inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your experience with bullying...

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/01/06 at 11:26 pm

I remember starting a similar topic about April last year, but since I see many newbie 'Generation Yers' here, I thought it would be enlightening the revive the thread. My question is, what were you experience with bullying in school? If you were not bullied, or a bully yourself, did you wittness any stories, or hear them from others? I related this story before of a disabled guy (he had no legs), who was bullied mercilessly in school in the 70s  (he lived in the Western suburbs of Sydney). On one occasion, he said that a group of bullies stuffed him into a garbage bin, set alight to it and closed the lid. Lord knows what they planned to do... While thankfully such events are rare, bullying has hardly been eradicated. Could any still in high-school relate their experiences?

Subject: Re: Your experience with bullying...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/02/06 at 1:27 am

I've been out of school for a year now and I will say that I was bullied but not badly by any means. I didnt fit in really well not that it bothered me but I hung out with a small group of guys who didnt really fit in either. The worst I ever got bullied was verbally never anything physical and it wasnt that bad. I've heard of worse but my school was pretty small so you really didnt see much of that thankfully.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/02/06 at 1:30 am

I was never bullied in school and I never bullied anyone either.  I just find the whole thing to be pointless and found much better things to do with my time than get on someone's ass for some lame, completely superficial reason. 

I do know people who bullied/were bullied and to those who did the bullying, I'd chew their asses out in front of whoever was around.  One time I threw chocolate pudding at this girl (all-girls Catholic H.S.; cattiness abounds) who was getting on my friend's case because she was overweight.  I just don't tolerate that crap.  I think that if you're that morally bankrupt that this is something you must do to elevate yourself and fill your time, you're a pathetic human being, and I hope we never cross paths as adults because chances are, you're going to be someone who I would cross the street to avoid. 

/end rant

Written By: audkal on 03/02/06 at 5:25 pm

I only had one incident when I was about 6 and my mom was driving me and my "friend" (who was the same age as me, and btw I never really liked her) to our house, we were both in the backseat but with the middle seat empty.  You know how there is a loose seatbelt for the middle seat, the friend took the seatbelt and just started beating me with it, and laughing at the same time.  I remember the metal part hitting my head mostly.  I cried but tried to ignore her.

A few months later the "friend" was pulling on another girl's pigtails, the other girl went "Ow!"  So I pulled the friend away from the other girl and shoved her against the wall, I'll tell you she looked suprised, lol.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/02/06 at 5:44 pm

I only had one incident when I was about 6 and my mom was driving me and my "friend" (who was the same age as me, and btw I never really liked her) to our house, we were both in the backseat but with the middle seat empty.  You know how there is a loose seatbelt for the middle seat, the friend took the seatbelt and just started beating me with it, and laughing at the same time.  I remember the metal part hitting my head mostly.  I cried but tried to ignore her.

A few months later the "friend" was pulling on another girl's pigtails, the other girl went "Ow!"  So I pulled the friend away from the other girl and shoved her against the wall, I'll tell you she looked suprised, lol.

Revenge may not be right, but you did a good job sticking up for her.  Kudos and karma to you :)

Written By: audkal on 03/02/06 at 9:05 pm

Revenge may not be right, but you did a good job sticking up for her.  Kudos and karma to you :)

LOL, thanks.  Honestly I wouldn't have done it if she wasn't pulling on that girl's pigtails.

Written By: whistledog on 03/02/06 at 9:11 pm

I was bullied big time in school.  What still pisses me off to this day was that when I was in elementary school, I was weak and scared.  Kids would pick on me, and I wouldn't do anything  :\'(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/02/06 at 10:01 pm

I had to deal with jerks in high school as well. Unfortunaly. Someone thought it would be funny, to pour half a bottle of hot sauce, into a bowl of soup while I was busy.

I also had someone show me a knife, and another shove me head first into a brick wall.

Another chased me around the classroom, into a closet.

Then there where the messages, left in my high school year book one year.

I could go on and on, but I won't.

Subject: Bully

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/02/06 at 11:05 pm

For me I've had two periods of bullying. The worst was in the 3\4th grade by a gang while living in a trailer park.

I applaud the new view of bullying being a crime. When I grew up there was the myth that all bully were really just fat insecure kids that would run as soon as you stood up to them. But often it was a pack of kids who singled out the ones who didn't have a gang of their own to protect them. Essentially we were telling future teenagers and adults that it was all right to use assault and extortion.     

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/02/06 at 11:12 pm

I had to deal with jerks in high school as well. Unfortunaly. Someone thought it would be funny, to pour half a bottle of hot sauce, into a bowl of soup while I was busy.

I also had someone show me a knife, and another shove me head first into a brick wall.

eff them Jamie...we love you! :)

Written By: La Roche on 03/02/06 at 11:45 pm

You should have come to school with me, I wouldn't have stood for that.

A good friend of mine used to get picked on a lot. I sorted that out pretty fast the first time I saw it.
Only time anybody ever tried to pick on me was when I was about 12. I never had a problem sticking up for myself. Nobody ever really taught me to, I was just very good at fighting and enjoyed it.

I pretty much did my best to stick up for people. I detest those who exploit weakness in others, so I generally enjoy exploting the weaknesses of those doing it. I.e, their jaws, noses, ribs etc.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/03/06 at 1:35 am

How many of who've been bullied would like to pay back those who bullied you? How would you do it?

I've rarely been 'bullied' as such, but those incidents which could vaguely be called bullying are long forgotten. It's not worth thinking about it to me, as it reflects badly on them. Although I think one should never sit down and watch bullying happen if you can do something. You may feel angry at yourself now, but if you were put in the same situation, I doubt your reaction would be different.

Subject: Re: Bully

Written By: gmann on 03/03/06 at 1:01 pm

I applaud the new view of bullying being a crime. When I grew up there was the myth that all bully were really just fat insecure kids that would run as soon as you stood up to them. But often it was a pack of kids who singled out the ones who didn't have a gang of their own to protect them. Essentially we were telling future teenagers and adults that it was all right to use assault and extortion.     

Bullying was a pain in the you-know-what for me during between grades 3 and 8. I had to put up with *five years* of that crap. It finally stopped in high school., mostly becauee I rarely saw those guys.

I agree with your assertion about bullies ganging up on other kids. It happened to me because I, like many, didn't have any tough friends that could stick up for me. We were all losers in the eyes of the evildoers, so we had to fend for ourselves...which for me meant just grinning and bearing it. That's pure hell. I did occasionally let some bullies know how I really felt about their antics, but it was usually in one-one-one situations where a fight wasn't likely to take place. I didn't have skillz, ya know?    :) What scares me now is that I had revenge fantasies involving them and an AK-47. In that sense, I can understand how some kids would feel they're driven to retaliate with violence. It doesn't make it right, but I can empathize. Thankfully, I had enough sense not to let my anger get the best of me. 

Last year I went to my high school reunion and ran into some of the aforementioned bullies, and was delighted to see they've grown up and toned down the attitude.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/03/06 at 1:51 pm

I was briefly made fun of in 6th grade because I had just moved to California and still had my New York accent...  nothing too serious... there were a few people who got bullied really bad though, and I didn't really see any reason why.  I've since run into a few of the people who were known for bullying, and got some satisfaction out of seeing that none of them appeared to be very happy.

Written By: Howard on 03/03/06 at 2:41 pm

I've been bullied in High School but hardly ever bullied others.

Written By: KKay on 03/03/06 at 2:47 pm

I never had trouble with it...the only incident never became an incident.  some girl started the story that she and her friends were waiting for me after school to beat me up....I knew I wouldn't have a problem.  I walked up and this in my favor.
1. 2 punk rock boys (circa '79...the real thing, not this crap they call punk today)
2. being 5'8" at 15 years old.

and they all lived happily ever after.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/03/06 at 3:08 pm

6th grade. I remember walking home from school one day and finding myself surrounded by 5 girls who wanted to "kick my @$$" for no other reason then the fact that they didn't like me-and that I was weak (meaning not standing up for myself). I was scared sh**less. Some woman who was driving by, saw the situation and stopped and told the girls to lay off. I didn't run home but I walked pretty fast. When I got home, I saw my mother at the door and then I burst into tears. Yes, they did bully me before and after that situation but that was by far the worse.

How many of who've been bullied would like to pay back those who bullied you? How would you do it?

I have often thought about pay backs and how I would love to do it. I would love for them to see my life now-I have a wonderful, loving husband, I don't have to work, and I am basically living the good life (and even taking trips to Puerto Rico now and again  ;) ). I would love to see them green with envy-that is how I would love to get revenge on them.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/03/06 at 3:16 pm

I always got punched in the face,knocked down and got thrown around just because I was minding MY own business. :(

Written By: Step-chan on 03/03/06 at 3:55 pm

I always got punched in the face,knocked down and got thrown around just because I was minding MY own business. :(

That happened to a boy on a school bus, he was minding his own business when 7 kids started beating the living crap out of him. The bus driver didn't even try to stop it(the whole incident was recorded on the bus security camera).

I wasn't bullied much myself(as in I wasn't in fights getting beaten up too often), I was subjected more to verbal insults/teasings/put downs.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/03/06 at 7:19 pm

That sounds horrible....  :(

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/03/06 at 8:11 pm

Yeah that is pretty bad, which neighbourhood did you grow up in?

Written By: audkal on 03/03/06 at 8:41 pm

My brother used to get bullied quite a bit when he was in kindergarten/1st grade by a kid I'll call "Ian".  He was a really bad kid and his parents even threatened to "beat my mom up" because she was obviously fed up with her son being beat up all the time.

Anyway, 10 years later (in 2003), my brother decided to call Ian and ask him to come over.  Ian came, and he was such a nice person!  My brother was very happy that in the end he became a friend.

A lot of times the bullies grow out of it I guess.  It also made me proud that my brother didn't invite him over for revenge, but for friendship.

Written By: Apricot on 03/03/06 at 8:45 pm

I was bullied up until 4th grade.. then I was just despised. In 8th grade, people pretended to like me just to mock me.. then, in 9th grade, everyone but a choice few people who find themself superior to everyone seemed to like me. Now, I have a comfortable position.

It gave me a very bad, anti-social worldview. I never bullied anyone myself.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/03/06 at 8:46 pm

I was bullied up until 4th grade.. then I was just despised. In 8th grade, people pretended to like me just to mock me.. then, in 9th grade, everyone but a choice few people who find themself superior to everyone seemed to like me. Now, I have a comfortable position.

It gave me a very bad, anti-social worldview. I never bullied anyone myself.

That's a shame.  Luckily, I was never bullied, but I do think my weirdness was often exploited by classmates.

Written By: Apricot on 03/03/06 at 8:52 pm

That's a shame.  Luckily, I was never bullied, but I do think my weirdness was often exploited by classmates.

My weirdness was disliked.. now, it's appreciated.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/03/06 at 8:52 pm

My weirdness was disliked.. now, it's appreciated.

Weird is good.  Being normal is boring, all you have to do is not look like a freak too much.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/03/06 at 9:50 pm

I was involved in one incident.  I was walking home with a friend and an older girl came up to me and threatened me.  We walked home through a cemetary and she threatened to bash my f'ing head into a headstone if I walked through there again.  I told my older sister who happened to see her at a party that weekend.  This girl didn't know who my sister was and wanted to be friends with my sister.  My sister told the girl that if she ever tried that with me again she would have to deal with the sis.  Nobody was allowed to pick on me but my big sister. ;)

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/03/06 at 9:53 pm

I never had a problem with bullying, there was some people that I really didn't get along with, but no bullying.

Written By: whistledog on 03/03/06 at 9:55 pm

Man, if I could go back in time and confront all my bullies, I'd probably be in jail for violent assault  ;D

Written By: Mephistopheles on 03/03/06 at 10:37 pm

I used to get bullied a lot during middle school. Thank God those days are over. But they will always be embedded in my memory.
  :\'(

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/04/06 at 2:46 am

I used to get bullied a lot during middle school. Thank God those days are over. But they will always be embedded in my memory.
  :\'(

Yeah me too, 2 to 3 years in senior school I got physically and emotionally bullied by some kids.

Their anger and violence is a product of their own experiences and lousy parenting...or that's how I deal with it.
But the experiences have had a lasting effect.

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/04/06 at 7:45 am

I've been teased, but the only real bullying was in ... first grade? Maybe second... Anyway, these two kids would throw my glasses around and throw wet paper towels at me.. for whole recesses at a time! It wasn't the ideal recess, believe you, me.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/04/06 at 8:21 am

Well, suffice to say my brother's way of resolving a conflict with me was to hit me until I agreed with him  :-\\

Written By: gemini on 03/04/06 at 8:33 am

I didn't really get bullied, but I saw alot of bullying going on. I think back now and wonder what ever happened to the kids that had to come to school day in and day out and put up with being called names and harrassed because maybe they didn't have just the "right" clothes or whatever. Whatever they felt like picking on them for that day, they did. I can't imagine having to get up every morning knowing that when I got to school it was going to be torture. I can see why some kids just can't take it anymore and just give up, but that's not the answer, of course, we all know that, I hope.  :-\\

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/04/06 at 10:53 am

Anyway, 10 years later (in 2003), my brother decided to call Ian and ask him to come over.  Ian came, and he was such a nice person!

Maybe he found religion/some new age cult...

Written By: audkal on 03/04/06 at 6:20 pm

Maybe he found religion/some new age cult...

Who really knows.  Though after he came my dad was mad at my brother for inviting him over (my dad is one of those people that can never really forgive).  He never realized Ian changed, unfortunately.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/04/06 at 6:36 pm

I graduated High School in 1980, before there was any anti-bullying
rules.Just once, in my freshman year, a kid demanded money.I stood
up to him rather than submit and from then on I was left alone.I didn't
stand out in school,I didn't belong to any clicks but I got along with all
the clicks.Thinking back, I just sort of blended in and didn't really get
noticed.Going to High School with Camden kids going un-noticed was
a good thing.

Written By: Howard on 03/06/06 at 6:10 pm

Yeah that is pretty bad, which neighbourhood did you grow up in?

New York

Written By: Morton on 03/06/06 at 6:30 pm

I wasn't bullied as such, but there were times in primary school / early secondary school (ages 7-12) when people would be d*ckheads and say stupid things to annoy me. It mysteriously stopped one day in year 8 when one of the mouthy ones and I got into a fight. We both got into pretty bad trouble for that, but since then nobody's really called me or made fun of me or anything. Funny that  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...