inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's Your Workplace like?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/28/06 at 3:43 pm

Is it fun, goofy, straightlaced, loose?

Any funny stories about people you've had to work with or customers you've had to deal with?

Subject: Re: What's Your Workplace like?

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/06 at 4:41 pm

The place I used to work was great.  It was a shift job in a Government office.  Since the place was pretty much dead at nights, we could do our work, and shoot the breeze at the same time.

One guy that worked with us took it a step to far, and goofed off so much, that it effected is work, creeped out other employees, and he eventually got fired ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/28/06 at 4:43 pm

Au Bon Pain can get very busy,sloppy and messy in one day.I'm glad I'm there to help with the maintainence around the place.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/28/06 at 10:06 pm

my workplace is my home, since I run my business from my house. So....it's pretty rad, mostly neat...and quite comfy! ;)

Written By: ADH13 on 02/28/06 at 10:08 pm

my workplace is my home, since I run my business from my house. So....it's pretty rad, mostly neat...and quite comfy! ;)

Same here... although I find that since I've been working from home, I have a harder time getting motivated... probably because there is nobody pushing deadlines on me.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/28/06 at 10:10 pm

Same here... although I find that since I've been working from home, I have a harder time getting motivated... probably because there is nobody pushing deadlines on me.

yes, that can be a problem sometimes...I have been trying to stay motivated, in order to bring in some extra money, that we really need. ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/28/06 at 10:50 pm

My workplace is huge. from north wing to south wing it's a quarter mile, east/west the same. It's  4 floors high, has a large lake on west side and a smaller lake on east side. It is like a big campus. I'll post a pic soon. We have a couple thousand people working there. By the time I get to work, the parking lots are so full I end up way out in the back forty, no mans land, but it's a nice walk to the building. We have a walking/jogging parcourse that surrounds the perimeter and people are always walking during breaks and lunch. Shopping center right across street with several lunch cafes. We have our own little Peets Coffee kiosk in the main lobby. Peets originated in Berkeley and has several franchises in bay area and a lot of us prefer it over Starbucks. We have a 2 story cafeteria, one of the biggest in the nation, at one time rumored 2nd in size only to pentagon. I'm not sure if true but it's big. There's a general store inside, used to have a health club, but has been shut down. so I've made my point, it's big.  :D work stories to be told at a later time

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 02/28/06 at 11:52 pm

My Workplace is Kick. ASS.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/28/06 at 11:55 pm

My Workplace is Kick. ASS.

haha have you seen your one-eyed friend lately?

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 02/28/06 at 11:55 pm

haha have you seen your one-eyed friend lately?

Omg! Actually, he came in again and hit on me... so Jay kicked him out.  ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 02/28/06 at 11:57 pm

Omg! Actually, he came in again and hit on me... so Jay kicked him out.  ;D

LMAO!!! OMG that must have been hilarious!!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/01/06 at 12:01 am

I'm currently a bum student who doesn't (but should) work.

Written By: rich1981 on 03/01/06 at 12:07 am

I don't know what my new workplace is yet but I remember my old one being laid back, quiet and casual. It was situated on the fourth floor and on a different floor from my supervisor. It also had a gym which was great since I used it almost every day. My office was shared with another employee but he hardly ever came in, in fact only four days out of the year and a half I've been working there and usually he would only be there for less than ten minutes so it was just about as good as a private office. The only drawback was the phone: It was loud and scared the hell out of me everytime it rung, and worst of all I couldn't change the volume or mute the thing for some reason.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/01/06 at 12:56 am

My workplace has no dress code, I mean you can wear just about whatever you want and i like that a lot in the summer, wearing shorts and tennis shoes to an office. good stuff

Written By: ADH13 on 03/01/06 at 1:04 am

I loved my old job... the work part of it, anyway... but things were too political toward the end, which is one of the main reasons I left... the management changed, and then it was all about who was the best asskisser and who was friends with the right people... how good of a job you did or how much seniority you had meant absolutely nothing... that was when I realized i had no future there... because an asskisser is one thing i am not..

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/01/06 at 2:13 am

Great stuff everybody!

My first workplace was working with a remodeler at the time. He taught us a lot and we had a lot of fun on the job. My co-worker, Chris, was a riot and I miss him a lot (I am still in contact with him, but he's a busy guy!)

My current job is so-so work, but the atmosphere is very encouraging and I enjoy my co-workers a lot. Several of us have gotten real close, almost like a family.

I have some stories to tell later on..

Written By: karen on 03/01/06 at 3:32 am

Working at a university means things are generally laid back most of the time.  I work in a research area, have my own office and work with some pretty good people.  It's a campus based university so there is some open spaces around, gym facilities, swimming pool etc available for a smallish fee.

Written By: Gis on 03/01/06 at 4:24 am

Pretty cool. I also work for a university at their library. I actually work underground which is kind of weird. I miss natural light and it's freaky to come out and find there has been 6 inches of snow or you are in the middle of a major thunder storm ! We get to wear casual clothes too so I'm mostly in jeans or combats. One night a week I get let loose in one of the reading rooms among the students etc.........

Written By: karen on 03/01/06 at 4:43 am

Pretty cool. I also work for a university at their library. I actually work underground which is kind of weird. I miss natural light and it's freaky to come out and find there has been 6 inches of snow or you are in the middle of a major thunder storm ! We get to wear casual clothes too so I'm mostly in jeans or combats. One night a week I get let loose in one of the reading rooms among the students etc.........

My office is also partly underground in that the building is set into the side of the hill.  None of the offices on my level get any natural light, a point of much complaint!

Written By: danootaandme on 03/01/06 at 7:12 am

My office is also partly underground in that the building is set into the side of the hill.  None of the offices on my level get any natural light, a point of much complaint!

I, on the other hand, work outside, and there have been some 10 degree days, and some 80 degree days that almost made me cry with grief and ask god what I had done so wrong in my life that I should come to this.  Then there are some 60 and 70 degree sunny days, with just a hint of a breeze that made me just love not being in an office.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/02/06 at 1:39 am

Here's a pic from my workplace, I'm standing in a clear plexiglass corridor that goes over a rose garden area. This is the west lake, there are fish in it, other occupants include several species of ducks, Canadian geese, a couple of white swans. The structure on the left is the cafeteria. The West wing on the right is one of 4 wings.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/bishopranch.jpg
and to the East is our local mountain Mount Diablo http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/bishopranch2.jpg

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/02/06 at 1:45 am

I teach in an elementary school...so it can be various things all at once.

Written By: KKay on 03/02/06 at 11:02 am

Im on the 4th floor of a large warehouse like building on the edge of New York harbor. we have glass all around- the view is from the hills of Staten Island to the ferry to the Statue of Liberty, brooklyn, to the Verrazano Bridge.
it's a bunch of cubicles, but they are large.  MNore than half of them are empty (slow season). I work at the front desk area. 
It's a great office.

Written By: barefootrobin on 03/02/06 at 11:27 am

My workplace is pretty laid back, too laid back.  Lots of swearing, all men, I wear jeans, the only nice area in the building is my office.  Otherwise it's pretty much warehouse.  I burn scented candles and have lots of plants.  We always have beer in our fridge.  And not because it doesn't get drunk.  I supervise Service Technicians and run the service department for a large flooring company.  Actually I just hear my boss burp and he's in the warehouse.  It's kinda gross but I LOVE it!  I sold flooring and did interior design for these folks for years and they thought I was insane when I announced my intentions to take this position.  But I am much happier.  And the money is KICKIN.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/02/06 at 7:07 pm

Here's a pic from my workplace, I'm standing in a clear plexiglass corridor that goes over a rose garden area. This is the west lake, there are fish in it, other occupants include several species of ducks, Canadian geese, a couple of white swans. The structure on the left is the cafeteria. The West wing on the right is one of 4 wings.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/bishopranch.jpg
and to the East is our local mountain Mount Diablo http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/bishopranch2.jpg

That landscape looks pretty familiar. I ought to get some pics of my work building, too.

Here's a generic view from the company website

http://www.knightridder.com/images/papers/profiles/nwp_prcontra1.jpg

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/02/06 at 7:10 pm

That landscape looks pretty familiar. I ought to get some pics of my work building, too.

Here's a generic view from the company website

http://www.knightridder.com/images/papers/profiles/nwp_prcontra1.jpg
and you're usually seeing the mountain from another angle, you're workplace looks like it could be out here at BishopRanch

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/07/06 at 11:00 am

I'd been working the midnight-to-8 shift for the last 5 months and hated it. I hated trying to sleep during the day, and the people on that shift were really "cliquey" and never really accepted me. The other day I finally got off that shift and started working 4-to-midnights, and it's 100 times better. Everyone on this shift is way cool, they've all been really friendly and have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome, and the workload is much easier. (Plus, I can actually sleep at night as nature intended.) I'm probably the happiest I've been since I moved down here.

Written By: KKay on 03/07/06 at 11:06 am

This is the view a few blocks away...I don't have pix from this office.
http://usera.imagecave.com/kgilmartin/wtrade-copy.jpg
Of course, this is pre-9/11.
But a great view nonetheless. We're pretty sentimental about our view.

Written By: karen on 03/07/06 at 11:13 am

You can view several sites around my work place here

Written By: imadick on 04/05/06 at 7:33 am

I work in a school as a Computer Instructor,
  And i usually most of the time spend my time in the Computer Lab,
Otherwise around 30% of my time i spend in the staff room,
And The computer Lab is quite calm, when there are no students in there.
  Otherwise everything is just perfect :) got beautiful and good co-workers,
and just so that you all may know i am the only male in the Teaching staff in that school,
Otherwise theres this guy whos around 45 maybe, in the clerical section.
    :D ;D ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...