inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: For people here named after characters, how do you relate to your namesake?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 4:27 pm

I am like the movie Donnie Darko because I am weird but smart.  Jake Gyllenhaal portrayed me pretty well, but got some things wrong.  One thing, I think the Smurfs are hilarious, and don't analyze how they began.  Two, I've never had a girfriend, and for sure not one named Gretchen.  Three, I never died, I was warped into a Tangent Universe.  But somehow I can communicate into this one via the Internet.

Subject: Re: For people here named after characters, how do you relate to your namesake?

Written By: Step-chan on 02/21/06 at 4:28 pm

I don't know if my name counts or not. ???

Subject: Re: For people here named after characters, how do you relate to your namesake?

Written By: Howard on 02/21/06 at 4:34 pm

What do you mean by "namesake"?  ???

Written By: nally on 02/21/06 at 4:36 pm

What do you mean by "namesake"?  ???

Person or thing you're named after, or is named after you.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/06 at 4:37 pm

Person or thing you're named after, or is named after you.

I'm named after my household name "Howard".

Written By: nally on 02/21/06 at 4:38 pm

I'm named after my household name "Howard".

I thought that was your first name. ???

Written By: Howard on 02/21/06 at 4:41 pm

I thought that was your first name. ???

Yes of course it's my first name.

Written By: Apricot on 02/21/06 at 5:34 pm

Well, I'm not a character, per se, but it's a Gary Numan reference. The band he worked with was called "The Tubeway Army".. so, I'm the "Tubeway General".. get it? GET IT?

But anyway... I don't suppose I relate much to Gary Numan.. I do appear a bit dark and unusual on the outside, but I really have the potential to be quite uplifting and enjoyable from time to time.... that reminds me of him and his music, somewhat.

I was once named after a few Momus song characters from time to time (Hippopotamomus, Bishonen, Marquis of Sadness, etc.) but I don't bear much semblance to any of those characters... except maybe Marquis of Sadness, with the whole bitter critical poet thing.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 6:14 pm

Well, I'm not a character, per se, but it's a Gary Numan reference. The band he worked with was called "The Tubeway Army".. so, I'm the "Tubeway General".. get it? GET IT?

But anyway... I don't suppose I relate much to Gary Numan.. I do appear a bit dark and unusual on the outside, but I really have the potential to be quite uplifting and enjoyable from time to time.... that reminds me of him and his music, somewhat.

I was once named after a few Momus song characters from time to time (Hippopotamomus, Bishonen, Marquis of Sadness, etc.) but I don't bear much semblance to any of those characters... except maybe Marquis of Sadness, with the whole bitter critical poet thing.

Wait, wait?  Gary Numan?  I thought you hated '80s music.  Are you finally an out-of-the-closet synth pop fan?  ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/21/06 at 6:25 pm

i have no idea  8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/21/06 at 6:33 pm

I had been listening to Badfinger that day as usual, and I was surfin the net lookin for 70's style websites and found this one really had a huge  music/rock emphasis, so why not join and declare my loyalty to one of my fav bands. Sad thing is there's only 1 surviving member of the band.  :\'(  played their CD Straight Up on way to work today. I'm not obsessed or completely in the know when it comes to Badfinger lore, but they were good to me in my teens and I owe them some loyalty.

Written By: Apricot on 02/21/06 at 6:40 pm

Wait, wait?  Gary Numan?  I thought you hated '80s music.  Are you finally an out-of-the-closet synth pop fan?  ;)

80s is another one of those over-used genres.. it's a whole decade, it's got it's own genres too.

Gary Numan is a pretty good musician.. I found out it wasn't all synths I hated, just that one really annoying one that seemed to be used on every 80s mainstream pop song. Gary Numan is an enjoyable and inventive musician, which makes him acceptable.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm into the 80s now, but I do enjoy a few bands from the time (Gary Numan and The Tubeway Army, Pulp, etc.)

Written By: loki 13 on 02/21/06 at 7:20 pm

Loki the mischievous God of Norse mythology.
I like practical jokes and can be very mischievous and sometimes
childish.Loki was the 13th and unwanted guest at a banquet.
I was born on a Friday 13th and often feel unwanted but that
is because I seem to just blend in and go unnoticed.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 7:58 pm

80s is another one of those over-used genres.. it's a whole decade, it's got it's own genres too.

Gary Numan is a pretty good musician.. I found out it wasn't all synths I hated, just that one really annoying one that seemed to be used on every 80s mainstream pop song. Gary Numan is an enjoyable and inventive musician, which makes him acceptable.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm into the 80s now, but I do enjoy a few bands from the time (Gary Numan and The Tubeway Army, Pulp, etc.)

Ah, okay :)

I see what you mean by stereotypical '80s synths, like that (doom dum deem dum, doom dum deem dum) and that hollowey snare.  Those are pretty cheesy  ;D
Some New Wave bands, like Tears for Fears are much more creative.

Written By: Apricot on 02/21/06 at 7:59 pm

Ah, okay :)

I see what you mean by stereotypical '80s synths, like that (doom dum deem dum, doom dum deem dum) and that hollowey snare.  Those are pretty cheesy  ;D
Some New Wave bands, like Tears for Fears are much more creative.

Dude... that hollow snare... oh my God.. that's been the bane of my existence since I was a wee bairn. That ruins any song for me.  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 8:01 pm

Dude... that hollow snare... oh my God.. that's been the bane of my existence since I was a wee bairn. That ruins any song for me.  ;D

;D

I like it ... because it's so cheesy. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/21/06 at 10:33 pm

I am not named after anyone...it's merely a trait that I possess. ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/21/06 at 11:30 pm

I'd have to say I'm named after myself.

Written By: whistledog on 02/22/06 at 1:58 am

A Whistle Dog is a hot dog, so the only thing we have in common is large wieners ;D

Yeah, yeah I know .. TMI ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/22/06 at 2:12 am

How do I relate to my namesake?

I'll let others guess.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/23/06 at 10:49 pm

Must've missed this a couple days ago. Good thread, though. :)

I definitely have a bit in common with the real Marty McFly. Aside from us both being into Huey Lewis and alot of things "80s", he seems like your typical laid back teenage guy who's into playing music, girls, etc. If we were to observe a "typical" day in the life, before the events of Part 1, I bet you'd find him hanging out at an arcade or the mall, just having a good time.

I recall guys like him around this time from when I was pretty young, too.

While he's not shown with any friends besides his band and Doc, he strikes me as the type who'd want to be the center of attention. In times, he's almost got a "smarta*s" sense of humor - ya know, not afraid to say what we all might be thinking in a given situation.

My personality is kinda like that.

In the sequels, he has a problem where he goes crazy whenever anyone calls him "chicken" - basically he can't say no to a dare. This leads to him having a not so good life in the version of 2015 we see in Part II. While I'm not too much of a risktaker in that sense, I do care about what others think of me.

Sometimes too much, or to where I'll (albeit only slightly) alter my actions in an effort to have others like/accept me.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/23/06 at 10:59 pm

Ultraviolet really has no nemesis. I guess now that the movie "Ultraviolet" is coming out, I can relate to the super human qualities of that character, if I see it. But, to me, Ultraviolet has another meaning -

I can sting with my rays - but I'm nearly invisible.

I can give bad sunburn.

There you go, that's as inventive as I can get right now, lol.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/23/06 at 11:01 pm

Sister Morphine is a Stones song, so I guess you could call it "character" seeing as it's the drug represented in the song.

How am I like morphine?  Well, I don't know. 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/23/06 at 11:33 pm

Ultraviolet really has no nemesis. I guess now that the movie "Ultraviolet" is coming out, I can relate to the super human qualities of that character, if I see it. But, to me, Ultraviolet has another meaning -

I can sting with my rays - but I'm nearly invisible.

I can give bad sunburn.

There you go, that's as inventive as I can get right now, lol.

;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/23/06 at 11:52 pm

My name is Jamie, and unlike McBain from The Simpsons, I'm not....

a)  Austrian
b)  Scottish with an Austrian accent
c)  bad actor
d)  trigger happy

;D

So I have nothing in common with McBain.

;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/23/06 at 11:54 pm

My name is Jamie, and unlike McBain from The Simpsons, I'm not....

a)  Austrian
b)  Scottish with an Austrian accent
c)  bad actor
d)  trigger happy

;D

So I have nothing in common with McBain.

;D

Cool, Jamie McKenzie  ;D

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 02/23/06 at 11:59 pm

Hmm. I named myself after the article of clothing. I relate because... um... um... I'm lifeless, a tad drab, and many people would enjoy seeing me hung up somewhere?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/24/06 at 12:03 am

Cool, Jamie McKenzie  ;D

I'm not Scottish....Repeat...... I'm not Scottish.   ;D

McBain from the show is, and he sounds like the governator....  ;D

In fact, McBain isn't my real last name.

Nor am I Austrian.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 12:16 am

I'm not Scottish....Repeat...... I'm not Scottish.   ;D

McBain from the show is, and he sounds like the governator....  ;D

In fact, McBain isn't my real last name.

Nor am I Austrian.

;D

My name isn't really Donnie, although here it is!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...