inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What are your neighbours like ?

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/25/06 at 7:23 am

"My neighbours annoy the crap out of me, someone should blow them up"

Which is in part, why I am shortly to move house  :P

Subject: Re: What are your neighbours like ?

Written By: gemini on 02/25/06 at 7:27 am

I don't know yet.  We had new neighbors move in during Fall, when it was starting to get cold, so I haven't had a chance to officially meet them yet, since we haven't really been out in the yard alot.  But, when I've been taking out the trash, I've seen one of them and waved and said hello, she didn't say anything. I have a feeling they're not too friendly.

Written By: mandamoo on 02/25/06 at 7:28 am

I like my neighbours, they are okay. :)

I think we are pretty lucky, we all keep to ourselves. ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/25/06 at 7:32 am

I don't know yet.  We had new neighbors move in during Fall, when it was starting to get cold, so I haven't had a chance to officially meet them yet, since we haven't really been out in the yard alot.  But, when I've been taking out the trash, I've seen one of them and waved and said hello, she didn't say anything. I have a feeling they're not too friendly.

Hmmmm  :-\\

Try putting the trash in their yard, that should give you an indicator of how they are  :P

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/25/06 at 7:33 am

I like my neighbours, they are okay. :)

I think we are pretty lucky, we all keep to ourselves. ;)

OMG, you live in some sort of PARADISE mooster  ;D

Written By: gemini on 02/25/06 at 7:34 am

Hmmmm  :-\\

Try putting the trash in their yard, that should give you an indicator of how they are   :P

;D  I do know they have a dog that barks ALOT! So, I'm gonna change my vote to They annoy the crap out of me!  :D

Written By: mandamoo on 02/25/06 at 7:38 am

OMG, you live in some sort of PARADISE mooster  ;D

Oh wait....one neighbour has a yappy little chihuahua ! :o

Though it's usually kept indoors ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/25/06 at 7:52 am

We have a neighbor who is so annoying.His name is Mark.Him And My Father have been good friends for well over 25 years.We've adopted him and he's called either "stepson" OR "Uncle Mark". ;D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/25/06 at 7:57 am

;D  I do know they have a dog that barks ALOT! So, I'm gonna change my vote to They annoy the crap out of me!  :D

This is one of my primary reasons for why my neighbours annoy me  :o  DOGS  >:(    ;D ;D ;D

Written By: jaytee on 02/25/06 at 8:47 am

OMG that's what our neighbours would say about us!!

We have fantastic neighbours.  On one side we have Ivy and Lionel both almost 90 who are the most adorable people you could ever meet and Val  (about 80) who is hard of hearing (which makes like a lot easier when you have 4 kids that like yelling!!)  All of them take the view that having young people next to them makes them "feel alive" - I just hope that I can be as tolerant as they are.  Just recently I took up the hem of Lionel's  new jeans and in return he painted me the most beautiful Australian landscape which is now hanging on my dining room wall.  They all have lived in the neighbourhood for the past 60 or so years and are just living enclyopedia about the district.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/06 at 9:02 am

I like my neighbours, they are okay, but can be bit noisy, especially with James Blunt

Written By: Gis on 02/25/06 at 9:19 am

I have new neighbours of a month and they are driving me INSANE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I must explain that we live in a terrace of houses so only a wall seperates us.They are two young lads who play pounding music constantly. I have been round to complain when it was so loud all our furniture was vibrating and we were having to shout at each other to speak ! Also they play music until the early hours which p*sses me off big time.I have to get up at 6.30 am for work and when they keep me awake until 1.30 am I'm not happy.I have complained to their rental agency twice too so we shall have to see if that has any effect.This week they played 'The Final Countdown' and the Bloodhound gang song 'Discovery Channel' on repeat for 4 hours, only those two songs over and over, I had to go out in the end to get away from it !
Also I'm not looking forward to the summer as the haven't put any rubbish/garbage out yet for collection, it's all just piled in the back yard..................

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/25/06 at 9:48 am

my neighbors are total jerks.  We have a drunk couple on one side of us...who argue loudly all the time, are always wasted, AND try to tell us what to do (as if they were our landlords, but in reality we own our home) ::)

The people on the other side of us consist of a drunken whore (and that's putting it nicely) and her two sons (whom you never really see...they don't have a life and must not work or do anything productive in society...even though one is like 18 and the other one has to be in his 20's....you only occasionally see the one roaming around the neighborhood every once in awhile...hmmm, maybe they are vampires)...the lady literally has a different man staying at her place...like every week, and there was even an incident last summer where her flavor of the week's WIFE came over in the middle of the night and literally ripped him a new one, right in front of our houses....she kicked over his motorcycle and called the cops....it was quite the scene. ::)

The only "normal" neighbor is some old lady that lives across the street...she doesn't talk too much, but that's not always a bad thing. lol! ;D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 02/25/06 at 12:00 pm

I chose

but I should specify that I dont mean all of them !!!

I live in a complex of 4 residential apartments and 2 business.

Downstairs we have a real estate agency. Some of its staff are obnoxious a**holes. The other business is a teen gay and lesbian counselling service.
The main issue is the parking. They park anywhere they want. We residents all own a car bay each and the business's have 2 and 4 bays. The real estate creeps park in everyone elses bays - or they park in the middle of the driveway so no one can get in or out. The counselling service has two bays and they are meant to be for staff - not clients. Its a private car park so no clients or visitors are allowed in.

Plus all the staff and clients smoke and leave their butts all over the ground and in our garden beds.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Of the residents - one apartment is a nice couple in their 20s - an artist and a pyscologist. Never have any problems with them and they are like me in wanting to improve the place and make sure our investment is appreciating in value and not becoming run down.

On the one side of me is a single guy who I never see or hear. He is the dream neighbour ! I think I have met him in the car park 3 times in 2 years !!

On the other side of me is the neighbour I long to kill.

How do I explain him ? If he was a blonde female he would be called a bimbo. But he isnt a blonde female so I dont know what to call him (well actually I call him d***head but thats another story).
He lives in a little world of his own - where he is the only occupant.
He has no respect for his neighbours. We all work standard 9-5 hours. He appears to operate under midnight to dawn hours. His friends arrive for coffee at 2am. He plays (or rather - mutilates) a piano at dawn on weekends.

I know of people 3 houses away who complained to the council about the early morning piano noise so its not just me who wants him dead.

I unfortunately share a stairwell with him. So when he leaves or arrives I have to suffer the slamming of the front door and the ground floor door and the stomping up the stairs etc. This is despite the fact that I have told him how loud and amplified it is.

He is off the deluded impression that he is a celebrity - and tells everyone so. The fact that he has a talk back radio show on one of the smallest AM stations in the country 2 days a week from midnight to 5am does NOT make him a celebrity. To the 6 people who actually listen to the show he is simply the annoying voice between songs.

The problem is - no matter how many rude or threatening text messages I send, or notes I leave on his door - he always replies like he is a host of Play School (for the US folk think Mr Rogers and for the poms think someone on Blue Peter) - all cheery and happy and totally not getting that I am threatening to push him down the stairs.

He is so thick that he doesnt get that I really really mean it !

Lately my punishment to him is that I leave my stereo on all day (I figure he sleeps during the day) with the speakers facing right against the wall. I put Meat Loaf on as loud as the stereo goes and leave it on repeat ALL DAY !!

Its such a pain because the couple and the invisible guy are such nice normal people and great to have living in the complex.

My friend who is a witch keeps telling me I cant think bad thoughts about him as it will come back on me. So I have stopped my "I wish he would fall down the steps and break his neck" mantra - and changed it to "I hope he finds an even better place to live and sells up and moves away" !!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/25/06 at 12:19 pm

I don't know 'em. Half of them are a school.

The teachers and students' parents park their cars in front of our house so i can never take out the garbage  >:(

Written By: whistledog on 02/25/06 at 2:21 pm

I hated my neighbours so much, that I moved just to get away from them  :D

Written By: Step-chan on 02/25/06 at 2:22 pm

Don't know, really.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/25/06 at 2:36 pm

My neighbors are pretty cool... my husband gets along well with one guy next door.. his wife is really quiet though, she doesn't talk much.

The neighbors on the other side are nice enough people... but I worry about their little boy.  I see him outside on his tricycle in freezing cold weather wearing nothing but shorts, and the parents are nowhere to be seen.  One of my other neighbors found this little boy down at the corner shopping center unaccompanied... and he's only 3 or 4 years old...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/25/06 at 3:51 pm

I like my new neighbors. I moved from my old neighbors b/c they seriously pissed me off.

Written By: Paul on 02/25/06 at 4:00 pm

Not too bad, the ones I've got...

I don't really talk to 'em much...(no surprise there!), but they do me no harm...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/26/06 at 11:06 am

I like most of my neighbors... :)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 02/26/06 at 3:07 pm

Hm, not sure. They don't come out of their houses too much.

Written By: Jessica on 02/26/06 at 3:21 pm

I like my neighbors.

The lady that lives to the left of me is really quiet and works all the time. The family that lives on the right is a boisterous Filipino family that we adore. The dad is always giving us stuff because my dad catches fresh fish for him. Or they just come over and party with us when we are having a random bash. The family that lives across the way from us is another example of great neighbors. That's more than I can say for the a**holes that live next door to them. :P

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/26/06 at 4:03 pm

I chose "other" because some of our neighbors are pretty cool, and a few could be better. A good neighbor is usually one that respects other's space, keeps the peace (most the time), and is communicative. Our first year here, we had neighbors who had their boom-boom box on ALL the time while working on their car on or their kids would disrespectful and would litter on our lawn, throwing their banana peels, Ice cream bar papers and drinks onto our lawn and so on. We even had a bunch of crap thrown in our mailbox. It was not really nice. Well, for whatever reason, they seemed to have stopped doing that for now, but hopefully when good weather comes it won't start happening again.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/06 at 4:30 pm

We don't have as many of our old neighbors since some moved to Florida and some stayed.

Written By: Apricot on 02/27/06 at 5:35 pm

Depends what side... the ones on the left are really nice, they just moved in this past August.... the ones accross the street are really distant, so I don't know them, but they're always improving their home, so they recommend good builders and stuff to us.. the ones to our right... they let their dog sh-t on our yard and don't clean it up, they let their dogs out at all hours of the night... their trees shed tons of leaves on our treeless yard, and we have to rake a ton... I hate them.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/27/06 at 6:03 pm

I don't know my neighbors.  We don't speak to each other, and quite honestly........I couldn't care less if that situation changes. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/28/06 at 3:16 am

I like my neighbors, the nearest one is an older elderly lady that loves to tend her yard and garden. She thought I was the new garderner/landscape dude when we first met. Now she always waves and smiles and compliments my family, but she's always trying to talk me into cutting a couple of my trees down that drop leaves & buds in her yard. All the other neighbors in the court are nice, pretty much keep to themselves but will wave and say hi when they walk or drive by which is really all I want in the relationship. nice and casual, not too chummy. The Indian family across the street occasionally has big parties. I see them cooking huge kettles of food in their garage, then the friends and family show, and they break out their instruments and dance and play music. They're nice, but the 19 year old daughter seems to think I'm a counselor and tries to corner me into listening to her boyfriend and parent problems. I'm nice for a moment, then I'm like, "I gotta go finish my yardwork" just to escape  ;D. It's a good neighborhood

Written By: karen on 02/28/06 at 3:40 am

The neighbours on one side are a nice couple in their late 50s/early 60s.  We get on well with them and have been round for supper and they've been round our house for drinks and that at Christmas.  We can chat over the fence to them.

The house on the other side is across a brook from us so I doubt we'd know them that well anyway.  Apart from that the house has been converted into three or four flats which are rented out.  We hardly ever see anybody apart from if they are in the driveway when we are in our front garden.  Could walk past them in the street and not know.  My husband has talked to the landlord a few times and he seems alright.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/28/06 at 3:59 am

Lets see:

To the left: A church.
To the right: An elderly couple with teenage daughter. Don't know much about them...
To the back: Another elderly couple, only met twice.
Over the road: Young family.

When we move in less than 2 weeks:

To the left: Elderly couple (I do have to say they make good neighbours: hardly any noise, no kids etc)
To the right: Some business.
To the back: Soccer field.
Over the road: Not sure.

Written By: Howard on 02/28/06 at 5:26 pm

Most of our neighbors are Chinese. >:(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/28/06 at 9:18 pm

Most of our neighbors are Chinese. >:(

why the meanie face? ???

Written By: lasvegasbill on 03/01/06 at 1:25 am

Most of my neibours are retired or couples with no kids.... It's pretty quiet.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/01/06 at 1:34 am

I did have a stripper live across the street for awhile. At first I wasn't sure what she did, she had a couple of kids and then had many visitors, some looked like pro athletes in very nice rides, and then she moved and the homeowner moved in and told me she was "self employed" I thought perhaps she was a cheerleader or exotic dancer, one or the other. it was the latter.

Written By: Howard on 03/01/06 at 5:00 pm

why the meanie face? ???

Most of our old neighbors moved to Florida or had passed away

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/01/06 at 5:39 pm

I voted "Other". A few years ago, I would have said "Someone should blow them up". In the summer when the windows were open, you could hear them arguing all the time-the "F" word all the time, etc. But then they discovered that they had lead in the paint in their house and they had this crew come in to "get the lead out". They had all their kitchen cabinets replaced as well. Since that time, they have become...um...human. In fact, sometimes when they plow their driveway, they come over and see if we want ours plowed, too. We haven't heard the "F" word in years nor have we heard the fighting.

Cat

Written By: barefootrobin on 03/01/06 at 5:41 pm

We only have one neighbor, to the left, they are awesome, they put up with our loud yard paries till 5 in the morning and never complain.  Usually they join us.

Written By: KKay on 03/02/06 at 1:55 pm

I really like the people on our right; a mail man and his wife and kids...but his kids are strange and lonely.
The girl is angry and always has a kool-aid stain on her upper lip.  She's like Dawn in Welcome to the Dollhouse.
The son is Little Pete and he's trying to fit in somewhere. I think he's emmbarrassed of his family.  we call him "Fatty Potter".

Written By: Howard on 03/02/06 at 3:20 pm

We have Spanish neighbors when they have special occassion parties,They party till 12-1am and that's very disruptive.We've learned to deal with it.

Check for new replies or respond here...