inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Some Covers of your favorite songs...

Written By: ADH13 on 02/28/06 at 2:18 am

Just going from the recent "So what are you favorite songs" thread, plus the ones I already knew, I thought some of you might be interested in a few of these...

Ktelqueen: I Love You (originally Climax Blues Band) was covered in 2002 by Nine Days.

CF: Everything I Own (originally Bread) was covered not only by Culture Club... but also by N'Sync

Quirk: Cool Change (originally Little River Band) was covered by Birtles Shorrock Goble.  There is some info in the reviews of the CD that imply that Birtles Shorrock Goble are the "real" Little River Band... and that due to some dispute, a tribute band running around using the name "Little River Band" is the one everyone knows...

Fuss: I Saw The Light (originally Todd Rundgren) was covered by the New Seekers and Reggae Disco Rockers.

DonnieDarko: Take On Me (originally A-HA) was covered (and destroyed) by Cap'n Jazz.. and also by MXPX.

Tam: Rio (Duran Duran) was covered by Goldfinger

Philip: Orinoco Flow was covered by a Phil Coulter... I think.. but it sounds alot like Enya from the sample I heard...

Badfinger: Rocket Man (Elton John) was covered by Me First & The Gimme Gimme's

Whistle: He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother was covered (and reggae-ized) by Sanchez.

most of these samples can be found on cduniverse if you're interested... :)

Subject: Re: Some Covers of your favorite songs...

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/06 at 2:21 am

Badfinger: Rocket Man (Elton John) was covered by Me First & The Gimme Gimme's

Kate Bush also successfully covered it in 1991 on the tribute CD "Two Rooms: Celebrating the Songs of Elton John / Bernie Taupin"

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/06 at 2:23 am

Just going from the recent "So what are you favorite songs" thread, plus the ones I already knew, I thought some of you might be interested in a few of these...

Philip: Orinoco Flow was covered by a Phil Coulter... I think.. but it sounds alot like Enya from the sample I heard...

I will listen out for it.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/28/06 at 2:25 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/06 at 2:31 am

Whistle: He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother was covered (and reggae-ized) by Sanchez.

This was also covered by Canadian Idol Season 1 winner Ryan Malcolm.  At the World Idol competition, Ryan sang this, to which Simon Cowell said he ruined a classic song.  Simon is awesome! 8) ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 02/28/06 at 2:33 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/06 at 2:40 am

Was it really bad??  I never watch that show... (even the American one)  The Sanchez one actually wasn't all that bad... I kind of get a kick out of covers that turn classic songs into reggae.

Ryan's version wasn't bad, but he's not really all that great of a singer.  He only had 1 hit, before his record label dropped him

Written By: ADH13 on 02/28/06 at 2:45 am

One of my favorites (How Deep Is Your Love) has a cover by a group or artist called "Take That" but I've yet to hear a clip... it's a german import, and there is no clip. :(

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 02/28/06 at 2:49 am

One of my favorites (How Deep Is Your Love) has a cover by a group or artist called "Take That" but I've yet to hear a clip... it's a german import, and there is no clip. :(

lol... I have Take That's greatest hits at home. Embarrassing but true.

Have a clip: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE67A1DDF4EA97E20D09A3A53C0A77BFE00CD57EC9B3E21455992B63E45910671F208A68BB6E9B677AB7BA7E02CA45A099FC9E452F4D662342DFC93&sql=50:34rb2s8t051a~T

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/06 at 2:52 am

Take That was a british boy band that Robbie Williams was once a member of.  Their version of "How Deep is Your Love" was a #1 hit in the UK.  

Written By: ADH13 on 02/28/06 at 2:55 am

lol... I have Take That's greatest hits at home. Embarrassing but true.

Have a clip: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE67A1DDF4EA97E20D09A3A53C0A77BFE00CD57EC9B3E21455992B63E45910671F208A68BB6E9B677AB7BA7E02CA45A099FC9E452F4D662342DFC93&sql=50:34rb2s8t051a~T

Thanks!!!  I didn't think it came close to the original... but it's not half as bad as I expected it to be... I'm glad to finally hear it though!!

Written By: Paul on 02/28/06 at 6:51 am

CF: Everything I Own (originally Bread) was covered not only by Culture Club... but also by N'Sync

Not quite Culture Club...it was actually their most famous member, Boy George who hit with it...

His version was a direct steal (i.e., 'pop-reggae') of another successful cover by Ken Boothe...

...which Karen doesn't like!

Written By: gemini on 02/28/06 at 8:50 am

This, you've got to see! It's hilarious. William Shatner, not really singing, more like speaking, Rocket Man at the 1978 Science Fiction Awards.  ;D

http://www.cover-vs-original.com/rocket-man.html

Written By: ADH13 on 02/28/06 at 11:08 am

This, you've got to see! It's hilarious. William Shatner, not really singing, more like speaking, Rocket Man at the 1978 Science Fiction Awards.  ;D

http://www.cover-vs-original.com/rocket-man.html

It's not working too well for me on dial up... cuts out every two seconds or so...  I'll check it out again when I get DSL (which should be very soon)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/28/06 at 1:04 pm

His version was a direct steal (i.e., 'pop-reggae') of another successful cover by Ken Boothe...

...which Karen doesn't like!

You're right about that!

Honestly, I haven't heard many song remakes that I've liked... ???

Written By: ADH13 on 02/28/06 at 1:56 pm

You're right about that!

Honestly, I haven't heard many song remakes that I've liked... ???

Me neither... but I like most of UB40's (Can't Help Falling In Love, Here I Am (Come And Take Me) and Red Red Wine better than the originals...

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/06 at 2:14 pm

One of my favourite cover songs of the 80's is It's Late by Shakin' Stevens.  The original was by Rick Nelson

Another real good one was the 1986 song Runaway by Luis Cardenas, a great rock version of the Del Shannon classic 8)

Written By: Paul on 02/28/06 at 3:59 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/06 at 4:13 pm

And to bring things full circle, Del did a pretty good job on covering The Beatles' 'From Me To You' back in 1963, when he was on tour with the group with the UK...

Not the first Beatles cover by any means, but certainly the first Beatles song to chart in the US...

and speaking of Del, he also did a great 1981 cover of Phil Philips "Sea of Love", which Robert Plant also successfully did in 1984 with The Honeydrippers

Written By: gemini on 02/28/06 at 4:51 pm

It's not working too well for me on dial up... cuts out every two seconds or so...  I'll check it out again when I get DSL (which should be very soon)

Try to when you can. It's pretty funny stuff!  :) And the thing is, I was trying to figure out if he was being serious or not, and I really think he was  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...