inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Moving.

Written By: Jessica on 03/07/06 at 3:11 pm

So it looks like in about two months I will have to leave the relative warmth of California and move halfway across the country to Chicago. So I need people's advice on how to make this a somewhat smooth transition to a new place (where I've NEVER been). Letting me know about different moving companies/rental trucks would be helpful because Uhaul is ridiculously overpriced.  ::)

Thank you.

Subject: Re: Moving.

Written By: nally on 03/07/06 at 3:13 pm

Hmmm...when we made our move almost 5 1/2 years ago, I don't remember which movers we used. However, when we moved out of our mobilehome 12 years ago (after the L.A. earthquake) we went with Bekins and they didn't do such a good job.

So why are you moving across the country? ???

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 3:16 pm

Halfway?  Chicago's about 2/3 of the way to New York.

Anyway, I've done interstate moves before, but not as an adult, so I have no idea!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/07/06 at 4:09 pm

Do a google search on different companies-compare rates and check out the Better Business Bureau to see if there are any complaints and such. Good luck with the move.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/07/06 at 4:57 pm

Good Luck O0

Written By: Jessica on 03/07/06 at 6:42 pm

So why are you moving across the country? ???

Rice Cube is going back to school. The University of Chicago accepted him for their graduate program.

Written By: nally on 03/07/06 at 10:56 pm

When we moved stuff and rented our own truck, we found that Penske seemed to be the most reasonably priced for a one-way rental.

That's what we did too. We rented a truck from some independent company to move all our stuff from storage to our new house. In addition, we had all of our furniture and stuff moved by a company called Wheaton. All of our stuff remained intact except for a couple of bookcases which had glass shelves. We had those replaced.

Written By: karen on 03/08/06 at 3:55 am

Good luck with the move Jessica and Rice (and little whose name I've totally forgotten  :-[ )

Written By: danootaandme on 03/08/06 at 7:30 am

Well you will be going at a nice time of year.  If you have never lived in the snowy climbs moving into a northern city in winter can be grim.  Much better to move in during this time of year, then you will be able to ease your way into winter.  Good luck on the move.

Written By: nally on 03/08/06 at 11:18 am

Good luck with your move, Jess and RC :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/08/06 at 12:15 pm

Rice Cube is going back to school. The University of Chicago accepted him for their graduate program.

That's wonderful!

I hope the move works out for you two and little Jason... :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/08/06 at 1:25 pm

One of my coworkers moved last year and ended up with a sleazeball moving company, that "underestimated" the weight of the stuff being moved, how much of the truck it would use, etc. and charged him three times what they agreed to before they would give him his stuff back.  All perfectly "legal".

Renting a truck if you can rent something you can drive yourselves is a much better bet.  Stay away from U-haul, every time I've helped someone move with one of their crappy trucks, I pray the rust will hold it together long enough to get it back there.

Good luck with the move, glad I've never had to do it myself.

Check for new replies or respond here...