inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Buying/reserving a particular URL

Written By: Tia on 02/23/06 at 5:17 pm

Does anybody have any advice on buying/reserving a URL? Like who the best people are to go to, what I can expect to pay, etc?

Turns out there's a very, very catchy URL out there that hasn't been snagged yet that I would like to grab before someone else does. But I know nothing about such things.

Subject: Re: Buying/reserving a particular URL

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/23/06 at 5:25 pm

I'm not sure, but you can easily get one for about 30 bucks a year.

Written By: karen on 02/24/06 at 7:16 am

On another forum I belong to someone there has just done this.  I think all the details (plus more stuff) are in this thread.  But it's a UK based forum though much of the stuff is probably similar

Written By: Tia on 02/24/06 at 7:25 am

hmm. turns out somebody grabbed the catchy url i wanted to use (.com and .net!) and is just SITTING on it!  >:( but you know what? a .co.uk extension would be cool as heck. i wonder if you have to actually be british. i'ma look into that.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/24/06 at 7:31 am

hmm. turns out somebody grabbed the catchy url i wanted to use (.com and .net!) and is just SITTING on it!  >:( but you know what? a .co.uk extension would be cool as heck. i wonder if you have to actually be british. i'ma look into that.

I imagine you could be from Alpha Centauri as long as you were prepared to pay for it  ;D

Written By: karen on 02/24/06 at 7:33 am

They might have bought that one as well.  Depends on what you were looking for but people often buy several so that you can link them all to one page and catch people who speculatively type and url into the address bar

Written By: Tia on 02/24/06 at 7:41 am

They might have bought that one as well.  Depends on what you were looking for but people often buy several so that you can link them all to one page and catch people who speculatively type and url into the address bar
for brevity i didn't get into it but actually separate outfits have the .com and the .net, so chances are pretty good co.uk is still around.

the .com the guy's just sitting on. the .net is actually taken by a pretty good "stoner rock" outfit out of oregon. imagine i start off searching about a children's movie from the 1970s i rather liked, and end up discovering there's a genre called "stoner rock" that's completely unrelated.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 02/25/06 at 12:24 pm

let me guess - you were searching on PuffnStuff !!!!!

I use netsol to buy my domains.

If someone is just sitting on a domain and not using it you can contact them via whois.com and ask them to release it.

Sometimes its just a generic company who has purchased a zillion names for the sake of it and they release them if they are asked nicely.

Written By: Tia on 02/25/06 at 6:10 pm

let me guess - you were searching on PuffnStuff !!!!!

I use netsol to buy my domains.

If someone is just sitting on a domain and not using it you can contact them via whois.com and ask them to release it.

Sometimes its just a generic company who has purchased a zillion names for the sake of it and they release them if they are asked nicely.
puffnstuff is good. although landofthelost.com is taken.

i might be able to get halebopp.com. although hale-bopp.com might be better. i dunno, i'll have to look into it.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 6:17 pm

Does anybody have any advice on buying/reserving a URL? Like who the best people are to go to, what I can expect to pay, etc?

Turns out there's a very, very catchy URL out there that hasn't been snagged yet that I would like to grab before someone else does. But I know nothing about such things.

They call them domain names.  Yeah, they're pretty cheap, you can register them easily but I don't know the exact process.

Check for new replies or respond here...