inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A question for Canada

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/01/06 at 12:37 am

Since I notice that we have a number of folks from above the boarder, I figure this is one of the best places to ask this question. It's not meant to be political and couldv'e been asked at any other decade. Anyway..

For those Canadians who have travelled to the states, is there any noticable difference or is it like being in a totally different world? Do the cities, highways, shopping centers, ect seem familiar or different? Is the same music played over the radio, and how do you percieve the average American when you interact with them? Questions like that. Finally, is the mood or atmosphere the same? These questions may sound naive but I've never been to another country, although that trip to Kentucky sure felt like it. I have lived only 90 miles away when I lived in Michigan but I really didn't get to have contact or see anything from Ontario. 

Subject: Re: A question for Canada

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/01/06 at 12:43 am

Sorry I can't help as I'm from that foreign of country of Kentucky as opposed to Canada. ;)

Actually, I just wanted to say that I find this an interesting question and await the responses.

Written By: whistledog on 03/01/06 at 1:59 am

The States doesn't really seem all that different from Canada.  The road signs, and the MPH do take some getting used to though :)

We have alot of the same stores as America, although there are many which we do not have, mostly the restaurants (as far as I know, we do not have:  Sonic, I Hop, Hardees/Carl's Jr, Checkers, Church's, or Bob's Big Boy).  We also have department stores that America does not like Zellers and The Bay.  We also have some restaurants that America doesn't have like Swiss Chalet and Harvey's.  Plus, our A&W Restaurants are not associated with the America ones, therefore ours have a different menu (ie: You can't get a Whistle Dog at an American A&W Restaurant)

Music wise, we always get more than America.  Since alot of what we get is based on American Media, we get the Billboard Charts, as well as our own Canadian charts.  Also, International hits from the UK, Australia, and elsewhere overseas have always been known to perform better in Canada than America, although I never really understood why. 

For example, some 80's groups that only had 1 top 40 hit in America (ie: Johnny Hates Jazz, Big Country, T'Pau ...) had other top 40 hits in our charts. 

We also got international 80's artists in our top 40 charts that missed out on Billboard completely (ie: Midge Ure, China Crisis, The Drivers, John Farnham, The Flying Pickets, Bruce Woolley and the Camera Club, MC Miker G & Deejay Sven, Tim Finn, Ottawan ...). 

And last but not least, many international artists that reached Billboard, but failed to crack the top 40, reached the Canadian Top 40 (ie: Feargal Sharkey, Ultravox, Split Enz, The Boomtown Rats, The Flying Lizards, XTC, Split Enz, Bronski Beat, Amazulu, Stewart and Gaskin, Doctor and the Medics, Rockpile ...)

Whenever I visit America, nobody even recognizes me as being Canadian because I don't have the accent.  I like being Canadian, but I wouldn't want the thick accent, eh? ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 03/01/06 at 2:23 am

From what whistle is saying, it sounds like there are more differences between New York and California than there are between Canada and the US (depending on where in the US and where in Canada, I'm sure).. Here are some major differences you might find interesting... and I'd be interested to know where those in the middle stand on these things... since I've only ever lived in NY and CA...

Terminology:  What we call a purse in CA is called a pocketbook in NY
                    "Coffee regular" means with sugar & milk in NY... in CA, it would be assumed to
                    mean black...
                    What we call a freeway in CA is called a parkway in NY

Food:          We have taquerias everywhere in CA... for every taqueria we have here, there
                  would be a pizzeria or italian deli in NY

In NY there were all kinds of trucks that came around with hot pizza by the slice,
                  ice cream, produce, etc...(plus knife sharpening, and even kiddie rides) just like
                  an ice cream man...  In CA you only get the occasional ice cream truck

Culture/habit stuff:  In NY people do whatever they can (take the subway, bus or ferry) to avoid driving.  It is totally normal to see businessmen in suits and ties on the bus or even walking down streets.  In San Jose, usually only non-english speakers, lower class people, school age kids and the elderly take the bus.  The businessmen are all in their BMW's or Mercedes.

In NY if you are at a casual restaurant (like a fast food place or a diner-type place) and it is crowded, it isn't uncommon for a complete stranger to join you at your table... they don't even ask, they just sit down.  I have never seen anyone do that here.

In NYC (especially Brooklyn and Manhattan) people honk their horns repeatedly whenever they are in traffic.  Usually here in CA people will only honk if you cut them off, or if you're sitting still at a green light.

In NYC you can't turn right on a red light, in CA you can.  Also, in NYC you can't make a U-Turn unless the sign says "U-Turn OK".  In CA, you can make one unless the sign says "No U-Turn"

Of course, these things are based on when I lived in NYC (1972-1984) and I don't know about all of California, I am speaking for the San Jose area...

Subject: Re: Oh deeer

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/01/06 at 2:37 am

Thanks for the great reply- that man deserves a Karma point! (although I don't know how to give one yet!)

Sorry to go off topic (again) but to give a karma point, click the little "applaud" link that appears under a person's karma rating. You should see it on the left if you scroll to whistledog's post.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/01/06 at 3:11 am

From what whistle is saying, it sounds like there are more differences between New York and California than there are between Canada and the US (depending on where in the US and where in Canada, I'm sure).. Here are some major differences you might find interesting... and I'd be interested to know where those in the middle stand on these things... since I've only ever lived in NY and CA...

mean black...

Food:           We have taquerias everywhere in CA... for every taqueria we have here, there

In NY there were all kinds of trucks that came around with hot pizza by the slice,
                   ice cream, produce, etc...(plus knife sharpening, and even kiddie rides) just like

Culture/habit stuff:  In NY people do whatever they can (take the subway, bus or ferry) to avoid driving.  It is totally normal to see businessmen in suits and ties on the bus or even walking down streets.   In San Jose, usually only non-english speakers, lower class people, school age kids and the elderly take the bus.  The businessmen are all in their BMW's or Mercedes.

In NY if you are at a casual restaurant (like a fast food place or a diner-type place) and it is crowded, it isn't uncommon for a complete stranger to join you at your table... they don't even ask, they just sit down.  I have never seen anyone do that here.

In NYC (especially Brooklyn and Manhattan) people honk their horns repeatedly whenever they are in traffic.   Usually here in CA people will only honk if you cut them off, or if you're sitting still at a green light.

In NYC you can't turn right on a red light, in CA you can.  Also, in NYC you can't make a U-Turn unless the sign says "U-Turn OK".  In CA, you can make one unless the sign says "No U-Turn"

Of course, these things are based on when I lived in NYC (1972-1984) and I don't know about all of California, I am speaking for the San Jose area...

So do you consider yourself a Californian or New Yorker then?

And yeah, I think the Northern United States (that is, everywhere outside of Dixie) is more like Canada than it is like the southern United States. 

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/01/06 at 9:14 am

I've been up to Canada a few times (Winnipeg once in the mid-80's, and Ontario about 3 or 4 times when I was trucking long-distance in the late 90's) and aside from the border crossings (which I thought was a pain in the neck, I can only imagine what it's like now after 9/11), I liked it. My impression of Canada was that it wasn't all that different from America, except that it seemed to have a kind of European vibe to it. (Or to paraphrase Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction, "they've got the same sh*t up there that they have down here, it's just a little different.") I found the average Canadian to be a bit more friendly and laid back then the average American, and when I was up there I was a little surprised to find how much easier it was to strike up a conversation with a total stranger than it is down here. I'm not saying that the average American is a jerk or anything, but we do seem to be a bit more "guarded."
  But Echo brings up a very good question. I'm curious too, how Canadians percieve America as a whole. 

Written By: whistledog on 03/01/06 at 12:12 pm

Actually that might translate over here as a Coney Dog. Does it have chili and onions?

We don't have Coney Dogs at our A&W's.  A Whistle Dog is just a hot dog with bacon, relish and cheese :)
Also, at our A&W's, we have what is called "The Burger Family".  The Grandpa Burger has three patties :o

Written By: whistledog on 03/01/06 at 12:16 pm

And don't forget the greatest band of all time - The Bare Naked Ladies!  8)

Yep.  Usually the Canadian artists always have more and bigger success here in Canada than what makes it to America.  Like Glass Tiger, for instance who only had 4 US hits in total, charted 15 of them in Canada.  Other artists like Corey Hart, Bryan Adams, Men Without Hats and SAGA had many other Canadian hits then what charted on Billboard

Written By: ADH13 on 03/01/06 at 12:40 pm

So do you consider yourself a Californian or New Yorker then?

Both! :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/01/06 at 3:04 pm

I've been up to Canada a few times (Winnipeg once in the mid-80's, and Ontario about 3 or 4 times when I was trucking long-distance in the late 90's) and aside from the border crossings (which I thought was a pain in the neck, I can only imagine what it's like now after 9/11), I liked it. My impression of Canada was that it wasn't all that different from America, except that it seemed to have a kind of European vibe to it. (Or to paraphrase Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction, "they've got the same sh*t up there that they have down here, it's just a little different.") I found the average Canadian to be a bit more friendly and laid back then the average American, and when I was up there I was a little surprised to find how much easier it was to strike up a conversation with a total stranger than it is down here. I'm not saying that the average American is a jerk or anything, but we do seem to be a bit more "guarded."
   But Echo brings up a very good question. I'm curious too, how Canadians percieve America as a whole. 

Yeah, the Hockeyland is more quaint.  Just a little different than here.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/01/06 at 10:46 pm

mean black...

Food:           We have taquerias everywhere in CA... for every taqueria we have here, there

Culture/habit stuff:  In NY people do whatever they can (take the subway, bus or ferry) to avoid driving.  It is totally normal to see businessmen in suits and ties on the bus or even walking down streets.   In San Jose, usually only non-english speakers, lower class people, school age kids and the elderly take the bus.  The businessmen are all in their BMW's or Mercedes.

In NYC (especially Brooklyn and Manhattan) people honk their horns repeatedly whenever they are in traffic.   Usually here in CA people will only honk if you cut them off, or if you're sitting still at a green light.

Unfortunatly I live in a town of about 3500, so trying to answer those questions would be like trying to compare Mayberry to NY or LA or even Chicago

Written By: whistledog on 03/01/06 at 10:54 pm

Here's an excerpt from a popular I AM CANDIAN commercial ...

Hey,
I'm not a lumberjack, or a Furtrader,
and I don't live in an igloo,
or eat blubber
or own a dogsled.
And I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really, really nice.

I have a prime minister... not a president,
I speak English and French, not American
and I pronounce it About, not A-boot.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack,
I believe in peacekeeping, not policing,
diversity not assimilation,
and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.

A toque is a hat,
a chesterfield is a couch,
and it IS pronounced Zed,
not Zee... ZED!!
Canada is the 2nd largest land mass,
the 1st nation of hockey,
and the best part of North America.

My name is Joe...
and...I......AM......CANADIAN!

Thank you.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/01/06 at 11:08 pm

No one really cares about Canada because it's so close to US, most foreigners can't even tell the two apart. How many Canadian actors are mistaken for Americans (er, almost all). Whereas Australia, though smaller, gets far more recognition...

Subject: Zed

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/06/06 at 11:46 pm

[quote author=whis

Subject: Re: Zed

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/06/06 at 11:54 pm

Ok, this has bugged the heck out of me since you first posted it-

What the heck is a ZED !?  :D

This thing is a zed: Z

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/07/06 at 10:51 am

OK, this brings up a two-part question:

1.) Do they show Sesame Street in Canada?

2.) Whenever an episode of Sesame Street is brought to you by the letter "Z," do they have to overdub that episode to change all the "zee's" into "zed's" so as not to offend Canadians?

(I knew nothing of the "zed" thing until I heard Red Green talking about it.)

Written By: karen on 03/07/06 at 10:59 am

In the UK it is also called a zed and when they show Sesame Street they do not overdub the Zee to a zed.  >:(

I've also noticed that thanks to Sesame Street the alphabet is now sung to a different tune (i.e. twinkle twinkle).  This results in the little ones that I know thinking that lmnop is one letter!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 11:19 am

Aboot, eh, ummm, yeah you no?

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/07/06 at 2:48 pm

Well, ya learn learn something every day!  :)

Written By: whistledog on 03/07/06 at 2:56 pm

OK, this brings up a two-part question:

1.) Do they show Sesame Street in Canada?

2.) Whenever an episode of Sesame Street is brought to you by the letter "Z," do they have to overdub that episode to change all the "zee's" into "zed's" so as not to offend Canadians?

(I knew nothing of the "zed" thing until I heard Red Green talking about it.)

We get Sesame Street yes and they don't overdub the Zee to Zed.  We used to have our own version called Canadian Sesame Street, but it later was changed to Sesame Park.  It feaured a polar bear named Basil, a beaver named Beau and a french Canadian otter named Louis (pronounced Louie) ;D

Written By: barefootrobin on 03/07/06 at 4:58 pm

I've worked for Americans, I find them more race conscious, they wear their shoes in the house, and they come across less educated than they really are.

The Americans I have met travelling:  They smoke everywhere, even around their kids!  I have witnessed many being rude and arrogant to the "locals" or to staff waiting on them. 

I have noticed that a lot of the americans I have met think Canada is a really horrible place to live.

Of course these are just observations to date and in no way shape or form reflect a permanent judgement...... Yada Yada Blah Blah..

Written By: STAR70 on 03/07/06 at 6:02 pm

I've worked for Americans, I find them more race conscious, they wear their shoes in the house, and they come across less educated than they really are.

The Americans I have met travelling:  They smoke everywhere, even around their kids!  I have witnessed many being rude and arrogant to the "locals" or to staff waiting on them. 

I have noticed that a lot of the americans I have met think Canada is a really horrible place to live.

Of course these are just observations to date and in no way shape or form reflect a permanent judgement...... Yada Yada Blah Blah..

I've partied in Vancouver, I can't get enough of the place!!!!
I would LOVE to have a summer condo there!!! However, Canadian Winter is too brutal for me, a Los Angeles native.

I would LOVE to visit Montreal, the Marittimes-- in Summer, of course!!!!

Written By: Tam on 03/07/06 at 7:48 pm

Well, as a Canadian in Texas - here are my two cents:

When I first moved here, people always asked if we really lived in igloos and whether or not we brought our dogs in at night. Dogs? Oh! They meant the dogs that pull our sleds!!! ;D

Culture is different but not as noticable as some might think. Cdns say "pop" Americans say "soda" although northern Americans say pop as well. Of course the money is different as is the cost of living. It is true that complete strangers can talk to one another in Canada more comfortably than in the US, and my husband is adament that I am too friendly for my own good. I talk to anyone and everyone! LOL

Canada is hardly taught anything about the US in school. We get a brief description of the Constitution, and of course have been taught that Christopher Columbus founded the Continent. It wasn't until I moved here that I found out - US citizens do not vote directly for their President like I was led to believe. The voting process is very similar to Canada and Great Britian with ridings casting their votes. etc...

US is not taught about a famous woman named Laura Secord. She was American and married a Canadian. During the Revolutionary War (?) she overheard the Americans plot to invade Canada through Oswego - and ran to tell her husband who was in the Canadian Army - and the Americans were foiled. Yes, she was a traitor and made some dang fine Chocolate!! (Cdn joke) ;D

Like whistledog said - music is the same yet we get the Cdn sound more than the US.

Being here as long as I have been - I have become climatized. This means that 60 degrees F is cold to me now - but people still say -"you're from Canada - this should be summer weather to you!" OK - so in the summer when it is 120 I should then be either melting or not bothering to walk away from the a/c! lol

Cdns are a bit out of it too though. Friends call and ask if I have tumbleweeds blowing around the yard, if the chicken really does taste different, and if I have been able to find anywhere that makes poutine yet!

It's a shame that since we are connected, we don't know more about each other.

8)

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/07/06 at 9:24 pm

I find them more race conscious -  In general that's true because we deal with these matters on a continual basis. When you have as many people as we do all crammed into one country, from all over, you're constantly bumping into each other. Learning to live with and respect each other is a live long process.

they wear their shoes in the house - Guess they didn't live with my mother!  ;D

They smoke everywhere, even around their kids! - I don't smoke, and it's getting real tough on those who do. The more urban areas are banning it all together in public.

I have witnessed many being rude and arrogant to the "locals" or to staff waiting on them.  - I was one of those staff and can say it's a matter of who you're dealing with. I have the fealing that no matter where you go there will always be nice people and total jerks.

- Actually from what I've seen it seems kinda neat. Granted I've never been there but the websites look nice .  ;D  What I find interesting about places like Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the British Isles is that they're modern English speaking societies with their own styles. Kinda like America in alternate dimensions.

Check for new replies or respond here...