inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Defining "Geek" and "Nerd"

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 2:05 am

I think a "Geek" is someone who worships/is obsessed with a certain thing.  Like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, decades, whatever.  Or, they're just a "loser".

A "nerd" is a socially inept, but very smart person, or a "hipster" comic book type guy.

Subject: Re: Defining "Geek" and "Nerd"

Written By: whistledog on 02/25/06 at 2:38 am

I think a "Geek" is someone who worships/is obsessed with a certain thing.  Like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, decades, whatever.  Or, they're just a "loser".

A "nerd" is a socially inept, but very smart person, or a "hipster" comic book type guy.

You've hit the nail on the head.  I agree with both of those answers :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 2:39 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: rich1981 on 02/25/06 at 2:59 am

So would you then say a dork is a nerd minus the "very smart" portion?

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/25/06 at 3:01 am

So would you then say a dork is a nerd minus the "very smart" portion?

A dork is like a combination of a nerd and a loser in a way. Probably the most accurate for someone who, say tries to be cool but looks silly in doing so. For some reason, the word always equated humor to me. ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 3:03 am

A dork is like a combination of a nerd and a loser in a way. Probably the most accurate for someone who, say tries to be cool but looks silly in doing so. For some reason, the word always equated humor to me. ;)

Isn't "Dork" a very eighties word too? 

I'm kind of a "dork".  I use hip hop slang, etc., but I probably look like an idiot  ;D

Quentin Tarantino would be your archetypical dork.

Written By: YWN on 02/25/06 at 3:39 am

Nerd = the kind of person who makes a thread about the differences between nerds and dorks

Dork = the kind of person who replies to a thread about the differences between nerds and dorks

Smartass = me

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 4:12 am

Nerd = the kind of person who makes a thread about the differences between nerds and dorks

Dork = the kind of person who replies to a thread about the differences between nerds and dorks

Smartass = me

;D

Written By: Tia on 02/25/06 at 4:13 am

Smartass = me

yesum.

i think a nerd tends to browbeat other people with their intelligence. nerds are often closet fascists about being smarter than everyone around them, and they friggin' bug me.

geeks are subject to obsessive enthusiasms for various geeky things -- t.v. shows, movies, books, dressing up in leather, whatever. i tend to like geeks.

dorks are social misfits. i want to like them, but they tend to annoy me because they chew with their mouth open and touch themselves in inappropriate ways and stuff.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/25/06 at 9:51 am

Geeks are cool. ;)

Written By: Tia on 02/25/06 at 9:54 am

Geeks are cool. ;)
clapclapclap!

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/25/06 at 12:44 pm

Geeks are cool. ;)

that would be me then.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/25/06 at 1:14 pm

I would have to agree, geeks are less annoying than nerds.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/25/06 at 2:01 pm

What about dorks? I did a Napolean Dynamite Nerd/Geek/dork test* and got pure dork(it would have probably been different if anime questions were involved as well).

*On a thread on this site.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/25/06 at 2:05 pm

yesum.

i think a nerd tends to browbeat other people with their intelligence. nerds are often closet fascists about being smarter than everyone around them, and they friggin' bug me.

geeks are subject to obsessive enthusiasms for various geeky things -- t.v. shows, movies, books, dressing up in leather, whatever. i tend to like geeks.

dorks are social misfits. i want to like them, but they tend to annoy me because they chew with their mouth open and touch themselves in inappropriate ways and stuff.

Okay.........

Nerds and geeks also do the last thing that you mentioned that dorks do. ::)

Written By: Step-chan on 02/25/06 at 2:13 pm

Is there a way to be two of the categories? :D

Written By: ADH13 on 02/25/06 at 2:23 pm

So Anthony Michael Hall played a dork on Sixteen Candles?

Written By: Step-chan on 02/25/06 at 2:24 pm

So Anthony Michael Hall played a dork on Sixteen Candles?

I wouldn't know, haven't seen the movie.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/26/06 at 9:07 pm

that would be me then.

yes, and you my friend...are very cool! ;) :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/26/06 at 9:19 pm

yes, and you my friend...are very cool! ;) :)

er.. thanks!

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/27/06 at 3:01 am

touch themselves in inappropriate ways and stuff.

I don't know how you'd define touching oneself in an 'inappropriate' way. Is there an 'inappropriate' manner to doing what I think you're referring to? If so, then I think we're all guilty... ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 02/27/06 at 3:06 am

I don't know how you'd define touching oneself in an 'inappropriate' way. Is there an 'inappropriate' manner to doing what I think you're referring to? If so, then I think we're all guilty... ;D

I'm assuming he means in public.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 02/27/06 at 5:55 am

Is there a way to be two of the categories? :D

I've always felt like a nerdy geek personally, and I don't care who knows    ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 02/27/06 at 2:21 pm

I've always felt like a nerdy geek personally, and I don't care who knows    ;D

In my case, Dork(social outcast) and Geek(anime/Nirvana fan) combined. A test said I was "Pure Dork" though, but I can't go by that completely since didn't have questions that would have mixed my results up.

Written By: Apricot on 02/27/06 at 2:47 pm

A "Nerd" is a very intelligent person. Contrary to some stereotyping, they aren't always socially-awkward. They just tend to be very school-oriented.

I know it wasn't asked, but I think to understand geek, you need to know "dork". A dork is socially-inept. They're often physically awkward, annoying, dirty, unattractive, or a combination of these things.

"Geeks" are more the stereotype of nerds. They're very school-oriented, but lack social skills. They're half nerd, half dork.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/27/06 at 3:02 pm

A "Nerd" is a very intelligent person. Contrary to some stereotyping, they aren't always socially-awkward. They just tend to be very school-oriented.

I know it wasn't asked, but I think to understand geek, you need to know "dork". A dork is socially-inept. They're often physically awkward, annoying, dirty, unattractive, or a combination of these things.

"Geeks" are more the stereotype of nerds. They're very school-oriented, but lack social skills. They're half nerd, half dork.

OUCH! 

I seriously need to post a pic of myself, if only I could get someone to help me do it.

One thing is, I had a bad attitude toward school. I graduated, but with average marks. How would you know if a "dork" only has those traits. The funny thing is that anyone can have the traits that you listed dorks have, even preps and yuppie types(well, the annoying part anyway), as some people can hide their real self to fit in. Fitting in is something I never tried to do and never will, due to fact I definetly lack social skills, do you think the Napolean Dynamite test should be redone?

Written By: Apricot on 02/27/06 at 3:11 pm

I seriously need to post a pic of myself, if only I could get someone to help me do it.

One thing is, I had a bad attitude toward school. I graduated, but with average marks. How would you know if a "dork" only has those traits. The funny thing is that anyone can have the traits that you listed dorks have, even preps and yuppie types(well, the annoying part anyway), as some people can hide their real self to fit in. Fitting in is something I never tried to do and never will, due to fact I definetly lack social skills, do you think the Napolean Dynamite test should be redone?

Anyone can have them, but a dork has them in combination, usually... the social awkwardness factor is always there, but it can be caused or in addition to other things.

Dork annoying is usually over-bearing and uninteresting.. more of an "Oh My God, leave me alone!" annoying, not a "Oh My God, you're superficial/airheaded/a hermaphrodite/etc." annoying. It's people who are always there that you don't want to be there.. usually because they have other dork traits.

If you don't TRY to fit in, you're not a dork or nerd, you're just a non-conformist.

Now, going on your alleged anime obsession... I'd say you have a fanboy personality with nerd-interests. Usually, anime is a nerd thing... but you're into it, and you don't strike me as a nerd.

Written By: Tia on 02/27/06 at 3:30 pm

I think of anime as more of a "gimp" or "hunchback" interest.

For the record, "geek" used to refer to sideshow circus attractions who bit the heads off of chickens. It had to eb chickens for some reason; if it was rats or something else, you weren't a "geek."

And "dork" once referred to the business part of a male whale's anatomy.

"nerd," as far as I can tell, has just always meant nerd.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/06 at 3:34 pm

http://www.boswellsdiscountparty.com/Images/gag%20album/images/Nerd%20Kit_jpg.jpg

;D

Written By: Step-chan on 02/27/06 at 3:51 pm

Anyone can have them, but a dork has them in combination, usually... the social awkwardness factor is always there, but it can be caused or in addition to other things.

Dork annoying is usually over-bearing and uninteresting.. more of an "Oh My God, leave me alone!" annoying, not a "Oh My God, you're superficial/airheaded/a hermaphrodite/etc." annoying. It's people who are always there that you don't want to be there.. usually because they have other dork traits.

If you don't TRY to fit in, you're not a dork or nerd, you're just a non-conformist.

Now, going on your alleged anime obsession... I'd say you have a fanboy personality with nerd-interests. Usually, anime is a nerd thing... but you're into it, and you don't strike me as a nerd.

Especially since I typed my previous post wrong, that's the first clue that I'm not a nerd per say(although I've called myself one, sort of a nerd-like fanatic type). I'm not very social, but I'm not really awkward because of it. I'm only annoying to those who are stuck-up(who hate to be in the same room with me). In high school, I was teased more for video game fanaticism than anything else(and some of those people still tease me to this day if they see me, I usually just give them the half-peace sign and walk away).

Some of the people I knew in high school got over the popularity thing and grew up(one person who worked at the same place I did, grew up. He treated me like a human being. He treated me like crap in school, so it was a complete 180 when I worked with him.). The thing was alot of people said I didn't bathe(I did and do bathe) and it just got worse when I started growing my hair out, basically I was just uncool to be around, some people I met for the first time would turn their backs on me later(just so they would fit in). I was also an outsider in high school(started out in IPS, it wasn't so bad there, since others knew me to some degree. Ended up going to Beech Grove, more preppy types went there).

I think there is probably no word in the nerd/geek/dork category that really describes me.

Other than long-winded, which I get from my grandfather. ::) :D

Written By: Howard on 02/27/06 at 4:00 pm

Louis Skolnick was A NERD. ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 02/27/06 at 4:02 pm

Louis Skolnick was A NERD. ;D

Revenge of the nerds is one of my favorite movies! ;D

Written By: Apricot on 02/27/06 at 4:25 pm

I think of anime as more of a "gimp" or "hunchback" interest.

For the record, "geek" used to refer to sideshow circus attractions who bit the heads off of chickens. It had to eb chickens for some reason; if it was rats or something else, you weren't a "geek."

And "dork" once referred to the business part of a male whale's anatomy.

"nerd," as far as I can tell, has just always meant nerd.

The term "nerd" was coined by Dr. Seuss as a nonsense word in one of his books. For some reason, it stuck.

Anime as a hunchback thing? I have friends that are into anime, and they're not scary-looking or gimpish.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/06 at 4:49 pm

Revenge of the nerds is one of my favorite movies! ;D

Me Too.O0

Written By: Step-chan on 02/28/06 at 2:08 pm

The term "nerd" was coined by Dr. Seuss as a nonsense word in one of his books. For some reason, it stuck.

Anime as a hunchback thing? I have friends that are into anime, and they're not scary-looking or gimpish.

Neither am I. Although I look alittle more stressed out lately(due to work and financial problems).

Written By: Step-chan on 02/28/06 at 2:09 pm

Me Too.O0

O0 O0 Woot!

Written By: Howard on 02/28/06 at 5:01 pm

http://www.widewordofsports.com/images/Other/skolnick_louis.jpg

You can't get any nerdy than David Carradine. ;D

Written By: Tia on 02/28/06 at 5:04 pm

http://www.widewordofsports.com/images/Other/skolnick_louis.jpg

You can get any nerdy than David Carradine. ;D
technically those characters in that movie are more geeks. except booger, i'd classify him as a dork.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/28/06 at 5:33 pm

technically those characters in that movie are more geeks. except booger, i'd classify him as a dork.

Because of his gross behavior I imagine, why else would he be called "Booger"? :D

Written By: Howard on 02/28/06 at 5:49 pm

He's more dork than nerd?

Written By: Step-chan on 02/28/06 at 5:54 pm

He's more dork than nerd?

He was apparently smart enough to get into college. Some people are the biggest blurs when it comes to their social categories(like me, who has no real title in any category).

Written By: Howard on 02/28/06 at 5:58 pm

He was apparently smart enough to get into college. Some people are the biggest blurs when it comes to their social categories(like me, who has no real title in any category).

So this was part of the story?

Written By: Step-chan on 02/28/06 at 6:26 pm

So this was part of the story?

I don't think it was, it just that Booger is in college with others like Louis and Pointdexter, some people are smarter than they look.

;)

Check for new replies or respond here...