do)
Pop (none of the new stuff.  Take it back to the early 90's and anything earlier)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/17/06 at 2:36 am

Alternative/Rock
Metal (Older 70s stuff mostly, not "hair metal", "Nu Metal" or any of that crap)
Reggae/Dub (99% of the reggae/dub I like is from New Zealand)
Other (Older late 70s punk, classic rock, experimental rock, new wave etc)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/06 at 2:46 am

I have a preference to Classical music, but in general terms of popular music, as long as it pleasant to the ear.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/17/06 at 3:58 am

I voted Alternative and Hip Hop, but New Wave, old school rap, and indietronic are my main genres.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/17/06 at 5:17 am

I'll listen to pretty much anything once..................................except rap. 

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/17/06 at 7:07 am

Rock (but leaving out the alternative)  :o
R&B
Pop

Written By: Paul on 02/17/06 at 7:14 am

Anything that doesn't involve 'gangsta (c)rap' or it's countless variants...

Or...anything before 1985!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/17/06 at 7:23 am

Paul simplifies the deal entirely  ;D

Written By: jaytee on 02/17/06 at 8:22 am

Rock (but leaving out the alternative)  :o
R&B
Pop

Same as Fuss but leave in the alternative  :)

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 02/17/06 at 8:37 am

What about Oldies?  That's my favorite. 
I also like classic rock, 80's ballads, just about anything from the 90's.  I do like hip/hop but I'm listening to it less and less these days.  I mean yeah hip/hop lyrics have always been "gangster" and nasty, but it just keeps getting worse and worse.
By the way, who's the idiot that thought they could remake "More than Words"?

Written By: Mephistopheles on 02/17/06 at 8:44 am

What about Oldies?   That's my favorite. 
I also like classic rock, 80's ballads, just about anything from the 90's.   I do like hip/hop but I'm listening to it less and less these days.  I mean yeah hip/hop lyrics have always been "gangster" and nasty, but it just keeps getting worse and worse.
By the way, who's the idiot that thought they could remake "More than Words"?

I don't mean to offend, but that's bullsheesh on so many levels. There is more to rap then what you see on MTV/BET or hear on the radio. Alot more.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/17/06 at 10:36 am

Rock
Pop
R&B
Blues
Other: Folk/Soft Rock

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 02/17/06 at 11:15 am

I don't mean to offend, but that's bullsheesh on so many levels. There is more to rap then what you see on MTV/BET or hear on the radio. Alot more.

Well what is it?  I like the beat to dance to and everything.  I just can't stand most of the latest crap.  I still think no-one was better than Tupac.  :P

Written By: Southern Image on 02/17/06 at 12:25 pm

Alternative/Rock

Written By: Mephistopheles on 02/17/06 at 1:31 pm

Well what is it?   I like the beat to dance to and everything.  I just can't stand most of the latest crap.  I still think no-one was better than Tupac.   :P

Does Kanye West or Common have a gangsta image or rap about being gangsta? No
The reason that most people stereotype rap as being all about pimping, women, violence, drugs or anything of that sort is because that is what is always played on the radio and on MTV, unfortunately. There is such thing as conscious rap, also known as to many gangsta fans as "nerd rap."

Written By: Apricot on 02/17/06 at 2:12 pm

Yeah, that's what pisses me off about some people. I'm not even a big rap fan, but when people keep going on about how the only rap on earth is gangster rap, the whole sweeping generalization thing gets me pissed.

Myself, I personally enjoy.. well, only 1-2 even fit in with the poll you posted. Here's my top genres:

1. Indiepop
2. Avant-Garde/Avant-Garde Jazz
3. Gothic Indie/Gothic Folk
4. Alternative Rock
5. Modern Rock
6. Folk
7. Hip-Hop (not R&B, though, I hate R&B)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/17/06 at 2:58 pm

Yeah, that's what pisses me off about some people. I'm not even a big rap fan, but when people keep going on about how the only rap on earth is gangster rap, the whole sweeping generalization thing gets me pissed.

Myself, I personally enjoy.. well, only 1-2 even fit in with the poll you posted. Here's my top genres:

1. Indiepop
4. Alternative Rock
5. Modern Rock
6. Folk

Indiepop is great! Do you like Postal Service?

Written By: Howard on 02/17/06 at 3:01 pm

Oldies,Disco,Funk,R & B,Hip-Hop,80's and 90's music.

Written By: Apricot on 02/17/06 at 5:13 pm

Indiepop is great! Do you like Postal Service?

The Postal Service is Indie EMO.. Indiepop is like, Momus or The 6ths.

The Postal Service is okay.. they bore me a bit, though... they spawned from Death Cab For Cutie, also a fairly-boring band... but either way, I don't have a whole lot of issue with them.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/17/06 at 5:33 pm

Especially Whitney Houston, right? ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 02/17/06 at 5:39 pm

Pretty much anything other than rap, hip-hop, grunge and opera. :)

Although I don't know much music after 1995 or so... so I can't really comment on current stuff.

Written By: deadrockstar on 02/17/06 at 6:19 pm

My favorite genres:

1.Classic Rock
2.Progressive Bluegrass/"newgrass"
3.Jambands
4.Blues
5.Indie Rock
6.Traditional Bluegrass
7.Folk
8.Jazz
9.Latin(salsa, some cumbia, some tejano, and flamenco)
10.Reggae

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/17/06 at 8:36 pm

The Postal Service is Indie EMO.. Indiepop is like, Momus or The 6ths.

The Postal Service is okay.. they bore me a bit, though... they spawned from Death Cab For Cutie, also a fairly-boring band... but either way, I don't have a whole lot of issue with them.

Postal Service are emo?  Just what is emo?  I think of it as Fall Out Boy and sheesh. 

Written By: Apricot on 02/17/06 at 8:40 pm

Postal Service are emo?  Just what is emo?  I think of it as Fall Out Boy and sheesh. 

Fall-Out Boy isn't EMO, Fall-Out Boy is just pseudo-meaningful bullsh-t, really. Just words that are supposed to sound cool (but fail, in Fall-Out Boy's case) to guitars.

The Postal Service is EMO. EMO is generally emotional music, usually fairly feminine... anything with Ben Gibbard's mark on it is EMO, really.. EMO bands are those which talk about how upset they are, but are just trying to sell their emotion. Some musicians really feel, the general goal of EMO is to make you buy that they feel. They write broad, sad-seeming songs that everyone can relate to.

But that's just the really bad EMO. Postal Service is just the mildly-feminine mellow music.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/17/06 at 10:12 pm

Classic Rock
Hard Rock
Soft Rock
Blues
60's decade
Indian - the Ravi Shankar sitar type music. I love it.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/17/06 at 10:31 pm

Give me anything from the '80s back (Excluding disco) and I'll listen to it. Newer music, anything that's not mainstream.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/17/06 at 10:32 pm

Postal Service... indie

Fall Out Boy... Power Pop...

Written By: ADH13 on 02/17/06 at 10:40 pm

Give me anything from the '80s back (Excluding disco) and I'll listen to it. Newer music, anything that's not mainstream.

aww, you mean you don't like "Who Let The Dogs Out?" ;D

Written By: Apricot on 02/17/06 at 10:41 pm

Postal Service... indie

Fall Out Boy... Power Pop...

Power Pop is a good way to put it.

But The Postal Service are EMO. There's no contesting that. They're comprised of people who have been around Ben Gibbard for more then 10 minutes... EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMO!  ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/17/06 at 10:43 pm

more specifically, I like:

New Wave, Indie, Alternative, Grunge, Rock, Classic Rock, Jazz, Blues, Reggae, Ska, Industrial, Ambient, Avant-Garde, Musique Concrete, Techno, Electronica, House, Rave, Folk, Punk, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Tejano, Funk, Alternative Country, Country (Older stuff), uh... more that I can't think of.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/17/06 at 10:44 pm

Power Pop is a good way to put it.

But The Postal Service are EMO. There's no contesting that. They're comprised of people who have been around Ben Gibbard for more then 10 minutes... EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMO!  ;D

I think Emo is more of a stereotype, not a musical genre.

Written By: Apricot on 02/17/06 at 10:53 pm

I think Emo is more of a stereotype, not a musical genre.

No, there's a definitive EMO genre... it's half-skater, half-punk, very..... gay, to be blunt.

It's just moderately-feminine punk.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/17/06 at 11:03 pm

aww, you mean you don't like "Who Let The Dogs Out?" ;D

Um... well... no.

It's, how should I put this... Terrible  :P

Written By: ADH13 on 02/17/06 at 11:05 pm

Um... well... no.

It's, how should I put this... Terrible  :P

LOL I agree!!  Alot of people around here like it only because it's somehow associated with the Oakland Raiders. :P

Written By: ADH13 on 02/17/06 at 11:19 pm

1. Indiepop
4. Alternative Rock
5. Modern Rock
6. Folk

Do you like Metallica?  If you haven't heard them already you would probably like "Fade To Black" and "One".

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/17/06 at 11:21 pm

LOL I agree!!  Alot of people around here like it only because it's somehow associated with the Oakland Raiders. :P

um... how now?

BTW, It's snowing around here, should be snowing in San Jose/ Santa Clara tomorrow.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/17/06 at 11:23 pm

1. Indiepop
4. Alternative Rock
5. Modern Rock
6. Folk

I like old R&B, like Motown stuff... but I don't like the newer stuff, which is like hip hop, only without rapping.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/17/06 at 11:23 pm

um... how now?

BTW, It's snowing around here, should be snowing in San Jose/ Santa Clara tomorrow.

Really?? In town?  Or just in the mountains?  We haven't had any real snow here since before I moved here... so sometime before 1984.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/17/06 at 11:28 pm

mainly classic rock & punk...but I also like some newer rock and pop.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/17/06 at 11:29 pm

Really?? In town?  Or just in the mountains?  We haven't had any real snow here since before I moved here... so sometime before 1984.

I dunno, it's what weather.com says.. "San Jose: Snow Showers"

Written By: ADH13 on 02/17/06 at 11:34 pm

I like old R&B, like Motown stuff... but I don't like the newer stuff, which is like hip hop, only without rapping.

I don't even know newer stuff... the most current songs I have in my collection are:

Fly Away - Lenny Kravitz - 1998
Baby Blue - George Strait - 1998
I Don't Want To Miss A Thing - Aerosmith - 1997

Most of my music is 1995 and back.

Written By: mandamoo on 02/18/06 at 1:33 am

Rock, R&B, Pop and other; Disco

Written By: rich1981 on 02/18/06 at 2:07 am

Alternative Rock, Metal, Punk and Pop

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/18/06 at 3:31 am

Classic Rock, Dance, Pop, and R&B

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/18/06 at 7:23 am

8) Rock and roll first of all, but in diff situations I love others..live in concert..I saw Waylon and Williy(SP?) ..and it was great..I also have been to Beale St here in Memphis and seen the blues live...BB king rules!..I also like Jazz..If I am there.. I also got the soundtrack to Oh Brother Where art Thou..and I love the music..Nightly I listen to this soundtrack...As I Went Down To The River To Pray.. and Nobody but the Baby...Especially.." Man of Constant Sorrow"..great song..I guess I can say I really love all.. I just listen to whatever mood I am in.. ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/20/06 at 8:14 am

Classic Rock,Disco,Funk,70's,80's,90's and today.

Written By: Apricot on 02/21/06 at 7:25 pm

Do you like Metallica?  If you haven't heard them already you would probably like "Fade To Black" and "One".

I've heard a bit.. I can't say it was my favorite stuff, but I could tolerate it.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/21/06 at 7:32 pm

<rant>
I can't stand music elitists. People who only listen to one type of music and nothing else. And everyone else is wrong for listening to anything else. This is especially true for alot of indie rock fans I've had the misfortune of meeting/talking to.
</rant>

Written By: Apricot on 02/21/06 at 7:39 pm

<rant>
I can't stand music elitists. People who only listen to one type of music and nothing else. And everyone else is wrong for listening to anything else. This is especially true for alot of indie rock fans I've had the misfortune of meeting/talking to.
</rant>

The Indie Rock fans are very annoying.

I have no grudge against any movements.. I have grudges against musicians in specific.

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/22/06 at 12:54 am

8) Rock and Roll,,first.( Led Zep, Aerosmith, ZZ Topp....ETC ETC..), I also really get into 70s music...some of the really , well, songs that now PPLE think are wierd...(..Ambrosia..Thats how much I Feel,( personal reasons,)..Shannon..Brandi.., ( Sailors say Brandi, your a fine girl, what a good wife you would be..)....Bad Bad Leroy Brown,...Horse with no name,..Me and Bobby McGhee,...Oh..TONS others..I also get into jazz and the Blues...Remember I live in Memphis..Beale ST is THE place to go..BB King has a club and I have seen him Play many a time....When Stevie Ray was alive I sat 3rd row at the Orpheum Theatre..I was BLOWN away...he is ..and was the best guitarist that ever lived... 8)

Check for new replies or respond here...