inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did you play sports?

Written By: KKay on 03/03/06 at 8:23 am

This may have been done but...

I wonder who had played high school sports-
which sport?
why that sport?
did you ever win accolades for your performance in that sport?

Subject: Re: Did you play sports?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/03/06 at 8:25 am

nope...I was never the coordinated, sports type...I was more artsy...involved in school musicals/plays, choir, art, etc.

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/06 at 8:28 am

Yeah, I played soccer for 5 years. I've received county honors (basically meaning I'm one of the best in my area).
I picked up a seriously nasty injury to my leg though so I'm working on my Coaching qualifications now.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/03/06 at 8:29 am

My parents made us take at least one extra-curricular, one year I did field hockey.  We scored one goal all season, but it won the one winning game of the season and I got the assist.  :)

Written By: KKay on 03/03/06 at 8:32 am

I guess I could add that I was in gymnastics for several years...until junior year of high school when I was too cool to be part of a team. duh. 

much like our friend Quirk, I did the artsy stuff too....sports is very time-comsuming.
I"m glad I did it, though.

The only drawback now is my hands are still calloused and after a few beers I think I can walk onthe edge of anything. :o

Written By: KKay on 03/03/06 at 8:34 am

My parents made us take at least one extra-curricular, one year I did field hockey.  We scored one goal all season, but it won the one winning game of the season and I got the assist.   :)

Good work!  I can't really wrap my head around how people on the field can see what's going on in sports like that..

Written By: KKay on 03/03/06 at 8:36 am

Yeah, I played soccer for 5 years. I've received county honors (basically meaning I'm one of the best in my area).
I picked up a seriously nasty injury to my leg though so I'm working on my Coaching qualifications now.

I"m impressed...coaching is a good thing.  our team in high school used to help the kids in grammar school. it was really fun and gratifying.
Your being a soccer player explains a lot about you. ::)

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/06 at 8:37 am

I"m impressed...coaching is a good thing.  our team in high school used to help the kids in grammar school. it was really fun and gratifying.
Your being a soccer player explains a lot about you. ::)

It's expensive to get the qualifications though.

There are some things that can't be exaplined though  ;D

Written By: jaytee on 03/03/06 at 8:51 am

I wasn't a bad high jumper and long jumper.  I've got the ribbons to prove it.  I played netball, volleyball and squash.  I gave up netball about three or four years ago.  We won a few grand finals but I got sick of seeing the ambulance arrive every time we played - I started to think "one day I'll be the one needing it" so I decided to leave netball for the younger players!  Now I watch my kids play sport.

Written By: KKay on 03/03/06 at 10:18 am

I wasn't a bad high jumper and long jumper.  I've got the ribbons to prove it.  I played netball, volleyball and squash.  I gave up netball about three or four years ago.  We won a few grand finals but I got sick of seeing the ambulance arrive every time we played - I started to think "one day I'll be the one needing it" so I decided to leave netball for the younger players!  Now I watch my kids play sport.

I know what you mean. I used to be fearless.  I did the unevens for a long time and that can lead to dislocations easily...also just the thought of falling on my head or neck makes me cringe.
what's netball?

Written By: karen on 03/03/06 at 10:25 am

Sport was compulsory at school so I took part in various things, hockey, netball, athletics, swimming, tennis etc.  I was class hockey captain for a while but not quite fast enough to play in the school team.

Now I go orienteering about once a month.  We used to go a lot more but its harder with the children.

what's netball?

A game similar in concept to basketball but played by females.  The net is lower I think.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/03/06 at 10:34 am

I was the first girl to play soccer for my high school. It was the first year we had a soccer team and it was only at the JV level. Since there wasn't a girl's team, I got to play on it along with 2 other girls. I was the first because I had my "physical" and they didn't by the time we played our first game. It was funny when we played our first game, the other team saw me come out and said, "A girl?" They found out my name and started rooting for me.  ;D For the first year, I was very pleased with our record-won 4, lost 4, and tied 1. Split right down the middle. I was also pleased with our coaches-they made sure that everyone who was supposed to play, did so. There were no bench warmers. If there were, I would have been one of them. After soccer season was over, I joined the cheerleading squad-again at the JV level-for basketball.

But, I was mostly into drama, chorus, chior and such.

Cat

Written By: KKay on 03/03/06 at 10:38 am

I was the first girl to play soccer for my high school. It was the first year we had a soccer team and it was only at the JV level.

were, I would have been one of them. After soccer season was over, I joined the cheerleading squad-again at the JV level-for basketball.

But, I was mostly into drama, chorus, chior and such.

Cat

That's a great story.  You are certainly 'extra-curricular girl'!  I am going to tell my lazy nieces and nephews about you.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/03/06 at 11:06 am

That's a great story.  You are certainly 'extra-curricular girl'!  I am going to tell my lazy nieces and nephews about you.

I was also in the French Club for a couple of years.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/03/06 at 11:26 am

I only did what was required in P.E. and that's it...I never cared for sports!

Written By: KKay on 03/03/06 at 11:35 am

I only did what was required in P.E. and that's it...I never cared for sports!

You know, I almost failed PE...I never wanted to participate, but being in gymnastics was different. I guess it was the company-
no wimps, no mean girls trying to hit you in dodgeball...

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/06 at 12:19 pm

A game similar in concept to basketball but played by females.  The net is lower I think.

And whoever has the ball isn't allowed to run around.

It's kind of like Basketball but is far more passing oriented. No dribbling.
Plus obviously you couldn't throw a lay up or anything.

Written By: whistledog on 03/03/06 at 1:03 pm

I haven't played sports sinec I was a little kid, and for several reasons is why I have not ever played again

When I was little, I played T-Ball.  During one game, I took the baseball in the face and started to bleed.  I was like 6 years old so naturally I start weeping, so the coach comes over to me, and says "Tough it out and be a man" >:(

I even tried playing soccer, but I was so afraid of getting kicked in the face, that I hardly ever went for the ball.  The day I took the ball in the cherries, I quit

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/03/06 at 1:10 pm

You know, I almost failed PE...I never wanted to participate, but being in gymnastics was different. I guess it was the company-
no wimps, no mean girls trying to hit you in dodgeball...

I never wanted to participate, either!  ;D

The one I liked best was volleyball (in high school)...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/03/06 at 1:15 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: ADH13 on 03/03/06 at 1:19 pm

I used to do track & field in 9th grade... long jump, high jump, hurdles, shotput, etc... and I played volleyball alot on the weekends with my friends, but was never on an actual team.  After high school, I played softball for awhile with a company team.

Written By: Howard on 03/03/06 at 2:52 pm

I used to play Baseball,Dodgeball,Kickball and Touch Football.

Written By: Paul on 03/03/06 at 2:58 pm

Sport was compulsory when I was a lad...however, it was obvious from the outset that we didn't really 'get on' with one another!

I nearly broke my arm in my first (and only) game of Rugby and the cross-country run (in possibly the worst weather this country's ever known) was the last straw for me...

...after that, I joined-up with the school band (for which you were 'excused' sports!)

Written By: KKay on 03/03/06 at 5:23 pm

I eventually got out of gym class by taking "health' related courses...I had family planning, camp counseling, emergency medical tech, and one more....perhaps social work?

I did well...i ditched gym and the gymnastics team to smoke and drink beer in the woods with the cool kids.

rats.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/03/06 at 6:21 pm

I played soccer for about 2 years, and basketball for about a year. Now I just attempt to skateboard, and I'm slowly getting better.. this Summer I want to get into it more.

Written By: Apricot on 03/03/06 at 6:27 pm

I played when I was a wee bairn... soccer, baseball.. but only for a bit each. I'm not a sports-type, much to my family's chagrin.

Written By: FaultyDog on 03/03/06 at 7:06 pm

I have played soccer when I was younger. My parents stimulated us participating in any kind of sport, and I picked soccer because my older brother played it as well.

It took me ten years to find out I wasn't made for the game. I didn't like the training, I didn't like playing in rain, wind or cold, and I didn't have the skills nor the endurance to make it to a higher level. The only reason I got promoted to a higher ranked team was because of my age. I have never scored a single goal in a competition match (I always managed to stay away from the action).

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/03/06 at 8:13 pm

I loved playing sports when I was young. But they would mainly be in school during P.E. and lunch-time, or casually. I did, however, playing tenpin bowling in a junior league (i know some of you don't consider it a 'real' sport). My average was about 130something when I 'retired' after a couple of years, and my best score 220. At least I got a couple of lane records. Anyone else here an ex-bowler?

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/06 at 10:36 pm

I have played soccer when I was younger. My parents stimulated us participating in any kind of sport, and I picked soccer because my older brother played it as well.

It took me ten years to find out I wasn't made for the game. I didn't like the training, I didn't like playing in rain, wind or cold, and I didn't have the skills nor the endurance to make it to a higher level. The only reason I got promoted to a higher ranked team was because of my age. I have never scored a single goal in a competition match (I always managed to stay away from the action).

;D That's a shame.
Sometimes it just takes that natural spark.

I've always had it when it comes to soccer. I can just pick up a ball and play.
I actually broke two records for my team.
I scored the most goals in one competitive match (6 in one game) and got sent off more times than any other player in one season  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/03/06 at 10:52 pm

I played sports in grade school, but not in high school.  Between the AP classes, the National Honor Society and the French National Honor Society, I didn't have much time to do anything that wasn't school-related.  My classes/homework took up most of my time.  Even if I didn't have that full of a plate, I probably wouldn't have anyway since I only did sports in grade school because I had nothing else to do after the day was done.  I wasn't really into them as a player; I was more a watcher.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/04/06 at 2:35 am

I didn't so much play sports as make a laughable attempt at playing them.  ;D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/14/06 at 4:04 am

I used to play competitive squash and badminton (in divisions/leagues) also love getting the miles in on my mountain bike.
At school I was netball hockey and rounders captain 2 years running as I was appropriately bossy   ;D ;D

Sometimes I'll go out running with Chris too if he goes slower cos' he tends to run at great pace and I can never keep up with him.

Check for new replies or respond here...