inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Slow Night That Lasted 6 Months- Again...

Written By: Apricot on 03/03/06 at 5:48 pm

Okay, I don't know what the f--k happened in the last thread, but I'm dropping it. No more herpes and car sh-t... it sounds like people got pissed about it.

Subject: Re: The Slow Night That Lasted 6 Months- Again...

Written By: danootaandme on 03/03/06 at 5:51 pm

Okay, I don't know what the f--k happened in the last thread, but I'm dropping it. No more herpes and car sh-t... it sounds like people got pissed about it.

Nooooo....rub some antibiotics on everything will clear

Written By: danootaandme on 03/03/06 at 6:00 pm

Oops, oh well, We can start fresh :-*

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/03/06 at 6:03 pm

Oops, oh well, We can start fresh :-*

Don't say that. People will start getting fresh.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/03/06 at 6:04 pm

Applause for getting rid of that mess

Written By: Apricot on 03/03/06 at 6:08 pm

Applause for getting rid of that mess

Ah, why thanks. It irks me when tangents go terribly, terribly wrong... whatever actually happened, anyway?

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/03/06 at 6:11 pm

Ah, why thanks. It irks me when tangents go terribly, terribly wrong... whatever actually happened, anyway?

I'll be fecked if I can figure it out. It started out as the usual harmless (and some downright inane) prattle, but somehow turned into insulting of potential thread policing, followed by hasty declarations of dislike, followed by the tossing about of posters' potentials to have STDs, and then it was just utter chaos.

At least, that's what I recall reading.

Written By: Apricot on 03/03/06 at 6:13 pm

I'll be fecked if I can figure it out. It started out as the usual harmless (and some downright inane) prattle, but somehow turned into insulting of potential thread policing, followed by hasty declarations of dislike, followed by the tossing about of posters' potentials to have STDs, and then it was just utter chaos.

Hmm.. I think I see how it could have gotten offensive to people.

I hate when something as beautiful as a funny tangent causes all Hell to break loose...

Written By: FaultyDog on 03/03/06 at 6:15 pm

... and that's all we have to know. ;)

Written By: Tia on 03/03/06 at 6:19 pm

simple. it was fun while i was there, then i left and it got really horrible and hateful. then i came back and everything was fine again!

joke!

i dunno, the whole issue of instituting more rules for threads just seems to be.... touchy. touchy touchy touchy. i thought the chevy bigblock thing was funny though.

however.

i have a touchy question.

<TOUCHY_QUESTION>if i don't know what people are talking about when they're talking about "the clique," does that mean i'm IN ON the clique? or does that mean i'm totally outside the clique and should forget about ever joining it? or does it mean there really isn't a clique?</TOUCHY_QUESTION>

Written By: Apricot on 03/03/06 at 6:20 pm

<TOUCHY_QUESTION>if i don't know what people are talking about when they're talking about "the clique," does that mean i'm IN ON the clique? or does that mean i'm totally outside the clique and should forget about ever joining it? or does it mean there really isn't a clique?</TOUCHY_QUESTION>

If you don't get the clique's disccusions, you either aren't in the clique or they're citing a joke from before your time.

Written By: Tia on 03/03/06 at 6:24 pm

If you don't get the clique's disccusions, you either aren't in the clique or they're citing a joke from before your time.
but... i wanna be a heather!

Written By: ADH13 on 03/03/06 at 6:49 pm

i dunno, the whole issue of instituting more rules for threads just seems to be.... touchy. touchy touchy touchy. i thought the chevy bigblock thing was funny though.

That was the whole irony of the whole thing... nobody ever suggested more rules or policing threads... it was just about the fact that when threads get way off track and stupid, people lose interest, stop posting in them, and then the board seems dead...  and the board seeming dead was the original complaint of the thread.  Nobody was asking for policing or more rules... ::)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/03/06 at 7:23 pm

That was a wise move. good form on your part. however that thread generated over 260 posts in a mater of days. Ironic

Written By: Tia on 03/03/06 at 7:31 pm

That was the whole irony of the whole thing... nobody ever suggested more rules or policing threads... it was just about the fact that when threads get way off track and stupid, people lose interest, stop posting in them, and then the board seems dead...  and the board seeming dead was the original complaint of the thread.  Nobody was asking for policing or more rules... ::)
hmm, okay, i guess i just don't see it that way, is all. from where i sit, the digressive threads are pretty much this board's lifeblood.

if there comes to be a lot of pressure from people in general to keep threads on topic or coming down on people for posting stuff that's "stupid," it'll amount to much the same thing as if chucky or someone else said from on high, 'thou shalt stay on topic.' people will start feeling all self-conscious and be thinking, gee, am i on topic? am i being pertinent enough? will people like my post, or will they come down on me? and then the end result is the board'll become all stultified. i figure that's probably why some folks like me feel the need to push back on that sorta stuff when people say it -- i don't think it's true and i think it'll actually ruin the boards if a bunch of people adopt that philosophy. i'd rather keep things freewheeling and take the good with the bad -- i'm not a big fan of hearing certain details of certain people's private anatomies and acts of physical intimacy (and i don't have anyone in particular when i say this :) ) but i put up with it, cuz i think a lot of the great threads/posts on this board come out of the off-the-wall stuff. if that causes some people to lose interest, i frankly am not pressed. i think it would attract people, too, and i think it'll attract people i personally will find more interesting than the people it scares away.

that said, all the nasty talk on the other thread was probably going too far.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/03/06 at 8:23 pm

that said, all the nasty talk on the other thread was probably going too far.
Perhaps. But to be honest, I really don't see what the big deal was. It all started when a certain newer poster, who shall remain nameless, came in and made a rather condescending statement about not knowing what the thread was about, as if we were all a bunch of idiots or something--when the whole point of the thread was that it had no topic. This individual then later revealed herself to be completely lacking in any sense of irony whatsoever, and proceeded to be a total c*nt about the whole thing. I make no apologies for my actions last night, and I don't think anyone else should have to either.

Written By: Tia on 03/03/06 at 8:30 pm

well, that's actually not what i was referring to so much. that might have been going a bit far too, but it was actually pretty damn funny. "i want you to know that the next thing i'm going to say isn't about you in any way, shape, form, or smell...." if you can't get with being accused of having herpes on this board, i just dunno...

i meant more the whole "you're a bad person and you suck" bit. i don't know in what spirit that was posted and i don't know if there's some backstory there i'm ignorant of -- i rather think it was a joke -- but if it was serious i would sure hate to have something that blanket hurtful directed against me.

that's why i'm so anxious. and hearing things.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/03/06 at 8:31 pm

Perhaps. But to be honest, I really don't see what the big deal was. It all started when a certain newer poster, who shall remain nameless, came in and made a rather condescending statement about not knowing what the thread was about, as if we were all a bunch of idiots or something--when the whole point of the thread was that it had no topic. This individual then later revealed herself to be completely lacking in any sense of irony whatsoever, and proceeded to be a total c*nt about the whole thing. I make no apologies for my actions last night, and I don't think anyone else should have to either.

Don Corleone: Never let anyone outside the family know what you're thinking.

Written By: Apricot on 03/03/06 at 8:32 pm

I make no apologies for my actions last night, and I don't think anyone else should have to either.

Well, based on what I heard about it, you aren't really the one who owes an apology.. other offensive things were said.

Either way, I locked it so we wouldn't have to dwell on it.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/03/06 at 8:58 pm

Well, based on what I heard about it, you aren't really the one who owes an apology.. other offensive things were said.

Yeah, I understand. Every now and then it can be hard to figure out someone's true intent--whether they're joking or not. If nothing else, perhaps some of you may have learned a thing or two about the subtle differences in V-8 engines manufactured by the Chevrolet division of General Motors.  ;)

As turned out, it was a good thing that I forced myself to tear myself away from my computer when I did. I made myself venture out and I wound up having one of the best nights out since I moved down here.    :) :) :)

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/06 at 10:39 pm

:P spoilsport.

Written By: Apricot on 03/04/06 at 11:42 am

:P spoilsport.

Meh, just seemed to be getting out of hand.

Written By: La Roche on 03/04/06 at 2:35 pm

HEIL MINE KOMMANDANT!

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/04/06 at 2:54 pm

HEIL MINE KOMMANDANT!
UND ZEN MEYBE VE KOME BECK TOMORROW, UND VE CUT OFF YOUR CHONSON!!!

Written By: Apricot on 03/04/06 at 2:55 pm

HEIL MINE KOMMANDANT!

You crazy kids with your "kommandants" and your Rock-Em-Sock-Em Robots and your 90210....

Written By: KKay on 03/04/06 at 3:13 pm

I read the whole thing, almost. I really couldn't find anything said that would offend ME, but I can see hwo someone else would be annoyed. I guess it was a good idea to lock it.
but look....you cut off its tail and it's growing back.

makes no difference cuz no matter where we go, there we are.

Written By: La Roche on 03/04/06 at 3:32 pm

UND ZEN MEYBE VE KOME BECK TOMORROW, UND VE CUT OFF YOUR CHONSON!!!

No Al, my herepes went away.

Written By: Tia on 03/04/06 at 4:13 pm

No Al, my herepes went away.
it might flare up again, though. better to be on the safe side.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/04/06 at 6:52 pm

I stand by what I said. I do apologize for HOW I said it, though.

Written By: La Roche on 03/04/06 at 10:17 pm

I stand by what I said. I do apologize for HOW I said it, though.

Never apologise.

Written By: Tia on 03/05/06 at 12:54 am

Never apologise.
sorry. :-[

Check for new replies or respond here...