inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: mp3 players

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/07/06 at 1:55 pm

I just got my tax refund back, and I'm thinking about getting an mp3 player. For those of you who have one, I was wondering: What brand would you recommend, and what features should I look for?

Subject: Re: mp3 players

Written By: ADH13 on 03/07/06 at 1:59 pm

I really don't know anything about portable mp3 players... but let me know when you get it so I can send you a bunch of Engelbert Humperdinck mp3's! :D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 1:59 pm

Unless you're really tech-savvy, I wouldn't get an iPod ... they're so hard to use.

Written By: Apricot on 03/07/06 at 2:03 pm

Depends what you want:

Play Pirated Music, CD Music, Etc.: Dell DJ
Play CD Music, Fancy Non-Music Related Sh-t: iPod

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 2:04 pm

If you want great music:

www.soundclick.com/posseoftwo  ;D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/07/06 at 2:10 pm

Depends what you want:

Play Pirated Music, CD Music, Etc.: Dell DJ
Play CD Music, Fancy Non-Music Related Sh-t: iPod
Yeah, I don't need any fancy bells and whistles or anything, just something I can transfer my CD collection and some other files onto. I also want something that is relatively simple to use.
I really don't know anything about portable mp3 players... but let me know when you get it so I can send you a bunch of Engelbert Humperdinck mp3's! :D
*smack* upside the head
If you want great music:

www.soundclick.com/posseoftwo  ;D
Another *smack* upside the head for the shameless plug.

I'll check it out sometime.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 2:12 pm

Sorry, I couldn't resist! I was trying to give you a hard time. No pressure :)  ;D

Yeah, I wouldn't get an iPod, but I would get something in the $80 range or so if you want to transfer a lot of songs. 

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/07/06 at 2:14 pm

Sorry, I couldn't resist! I was trying to give you a hard time. No pressure :)  ;D

Yeah, I wouldn't get an iPod, but I would get something in the $80 range or so if you want to transfer a lot of songs. 
$80? That's all, huh. How many songs do you think I could get on the average player in that price range?

(Besides, as much sh*t as I give you, you're well within your right to take a few shots back at me... ::))

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 2:14 pm

$80? That's all, huh. How many songs do you think I could get on the average player in that price range?

Well, maybe like $80-$120.  At that range, you could probably store about 260 songs.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/07/06 at 2:17 pm

Well, maybe like $80-$120.  At that range, you could probably store about 260 songs.
Yeah, that'd probably suit my needs just fine. Thanks. :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 2:18 pm

Yeah, that'd probably suit my needs just fine. Thanks. :)

In Misuran:

Yer welcum :)

Written By: whistledog on 03/07/06 at 2:20 pm

Whatever you do, don't go for the less expensive mp3 players .. they are pieces of crap.  Years ago, I paid some $60 for one called the Baby Yepp explorer.  It holds a maximum of only 16 songs, and the battery life only lasts about 1 hour (those expensive watch batteries) :\'(

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/07/06 at 2:21 pm

Unless you're really tech-savvy, I wouldn't get an iPod ... they're so hard to use.

I have to disagree with you...

I have an iPod and it's a piece of cake to use!  8)

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/07/06 at 2:21 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 03/07/06 at 2:24 pm

Yeah, I definitely don't want to get any P.O.S. mp3 player. Any other brands I should steer slear of?

Pretty much anything that costs less than $80, which is usually the brand names that nobody has heard of before ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/07/06 at 4:09 pm

Man oh man...

I love my new Zen Vision: m by Creative. It's kind of expensive ($300-330), but you can play videos and photos, has good battery life, and has a lot of nice features (Voice record, FM Radio record), and I've shown it to many people at school, and I'm slowly turning society against the iPod!! >: - D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/08/06 at 5:17 pm

Man oh man...

I love my new Zen Vision: m by Creative. It's kind of expensive ($300-330), but you can play videos and photos, has good battery life, and has a lot of nice features (Voice record, FM Radio record), and I've shown it to many people at school, and I'm slowly turning society against the iPod!! >: - D
So, armed with all your advice, I went to Best Buy today with the intent on buying an mp3 player, and the people in that section of the store totally blew it. I was already pissed at Best Buy because they shut down the store that was just down the street from me and moved clear across town, but I still went there because for some reason I've never liked Circuit City.
    They had some iPods there and it seemed really easy to use but there were other players there that had more memory for less money. I was particularly interested in the Creative Zen Vision that DomEl mentioned, and they had one for about $250 that could store 1000 songs but the display model wasn't working. The clerks in that section said they'd send out a tech geek to try and get it working but, after standing around waiting for 15 minutes I said the hell with it and went to look at digital cameras instead, which is also something I've been wanting for quite some time. The guy in the digital camera section was really helpful and friendly and I wound up shelling out $400 (my entire state tax refund) for a new Canon and several accessories.
   I'll probably go back in a few weeks when I get my federal refund back, but the whole experience with the clerks in the mp3 player section kind of irritated me.

Written By: jaytee on 03/08/06 at 5:21 pm

I have to disagree with you...

I have an iPod and it's a piece of cake to use!  8)

I agree with Karen.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/08/06 at 5:23 pm

^^What a shame.  Nerdz suk  ;D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/08/06 at 5:26 pm

^^What a shame.  Nerdz suk  ;D
I have no problem with nerds. Hell, I'm one myself. It's just that the clerks in that section didn't really seem to give a damn.

Like I said, I still walked out of there with a nice new digital camera and once I get it up and running I'll post some new pictures of my goofy-looking mug.  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/08/06 at 5:46 pm

Hahaha  ;D

No, I'm just kidding.  I'm actually quite a nerd/geek/dork myself.  :D

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/08/06 at 5:59 pm

So, armed with all your advice, I went to Best Buy today with the intent on buying an mp3 player, and the people in that section of the store totally blew it. I was already pissed at Best Buy because they shut down the store that was just down the street from me and moved clear across town, but I still went there because for some reason I've never liked Circuit City.
    They had some iPods there and it seemed really easy to use but there were other players there that had more memory for less money. I was particularly interested in the Creative Zen Vision that DomEl mentioned, and they had one for about $250 that could store 1000 songs but the display model wasn't working. The clerks in that section said they'd send out a tech geek to try and get it working but, after standing around waiting for 15 minutes I said the hell with it and went to look at digital cameras instead, which is also something I've been wanting for quite some time. The guy in the digital camera section was really helpful and friendly and I wound up shelling out $400 (my entire state tax refund) for a new Canon and several accessories.
   I'll probably go back in a few weeks when I get my federal refund back, but the whole experience with the clerks in the mp3 player section kind of irritated me.

:o Um...

You'll just have to take my advice. In all actuality, it's not very different from the iPod Video. I guess at Best Buy it's less expenisive. It's got more pros than cons, and doesn't freeze up or anything, the only thing I can think of it the navigation. It's hard because you'll accidentally select when trying to scroll at times.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/08/06 at 6:11 pm

:o Um...

You'll just have to take my advice. In all actuality, it's not very different from the iPod Video. I guess at Best Buy it's less expenisive. It's got more pros than cons, and doesn't freeze up or anything, the only thing I can think of it the navigation. It's hard because you'll accidentally select when trying to scroll at times.
Oh, I didn't mean anything by that, and I hope you don't think that I was in any way disparaging your advice. After I tried out the iPod I saw the Zen Vision there and remembered how much you said you liked it. They just moved the store across town maybe a week or so ago, and the clerks told me that they'd been having some trouble getting their displays to work since the move, and that the Zen Vision was actually a good, reliable unit. One of the clerks said that he had a Zen Vision himself and he swore by it. If anything I was just disappointed that I didn't get a chance to see how it worked in comparison to the iPod, and I certainly haven't ruled it out, not by a long shot. 

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/08/06 at 6:26 pm

Oh, I didn't mean anything by that, and I hope you don't think that I was in any way disparaging your advice. After I tried out the iPod I saw the Zen Vision there and remembered how much you said you liked it. They just moved the store across town maybe a week or so ago, and the clerks told me that they'd been having some trouble getting their displays to work since the move, and that the Zen Vision was actually a good, reliable unit. One of the clerks said that he had a Zen Vision himself and he swore by it. If anything I was just disappointed that I didn't get a chance to see how it worked in comparison to the iPod, and I certainly haven't ruled it out, not by a long shot. 

I just didn't want you to think it was unreliable since the display one wasn't working  :D

Written By: Morton on 03/08/06 at 6:28 pm

Having problems with mp3 players at the moment. My old one, an MPman (

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/08/06 at 6:31 pm

are the songs the right file type?

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/08/06 at 6:41 pm

I just didn't want you to think it was unreliable since the display one wasn't working  :D
I also saw a couple of Sony mp3 players for between $100 and $150, which were about the size of a Bic lighter and held between 300 and 600 songs, and I was interested in them but the display models of those weren't working either.

Hopefully when I go back in a couple of weeks they'll have everything in order.

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/08/06 at 6:43 pm

I also saw a couple of Sony mp3 players for between $100 and $150, which were about the size of a Bic lighter and held between 300 and 600 songs, and I was interested in them but the display models of those weren't working either.

Hopefully when I go back in a couple of weeks they'll have everything in order.

you could try another Best Buy or something..

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/08/06 at 6:44 pm

you could try another Best Buy or something..
Nah, I'll probably be spending the next couple of weeks figuring out how to work my camera.

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/08/06 at 6:50 pm

Nah, I'll probably be spending the next couple of weeks figuring out how to work my camera.

By the way, Canon Powershots are really nice cameras...  ::)

Actually, they are pretty good in quality. I especially like the short/far focus option.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/08/06 at 6:55 pm

By the way, Canon Powershots are really nice cameras...  ::)

Actually, they are pretty good in quality. I especially like the short/far focus option.
Yeah, that's what I wound up getting. When I was in the store I called my brother up and he gave me some really good advice.
   They had a Kodak for quite a bit less with similar features and megapixels, but the Canon seemed like so much of a step up in quality that it was worth the extra money. I'm still waiting for the battery to charge up so I can begin messing around with it.

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/08/06 at 6:58 pm

Yeah, that's what I wound up getting. When I was in the store I called my brother up and he gave me some really good advice.
   They had a Kodak for quite a bit less with similar features and megapixels, but the Canon seemed like so much of a step up in quality that it was worth the extra money. I'm still waiting for the battery to charge up so I can begin messing around with it.

The Canon is kind of like an iPod. Not THE greatest, a little overrated, and it's what everone gets. It's still great though.

:) I love my camera too.

Written By: Morton on 03/09/06 at 5:31 pm

are the songs the right file type?

According to the manual they are. Typical. I go for the cheaper option to save myself wasting another

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/09/06 at 8:49 pm

According to the manual they are. Typical. I go for the cheaper option to save myself wasting another

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/09/06 at 9:12 pm

The Canon is kind of like an iPod. Not THE greatest, a little overrated, and it's what everone gets. It's still great though.

:) I love my camera too.
I got some pics up in the "Show Us What You Look Like" thread. This camera is pretty freakin awesome!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/09/06 at 9:58 pm

Actually they are not.

Check for new replies or respond here...